A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: barleychown I need ideas for chicken names - June 8th, 2006 at 10:52 AM
I brought my chicks home from work today! grinnnn

Now they need some names...

Here is what I have:

1 - Silver laced polish
2 - Americana
1 - Silver laced wyandotte
1 - Blue cochin

And I have one more on order. All are pullets, which means they are all going to be hens.

The polish is already named Hettie. laugh

Any good ideas?
Posted By: Merme Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 8th, 2006 at 11:26 AM
I think the Americana should be "Betsy" after Betsy Ross.

The Blue Cochin could be "Babe" after Paul Bunyan's Blue Ox. Or Linda 'coz Rondstat sang "Blue Bayou" so well.

Something with silver AND lace in its heritage could rightfully be called "Belle".

Don't know how GOOD any of my ideas are, but there you have 'em anyway!

Merme
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 8th, 2006 at 01:50 PM
BLUE
Should be named henny penny.

Blue and the sky ..Remember she thought the sky was falling?

dodge gab
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 8th, 2006 at 02:52 PM
Hazel is a good name for a chicken.
That was my pet chicken's name.

She got ran over by a gravel truck.
Posted By: Squirrel Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 8th, 2006 at 03:04 PM
I like Hannah the hen. Sue
Posted By: Tonya Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 8th, 2006 at 03:25 PM
The blue cochin should be Crystal or Gayle as in "Don't it make my brown eyes blue"

The Americana could be Mary or Martha (Mary Todd Lincoln or Martha Dandridge Washington)

I also like Belle for the Silver laced Wyandotte

Just a thought...keep in mind that I named my cat KC for Kitty Cat idea laugh
Posted By: jonni13 Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 9th, 2006 at 01:51 AM
Well, you may be asking the wrong family here. We have a white dog with a black rear end called BlackButt and a gray cat called Gray. No imagination around here.
Posted By: Fernie Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 9th, 2006 at 03:17 AM
laugh laugh Tina you are so funny.

I too was trying to come up with famous chicken names in literature. Henny Penny, Chicken Little and the The Little Red Hen are pretty much all I can come up with. Authors don't have any imagination either. I used to have a Rhode Island Red rooster that we nameed (ta da) Red.

Sorry, Sarah, I am lousy at naming pets.
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 9th, 2006 at 03:24 AM
Fernie

I always felt so bad for Henny Penny.. She thought the sky was going to fall>>>>

Poor HP

laugh laugh flw
Posted By: Fernie Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 9th, 2006 at 03:30 AM
Poor Henny Penny, but have you noticed that chickens are not the brightest birds sometimes?

Duh
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 9th, 2006 at 03:35 AM
fERNIE,

laugh laugh :rolleyes:

I noticed it that time.!!!!!!1ha ha

Maybe why they are called dumb cluck.. teech

dodge

b
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 9th, 2006 at 03:37 AM
Growing up, my friends parents used to name their chickens in pairs, Bob&Betty, Pete and Polly, ect.
Posted By: barleychown Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 9th, 2006 at 04:50 AM
My last hen was Henny Penny! laugh

So far only the blue has named herself...she seems like a Lucy to me.

Traditionally hen names end in a "y" or "ie"...I think 'cause it makes them easier to call. Duh

I do like Hannah and Belle, though....

Thanks guys! Keep it up...
Posted By: Merme Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 9th, 2006 at 05:08 AM
What about Lady for the Americana?

Merme
Posted By: barleychown Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 9th, 2006 at 05:49 AM
My childhood dog was Lady. Man, I miss her!
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 9th, 2006 at 05:51 AM
Thats the name of my mom's dog, Lady and she has a cat named Lucky.
Lady is always popular!!
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 9th, 2006 at 06:28 AM
Hey penny,

How did they deciede which one to eat?
We can't eat bob with out betty?/ ha ha

we know someone here who had a pet chicken that rode bike with him...On the Handle bars. ha ha

dodge..

Oh Barley clown.. My name is Barbie We dont buy me friends..ha ha lala lala
Posted By: princessazlea Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 12:56 AM
Buzby Duh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 01:57 AM
The thing is that the chickens were truely family pets and to evenb think of eating them===no way!!!
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 04:00 AM
laugh laugh laugh

Sorry Charlie......

Barbaque chicken is our sunday favorite..ha ha

Never heard of naming a chicken either.. i am a framer.

barb
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 04:01 AM
princess,

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

b
Posted By: Triss Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 04:26 AM
I did not know people names their hens. Very cool. Do they really come when you call them?

You have loads of names right here at the Forum, you could name them after all of us laugh Many of us end in IE or Y

Merme, Cindy, Trissy, Lozie
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 05:27 AM
Triss......

We never named ours......We ate them..Haha

I hated to raise chickens.. Buy chicken for 39 cents a pound.

However the pet characters.. I use to have banny roosters, as a small child...Never remembered naming any.........
Actually our dog has a name and all we call him is , dog ......He comes......ha ha

Do you 6 kids have a doggie/

barb
Posted By: Triss Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 05:55 AM
No dogs here, no chickens either but I would love to raise them for the eggs. All we have is a cat.
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 08:01 AM
We used to do them for eggs..So dirty to keep clean.......
Now we buy from another farmer..We have one dog and cats, with cows.........

That is all.. I once had 3 horses.

Pigs a couple times and quit......
We milked cows till I got pregnant and we quit. Now it is beef cattle..

barb
Posted By: Triss Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 02:12 PM
I think it would be a great experience for the kids to be able to go and gather eggs and all that. I am looking forward to meeting Sarah's chicks.
Posted By: barleychown Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 03:12 PM
Okay, the two americana's have earned themselves the names Moxie and Roxie...they are quite the spunky little brats. laugh
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Triss:
No dogs here, no chickens either but I would love to raise them for the eggs.
I had chickens at the farm.
The eggs were wonderful...not like the store-bought eggs.
They were so good! grinnnn

Then, that one chicken tried to kill me...and it was never the same.
I was always too afraid of them to go get the eggs after that.

Sarah, I hope you don't have a killer chicken like I did.
If you do, you can name it Cindy! laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 03:40 PM
shk cindy???? i thought it would be named freckles laugh laugh laugh

we've had food chickens and pet chickens... very different, and the pets were named, but i can't think of the names now.
Posted By: Triss Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 03:55 PM
Killer chickens?!?! sca Oh dear. Now you know I will NEVER be able to get them cuz I will be worried one will come after me.
Posted By: barleychown Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 04:26 PM
Hey now...I've had killer chickens, but they were all roosters. Man, they tasted good. laugh

All my hens have been sweet.
Posted By: Triss Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 04:30 PM
Well that is good to know Sarah. Would not wanna lose a finger to one of your wee ones.
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 11:44 PM
Triss

Just wondering where they will put the manure from the chickens? It is too powerful for the garden.Burns the plants.

Farmers put it out in the field.

dodge
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 10th, 2006 at 11:48 PM
perpl

Chickens arent they afraid of Bird flu?

Also dont chickens cause Lice in the hair?

dodge

not all fun an games
Posted By: Triss Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 11th, 2006 at 03:22 AM
I have no idea Barb. Sarah, How are you gonna use your fertilizer and are you worried about the bird flu???
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 11th, 2006 at 03:32 AM
Bird flu will kill us they say!!!!!!

Why incourage it ?

b
Posted By: tamara Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 11th, 2006 at 03:47 AM
I was thinking of getting some chickens, we already have cows so it's just another few mouths to feed, couldn't get any small pigs this year either. Chicken here is $2.49 a pound. It is getting too expensive for meat.

Having chickens with bird flu is like having cows with 'mad cow' the chances are very slim to nothing. Chickens also do not spread lice to humans. Dodge, what kind of beef cattle do you raise?
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 11th, 2006 at 04:05 AM
Originally posted by barleychown:
I've had killer chickens, but they were all roosters. Man, they tasted good. laugh

All my hens have been sweet.
The one that tried to kill me was a hen.
She was sitting on eggs and I wanted an egg sandwich! laugh
MY fault!

Having chickens with bird flu is like having cows with 'mad cow' the chances are very slim to nothing. Chickens also do not spread lice to humans.
thumbup
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 11th, 2006 at 05:05 AM
tamara

White face beef cattle.Hereford. red and white.

Will post a photo for you..
We buy chicken in the store for 39 cents a pound and think it is cheaper than buying feed.
We both hate raising them.. The killing and cleaning part .
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 11th, 2006 at 05:17 AM
The killing and cleaning part
shk
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 11th, 2006 at 05:37 AM
tamara

Here is our cows this spring.. First calf of the year.

Enjoy... [Linked Image]

dodge
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 11th, 2006 at 05:39 AM
afgrey parrot,

Yes the killing and cleaning part..Uggggggggggg.

Stinks........

We love chicken soup with parsley ,onions carrots and chicken.Yummmmmmmm
Pet owners will screammmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

dodge dev dev dev
Posted By: Francine Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 11th, 2006 at 03:32 PM
how bout...huey,dewey and louis...don t forget donald!!!
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 11th, 2006 at 05:42 PM
My son's pet hen was named Sparkey. Then a fox ate her. Mine was BuffOrpie (guess what breed) and the roosters were Big Pretty and Big Ugly. A few of the others had descriptive names, but I could never tell the white ones appart. I loved to go in the henhouse at night and listen to them cooing. So peaceful, so calming... I miss them.
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 12th, 2006 at 03:33 AM
Was it White Rocks/

dodge
Posted By: patunia Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 12th, 2006 at 01:47 PM
we moved to town about 11 years ago and i still miss my chickens the most out of everything from the country. i never named any of them except our rooster, we just called him ralph. we had the rhode island reds, loved those big brown eggs. and the manure, well in the winter i just piled it on the asparagus patch, straw and all, the asparagus was so deep that by the time all the stong stuff washed in it was okay...the rest of it just went into the rows between plantings in the 30x80 foot veggie garden, kinda stinky for a day or more but it fades fast in the hot oklahoma sun, and then i would occasionally turn the chickens out in there and they would stir and scratch everything in pretty good for me if i had been too slow with the hoe. but that big garden, now that was ALOT of work. now i just grow salsa, you know, onions, tomatoes, peppers and cilantro. wink
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 12th, 2006 at 02:24 PM
patunia

Why did you move to town?

Dont think I can hack town............

dodge
Posted By: Bernice Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 12th, 2006 at 06:09 PM
My four hens were named
Henny Penny, Mrs Speckles, Psycho Sal, and Black Betty. They ran free range around the farm usually, and we put them away at night in their little hen house.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 13th, 2006 at 12:13 AM
Bernice

Nice photo...........

I didnt dare let them run loose.......They poop all over the lawn,, i didn't like that.. Scratched out alll the flowers too......

However I see how you knew them apart .. 4 different colors......Mine was all alike ,ha ha

dodge wavey
Posted By: Shawna M Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 14th, 2006 at 05:54 PM
I posted my chicks names in the pet post, but figured I would redo it here...all banties...
The rooster - Ichabod/Ichabutt
The girls - McChicken, Chirpy, Sticky Feet, Chip and Dale...my 5 year old named all but McChicken - named by my SO - and Ichabod - by me.

We've never had chickens before, and are composting the waste. My SO also is building a chicken tractor for them, which should be interesting. McChicken is getting trained to be our stealth mosquito killer and is definately the smartest out of all of them and the easiest to catch. Who needs TV when you have chicks?
Posted By: dodge Re: I need ideas for chicken names - June 15th, 2006 at 03:27 AM
Send me the photo of the tractor..Never seen one..

Ha ha
glad you like them.........

tell us more.

dodge clp
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]