A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Amigatec Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 10:22 AM
Here is some of what I canned this year.

Top row:

Roma Green Beans
Red Sour Kraut
Pickled Jalapenos

Second Row:

Roma Greens Beans and New Potatoes
Dill Pickles
Tomato Juice
Tomato Wedges
[Linked Image]

Third Row:

Tomato Sauce
Apple Sauce
Bread and Butter Pickles (In Back)
Smoked Pureed Jalapenos

Fourth Row:

Peach Jam
Plum Jam
Apple Jelly

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 10:26 AM
Plus I have a little bit in the freezer.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 10:41 AM
Great job Pat!! thumbup
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 11:00 AM
I just put up the Peach Jam today.

Some of that is from last year, but 80% is this years.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 12:51 PM
shk Wow!!! Pat, could you PLEASE post your recipe for the smoked pureed jalapenos??

Everything looks fantastic!!!
Posted By: comfrey Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 12:59 PM
Wow Pat you have been busy Looks great!!!!!

So far all I have canned is green beans, sweet pickles, sweet pepper relish & sweet pickle relish. I will do apples in the fall and my taters are still in the ground. I also have a freezer full of okra & squash.
Posted By: Squirrel Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 01:09 PM
Gee, Pat, you HAVE been busy! clp Gathering for the winter huh. laugh Thanks for sharing. Sue
Posted By: charoopy Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 01:17 PM
I haven't canned anything in years. Have always loved the jelly. I used to make it from pineapple juice. Sure was good.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 01:20 PM
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
shk Wow!!! Pat, could you PLEASE post your recipe for the smoked pureed jalapenos??

Well it is simple.
I smoked them in the smoker and pureed them in the blender, and added some generic pickling brine.

I use 5 cups of Vinegar, 1 cup of water, and 4 teaspoons of salt. Bring all of this to a boil and add however enough to the peppers to make it smooth.

And whatever is left over stores nicely on the shelf, you don't have to refrigerate the left over brine. I use this brine for just about anything I pickle. (You can add whatever flavorings you want for other uses.)

Then jar it up, it's good as an additive for just about anything, it adds a nice smokey, hot pickled taste to what ever you add it too.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Gee, Pat, you HAVE been busy! clp Gathering for the winter huh. laugh Thanks for sharing. Sue
And come January I can open a jar of Green Beans and New Potatoes!!!

Canning is a lot of work, but I enjoy it.

I still have AppleButter to make!!! YUMMMM!!!!!!
Posted By: Triss Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 01:26 PM
YUM!!! Will be doing that one for sure.

Also, your apple jelly looks so clear! It all looks great Pat!
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Triss:
YUM!!! Will be doing that one for sure.

Also, your apple jelly looks so clear! It all looks great Pat!
Well the apple jelly was a 'by product', I made Applesauce, and Applebutter, and had some peals, and cores to do something with. So I bought some SureGel and made some jelly.
Posted By: Triss Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 01:45 PM
Well it looks good!! And now I know why it is so clear, I bet you just strained all the icky stuff out and ended up with that great looking juice leftover! Good idea!
Posted By: ShirlS Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 01:52 PM
Wow we shoudl be calling you Busy Beaver!! Your stash looks great Pat!
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 01:55 PM
I was afraid it wouldn't taste very good. I had to add some water in order to get enough juice to make the Jelly. But after I tasted it and it was just fine.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 7th, 2006 at 01:57 PM
Originally posted by ShirlS:
Wow we shoudl be calling you Busy Beaver!! Your stash looks great Pat!
I am just about out of jars, I need to find some more. I have a lot of jelly jars, 1/2, and 1/4 pints, but just about out of pints and quarts.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Canned Goods - August 8th, 2006 at 11:46 AM
WOOOOOOWW A canner after my own heart I love Applebutter clp

AHHH How far away are you guys from Dallas?? Me and Jimmy may just have to make a road trip!!! lala
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Canned Goods - August 8th, 2006 at 11:53 PM
I wish I knew how to can things. ters
Your shelves of canned goods look wonderful.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Canned Goods - August 11th, 2006 at 04:56 AM
Originally posted by ChristinaC:

I WAS THINKING THE EXACT SAME THING....

Pat, you are one awesome dude....
Give yourself one gia~gando pat on the back...
A job wellllllllll done....
(insert gremalin's holding award)
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 11th, 2006 at 12:34 PM
Well canning IS a lot of work, but the wife won't let have a Girl Friend. I have to have something to do!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh frown frown frown frown

P.S. Weezie your Mailbox is full.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 11th, 2006 at 12:40 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Wrennie:
<strong> I wish I knew how to can things. thumbup clp
Posted By: Triss Re: Canned Goods - August 11th, 2006 at 12:43 PM
Oh yum Pat, that one sounds really good!
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Canned Goods - August 11th, 2006 at 01:25 PM
i have a water bath canning 'kit' and book but I'm scared to try. Something about boiling water and glass.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 11th, 2006 at 01:42 PM
I place the jars in a 250* oven to keep them warm, put the flat in a small sauce pan, at just under a boil. And I keep the tea kettle full of hot water just in case I need to add some water to the canner.

And what ever I am canning I ALWAYS hot pack, I have cracked a few jars, but if the jars are hot you won't have any problems.

I don't use a metal plate in the bottom of the canner, but my pressure cooker came with one that will work, but my big sauce pot really isn't as tall as it needs tot be so I don't use the plate, I do use it when I can with the Pressure Cooker.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Canned Goods - August 11th, 2006 at 01:48 PM
Well canning IS a lot of work, but the wife won't let have a Girl Friend.
You could let her have a boyfriend, and then he could do it all! laugh thumbup
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 11th, 2006 at 02:27 PM
Originally posted by loz:
Well canning IS a lot of work, but the wife won't let have a Girl Friend.
You could let her have a boyfriend, and then he could do it all! laugh thumbup
And then maybe I can get some piece and quiet!!!! thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Canned Goods - August 11th, 2006 at 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Amigatec:
Well canning IS a lot of work, but the wife won't let have a Girl Friend. I have to have something to do!!! laugh laugh frown frown frown frown

P.S. Weezie your Mailbox is full.
That is tooo funny!!!
*I Like what Loz said too, my husband is always jokin' I need to get boyfriend, then he can do half the work around here that I want done...*
Toooo funny!!!

Um, it's unfilled now Pat...I emptied a few..
*it's a never winning battle with my mailbox around here, it's like shoveling snow in a blizzard..* wink laugh

That really is some gorgeous work...

Next you need to get one of the "Air~sucker~outters" machines to do your freezing with... *I have one of those puppies,
and love it.*
Posted By: comfrey Re: Canned Goods - August 11th, 2006 at 03:37 PM
Well the apple jelly was a 'by product', I made Applesauce, and Applebutter, and had some peals, and cores to do something with. So I bought some SureGel and made some jelly.
We don't care for apple jelly...so instead I just can the juice, so we have apple butter, applesauce & apple juice. Apparently You & I use the same method to make our butter and sauce, taking advantage of every part of the apple, with very little waste. thumbup
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 12:27 AM
Weezie, I love my air sucker outter machine!
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 01:29 AM
Originally posted by weezie13:
[QUOTE]Next you need to get one of the "Air~sucker~outters" machines to do your freezing with... *I have one of those puppies,
and love it.*
I have one of those also, but it takes a time to get it down right.

I have found that after you blanch you have to drain REAL good, any water at all will not allow the bag to fully seal.

They recommend that you pre freeze real wet items, like greens, before using the Seal-A-Meal.

I think I just about have that part down. I do freeze some things like Brussels Sprouts, but almost everything is canned. (I need more jars.)
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 01:31 AM
Originally posted by comfrey:
We don't care for apple jelly...so instead I just can the juice, so we have apple butter, applesauce & apple juice. Apparently You & I use the same method to make our butter and sauce, taking advantage of every part of the apple, with very little waste. thumbup
I 'may' try to make some Apple Cider this year, not the hard stuff, just plain Cider. The Apple harvest is a few weeks away.

It's nice having an Orchard just a few miles away.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 01:45 AM
My Grampy used to make Apple Cidar.
A longggg time ago..
He'd do it in a press and a BURLAP BAG..
*I can still taste that burlap bag..*
but Greattttttttt Memories...
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 02:48 AM
That is verrrrrrrrrry true Pat...
I think I've seen a new machine, *I probably saw it on QVC or HSN, but it had a special button that said MOIST or something like that, and it sucked it a different way now for the really watery items*
I would like to have that feature...
Posted By: Triss Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 08:30 AM
Can someone tell me the difference between a pressure canner and a regular one? What cannot be done in a regular canner?
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 10:07 AM
Can someone tell me the difference between a pressure canner and a regular one? What cannot be done in a regular canner?
There are only 2 types of Canners I know of.

The first is a Pressure Canner. It is thick and heavy with a Lid that locks in place. It has a Pressure Guage, and a weight with a petcock on top. The really old one's like mine has an 'Automatic Air Vent' but on Presto Canners this was discontinued in 1974. The Canner I have is a "Maid of Honor" by Sears, but built by Presto, so Presto parts will fit it.

The other type is the Water Bath Canner. I use a large 8 quart stock pot for this.

With a Pressure canner I use 2 quarts of water on the bottom, with a Water bath Canner you have to completely cover the jars with boiling water.

Most fruits can be canned in a Hot Water Bath, but most Vegetables have to be canned with a Pressure Canner, it depends on the amount of acid the food has.

Tomatoes 'can' be canned in a Water Bath canner if you add some Lemon Juice or Vinegar. I perfer to Pressure Can everything I can.
Posted By: Triss Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 11:08 AM
Ok so the fruits I am planning to can are ok.

With salsa, is lime juice as good as lemon if I want to do the water bath kind?

I just got one of them so I would have a rack and want to make sure I can do salsa safely in it.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 11:38 AM
Lime juice should do it, just make sure you have enough, if you look up a few recipes you should get some idea how much to use.

If I Water Bath quart jars I use my Turkey Fryer, just fill the pot with water, and insert jars.

Works good for me.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 12:46 PM
Triss,
There's also some good pointers about canning if
you look up a member named Lucy Lou, she did
alot of it, and worked with the County Extensions...
Posted By: Triss Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 01:08 PM
Thanks both of you! I am doing the apples now, getting them ready for apple butter and the peels and cores for apple jelly. Only used 1/3 of the apples. laugh
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 01:32 PM
When I am not sure about canning something I look it up on the web and compare different methods and instructions, and look for the way that seems to be the best, or the easiest.

What's best for one is not best for all.

The first time I used my pressure canner I was a bit scared, after all it is a 1957 model, and it looks really bad from all the years of use. The instruction booklet talked about using this canner on wood and coal powered stoves!!!

(Yes I can still buy parts for it)

I brought the pressure up real slow, and placed a chair in front and didn't take my eyes off of it for the whole time. I was afraid the seals might be bad or something. Or worst that I would have green beans flying through the air!!!

But after using it a few times, anymore after I clamp the lid on, I crank the heat up all the way.

All stoves heat differently, I have a glass top stove and some manufacturers don't recommend using a canner on a flat top, due to the heat and weight. But the book that came with mine said it was ok.

I know of some people that go out the Farmers Market and buy a truck load of produce and put up 53 quarts of greens beans during the weekend. That seems like a TO much work for me.

I can small amounts, I like using my Pressure COOKER for this, yes you can use a COOKER as a CANNER. I have a 6 quart Presto Cooker and will hold 4 pints at a time. Look in the Recipe section for the instructions on how.

Canning can be a lot of work, but I enjoy doing it, you don't need any help, I do all of mine by myself.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 01:34 PM
Thanks both of you! I am doing the apples now, getting them ready for apple butter and the peels and cores for apple jelly. Only used 1/3 of the apples. laugh
You have some left for Apple Pie!!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 01:36 PM
I was thinking that for Triss's post..
Gosh, apple pie sounds heavenly!
Posted By: chenno Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 03:02 PM
Darn....I can about all things, not fruit...my area is not to good for it> I dry them? good luck:-) sounds fun!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 03:12 PM
Boy, I love Applebutter. It's just not as good when you buy it in the store. I'm coming for breakfast.
Posted By: Triss Re: Canned Goods - August 12th, 2006 at 03:58 PM
Oh I made the apple pie first. Apple blackberry actually. Have not tried it yet though. Did get 6 -1/2 pints of the jelly and a crockpot full of the apple butter. It is so good. Gonna low cook it all night and can it in the morning.

Angie, I will trade you apple butter and jelly for salsa, ok?
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canned Goods - August 13th, 2006 at 12:50 AM
I like to start my Apple Butter early in the morning and can it at night. But either way works good.

If fact I'm think I'm going to have some Apple Butter for Breakfast today.

P.S. You can also make Pear Butter as well, I 'may' try that this year, a guy at work is going to bring me some pears.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Canned Goods - August 13th, 2006 at 05:08 AM
Alllllll this talk about Applebutter....
I had to go and buy some...
*we used to eat it as kids*

Do any of you ever remember eating something called "HONEYBUTTER"????
It came in the stores in a tub like??
Posted By: Triss Re: Canned Goods - August 13th, 2006 at 05:34 AM
Pear butter would be a huge hit with Patrick. He loves pears. Will have to look for those at the market as well.

Weezie, my parents used to make honeybutter all the time. Had them on sopapillas. Yummy stuff!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Canned Goods - August 13th, 2006 at 07:21 AM
What do they do, put honey and butter together?? Duh
Posted By: Triss Re: Canned Goods - August 13th, 2006 at 07:47 AM
Yep, just soften a stick of butter and add about 1/4 cup of honey to it and mix it all up. Store it in the fridge in an old butter dish. Works with both butter and margarine.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]