A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Thornius A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 14th, 2006 at 09:55 AM
My grandson, wife and I yook a trip to the world's ONLY full-scale replica of The Parthenon. It is located about 3 miles west of Downtown Nashville, TN, in Centennial Park. It includes as exact a reproduction of the statue of the Goddess Athena as can be made from historical accounts of the times. Here are some pictures.

THE PARTHENON
[Linked Image]

YOU MUST BE THIS TALL TO SACRIFICE A BULL TO ATHENA
[Linked Image]

ATHENA AND NIKE
[Linked Image]

ATHENA AND NIKE (With mere mortals for size comparison)
[Linked Image]

And YES, Folks, that IS REAL gold on the statue and NOT gold Paint.
Posted By: Triss Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 14th, 2006 at 12:01 PM
Those are some awesome pics Thorny! Thanks for sharing with us!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 14th, 2006 at 12:38 PM
Good pictures!! What an interesting place to visit! thumbup
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 14th, 2006 at 05:53 PM
Very Cool Thorny!! I am sure your grandson had a Great time!! thanks for sharing!
Posted By: G~mom Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 14th, 2006 at 05:54 PM
Great pics,Thorny thumbup I bet ya'll had a wonderful time.

Thanks for sharing clp
Posted By: chenno Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 14th, 2006 at 08:10 PM
Thorn, I just loved your pics! how interesting that must have been.I really enjoyed them, Thanks!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 16th, 2006 at 08:24 PM
did you picnic in the park beside it and feed the ducks in the lake?
Posted By: Thornius Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 16th, 2006 at 11:12 PM
AHHH! You've been there, Jiffy! We didn't feed the ducks this time. We fed the squirrels. See my post about the squirrels in the Critter Corner. I have been going to the Parthenon since I was a newborn. I was born one mile southeast of it. Centennial Park and The Parhtenon were built around 1896 for the Centennial Celebration of the State of Tennessee being admitted to the Union. Originally they had copies of many of the world's great architectural achievements, but all but The Parthenon were torn down after the celebration. Centennial park is the Northern Terminus of the Natchez Trace, one of the oldest (over 2000 years old)roads in North America. It runs from Centennial Park in Nashville, Tennessee to Natchez, Mississippi. Merriweather Lewis, of the Lewis and Clark expedition, died at an inn on this road in Tennessee and is buried nearby. The original road bed is still PLAINLY visible along much of its length. I have walked in the deep groove it makes, while birdwatching in the Warner Parks in West Nashville.
Posted By: badplanter Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 17th, 2006 at 02:31 AM
wow, great pics!!

Thanks for sharing! thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 17th, 2006 at 03:30 AM
yes, i've been there, about 12 years ago. had a picnic and fed the ducks. i had forgotten all about it till you posted! thanks for sharing great memories.
Posted By: Thornius Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 17th, 2006 at 03:33 AM
If you look you will see Athena holding the Greek Goddess of Victory , NIKE (Yes, of the tennis shoe fame) in her right hand. Notice Athena's pet snake standing on her left between her and her shield. The amount of detail is amazing, sorta like one of those find the hidden pictures you find in kids magazines or video games. It's great fun trying to find all the nest things hidden on her. Snakes were sacred to Athena. Athena was the Greek Goddess of Wisdom and War, hence the spear, armor, and shield. She was also the Goddess of Beauty but not of love. If you sailors are looking for a good time, go find Aphrodite, the Greek Goddess of Love.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 17th, 2006 at 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Thornius:
If you look you will see Athena holding the Greek Goddess of Victory , NIKE (Yes, of the tennis shoe fame) in her right hand. Notice Athena's pet snake standing on her left between her and her shield. The amount of detail is amazing, sorta like one of those find the hidden pictures you find in kids magazines or video games. It's great fun trying to find all the nest things hidden on her.
I had to go back and look again!! WOW How awesome this must be to see it up close!
Posted By: Tonya Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 18th, 2006 at 12:58 AM
WOW!!! Nice pics, Thorny!! I want to go there one day- and take the kids, so they can learn a bit! thumbup
Posted By: Thornius Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 18th, 2006 at 01:12 AM
A footnote: The statue of the Goddess Nike being held by Athena is actually the size of a human being. Athena herself is the height of a 4-story building and that IS 22-carat gold leaf covering the statues.
Posted By: Tonya Re: A Trip to Ancient Greece - September 18th, 2006 at 01:36 AM
Cool!! It must be amazing to be standing at her feet! ters I wanna go!!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]