A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: dragonfly9 Soil mixture for growing seeds - July 15th, 2005 at 06:13 AM
Hello fellow garden lovers!
I have a question. I have been trying to create a soil mixture that works for seeds that are prone to seed-rot. Asters would be a good example of this...
I'm still having trouble. Would it be possible for you to share with me your own 'mixture' for your soil?

What I have tried:
regular soil at the bottom of the pot
seed mixture (peat moss) at the top
Duh
Thank you in advance!

Gwen
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Soil mixture for growing seeds - July 15th, 2005 at 06:33 AM
Hi Gwen

Welcome to the forum. I don't think I've met you before. I hope you have good luck with your project. I'm a new gardener. I just buy whatever is suggested at for the seed at the store. But wouldn't you want a mixture of extra sand in the soil to insure drainage if they rot easily? And the seed mixtures that I get have those water retaining pellets in them I would think that might not be great. But like I said I'm a beginner and don't know anything. I'm sure someone who knows bunches will be along shortly.
Posted By: dragonfly9 Re: Soil mixture for growing seeds - July 15th, 2005 at 11:15 AM
Thank you so much tkhooper,

I will certainly try some sand. I am a new gardener myself, and am happy to have any advice!
I'll get back to you about the results!
Cheers,

Gwen wink
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Soil mixture for growing seeds - July 15th, 2005 at 05:06 PM
Hi Gwen,

I'll be looking forward to hearing. Good Luck.
Posted By: JV Re: Soil mixture for growing seeds - July 15th, 2005 at 06:00 PM
wavey Dragonfly9 I too have not met you so a Texas welcome.I soak my seeds over night with Root Stimulater. What I use for most of my seeds I start with Miracle grow potting mix add some of my compost also I wouldn't add any peat moss as it holds water. I do use a few of the pellets Tammy told you about how much depends on how much soil I will need.After the seeds germinate I also use Texas Green sand as well as lava sand to the above for planting. I use a mixture of seaweed or fish emulsion in water I also use other mixtures for watering in when I plant have had fairly good luck. wink Also if seeds are hard type like HYbiscus you will need to scarify them this is done by chiping some of the seed or some people use sand paper just enough to get liquid into the seed. Hope this helps. flw
Jimmy
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Soil mixture for growing seeds - July 15th, 2005 at 06:05 PM
See I knew someone would come along to help you out. You listen to Jimmy he's a sweetheart and a great gardener too.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Soil mixture for growing seeds - July 23rd, 2005 at 07:29 PM
Gwen,
When out shopping, look for a bag that says,
Seed starting mixture...those have exactly what they need for starting a plant..

*no fertilizers in my plain bagged dirt for seeds, they come with all the "stuff" they need to grow inside the shell of them from when the momma plant forms them....*

For me personally, I do a mixture of a plain bagged potting soil, compost, and perlite...for an airy consistancy..because I have alot of compost...

and I NEVER water seedlings from the top...
always from a tray underneath them...

Can I ask what kind of seeds gave you a problem???
And maybe we can narrow some of it down for you...
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]