A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Gorbie Greetings - June 3rd, 2005 at 07:34 AM
I'm new here, and figured I'd introduce myself.

I'm 30ish, working as tech support, and hobbying as gardener. My grandfather was a professional horticulturist, and my father was as well, until about 5 years ago. Gardening has run in our family since it came to Canada in the mid 1700's.

My family consists of 3 cats, 1 dog, and neighbors. The cats are Gorbie (mom 8lbs), Pcan (dad, 32lbs) and Jazz (son of Gorbie and Pcan weighs in at 25 lbs) and Goldie, my cocker spaniel, who's a goof (its a compliment in my household).

I'm addicted to gardening, pepsi with a lot of ice (and a straw please), Tiramisu, Coffee Ice cream, Sesame sauce and home made quessadillas.

I'm currently in a sunflower, morning glory "mode" where I'll plant every type of seed I can find. I've also just got some glaminis, dahlias, agapanthus and lilies (in bulbs) and need to figure out what to do with them. I also purchased 2 grape vines, concord and seedless red, which I have NO idea what to do with, but my mom loves the concords, and I the red (and these will if they grow, save us a lot of money).

I was also struck by the beauty of the nature photos (my screen is now covered in drool, and it ain't the dog's!) and wanted to know what camera gear they were taken with.

I have 4 flower beds as of tonight, 2 of which hold my Aquilegia Columbine collections, and some Hostas. I have a huge oriental poppy, that will flower for the first time this year, (YAY!) as well as 2 peonies, one of which came back from the dead as kids tried to pull it out last year frown (I had 4 bleeding hearts, but only 2 were left after they were pulled.) I have a "memorial bed", that I've put flowers in for people I've lost and miss. The newest bed has my newest acquisition, its far enough away so the plants won't contaminate everything else.

Lastly, I personally hate cedars, as they attract bugs and mosquitoes, and I cannot bear the smell. So, what to do when you rent somewhere and you have a 10 foot patch of overgrown cedars? I pruned them (properly lol! I don't like them but I won't kill em) and removed all dead stuff (which had not been done in like 10 years! Then, I planted morning glories, on the sides and in the front (back gets no sun). Last year, I'd done only the sides, and people were stopping to look, it was rather interesting. This year, if all goes well, the cedars should be buried under the glories smile If it turns out, I'll take pics and post the link.

And as usual, I'm writing a book. sigh. So, hi to everyone, and be forewarned, I'm usually the crazy one in the bunch, going from hyper to melloooow in 1.5 second. Please to meet you all!

So, that's it.
Cheers,
Gorbie
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Greetings - June 3rd, 2005 at 03:37 PM
Welcome Gorbie,

I think you will fit right in lol. Of course your going to have stiff competition for the "crazy one in the bunch" around here. There are alot of contenders lol. I agree Bills pictures are amazing. "drool on screen" yeah, I can go there. I may have a black thumb but my computer has one fantastic garden on it lol.

Enjoy yourself and get to know everyone. They are a fun loving bunch.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]