A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: mrsmessy My Dad - December 6th, 2005 at 11:23 PM
In the morning I am leaving for PA to try to help my elderly parents make some decisions. It was supposed to be a trip to help them move to my sisters house because of my dad's failing health. Now, without any warning, his whole body has stopped functioning. Since last week he has become almost completely paralyzed, can't feed himself, can't move his hands, can't urinate, etc.. but his mind is as sharp as ever. A CT scan yesterday revealed an "unidentified object" in his neck - not a tumor, doctors don't know what it is but they want to take it out. He is having a myelogram today that will hopefully give some indication of what it is. He is so frail that I'm afraid he won't survive the surgery.

Please pray for him, as well as strength for my mother and wisdom for all of us that we will know what to do. Thank you.
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: My Dad - December 6th, 2005 at 11:36 PM
Prayers on the way, Bev. I am so sorry to hear that he is having so many problems...

Dianna
Posted By: peppereater Re: My Dad - December 6th, 2005 at 11:43 PM
We're pulling for you, and him. thumbup luv
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: My Dad - December 6th, 2005 at 11:59 PM
Bev...you certainly have my prayers. kissies

Cindy
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 12:12 AM
Sending you strength and hugs during this difficult time, Bev. kissies
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 12:21 AM
Oh Bev, many prayers being sent out to you and your family..... kissies angell
Posted By: barleychown Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 12:24 AM
My prayers are added to those already sent. angell
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 12:42 AM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bestofour Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 12:54 AM
Ditto.
Posted By: Patty S Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 01:05 AM
Sending good thoughts & prayers for you and your family, that you might provide each other with strengthening love & comfort needed during such an uncertain & scary time.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Merme Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 01:14 AM
All prayers, always.

Please keep us posted when you can.

Merme
Posted By: JV Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 01:41 AM
mrsmessy all my prayers [Linked Image]for your dad and for the best of news also sending prayers of comfort and strength for your mother and you entire family . I know the feeling all to well of an ailing parent as my mother is day to day could go anytime.
Jimmy
Posted By: Triss Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 01:54 AM
Bev,

Praying not only for your dad, but your entire family during this trying time. And for the hospital staff that they may work quickly and efficiently so that your dad can recover. You are in my thoughts.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 06:23 AM
Bev...we will remember you and your family in our daily thoughts & prayers. I hope that you will be able to keep us posted on your father's conditions. We are asking for traveling mercies for you as well.... kissies

~V~
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 08:36 AM
Bev,
All prayers from me too- and for all your family...
~~~Nana~~~~~~
Posted By: Merme Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 08:40 AM
I put a reminder about this up in the Prayer And Get Well Wishes thread, too.

Merme
Posted By: weezie13 Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 01:37 PM
Bev,
You will be in my prayers... kissies kissies kissies and dad kissies will be tooooooo!!!

Faith ..

When you come to the end of all the light you know and you are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: there will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught how to fly.

In Every Journey ..

In every journey there is meaning.
In every conflict, there is growth.
In every action, there is purpose.
In every moment of doubt, remember to believe in yourself!

Posted By: Francine Re: My Dad - December 7th, 2005 at 03:23 PM
bev.

we re praying for you over this side of the border also.good luck and think possitive,it s half the success. kissies

franny signin out and wishing you good night.
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: My Dad - December 8th, 2005 at 02:35 AM
Thank you all - your prayers and kind words mean more to me than I can express. I've delayed going because my girl is sick but have to leave now to beat the weather - probably won't have computer access until I get home. Thank you again.
Posted By: Merme Re: My Dad - December 20th, 2005 at 07:48 AM
HAS ANYBODY HEARD FROM BEV?

Merme
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: My Dad - December 20th, 2005 at 07:58 AM
Nope...I've been thinking about her so much...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My Dad - December 20th, 2005 at 10:52 AM
bev... how's it going? we are still praying for you and your's
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: My Dad - December 21st, 2005 at 06:07 AM
hello - I arrived back in the middle of the night and am seriously sleep deprived. Dad came home from the hospital on Sat after a little over two weeks. We really don't know much more than we did when he went in other than that he has two herniated discs in his neck that seem to be paralyzing his hands and causing incontinence. He has a catheter and cannot control his bowels, can't turn himself, and can't feed himself. He also has a hiatal hernia, gallstones, kidney stone, lumbar arthritis, and his lungs are shutting down. Overall the damage caused by the strokes was much less than the disc problems.

His mind is still sharp but nothing else works and when he is uncomfortable or in pain he becomes almost irrational and can only think of his pain and what we have to do about it right this second!!!! Consequently he doesn't think about the problem he is causing my mother (or me) by calling for help several times a night. Then he apologizes when he is settled for being such a bother. I tell him he's not a bother he is just a challenge. After two weeks I really needed to come home and feel terrible leaving my mother to deal with the situation. They have agreed to hire a little (a very little) help and next Wednesday they are moving to my sisters house.

One thing I learned while I was gone is that lay people can spot strokes almost as well as neurologists by asking a suspected stroke victim to do 3 things - smile, raise both arms above their heads, and say a simple sentence (such as, I had corn flakes for breakfast, or, the sky is blue today)- lack of symetry in the smile and arms and inability to say or repeat a sentence is a warning sign.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: peppereater Re: My Dad - December 21st, 2005 at 06:27 AM
Bev...no one checking in much here today, but everyone will be glad to see you back. Welcome home! And best wishes.
Posted By: melcon6 Re: My Dad - December 21st, 2005 at 06:34 AM
There's no place like home really, I'm sorry for your ordeal and will still remember your father and mother(poor thing) in my thoughts and prayers. It's good to have you back here.
Posted By: Triss Re: My Dad - December 21st, 2005 at 06:37 AM
Glad to see you back Bev. I am so sorry that your dad is going through so much right now and that is causing so much hardship to you and your mom. Your family will continue to be in my prayers.
Posted By: JV Re: My Dad - December 21st, 2005 at 08:26 AM
Bev glad your back home safe. Praying and for your dad and mother and for you and your family for strength I know how hard this is.
Jimmy
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: My Dad - December 21st, 2005 at 02:46 PM
Bev...praying you are getting some much needed rest! And will continue to remember your mom and dad..thanks for the update..please keep us posted on how your dad is doing...
luv

~V~
Posted By: Fernie Re: My Dad - December 21st, 2005 at 03:08 PM
Bev, thanks for the update and the stroke indicators. You and your family remain in my prayers.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: My Dad - December 21st, 2005 at 10:12 PM
Bev - sending hugs and strength for you to get through this difficult time. Thanks for posting those warning signs - most helpful!
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: My Dad - December 21st, 2005 at 11:03 PM
Thank you all.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]