A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: 4Ruddy Where's the hummers??????? - June 23rd, 2005 at 02:29 PM
Last year we had 7 hummers all summer...pretty good for the first year of feeders. In April they were coming back and then dissapeared for a few weeks. Mr.Bill said it was maybe due to our crazy weather this year and the flowers not being in bloom yet. Well, they did come back...and I added 2 new feeders. For some reason they are gone again...haven't seen one hummer in almost 2 weeks! What's up with that? Duh I miss my little fine feathered friends! ters
Posted By: Angeliastreefrog Re: Where's the hummers??????? - June 24th, 2005 at 02:43 PM
Don't feel bad. I've only seen 1 this whole summer. My feeders remain lonely, my flowers are untouched...my garden sprinkler, however was a lovely shower to one little rascal last week. i dunno where they are or what they're doing...they're not here though!
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Where's the hummers??????? - June 25th, 2005 at 08:19 AM
I just hate that! I miss my buddies really bad! I was so thinking that I had done something wrong....
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Where's the hummers??????? - June 25th, 2005 at 10:00 AM
I don't know what's up with them.
I have tons of them constantly...my dad hasn't seen any at all.
Maybe it's my yard...with all the flowers. Duh
He put his feeders out the same week I did (April 14), changes his nectar all the time to keep it fresh...and not one hummingbird.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Where's the hummers??????? - June 25th, 2005 at 11:21 AM
I think they will come around the 4th of July. That's when I usually start getting them back to my feeders after they finish fledging their young, which is what they are doing right now. Also I do not have goldfinches yet either but have several hundred sunflower plants of various varieties growing and blooming around my house right now so it shouldn't be long until the Goldfinches arrive.
Posted By: livingwithnature Re: Where's the hummers??????? - June 25th, 2005 at 11:57 PM
I too had a similar experience with the hummers. I saw my first one around Middle of May and they were here for a couple of weeks and then NOTHING. I even spent xtra $$ on buying different feeders. I couldn't figure out why they were missing. I was deligent about keeping the feeders clean and refreshed and nothing, but now they are back thank god. I was missing them as well. I think that Thornius' theory that the hummers were busy with their nests and babies is the only explanation I can figure and makes the most sense. At least in my case. I live in Norhtern NJ but wasn't sure when they started nesting. Anyway, Hope the hummers come back to you real soon. Glad someone posted this, I don't feel so wacky. smile
Posted By: mom54 Re: Where's the hummers??????? - June 26th, 2005 at 11:14 PM
Boy, I thought I was the only one with hummer problems. I've only seen 3 of them. I'm hoping there'll be more in July when the babies start flying. I wonder if they had trouble migrating this year. The weather HAS been wacky. Duh
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 4th, 2005 at 01:03 AM
Well, you all were right (again!) Here it is the 3rd and I have HUMMERS!!!! What a welcome sight! I made fresh food last night and so far we have seen 2 this morning.....I am sure their buddies aren't far behind! thumbup I feel better now!
Posted By: mike57 Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 4th, 2005 at 02:01 AM
HI wavey ALL the hummers have been here but just a few.but now they all have returned i do belive. i have abought 15 or so coming to two diffrent feeders.i am so glad there back i have missed them little frinds.good luck to evryone else on getting theres back to.your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw
Posted By: livingwithnature Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 4th, 2005 at 05:31 AM
I am soooo jealous that you have more than 3 or 4 hummers... I can only figure that I have 2 males and 1 female... I think I have more feeders than hummers... but I guess I should be glad I have some.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 4th, 2005 at 06:05 AM
No hummers yet, But I haven't filled my feeders yet. It's the 4th. Time to fill 'em up! thumbup
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 4th, 2005 at 07:46 AM
I have had a HAPPY day watching these little guys! I still only see 2 but I know there will be more..I just know it!
Posted By: BFVISION Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 10th, 2005 at 08:34 PM
I am surprised in your southern zones the hummers are latw when in New Jersey they arrive in May. I thought you had them all year round and they came North from your areas. Where do they start out?
Posted By: Thornius Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 10th, 2005 at 08:52 PM
They winter in Central and South America. Ruby-throateds cross the Gulf of Mexico in a single 12-24 hour flight, nonstop, staying about 5-10 feet above the waves. They do not eat during this period and gorge themselves just before making the flight and once they arrive. We get a few Western hummingbirds that winter over in the Southeast U.S. but only a few (Maybe 2-3 BIRDS per state) most of these birds are Rufous Hummingbirds. For that reason, many of us birders leave our feeders up all year with fresh sugar water.
Posted By: BFVISION Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 11th, 2005 at 12:57 AM
Thats a long, looooonnnnngggg way to go for a good bagel (LOL)
Posted By: MinnesotaGirlie Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 15th, 2005 at 10:10 PM
Wow, you guys are lucky to live in some places where there is more than one kind of hummer. We only have the ruby-throats... I love them to death and even have a hummingbird tattoo. luv I got it in memory of my grandmother, as she has always loved them as well. That's where I got it from!
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 17th, 2005 at 02:10 PM
I have a very LARGE work building in my back yard...today one of my hummers followed me in the building and wouldn't fly low enough to get back out the door! Scared me to death! I tried everything to get it out!!! So, I just left the door open and as it got dark in the building I was hoping it would go to the light outside. I have checked and it doesn't appear in the building when I turn the lights on inside...I am sure praying that baby got out!
They have never appeared to be the least bit afraid of me...maybe because I am outside all of the time...and always have on a red bandana. They have landed on my head several times and zoom very close to me constantly...but I never thought about one following me inside! Duh
Posted By: MinnesotaGirlie Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 19th, 2005 at 11:15 PM
That is funny! I've never had any up-close experiences, but I've heard many fun (and a little scary) stories. WE FINALLY got a hummer to come by our fedder, a little female we've seen before in the yard but she never would eat. Well now we've seen her 4 times in the last 24 hours. HOORAY thumbup They don't hate us after all! parte
Posted By: Thornius Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 20th, 2005 at 05:30 AM
No, and she'll ALWAYS remember your yard and feeder for as long as she lives.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 20th, 2005 at 09:42 AM
I took these today...
...it's so hard to get a good photo because they move so darn fast!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 20th, 2005 at 09:52 AM
Those are great pics!
Posted By: MinnesotaGirlie Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 20th, 2005 at 07:21 PM
Yeah those pics are really good even though the hummers are so quick! We also saw a male at our feeder yesterday, didn't eat, just seemed like he was checkin out what the female was up to. I know he should be feeding soon as well. I'm a bit worried about the location of my hummer feeder, it's about 5 feet from the regular bird feeder and I hope we don't get too many hummers cuz they might chase the other birds away! I really don't wanna move it either though, they are both in perfect viewing locations. Guess I'll wait and see what happens!
Posted By: Thornius Re: Where's the hummers??????? - July 29th, 2005 at 12:51 PM
Got my first Ruby-throated Hummingbird of the year today! muggs
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]