A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: MaryReboakly sharing my excitement over... - June 25th, 2005 at 12:55 AM
POOP!

After much....coercing....by Longy, I went digging around town to find some source of manure...and I am SO HAPPY he kicked my butt to get out there and get looking for it.

I talked with my postmaster yesterday (gotta love small towns) and he's hooking me up with people who have chicken, horse, rabbit, and even goat (or was it sheep?) poop. He said the horse guy and the chicken gal were old and would probably be more than happy for me to haul off their dirt. I AM SO EXCITED - over poop. My partner thinks I'm a freak. Well, I kinda am, but you understand my excitement, I'm sure! Just thought I'd share my poopy bliss laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: sharing my excitement over... - June 25th, 2005 at 01:30 AM
FYI,
Go for the Rabbit and Chicken first...
*Horse poop always has lot's of weed seeds*

Not sure about goat, but I'd probably say
it's before the horse too!

YOU LUCKY~LUCKY~LUCKY DUCK YOU!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: sharing my excitement over... - June 25th, 2005 at 02:51 AM
Goat and sheep manure make wonderful fertilizer for the garden.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: sharing my excitement over... - June 25th, 2005 at 05:16 AM
Weezie, I know the danger...but will weed seeds die if the pile gets hot enough?

Thanks cricket - will it smell bad applied directly to the garden?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: sharing my excitement over... - June 26th, 2005 at 12:45 AM
I have to admit,
I'm not fully intragraded in the hot part
of the composting process..
I know mine gets killer HOT,
but I don't add any weeds, or seeds, or roots
to the piles...
Soooooooooooo, I can't say?? For sure...

But, my one base liner around here is
"Experiment"...
Try one pile with it, one pile without it
and see how it works..

Now, you said you also had chicken manure...
That might be your key....
That stuff is hot, and you should only use aged and/or old chicken manure on your flowers/plants/garden....

so, if you use it fresh in your compost pile with the horse manure....
That may be your ticket to killing the weed seeds.

Keep me posted, I'd be truely interested in your
outcome...

You won't see any seeds, the test will be
the following year in using the compost...
Posted By: weezie13 Re: sharing my excitement over... - June 26th, 2005 at 12:47 AM
Yeah Cricket, does the goat and sheep manure carry the weed seeds like the horse???
Very curious!!!

Got any new pictures of your babies to add
to your other pictures you posted awhile back??
I'll bet those babies are big...
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: sharing my excitement over... - June 26th, 2005 at 12:53 AM
I'll definitely report back. Still waiting to find out which gold pile(s?) I can get my hands on.

People move quite a bit s---l---o---w---e---r here than back home wink I'm being patient though, it's worth the wait. I'd be very happy if I got stuff by fall. That would be perfect timing anywho. Too hot to shovel *anything* right now.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]