A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Longy Home made bug sprays - May 12th, 2005 at 01:56 PM
Here's a recipe for an all purpose insecticide you can make at home.

1 teaspoon of eucalyptus oil
1 teaspoon of liquid detergent
500ml of water

Mix the ingredients together in a small sprayer. Always shake thoroughly before each use.

Use to control many garden pests including aphids, pear and cherry slug, caterpillars, whitefly, mealybugs, etc.

It is important that the spray actually contacts the insect it is trying to control, so make sure to spray under the leaves as well.

Wear eye protection.

Any other similar concoctions out there?
Posted By: mike57 Re: Home made bug sprays - May 13th, 2005 at 04:26 PM
HI wavey thanks for posting the recipe for an all purpose insecticide i will give it a try this year.your friend in gardening mike57 wavey flw flw
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Home made bug sprays - May 14th, 2005 at 01:34 AM
I also heard of a recipe using cinnamon and cloves.

You mix the 2 together and steep it like making tea. From there you can dilute it to suit your needs.

I plan to try this one.
Posted By: flowersun Re: Home made bug sprays - May 14th, 2005 at 07:21 PM
I've also heard that you can substitute the Euclip. oil with Murphy's oil soap.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Home made bug sprays - May 24th, 2005 at 04:06 AM
I made some this weekend I used about 25 habanero peppers, I ran these through the juicer, I also juiced 2 heaping teaspoons of minced garlic.

To this mixture I added 2 teaspoons of mineral oil, and 1/4 cup of Dawn w/bleach dishwashing soap.

I took about 2 oz of this mixture and added it to 1 quart of water and sprayed it on my plants.

I hope it works.

One note be very careful when juicing habanero peppers, the fumes off the peppers will take your breath away. eek
Posted By: JV Re: Home made bug sprays - May 24th, 2005 at 12:57 PM
wavey Amigatec I would have concerns about putting anything with bleach in a plant spray no matter how small of amount. I would think the bleach would do more harm then good when it contacts the plant. I could be very wrong about this. Plan to try most of the above thanks for all the spray info. thumbup
Jimmy
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]