A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: cakey Please help!! - July 9th, 2005 at 07:50 AM
Please tell me or help me find out how long orange tiger lilies bloom and/or are in season in Southwestern Virginia/Tennessee area??? I'm orry to use your forum this way, but i'm getting married in 2 1/2 weeks (July 30th). I plan on using orange tiger lilies as a primary decoration and they are the ONLY flower I have chosen - my dad always used to give them to me when I was little so they are very special to me. I'm only using orange as one of the colors because I really want these flowers.
In addition, I am on a very very tight budget and cannot afford to BUY any flowers as decorations and fortunately these are blooming everywhere so I was going to get them from yards of my friends and family. However, I was just told that they are only going to be in bloom for one more week and that I won't be able to FIND any then - I would have to buy them from a florist - which I cannot afford to do. I have searched the Internet for hours & hours and can't find any of the information I need. This is my last hope! Please advise!
Thank you all - and again - sorry to take up space on your forum with this kind of question, but I didn't know what else to do!
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Please help!! - July 9th, 2005 at 08:24 AM
wavey , cakey! Welcome to the forum. Hope to see you around after the wedding, too!

I can't answer your question about when the tiger lily will bloom, but is it possible that you could buy some from the $1 stores? We used mostly silk flowers for our wedding (this past May 14) and got some really nice flowers to decorate with at dollar stores.

Dianna
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Please help!! - July 9th, 2005 at 08:37 AM
cakey - Dianna's got a good point, though you may be okay for live blooms for your wedding, it might not hurt to check out silk flowers. A quick search on ebay got me 70 tiger lilies for $10. Not a bad deal! Here's the link:

ebay

And I liked these specifically:
lilies

Good luck, and relax it'll all turn out okay! wink
Mary
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Please help!! - July 9th, 2005 at 08:43 AM
Hi! wavey
Welcome to the forum!

I have thousands of tiger lilies, and it was so beautiful here in my yard a few weeks ago. But, due to the drought here they didn't last long. I have a few hundred blooms here still.

If you have time to drive around and scout out some country roads that are shaded, you MIGHT be able to find some still blooming in 2 1/2 weeks. Don't know how much rain you've had there.

The ones of mine that I have been watering are lasting much longer than the ones down the fence where the water hose won't reach.

If you're having guests driving to your wedding from eastern Kentucky, you are welcome to have them stop and pick up any I have left.

Please stay with us!
We love new members!!! thumbup

Cindy
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Please help!! - July 9th, 2005 at 09:05 AM
Do you mean these plants???

Tiger Lilies

Or these, Roadside Lilies??
Posted By: Gardencrazy Re: Please help!! - July 9th, 2005 at 10:00 AM
Howdy Cakey! wavey Welcome to the forum.
I'm not to far down the road from you. If it is the day lily (Weezies last link) they are getting pretty close to finishing up. Mine have been blooming for 2 weeks+. If it is the top link they are just getting started.

Donna flw

Forgot to add Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. clp
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Please help!! - July 9th, 2005 at 11:43 AM
hi there and welcome to the forum! I'm in virginia too :-) we have orange lilies ALL OVER THE PLACE here! they grow wild along the road...I don't know if this is what you are talking about though! good luck and congrats on your wedding!
Posted By: Francine Re: Please help!! - July 9th, 2005 at 11:48 AM
Hello Cakey,

first of all ,welcome to the forum that never ends and keep on hooking you to it(it s addictive),here there s a lot of great gardners that i am sure will give you god advices,they ve already started with the idea of silk flowers,i know it s not like the real ones but if you can t find any it is the next best thing.or if you want toi try some real ones inparafine it may do the trick also.but beleive a old bride of 18 yrs. at the end of that day whether the flowers are silk,real or parfine you ll find that everrything was just perfect;so,don t worry and be happy!!

congradulations!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]