A Gardeners Forum
I am starting a new garden (yeah!) and am hoping to attract hummingbirds and butterflies. I have a hummingbird feeder that I take care of regularly. I have sweet plants such as lavendar and jasmine and am planning on getting others that will attract our little friends....
One problem- I live in the outer, OUTER sunset of San Francisco, CA...and wonder whether or not there are hummingbirds in the area?
The air is salt water fresh and the temperatures never get too hot because of the ocean breeze.
ANy advice is much appreciated
Hi Luna,
Good Luck with your garden. You said you have a feeder that you take care of but didn't say if you have hummingbirds at the feeders. If you get hummers at the feeders then you have them around and planting a garden with plants that they like will just make them happier. Make sure to plant some bee balm(monarda) and cardinal flower(lobelia) they seem to really like these plants.
You are so lucky to be living there, there are many different types of hummers hanging out in your area!

You may see some Costas hummers between Feb-Aug which is their breeding season. Black-chinned hummers might show up from Apr-Aug, their breeding season. You will see Anna's hummingbirds, as they are along the coast, from Canada to Mexico, and they are there year round. Allen's hunningbirds are also along the west coast and their breeding is from Feb-July which is when they'll be hanging out in your neck of the woods!

So you've got 4 different types that you may be able to lure to your garden smile I suggest picking up The Hummingbird Book by Donald and Lillian Stokes... it's an A-Z guide on hummers and covers every subject you'd like to learn about. It is that book from which I derived the above information.

Good luck out there in CA, and happy humming!! smile
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]