A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Thornius Wild Apricot - August 19th, 2005 at 09:53 AM
Here is a pic I took at one of our newest Greenways in Nashville Tennessee, the Stone's River Greenway. It is a Wild Apricot vine. My wife has always called these a whirligig vine. They produce edible pods about the size and shape of a kiwi fruit that are sweet and delicious. These are quite common around Nashville, but beautiful nonetheless.

Wild Apricot
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Wild Apricot - August 19th, 2005 at 06:13 PM
Is it related to the passion flower by any chance Thorny? It looks like it might be. It is really cool. I'm a little slow today. Are they growing wild in your neck of the woods?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wild Apricot - August 19th, 2005 at 08:41 PM
TK - I was going to say the same thing - looks like a very pretty passion flower!

Someone gave me a start of a white passion flower vine this past May, and I haven't had a single flower - I had such hopes... oh, well...
Posted By: Meg Re: Wild Apricot - August 19th, 2005 at 08:56 PM
That is really pretty Thorny!
Posted By: Thornius Re: Wild Apricot - August 19th, 2005 at 10:45 PM
I think it is a Passion flower, and yes, they grow wild as a weedy vine in overgrown fields.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Wild Apricot - August 20th, 2005 at 04:05 AM
lol how about that I got the name of something right for a change lol. How great is that. Thanks for the picture Thorny. I think they are a really intriguing flower. Lynne I hope yours does start growing I think that would be so pretty. Is it all white? I wonder why yours are called wild apricot Thorny. Are they related somehow?
Posted By: Thornius Re: Wild Apricot - August 20th, 2005 at 11:12 AM
Wild Apricot, Whirligig Plant, and Lollipop Plants, are all alternate names I have heard used for Passion Flower.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Wild Apricot - August 20th, 2005 at 11:13 AM
They are called Wild Apricot because of the sweet wild fruit that they produce.
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wild Apricot - August 21st, 2005 at 05:48 AM
wow those are really beautiful! I've been wanting to grow some for a long time and haven't been able to get my hands on some seeds...would you happen to have some or could you get some? I'm sure I have something you'd like :-)
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]