A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: JustAGirl How to make a compost bin - July 26th, 2005 at 09:34 AM
Ok so I don't have much money and I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a compost bin?

Once the bin is done what exactly do I put in it?

Clueless laugh
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - July 26th, 2005 at 10:15 AM
Woohoo! You've come to the right place (I'm on a compost-high these days - just discovered it myself a few months ago)

You don't need anything fancy - or a bin at all...that's really your preference. I personally have an open bin, since I have a fair amount of land, and have space for it. All I did was take 3 pallets and nail them together at the corners so they don't blow over wink There's a 4th bin on the right, since eventually this will become a 3 bin system (I'm short a coupla pallets laugh )

my compost bin

There are members who have turned a garbage can, or chicken wire into compost bins. The purpose of the bin is really just to contain the 'stuff' in one place, help it to heat up, and keep it out of the elements. Mine works fantastic right out in the open...and no, it doesn't smell. The trick to that is getting the right combination of greens & browns. I want to say 25% green & 75% brown. If I'm wrong someone please correct me!

There are some great threads in the organic forum archives that will help out with what to put in it

Here's just a sample of some stuff I've put in my bin:
Greens:
freshly mowed grass, coffee grounds, coffee filter, coffee left in the pot wink , spoiled fruit or veggies, fruit peels, tea bags, flat soda, eggshells

Browns:
Dried grass, dried leaves, leftover potting soil, shredded newspaper, white paper, paper towels, napkins, swept up dust/dog hair (even fingernails and human hair is good), hay, twigs
(Don't add any glossy/shiny or colored paper to the pile. There are some people who won't compost napkins and the like because they've been through a bleaching process...I still compost mine though)

Remember the smaller the chunks are that go in, the faster your pile will cook down and be ready to use. You can put as much or as little work into it as you want - either way the stuff you put in will break down - it will just take longer if you put less work into it.

Keep the pile moist like a damp sponge, but not dripping wet. Turn it (if you want to) every few days to keep it aerated so it works faster.

And by all means if you have any questions post away - none of them are dumb (and we've all probably asked them at one time or another) and as you can see I can't say enough about composting laugh It's a fascinating process and it's great for the environment to boot - oh, and the flowers LOVE it wink
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin - July 26th, 2005 at 10:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. I don't have as much room for my compost as you. I live in a town house in the San Francisco Bay Area and my backyard is small. I have a free corner in my backyard that I'd like to put it. Does it make a difference if it is in a shady or sunny location? I've always thought about having a compost bin but well I'm a huge procrastinator not to mention slacker *LOL* I'm sure I'll have more questions to come. Thanks! thumbup
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - July 26th, 2005 at 10:35 AM
One of our members TK lives in an apartment building, and uses a garbage can for her compost bin. They're pretty cheap (I just got one at wally world for about $8). You'd want to poke a couple of holes in the bottom for air circulation and set them up on top of some cinder blocks or bricks. You would want something to turn or mix it up with - like a stick, rake or something similar.

We keep an old empty plastic coffee canister in the kitchen for scraps and empty it every few days when it fills up. It's pretty easy to do, and you'll love the results, I promise wink

It can be in a sunny or shady area - if it's in the sun it may need to be watered more often since the sun can dry it out faster than if it's in the shade. Hope that helps wink
Posted By: PAR_Gardener Re: How to make a compost bin - July 26th, 2005 at 11:47 AM
Mary,

You've become quite the compost expert. I'm so proud of you. thumbup
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - July 26th, 2005 at 11:54 AM
shocked Thanks, PAR, see, I was really listening wink I'm still psyched about it...not sure if I enjoy the flowers more or the compost more laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin - July 26th, 2005 at 06:55 PM
JustAGirl,
Mary, I don't think anyone who loves compost,
ever becomes UN ~PSYCHED about it!!!
It's magical!!!

My neighbor used an old garbage can and put it on
two stakes and he can turn it....
When I had my camera, I kept meaning to go over
and take a picture of it, talk about behind...
I'm so slow, I have a hundred years of things to
do yet!

I have 3 wooden bins made out of packing crates..
a company gets things brought in on wooden crates,
they take like the top off to get at whatevers' in side, and leave the shell to just throw away,
*Go figure* but, I took those and had my husband take the saw and just make air slats for me..
They work great....

Also, I have one of those twin compost tumblers..
They work good, not the same as a on top of the ground type composter, but still get the job done.
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin - July 27th, 2005 at 12:07 AM
Ok so when you say garbage can you mean plastic? Sorry I am totally clueless *L* Thanks for the help. Ok so when you through things in for the first time do you wet it? or does it become moist by just sitting in the bin?
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - July 27th, 2005 at 01:47 AM
Yep, a plastic garbage can. Don't be sorry - you shoulda seen my questions a few months ago wink Depending on what you put in it, you may have to wet it a lot or just a little...depends on how much brown/green you put in. Just remember you want to keep the consistency like a damp sponge...you'll get to know when it's too dry or too moist. If you put too much green and not enough brown it may smell like ammonia after a few days - then you know you need to add more brown. If you go to mix it up and it feels kinda dry, you'll need to add a bit of water. It's hard to explain just how much water needs to be in it without showing you...You just don't want it to dry out, and you don't want it to be dripping wet either. Somewhere in the middle is great. Don't worry about doing it perfectly the first time - it's one of those things you start figuring out as you go ... just play and it'll start getting clearer for ya - and keep the questions coming! wink
Posted By: Longy Re: How to make a compost bin - August 5th, 2005 at 08:21 PM
Ms Reboakly. You are a true breath of organic fresh air. Spread the wealth Mary:-)
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 5th, 2005 at 09:33 PM
WOOHOO i just turned my compost bin aka trashcan upside down and guess what......I hae 4 buckets of black gold. Yes compost wonderful wonderful black soil perfect for planting things in. Am I excited? YES, YES, YES sireeeeee. I am excited!!! How long has it been Mary? We started the composting about the same time and I of course can not remember when exactly we started doing this.

Anyway I am typing this with a huge broken blister on the bottom of my thumb where it connects with my palm from the shovel but it's worth it. Soooooooo worth it. And the leaves are dropping leaves so I am ready to get to doing more composting. I told the landlord I could use some more grass clippings but he said he wouldn't be mowing until the weekend after this one. But I can wait. I'll just put the extra leaves in the outside/openair compost area until I have enough green. I'm afraid if I try to just do the compost in the open someone will come along and knock it over again. And that was to heartbreaking the first time to go through it again. Anyway I was really really excited so I just had to share. Sorry for the super long post.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 5th, 2005 at 11:38 PM
Longy! My compost hero - still say I couldn'ta done it without your help...countless PMs with crazy questions you tirelessly answered - you're the bestest! wink

T! LOL! I'm so excited for you! Isn't it the best feeling?! I checked and it was June 8th when I took a picture of my first pile (yes, I took a picture laugh ) and that was when it was nearly ready - so figure about the end of May, beginning June. So, it's been about 2 months...and well worth the wait, I know! wink wavey muggs
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 6th, 2005 at 02:02 AM
Thanks Mary. I couldn't remember at all. Yep it is a really marvelous feeling. And it's nice not to have to spend that money too. Now I just have to wait for the blister to heal so I can get out there and mix it up the the soil. I'd have done it today inspite of the heat I was that excited but that broken blister hurts lol. It just woke me out of a sound sleep. I put more neosporin on it so hopefully it heals quickly. You can tell I've always been a desk person and never worked in a garden. I'm not used to these kinds of pains at all. The other kinds like sore shoulders from being hunched over a computer yes. lol

Have a great day.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 7th, 2005 at 05:41 AM
While we're chatting it up about compost, I thought I'd add that I pulled back the stuff on top of lasagna bed #1, and WOW I've got beautiful crumbly soil underneath! wink I think I'll be ready for bulbs in the fall WOOHOO!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 7th, 2005 at 07:46 AM
Woohoo, that is fantastic. net plot map where is bed number one I've forgotten. That's no suprise right. I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached and I'm not sure that's enough for me to remember anymore. lol. Is this where you are moving some of your existing bulbs or are you going to add more bulbs? And the coolest thing is that it will soon be fall and we can start that planting. I of course can not wait.
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin - August 7th, 2005 at 08:30 AM
Ok so after much procrastination from the start of this post *L* I want to know if this container will work for my compost bin. Do I just drill some holes in the sides? What about the bottom? I want to get this all set up by tomorrow..I have alot of things from my kitchen to throw in there plus things from out in the garden.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 7th, 2005 at 08:53 AM
Woohoo! Looks like you're all set to go wink All you need to do is poke some holes in the bottom - a few small holes if you want on the sides would be good to help the air circulation. I would set it up on some bricks, cinder blocks or anything you have that will give it a sturdy support below. It'd be better not to have it right on the ground so that air can pass below it too.

So, whatcha got to put in it? wink
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin - August 7th, 2005 at 09:04 AM
Great! I have bricks I can put under it and it already has holes in the bottom because this was the container I had my tomato plants in last year.

I have soooo many things from my kitchen for this compost. Bad carrots and carrot peelings, cut up broccoli stalks, orange peels, onion peels, salad in a bag that is going, bad cucumbers and squash, coffee grounds, we have a new rabbit so the pooh and bedding will be going in when I clean the cage soon as well as the hamsters bedding when I clean his cage, old soil, dead leaves as well as new just fallen, used napkins and papertowels, newspaper. Is this good? I'm sure I can find more. grinnnn
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 7th, 2005 at 09:14 AM
Awesome! Your compost will LOVE the poop from your kiddies! Sounds like you've got a really great start! Do you use wood chips for their bedding? That will give you some brown. If you have any grass clippings that have weeds/crabgrass (or anything you want to make sure doesn't rear it's ugly head when you use your compost) you can lay it out on the pavement and let it dry for a few days - grass is considered 'green' when it's freshly cut, but after it dries and turns brown, it's then considered a 'brown'. I've been using this trick lots in the last week or 2, since I'm lacking in the brown department lately.

Cut your paper & kitchen scraps up into the smallest pieces you can if you want it to 'cook' faster. Some people have a blender just for their compost. I don't go that crazy (I don't even own a blender LOL) but I do cut up all my scraps before they go into my kitchen canister (except for the already science-projecty ones LOL) Have fun with it, and please keep us posted!
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin - August 7th, 2005 at 09:28 AM
Well don't have to worry about the crabgrass thing cause there is no grass around here hence no grass clippings for me. I do pull weeds but I pull them when they are relatively new will this help prevent things popping up or should I dry those and make them brown? Oh and yeah I use Aspen shavings for the bedding for my pets..plus some hay will be in there the rabbit is messy and hay falls through the bottom of his cage.

I sure will keep everyone posted...I'm pretty excited and just read TK's post about his new soil. Composting is great and I'm wondering why I didn't start it years ago.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 7th, 2005 at 09:36 AM
I think your going to find that your container is very small. I have about a 50 gallon trashcan on wheels with holes in the bottom and with just 380 sq feet of garden I'm finding that I could easily do two of them. As it is I have to let a lot of green go to the dump or get left on the lawn. The landlord won't leave me any if there isn't room for it in the bin when he mows.
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin - August 7th, 2005 at 09:49 AM
Well if I have to I may start a second bin..I have another one just like it. Thanks for the heads up..I'm sure your right though. thumbup
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 7th, 2005 at 10:14 AM
I had the same thought about the bin being a bit small - but you can 'graduate' to the larger size and always recycle your current bin for something else wink

When I started my first heap, I kept all weeds out - if you can get it hot enough (which you may not be since the bin is small) you'll kill them (including roots) and don't have to worry about them creeping into your flower beds. Once I saw my piles steaming, I knew I was doing it 'right' and will throw in most weeds (but never weed seeds). A 'perfect' compost pile is about 3' tall and wide - I believe the theory behind that is you don't want it so big that the air can't circulate through it, but at the same time you want it big enough to keep the heat in.

Good luck & happy composting laugh wavey
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 7th, 2005 at 08:10 PM
Look at you go Mary. You are Queen Weezies heir apparent of compost lol. Bet that isn't how that is spelled. But hopefully you get the idea. 3 by 3 is perfect size huh? Well my bin isn't quite that big but it makes the required height lol. I've been finding that the poplar branches are very brittle so I'm using them on the bottom to keep the air circulating It seems to be working. The other branches I get I used for the bentwood edging of course lol. I've got to say I'm having so much fun witht the garden. If only I had known years ago lol. Well I just went out and watered the compost bin. As you mentioned earlier Mary I definitely do not want it to get hard that would be a big pain.
Posted By: Carly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 7th, 2005 at 08:37 PM
I always rake a few leaves up beside the fence where the big trees are and leave them there.

There's always new soil under them in spring.

I haven't added things to it though - I know plants like tea bags and I pour tea water into the ones I raise in the office over the winter.

They love egg water and egg shells too.

Maybe this year I'll use one of the buckets for a composter outside.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 01:19 AM
T, I am so into this compost thing, it's not even funny! I don't know if I enjoy the flowers more, or the compost laugh Kinda idea
well, it's great! laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 01:36 AM
Don't forget too, if you run out of room
in your piles, and they aren't quite done,
but want to re~utilize the bins,
Take Black *or dark* plastic garbage bags,
empty your bins into those bags,
and put somewhere's out of the winter's elements.

Then come spring, you've got the pile in the
bag that's ready, and one that's just about
done too in your bins,
and you can empty that one....to get a faster start on the next one...
Makes composting faster sometimes, when you can
empty your composting area, leave the one sit
and get on with MORE NEW COMPOST!!!!!!!!!!

You two do a compost teacher proud!!! shocked grinnnn flw
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 02:15 AM
Weezie, gotta question about the garbage bag thing. I remember reading something about spontaneous combustion Duh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 03:43 AM
I have a couple of bags inside a wire fenced
area.. one on top of each other...

I did keep three bags inside a plastic box
w/lid outside under my big maple tree..

And a couple in my stone basement like thing..

but, my compost is not hot, not even remotely
by the time I put it in a bag...
It's on it's last leg of just breaking apart...
not actually "working", it's just that if you're
not quite ready to use the compost yet, say,
wrong time of year...like fall, and you'd like to
do something with whats' in the bin, but have no where's to put it yet... and want to start on the next bin...
You're not holding the bin up by holding almost completely finished compost..is when you put it in the bags... thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 03:47 AM
and the spontanious combustion,
though I am noooooooooo expert on that,
happens when the Dry grass, is then wrapped
so tight, and it's got a wee~bit of moisture on
the inside and that's when it gets all hot and steamy and starts to cook the dried items...

although, I believe, and I could be totally wrong, but because there's wet green stuff in
the compost, it's only a cooking stage with microbe's to render down the piece's/parts down,
not to actually start a fire, the green stuff
I don't think would allow it..

I could be a monkey on that one, say if the compost pile wasnt' made completely correctly
and too much brown was added, then maybe????
Not 100% sure~~~~~~~~~>? Duh ?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 03:49 AM
I was just thinking about trying to save a bunch of the leaves that are going to fall so I don't have to lose so much of the grass clippings because Jimmy won't give them to me unless I have space for them. I'm not exactly sure where I could put them but I've been looking around some. Hopefully something will come to me. You know the leaves all by themselves won't have the chemical reaction so that would be safe. And leaves is what we are going to be neck high in pretty soon lol.

Weezie you are a great teacher. You got me totally motivated to do the compost thing and it's been such fun to have mary to compare notes with since we are pretty much at the same point in the process.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 04:09 AM
TK If you 'squarsh' em down you'd be surprised how many leaves you can get in a bag - but that may be a pretty tricky task to do by yourself...but you're so resourceful, I'm sure you'll figger out a way wink

I was thinking the same thing you said Weezie...so I went looking around to see if it was right, and I found this from UM Extension :

"Questions sometimes arise about spontaneous combustion in compost piles. Spontaneous combustion is the occurrence of fire without the application of an external heat source and can be caused by chemical, biological, or physical processes. Organic material can ignite spontaneously due to biological activity at moisture contents between 26-46% moisture if the temperature exceeds 200 degrees F. These high temperatures only occur with restricted air flow and piles exceeding a height of seven feet. Spontaneous combustion happens to stored hay or silage and only in rare cases to compost. No documented cases of spontaneous combustion have been reported for compost piles smaller than seven feet. Most reported fires occurring in compost piles are the result of external sources such as matches or the addition of hot ashes. In short, a well maintained compost pile with temperatures less than 150 degrees F will not spontaneously combust. If a compost pile gets too hot--more than 160 degrees F--you can cool it down by 1) reducing the size of the pile; 2) adding water to 55% moisture; or 3) mixing in coarse, bulky material such as wood chips. Compost piles work best at temperatures between 130-150 degrees F. "

So it sounds like garbage bag sized storage of compost is nothing to worry about wink
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 04:19 AM
Tammy,
Just having the leaves in there will work too,
just nooooooooooottttttttt as fast... but it will.

Some people fill them up and use them as insulation under their porches,
to cut down drafts.

They get 8~10~20 bags, whatever the amount of space to cover up the drafts..
I just put them in the basement so I could have
the compost ready to go, early in the spring....
I have usually dealt with frozen compost and it's hard to chip it apart... so I came up with the notion to put some in bags in the basement and I could sift it at my leisure in the winter,
*never happened* but when it was srpring, too wet to do any gardening, I could sift the compost...

And I like to sift when it's cool outside,
I work up a good sweat doing it, and when it's cooler it's easier to do...
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 04:26 AM
Mary,
TK If you 'squarsh' em down you'd be surprised how many leaves you can get in a bag
I am not 100% sure on the squishing
them real tight either, butttttttttt, for flat unchopped leaves, you don't want them so pressed
so tight that it can't do any decomposing....

In the forrest floors it can do that,
fall on flat on top of each other and press
down, because bugs and tree/plant roots go from
under it and utilize it from the bottom up...

When composting you want as may exposed edges as you can...to decompose at a faster rate...

If you can use a lawn mower and chop leaves and mow grass, THAT IS THE MOST IDEAL SITUATION YOU CAN HAVE.
But I wouldn't cram them in *plus if they are slightly wet, which you'd want toooo, if they are wet and packed so tight, they may just mold. Duh
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 05:03 AM
Don't think I want moldy. How about really dry leaves and I stomp on them real good. then they would be dry carbon next spring when Jimmy starts mowing the grass. Or I'll just pile them all over the garden space that I haven't dug up yet and let them have their way with that area until next spring when I decide to do something out there again lol.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 06:56 AM
I gotcha Weezie wink I don't know if I misunderstood - but I wasn't meaning to squash them to compost em...just to store them till ya needed them. It would be easiest for you to just pile them on the garden space you want to dig in spring - *IF* Jimmy will let them sit over winter and not rake em up.

As for leaf mold, it's not a bad thing from what I've read, but can take a long time to make...so better to use it in compost since we need it so fast wink

Have I mentioned? I found out that huge tree in my backyard isn't a black gum (I posted some bad pics on the mystery thread and it was mis-ID'd). It's in fact a sassafrass tree smile The leaves fall constantly - don't know if that's a sassafrass thing, or what, but it's great - smells great when mowed (at least I like it) and there's always dried leaves with the grass clippings Woohoo! thumbup
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 08:15 AM
Cool what a deal for you. You must have compost comming out of your ears. Which considering what all you want to do with your yard is a really good thing.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 08:30 AM
Yesterday I was having trouble finding spots for mowed grass...a great problem to have! And yeah, I couldn't do all I want to do without the ability to compost...so I'm really glad too.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 10:09 AM
Tammy,
Don't think I want moldy. How about really dry leaves and I stomp on them real good. then they would be dry carbon next spring when Jimmy starts mowing the grass.
thumbup That would be good idea...
I am always hunting down sources of brown in the summer...
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 8th, 2005 at 03:30 PM
Yeppers that's the problem I ran into in june and july. I didn't have enough brown and the news paper even when I make it into 1 inch squares just does not want to breakdown as quickly as the leaves did. I really liked how fast they brokedown and want to be able to have that all summer long if possible. I found this year that your ratio of 3/4 brown to 1/4 green worked much faster than the half and half I had read about elsewhere so that is what I am going to try to keep in my composter at all times. Of course with a bin like I have dumping it all out and mixing it up and then shoveling it all back in is a bit of a pain but what is, is lol. I just have to remember to wear my gloves and avoid any more blisters. That monster hurt.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - August 11th, 2005 at 11:51 PM
I Love this enthusiastic thread! You all have inspired me to start my own compost thumbup but I'm definitely a newbie. I know I'm doing this a little late in the year though so I hope that doesn't matter in the long run.

About a month ago I started off by pulling up some skimpy sod patches around my house and deck to clean it up, and to start some border-like flowerbeds around those areas. I shook much of the soil off and then threw the clumps in a pile (but there was still a bunch of dirt attached). Since then I've been reading through and trying to figure out how to do it the right way.

I've been throwing vegetable food scraps, broken eggshells, deadheaded flowers, etc, in the pile since then, and also added a bag of composted steer manure. Is that okay?

I've also stirred it up all along and kept it moist. So after reading some more here, I thought, 'LEAVES! I need LEAVES!' lol. I have a bushy area on my property and gathered up a green garbage bag full of old brown birch tree leaves from the ground and then spread my pile out and put it back together in layers. First leaves and shreaded newspaper, then the existing stuff (about four layers of each.) I watered down each layer as I went as well, and when I was done I kind of aerated it all over with a big iron stick through the top down to the bottom. Am I on the right track by any chance?

Since this is only a pile, I spread a green garbage bag over the whole thing to keep excess moisture out. (It's been raining like crazy here! ters )

I was also wondering about stirring it up? Now that it's in layers, won't that defeat the purpose of layering it? Also, how often should I stir it up?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions anybody here might have. A bunch of you are obviously successful at it and now I'm all excited about seeing this thing 'steam up'. lol

Thanks a lot for any info you guys can share,
~Suzy~
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 12th, 2005 at 01:17 AM
I'm a newbie too. I think the layering is just to make sure you have the right ratio of brown to green. I don't think you had to put the manure in it. I think that could have went directly into the soil you are preparing for your flower beds. As far as the ratio I've forgotten but hopefully longy, weezie or Mary will check in and remind us of what it is suppose to be. I'm thinking somewhere between 50 to 75% brown to 25 to 50% green but I mess up when I try to remember things. So hopefully someone will help out on that.

I think it's suppose to be stirred every 7 to 10 days or when it stops steaming. Mine is in a bin so I don't have to worry about too much water but I've never heard of anyone covering their compost heap but maybe I just missed it.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 12th, 2005 at 07:59 AM
Hi SuzyQ! How exciting to see you've been inspired to start composting! Sounds to me like you've got a great start - the layering, the ingredients - all right on thumbup

One thing I wondered as I read your post was if the sod you used was treated with insecticide. You don't really want anything that's chemically treated in your compost in the future, if this may have had some in it.

As for steer manure, I don't know the amount of nitrogen in it - depending on how 'strong' it is, you may or may not be able to put it right in your garden. If it's got too much nitrogen, it can burn your plants so it's better to compost. In general, I would say, if you don't know whether or not it's too strong for the flowerbed, put it in the compost. You can't go wrong that way.

The purpose of layering as I understand it is to get the greens and browns touching so that the process (chemical reactions) can begin. You don't want to stir or turn your compost every day (too often) because you want to give it some time to work...I turn my heap twice a week when it's not too hot, once a week when it's too hot to do it more often. The first time I turn a pile though, is no sooner than 5 days after I build it. Of course I also build 3' x 3' heaps, so it depends on size too.

The purpose of turning, or mixing it, is to get the air circulating through the pile. The microbes need oxygen to work - just like a fire needs oxygen to burn, your pile needs it to cook. Of course you don't HAVE to turn it - but it will take MUCH longer to break down. It's really up to you, and how soon you need it. My compost is ready in a month. I know some people can get it done in half that time - I just don't put enough effort into it to get it done that quickly. I also have a pile that's my 'long term' pile, which I just add to, and never turn. From the size and contents, I estimate it will take 2 or 3 years to break down.

As for the ratio, like you T, I've found that 75% brown to 25% green works best. Too much brown and it dries up and doesn't cook down. Too much green and it gets slimy and stinky. You'll get a feel for it after you've done a few piles, whether or not you need to add more of one thing or another. It's kinda like riding a bike wink

I'm so glad you found us SuzyQ - I've been on a 'compost committee' and trying to convert everyone I know to become composters - it's addicting and it something we can all do to pitch in and help the environment - and our gardens! Keep us posted, and keep the questions coming!
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - August 12th, 2005 at 11:47 AM
Thanks for your response, Mary. I hope I'm on the right track. Fortunately there were no insecticides at all on the grass tidbits I pulled. And the steer manure I added was already composted and said it wouldn't burn plant roots on the bag. I thought I was buying the pure stuff but when I got home I saw 'composted' on the packaging so I don't know if it still has the same power but I tossed it in anyway.

If I understand correctly the manure and kitchen remnants are all greens and should be about 25% of the pile. The leftover soil I put in, leaves and paper should make up 75% of the pile. Do I have that right? I'm not sure about my percentages though. I think I need to add more leaves. It seemed like I was adding a lot from the kitchen for the last month and it really started piling up. (We cook lots of veggies. lol.) My pile is almost 3' high and definitely 3' wide and 3' deep though, so I think I'll go find more browns and stir them in.

Or maybe I should wait five days. kissies and I'll let you know how it's going. I'm looking forward to having my own little pile of crumbly healthy black stuff for the first time ever.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 13th, 2005 at 01:42 AM
SuzyQ don't sweat it! LOL Go ahead and throw in your browns if you think it needs more, and mix (or turn) them in. That's one thing about compost - you don't have to do it perfectly - mother nature is pretty forgiving actually wink

The composted manure you got would have been ok in the garden, but is more than okay in the compost heap. Since it was already composted, I don't think it would really count as a green or a brown but adding compost will help your pile get started, since it already has the microbes that worked to break it down. That make sense?
If you can get your hands on chicken manure, that's very high in nitrogen, and helps cook it hot and fast.

You're very welcome for the help - I'm just giving back what I was given when I had those very same questions. Longy & Weezie were my compost mentors - it feels great to be able to help others learn about it now...and one of these days you'll be a mentor too! wink

Have fun! smile
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin - August 15th, 2005 at 09:34 AM
No one has mentioned this so maybe I did something wrong. Do your composts have little flies swarming over it inside your bin? I do...perhaps I put too many holes for air circulation?
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 15th, 2005 at 10:03 AM
Howdy! Sounds like you're doing just fine. I think what you're describing are gnats - don't sweat it, it's all good! wink
Posted By: Karrie Re: How to make a compost bin - August 20th, 2005 at 01:58 AM
I dont have enough brown to do a bin and no grass clippings as they are mulched. We will have leaves this fall. I am wainting to do some composting but worried about enough stuff to even bother with. I do have access to straw and hay alot. Would these items work as my brown? Then I could just throw in some leaves and kitchen items and work it with the weeds and such as they come? I do have minimum grass clippings available. I am thinking about getting one of those porch compost bins. But just dont know if I will have enough to make it worth while. I may do a trash can first and see how fast it fills up but it seems like it will be a pain in the a** to turn. Where we live we have to be very careful of things in the yard. Even a trash can misplaced can be an issue. It id a pain but its nice in a way because I know my neighbors wont get away with old tires full of stagnet water and mesquitos. But all the same its a pain in the rump. If I had an outside compost pile like Mary's the POA would threaten to sue my bum if it wasnt cleaned up in 4 weeks.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 20th, 2005 at 03:27 AM
You get bugs when the bin isn't hot. When it heats up they leave.

Karrie I would say don't even try sweetie. In a community where the yards are closely monitored it just is not possible. Someone is going to see you turning it or using it and then they are going to try and pretty soon there is going to be a war lol. I mean I got to much green in mine and it turned to sludge and then smelly pellet like things and I'm still trying to break it up and get it to finish composting. And I'm doing all this while hoping the county doesn't come by and raise you know what. Cause they do if they see anything going on. Fortunately the county is growing and I don't thing the county government has been able to keep up with it yet. So unless someone complains I should be all right.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - August 20th, 2005 at 03:47 AM
That's awful that people can complain about something like this. I understand not wanting to see rusty old cars and tires all over the place, but a compost shouldn't be a problem. I would think it's people who take pride in their yards that build them in the first place. I guess I'm pretty lucky I don't have that problem. I never even considered it before.

I never did get to mix in more browns since my last post, Mary. It started pouring here (and I mean POURING!) over a week ago. I was just too busy gathering up the animals two-by-two while my husband worked on the ark. thumbup

~Suzy~
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - August 20th, 2005 at 04:04 AM
Oops! I forgot to ask my questions. In the bush on my property, the kids were riding quads and wore out a few paths in there. When I saw it, it looked like rich black earth and I thought BONUS! Free healthy soil! But it's not that. I dug a bunch out and it's more like peat moss. It's from natural composting I think. It's packed pretty tight but when I break it up, it's really just like peat moss. Would that be something good to throw in my compost heap?

I'm sure it would be good to put right in my flower beds as is, but I wondered if that would be considered 'browns' because I need more of that in my compost anyway.

Also, last week I put some homemade slug traps in my flowerbeds with some beer in them. Well, I didn't bother checking them during all that rain, but when I looked today, I think I caught about 50 or more drunken dead slugs in them! shk Very Gross! But my question is, can I dump them, beer and all, into the compost? lol. (Hope that's not a dumb question. lala ) I just don't want to walk too far with them and I can almost heave them over there. lol

Just thought I'd ask.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 21st, 2005 at 12:00 AM
But my question is, can I dump them, beer and all, into the compost?
ABSOLUTELY! Beer is awesome for compost, as are bug guts (yum!) so dump away wink

Sorry I haven't been around much - been very busy working lately - and will need to keep this short. Feel free to email me if you have questions about composting - I keep my email up all day and since business and personal are both right there...well, I sneak a peak at the personal every once in a while wink laugh

Okay...lemme see...Karrie, sounds like the only option you MIGHT have is putting up a compost bin that will keep the compost contained and looking neat. I don't know if they're that picky that you couldn't even do that much. There are kitchen vermicomposting units you can get, and keep in your kitchen. That'd be a great way to get rid of your kitchen scraps and get a little compost (even if it's not as much as an outside bin)

That's awful that people can complain about something like this. I understand not wanting to see rusty old cars and tires all over the place, but a compost shouldn't be a problem. I would think it's people who take pride in their yards that build them in the first place. I guess I'm pretty lucky I don't have that problem
Here, here! Seems like taking care of our environment should be more of a concern than having a misplaced trash can...glad my town isn't picky about that either. Sorry you have to deal with that Karrie.

Suzie, I'm not sure what you found - could the previous owners have put down peat moss? Don't know how long you've been at that house...I don't think peat moss ever really breaks down, though I could be very wrong about that. It's kind of a mystery to me - I don't care to use it for anything but starting cuttings - and thats only because I bought a bag of it before
I had a clue what I was doing laugh I do know it's a pain to get it to soak up water - I'm just not sure how it would go in a compost heap. May be longy or weezie will be along and can clear that up.

Great questions! thumbup
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - August 21st, 2005 at 12:58 AM
Beer is awesome for compost, as are bug guts (yum!) so dump away
You are funny, Mary!! laugh Those slugs really creep me out and I couldn't believe I got so many! EEWWWWWW!!! lol. I thought it would only be fair to throw them in, since they annihilated my delphiniums this year frown This way they can give something back for next year.

That peat moss was actually a natural pond bottom ever since I don't know when, but then our water table went way down about four years ago and it's only moist in there now. There is a lot of accumulated natural decay down there from fallen trees and leaves. So at the very least, I believe I have really healthy peat moss, and it's free. thumbup

Thanks for your answers and I hope you have a great weekend!

~Suzy~
Posted By: Karrie Re: How to make a compost bin - August 21st, 2005 at 08:56 AM
I got ahold of a huge thick white barrel, I am gonna have to have hubby cut an openingo in the side of it and put it on stakes in the ground. Right outside the kitchen door. Now I just need to figure out how to keep the opening on the side shut when rolling it. Any suggestions? Hubby seems to think that a slide lock on each end will do. hinge the back of it and put 3 of those little slide locks on it both ends and on the middle of the front of it.
Posted By: Karrie Re: How to make a compost bin - August 21st, 2005 at 08:56 AM
Oh yeah guys will straw or hay work for my brown?
or do you think it will seed?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 21st, 2005 at 10:48 AM
If you get the temperature up to 140 you won't have to worry about seeds. I think that's the way it goes. But Weezie, Longy or Mary will know better than I do.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 21st, 2005 at 09:26 PM
Woohoo I just got a load of green dropped off by the landlord. So I turned the compost pile and then layered in the green stuff. That'll finish off those newspapers I bet. Plus all the leaves I'll add during the next two weeks woohoo. I took two buckets of the finished compost to the future columbine bed. That is going to be so cool next spring with all the different colors. Off topic sorry. Have a great day everyone.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - August 22nd, 2005 at 03:18 AM
I just got an answer to my question regarding peat moss in my paper today so I thought I'd pass it on. In the gardening column the writer says, "Add peat moss and sawdust if greens from gardens and grass clippings are piling up."

That's great news for me since I have an unlimited supply of peat moss here! I already have it dried out so I'll just break it up really good before I mix it in.

I wonder if anyone can tell me if the composting action continues throughout the winter? It gets pretty cold up here so I wasn't really planning on doing much with the compost once the temp drops. I was thinking of maybe putting some straw bales around the outside of it to insulate it from the cold a bit though. Would that be worthwhile to do?
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 23rd, 2005 at 02:52 AM
Howdy! Sorry I haven't been able to check in - been running like a chicken without a head these days.

Karrie - I'm go glad you found a way to compost! I think the barrel will work perfectly - and yep, it sounds like the door locks will hold it closed when turning it. It might be easier if you could toss stuff in from the top, though, and turn it with an auger type dealio, rake, stick, etc. This way you wouldn't have to roll the whole heavy barrel just to mix it. Just a thought.

TK How exciting for you with all your compostables smile I wish I had stuff brought to me laugh I just came in from lopping off overgrown weeds out in the 'bog'. What fun! (not!) I dumped all my cuts over top of where the soil is uneven out there, and figure I'll leave it to break down in place. The weeping willow is going to love that soil down there!

SuzieQ thats great news about your peat! Especially because it's a challenge to find browns in the summer for most. This fall I plan on shredding all the leaves I can get my hands on, and storing it in plastic garbage bags for next summer.

Composting can continue through winter - it depends on the size of your heap - to reach the hot zone, you want your heap to be about 3'x3' - less will more than likely freeze, especially in Alberta! Straw bales will definitely help to insulate - the more you insulate and the closer to 3'x3' you have your heap, the better chance ya have at it not freezing. Great thing about that is, once winter is over, you can then use your straw bales for composting (or planting tomatoes in!)

Oh, seeds - recently I did something dopey - not like THAT's a rare occurrence laugh I put watermelon seeds in my compost heap. I know I get my heap hot - very hot - but I did have some seeds sprout in the compost. I don't mind having things pop up in the even that a few weed seeds don't get cooked from the hay I've used, since it'll be much easier for me to pull weed seedlings from amended soil anyway...Chances are you'll have volunteer weeds pop up no matter what you do, if you have birds or bare soil.

Whew! That was a lot of blabbing gab laugh

Happy composting!
Posted By: MissJamie Re: How to make a compost bin - August 23rd, 2005 at 09:24 AM
hey everybody! I just wanted to say that it sounds like ya'll have everything on a roll and thanks for all the great info! and guess what? I've been wanting to make a compost bin and my dad FINALLY bought me some pallets from work today YAY!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 23rd, 2005 at 09:25 PM
Yay Jamie! wink Here's mine-

[Linked Image]

All I did was nail the top corners and bottom corners. I didn't get crazy and screw it together because it'll eventually break down too.

My last freight delivery guy didn't have any extra pallets, but I'm hoping to get another 3, so I can make a complete 3 bin system. Right now the compost goes from inside the bin, to the right of the bin, to the right of that laugh I'd like to get it all contained eventually wink

thumbup
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin - August 24th, 2005 at 12:03 AM
Ok so now I've heard a couple different things on when to turn your compost. Would that be every few days or only 2 times a month? my bin is small so.. Duh
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 24th, 2005 at 05:14 AM
You want to turn it to keep it aerated since piling stuff on will start packing it down. The other reason for turning a pile is to work the dry cool stuff on the outside of the pile to the inside, turn the bottom stuff to the top, etc.

You can also let it all sit and don't need to turn it at all - but it will take that much longer to break down - so it's really up to you wink I would probably be turning it once a week if that were my bin - hard for me to say though, since I've been building larger, open heaps instead of smaller contained heaps. I would take TK's suggestion on turn time - her compost bin is closer in size to yours than mine.

Isn't it fun thinking about all the stuff you used to throw away that now you can toss in the bin? wink
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin - August 24th, 2005 at 09:32 PM
I think I will turn maybe once a week. Ok so now those of you with containers...do you have a problem with any animals tryin to geting into your bin? I think I have a cat or coon trying to get into mine. My bin isn't really heavy because I dont have too much in it at the moment. When I come out to my backyard in the morning my bin is off the bricks I set it on and knocked over. My bin doesn't smell. I mean the compost has an odor but it's not a rank or foul odor that you can smell from a distance..then again I suppose animals have better sense of smell than we do. Sheesh..guess I'm gonna have to put up with the menacing animal that keeps knocking my bin *L*
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 25th, 2005 at 10:20 PM
Since mine is out in the open, and we have 'free roaming critters' of all kinds here, I never leave the outside (top) layer green. In other words, if I have greens on top, I mix it under a bit, or toss some soil or finished compost on top. That deters the critters. course ya might just have an ornery kitty that wants to perch on top of your bin 'just because' laugh
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin - August 25th, 2005 at 11:37 PM
Yeah Mary I think yer right..It's probably just a kitty because we have ALOT around here. Although we have been known to have some coons now and then. BIG ones for the city, musta got fat off kitty nibble *L*

I had already turned my compost so I'm thinking a cat just took his leisurely nap on the bin and when he jumped off onto the fence he knocked it over..like I said my bin isn't too full yet and being plastic is pretty light still.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 26th, 2005 at 11:26 AM
BIG ones for the city, musta got fat off kitty nibble *L*
Or, KITTY! laugh that was mean, and gross, but possible!

probably a kitty nap wink I know mine take every opportunity they can to jump on something I don't want them to!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 26th, 2005 at 06:57 PM
If your bin is sitting on dirt a couple of stakes in the ground could provide all the stablizing you need. Use more brown and you won't smell anything at all. My container has stayed pretty much full since I started and it is anything but light lol. So, I haven't had any problem with it being tipped over. It weighs a ton and takes max effort for me to tip it over and I weigh in at over 200 pounds.
Posted By: Karrie Re: How to make a compost bin - August 27th, 2005 at 12:46 AM
Do you all think container compost bins will work durning the winter months? I will keep mine in a storage are that is undercover but is more like a tent then shed ----Yeah the brains on our POA havent said diddly squat about it, told them it was for our dirtbikes - which was a big fat lie, but hey I needed storage for toys. lol its the portable garage type thingys. Anyway before I start to babble (oh darn too late). What do you think will it get and stay warm enough to bother with or should I start fresh next spring?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 27th, 2005 at 01:38 AM
Karrie you just let your compost sit over the winter it will dethaw in the spring and go right back to decomposing. You don't need to do anything to it in the winter except leave it alone from what I understand from reading Weezies stuff.

I mean for me the purpose of composting is so that I'm not paying an arm and a leg for potting soil and top soil for my little garden. So if composting starts getting expensive then it defeats the purpose. For me if I get a bin full once every three months for 9 months out of the year I'm going to get all I need. And since I'm on a slope with a crumbling retaining wall I certainly don't want to much up there lol.

Enjoy your garden.
Posted By: freestacy01 Re: How to make a compost bin - August 27th, 2005 at 11:03 AM
Hi,

I have been thinking of starting a compost bin also, but, wonder, what do I do with it in the winter, it stays cold here in Maine for a while.
Thanks,
Stacy
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 28th, 2005 at 02:43 AM
Yeah, Stacy! thumbup smile

Remember the right mix will generate heat from within, so that will keep it cooking throughout the winter. If not, the worst that can happen is you've got a frozen pile that you keep adding to, and have to wait for it to thaw out in spring. Then adding some new stuff to it will get it working again.

Besides, chances are if ya get started now, you'll have a finished heap before the first frost, no matter where you are wink It takes me about a month from start to finish - if I don't really tend to it, it takes about 45 days.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - August 28th, 2005 at 04:44 AM
Boy! Do I ever have a bunch of BIG LONG FAT WORMS setting up house in my compost! They must be eating really well in there! I can't help it but these large ones give me the willies. lol. So I just cover them back up real quick when I see them.

Since my compost is just a pile right now, I'm heading out to pick up some straw bales to surround it and hopefully insulate it over the winter. I was thinking I'd put a sheet of wood over the top to keep snow out, and it would be something I can lift to keep tossing in kitchen scraps. I really hope it keeps cooking over the winter, but I'll have to let you know down the road if this little experiment works in my -30C weather conditions.

I don't know if I put too much soil in there when I started with those grass clumps at the beginning. It's hard to tell because I also added a bag of composted manure and then have been adding browns and greens for over a month now. Maybe it's just breaking down, but it seems more like soil to me. It that normal by any chance?

Mary, when you say it takes up to 45 days for your compost, I was wondering if you make up a large enough pile, and then you don't add anything more until it's done? I've been adding all along with hopes of having as much compost as possible for next year.

Hope you are all enjoying your weekend!

~Suzy~
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 28th, 2005 at 07:45 AM
BIG LONG FAT WORMS
You lucky duck! wink that's awesome - worm castings (poopy laugh ) is an awesome fertilizer.

these large ones give me the willies
laugh Don't feel bad - I've been trying all summer to 'make friends with the bugs'. I was born & raised in NYC - so I'm far from a natural country girl...lots of 'adjusting' going on here - I cover em up too!

Now I'm gonna get tricky on ya, though, about your compost. Since you have worms, that tells me that either your pile hasn't heated up, or has already cooled down - worms can't live in the extreme temps of a hot pile. But it's not a bad thing if it hasn't/doesn't heat up! It's just a different type of composting. You definitely don't want to add any kind of seeds (or weeds) to that kind of compost heap though. If it doesn't heat up enough to cook the cr*p out of the stuff, you'll be planting them when you spread your compost.

The 'look' you're aiming for with the compost (ie., when you know it's 'done') is almost like clumpy wet coffee grounds. A rich, black, fairly light, crumbly black soil - kind of like potting soil you buy in a bag, only nicer. Absolutely normal to look like soil - that's really what you're making wink

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I just went out to take these pics -- you can kinda get the idea - I took this handful from the ground where a compost pile was (before I used it). You can still see little bits of unfinished compost - some people screen it to separate it, I just haven't had the time to get that far yet. In the second picture, you can see where I put my trowel ("digger" LOL!) into the ground - I barely had to push on it to get it completely in the ground - before the compost heap, this area was solid clay. Impressive!

I have a fairly big yard. Right now I have 2 3'x3' heaps going, and will be starting another one in about a week. I have lots of stuff to compost, and the luxury of being able to have big heaps in my yard! I lucked out because I have a slope downwards toward my yard from the alley, so I put my heaps along and at the bottom of that slope. I've got enough room for about 15 heaps if I wanted (and could convince my better half to let me!) laugh But to answer your question, yes, I stop adding to the pile once it's gotten big enough for me. I aim for the 3x3 size and then start a new pile.

Hope that's helped!
Happy composting! wink
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 28th, 2005 at 07:58 AM
The other thing about composting without the heat from what I understand, and I'm a beginner, is that it takes longer to breakdown.

Mary you may have already said that but by the time I got to the end of your post I couldn't remember if you did so I thought I would add it. Have a great day.
Posted By: Bestofour Re: How to make a compost bin - August 28th, 2005 at 08:18 AM
My corn stalks have dried up and so are the squash plants. Can I put them in the compost pile or are they too thick.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 28th, 2005 at 08:42 AM
wink Thanks T - I'm sure I missed it...great point.

Sheri you sure can. The corn stalks would be great for keeping the pile airated (sp? aerated? Hmm...) I'd put them near the bottom, to keep the pile raised up off the ground. If you have an enclosed bin ya might want to keep it out since it will take longer to break down...I have a separate 'long term' pile I keep throwing limbs and thick-ish stuff into. It's an area that I plan on building up over time - so I figure if it takes a few years to break down its no sweat. Depending on how much corn/squash ya got, you might put some under your heap, and some in a 'long term' pile. Hope that helps! wink
Posted By: Longy Re: How to make a compost bin - August 28th, 2005 at 07:01 PM
Or, you can run over it all with the lawn mower. Just spread it out on the ground a bit and go for it. Use the catcher. Wear eye protection and boots. Then it'll just go in the compost and decompose as per normal.
The lawn mower is also great for pumpkin vine, tomato vine etc. Things that are just bulky and difficult to stuff in the compost. They won't go thru a shredder either as they just roll up and clog the shredder. Mower works a treat but please use the appropriate safety equipment.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 28th, 2005 at 10:37 PM
Hi Longy,

Good to see you. How have you been? Great advice on that betwixt and between stuff. I have a bin and use it for aeriating as Mary suggested but then I have very little of that stuff. I just toss the sticks back in the bin after I've taken out the black gold so it can help the next pile remain airy lol. Bet the spell checker is going to have a heartattack over that miss spelling lol. Woohoo. I think I put something in the coffee this morning. I've got the giggles already hehehehehe.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - August 28th, 2005 at 11:11 PM
Mary, you really are a treasure to have here answering all our questions. kissies Thanks for the pictures, too! That helps.

I'm a transplanted city girl myself (ex-apt dweller from Toronto) so I'm having a lot of fun with this new hobby.

Now I think I'm going to leave my first compost heap alone to do its thing, and start a new one. Special attention to the quantities this time (75% Brown, 25% Green). Luckily I have a lot of space too and it's not a problem. I laughed when you said you'd have even more composts if your husband would allow it. lol. I have mine jumping in and doing a majority of the turning for me and I expect his reaction would be much the same. laugh
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 29th, 2005 at 07:58 AM
Suzy, really glad I could help -- I wouldn't be here or be able to answer if it wasn't for that Longy guy up there wink - he did for me just what I'm doing for you...only, I was a little annoying, I think laugh

A little off topic - but I LOVED Toronto. Went there a few years back, and really loved it - haven't found any place like it since. It's probably my 2nd favorite city in the world (that I've visited, and only 2nd to home in NYC).

You're on the right track with composting - it's all an experiment, and before you know it, you'll be talking like me (like I'm some kind of expert laugh )

As for my parner, well, to put it mildly she doesn't excite quite as much as I do over compost - there was the time I dragged her out in the pouring rain to show her how the pile was steaming. Okay, I thought it was REALLY cool. She...well...wasn't quite as impressed laugh laugh

Composting is definitely addicting, though! And it keeps me outta trouble wink Well, mostly! laugh
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - August 30th, 2005 at 06:38 AM
Now I think I'm going to leave my first compost heap alone to do its thing, and start a new one.
FORGET THAT! I want a 'STEAMING' compost too! lol. I picked up some straw bales from a farmer down the road, to contain and insulate the compost over the winter. Well, I ended up layering one whole bale all through the compost, hoping I'll get the desired results. thumbup NOW, I'll leave it alone. lol. (Other than turning.)

About winter composting, my husband grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan (gets pretty cold there too) and even though they didn't compost, he told me that as kids, the straw bales got so warm in the winter they would huddle around them to warm up while playing outside. And, steam even rose off them!

So my challenge is to keep this thing cooking over the winter. If it happens to start warming up (crossing my fingers!) and continues into the cold, I'll let you know.

Oh yeah, and about the farmer.... I told him he had a nice [BLEEP] and I got the straw for next to nothing! grinnnn (He had a cute little donkey wandering around nearby when I said it though. lol)
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - August 30th, 2005 at 06:48 AM
laugh laugh laugh ATTAGIRL! I'm proud of ya! thumbup We stop at NOTHING to get goodies for the compost. Okay, well, kinda not nothing...but you get the picture wink

Okay! Sounds like you're on the way to a steaming pile. Yaknow, they do have thermometers for them too, if you wanted to get one. I don't have one - I like the element of surprise laugh Something like that...

Pretty cool about the straw bales - eh? wink In NYC we huddled around the sewer to get warm - that's why my brain turned out this way. No, no, I'm really kidding...as believable as that might be! laugh

You really gonna get out in AB in the winter to turn compost? I think I'd have to pass on that one!
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - August 30th, 2005 at 07:41 AM
In NYC we huddled around the sewer to get warm
Standing over subway grates is good too, and doesn't smell so bad. lol. Gives you a bit of that Marilyn Monroe feeling as well. grinnnn

You really gonna get out in AB in the winter to turn compost
Hmmmm... now THERE'S a good question. lol. I might have to get back to you, in say about... November? on that one. lala lol
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - August 30th, 2005 at 07:46 AM
SQ you might want to read the part about spontaneous combustion. I think it's Mary's string. So don't get the pile to large when your putting bales around it to keep it warm. Mary my mind isn't working at all well. Can you figure out what I'm trying to save and take over. You explain things so much better than I do.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - August 31st, 2005 at 02:41 AM
Thanks TK. I've been a little concerned about the heat too, but I'll keep a close eye on it and I'm home all day as well. Chances are, it'll probably freeze up soon anyway. lol. The more I think about it, Mary's probably right. I see me taking a pass on running out to turn the pile in sub-zero weather. I hope it'll get a good head start and break down a bunch before the cold though.
Posted By: ladybug67 Re: How to make a compost bin - August 31st, 2005 at 11:05 PM
Hello, i was reading all of these replys and i had to mow my lawn that wasn't done in 4 weeks and i put the grass clipping in a big pile in the back yard, the grass was to long to mulch and i really needed the clippings to start my conpost pile and i also started one in a trash can, well i added the kitchen scraps and grass and then some brown which was not alot until the pile dried out a bit. well the grass clipping pile when i turned it was hot and i added some of that to the trash can but has a hard time turning it so i dumped it out and mixed it withsome of the other pile and then but it back in the can . the can when i dumped it out smelled not so good and the other pile just the old grass when i turned it smell not bad, sweet smelling, so i was wondering if i'm doing this all right, i covered the pile with a tarp cause of all the rain we have been getting. Is that ok too? Now what do i do, keep adding the kitchen scraps and what else at that time, brown? greens ? papers, coffee grounds and how much of that? I water the pile afraid of it getting to hot. but the trash can is not getting to hot just smelly HELP!!!! What do i do with it went its done? Winter is coming and do i wait til i start my garden for next year or what? Sorry for the silly questionos but i'm new to this and just don't want to make a smelly mess and then can't get rid of it . Any help? Thanks, Danielle
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin - September 1st, 2005 at 12:00 AM
No silly questions when it comes to learning
how..

but the trash can is not getting to hot just smelly HELP!!!!
It can be tricky at first, but stick with it,
you'll never regret learning how to compost and
all it's luxurious, luscious, nutritious soil..

Add more browns..

Your compost pile works on a ratio of say,
75% brown and 25% green..

I'm in the process of empting my bins
**hence my neglect of my compost answering duties
shocked thumbup

But when I empty my bins, what I did last fall and am doing it again this year if they are almost done or done and need to get the stuff out
and emptied so I can start new ones is.......
getting big 30 gallon black/brown *dark* garbage bags, and filling them, nottttttt tooooooo heavy,
remember YOU have to lift them and pick them up and store them... (and them might have a pokey/sharp point of something sticking out and puncture your bag and loose your compost out the bottm) but leave them in a big plastic sterlite tub or as I'm doing, that and then putting them into my basement..
That way, I have already done or almost done~that will be done...*oh my gosh, that sounds like a prayer* compost ready to be sifted and used in the spring with out having to wait for the piles to be thawed...

What do i do with it went its done? Winter is coming and do i wait til i start my garden for next year or what?
What I mentioned above will work...

But also, if you want to get your beds ready
and the compost is ready, put it on top of what you want to use next year...
(I always sift mine to get out the big pieces,
and things that take awhile longer to finish and put it back into the next pile I'm starting.)
The wormies will love it..

You can also start a new bed by putting some down on top of the area that's virgin, laying some cardboard down and shredded leaves on top, water, and more of the compost on top...
by spring it should be a wonderful joy to work the soil...

Don't hesitate to keep asking questions if I went
a bit fast or off tune..I have a habit of doing that...
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin - September 1st, 2005 at 04:00 AM
I am having a similar prob with my compost. I guess I dont have the right mixture of 25% Green to 75% brown. My bin still has knats swarming it and also it is starting to attract colonies of ants *L* Didn't realize starting my compost would bring out all the bugs in the neighborhood. It's pretty much the kitchen scraps they are going for. I just cut out my huge kale plant because it was just infested with bugs beyond saving. Threw that in the bin so now I have knats, ants and whatever those bugs were on the kale. Good, Bad or doesn't matter? My compost is not getting hot. Hmm...guess I gotta keep working with it. Duh
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - September 1st, 2005 at 04:03 AM
You might want to look up compost fact sheet that bill has. Some types of kitchen scrapes are not recommended. Like anything containing grease. Or any cooked veggies. I think those draw more bugs than they are worth. But I am new to composting and could be off base.
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin - September 1st, 2005 at 04:12 AM
Yeah I suppose I should but I haven't put anything in my bin that contained grease or cooked veggies. So far I've only put fresh veggie scraps in. Oh but you know just yesterday I put old spaghetti noodles minus any sauce and old frittata (guess that had margarine or butter in it) on the pile. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea with the bugs already in the pile. I probably have a ton more ants. Who said composting was easy? *LOL* just kidding
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - September 1st, 2005 at 05:02 AM
It's interesting that as long as I have mostly brown in my bin I have no trouble at all with smell or bugs. But when I get to much green in there I get bugs, smell and the bin gets so heavy I can barely move it.
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin - September 1st, 2005 at 05:05 AM
Yeah I had mostly brown in my bin until now and it was not smelly but I did have the gnats. I have some more brown to dump in there and then that's it for a while..my bin is just about full and yes getting harder to turn *L*.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - September 1st, 2005 at 09:03 AM
Wow - hot thread! lemme catch up here smile

SuzyQ - I wouldn't be caught out in that cold turning compost - and that says a LOT - I LOVE my compost! LOL!

Danielle - grass tends to be stinky, whether it's green or brown, I've learned. But hey, it still works, and ends up sweet smelling compost, and that's what matters to me!

Now what do i do, keep adding the kitchen scraps and what else at that time, brown? greens ? papers, coffee grounds and how much of that?
Yes, yes, yes, yes. stick to the 25% green to 75% brown, and you'll be alright. At some point (when your can is full, I'd say) you'll want to stop adding to it, and let it work. You can start a 3rd pile at that point.

I water the pile afraid of it getting to hot
Don't worry about it getting too hot. There's no such thing. Well, there is but...as long as it's not near your house or garage, etc...anything that could catch fire from the heat (fire from composting, by the way, is not as common as you might think) Water the pile to keep it moist like a sponge - to give the little microbes the drink they need to keep working for you. A nice shower always helps me feel better and work harder too laugh

not getting to hot just smelly
Whenever it's getting smelly add browns. Usually grass (wet or dry) will be smelly - if it's an ammonia type smell, that could be the cause (but it's okay, just stinky). If it's not the ammonia smelly, then it needs brown.

I think Weezie got yer other questions about what to do with it when you're finished. Did we miss anything?

Weezie - One of my teachers - glad I make you proud shocked laugh Wanted to ask you about the lasagna bed - cardboard/compost thing. I've got a lasagna bed going - but didn't have near enough stuff for it...so right now I have cardboard/newspaper and dry grass on top...am thinking of spreading my finished compost over it - but then I'm thinking, doesn't it dry out, or get weedy from seeds and stuff? Would it be better to wait until spring to spread the compost?

JustAGirl - don't worry about the gnats - it's all part of the process. The ants - well, I was having ants come to visit my heap too (besides all the *other* ant issues I'm having this summer!) and that tells me that the pile isn't hot enough, or they are visiting the outside edges of the compost - so I turn it and cook their @sses! laugh laugh I'm not liking ants this year, at ALL LOL! The only thing I would do differently, is I would avoid throwing in any sick plants. You don't wanna risk spreading that disease when you spread your compost. One little plant probably won't hurt, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. I don't put in any rose cuttings of any kind - they all go straight to the trash. Why? I've been fighting black spot with a vengeance all year. Even if I can't see it, chances are there's SOMETHING wrong with the cuttings.

Spaghetti noodles are awesome - starch=sugar=food for microbes=hot pile! smile I might avoid the frittata though - too much grease in that. Though potatoes are good...little grease probably won't hurt. I don't get too crazy about avoiding a whole paper plate because it has a little drip of grease on it, yaknow what I mean?

WOW WHAT A MOUTHFUL!
I'll be quiet for a bit now shocked
Posted By: ladybug67 Re: How to make a compost bin - September 1st, 2005 at 09:51 PM
Thank you all for the information it's great to know i'm doing ok so far lol. So i can put my compost that is done and put it in trash/black ones bags in a bin and store it in the cellar?
How do i sift it??? what do i take out if not done how big? before i put it in bags or after in the spring?? Can i put my tomatoe plants big stalks that are all most done in as green?? i can mulch it up and is that ok? oh is my kitchen scraps green?? thanks again Danielle
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin - September 1st, 2005 at 10:12 PM
Danielle,
How do i sift it???
There's a post by Tammy started, called Sifters, Huh?????
There's a bunch of info there for you to see.

So i can put my compost that is done and put it in trash/black ones bags in a bin and store it in the cellar?
Or garage, or last year, I did some in my basement and 3 bags in a big 84 Qt tub like.
That too a wee~bit to thaw, but it was alottttt
faster than the other big bins/piles I have, so I could get to if faster..

what do i take out if not done how big?
Anything the sifter doesn't allow thru,
I throw into the new pile I'm workin' on.....
That's good starts for the new pile cause it's already in the breaking down process and has those microbe's on it to get mixed into the new pile...

Can i put my tomatoe plants big stalks that are all most done in as green??
Did you have anytype of disease on your tomato plants??????? If yes, just burn them or put to the curb if you can't burn..
they're not really good for the compost because it can cause disease's to generate or continue from one year to the next..(pepper plants too)

oh is my kitchen scraps green??
Yesssssssss, they are mostly all green.
Maybe the stems to grapes are brown..

Keep us posted, we allllllll love cool to hear thumbup
Posted By: ladybug67 Re: How to make a compost bin - September 1st, 2005 at 11:01 PM
Thanks Weezie13,
I'm not sure if my cucumber plants had any disease's and i already put them in, but i didn't with the cantalope plants. How can i tell if it does have a disease??? danielle
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - September 2nd, 2005 at 07:50 AM
Danielle, I'm sure Weezie will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you're able to eat the fruit or veggie, you're safe to compost the remnants. If it has a disease, you can usually see it - like it dies off before time or is spotty or just really looks unhealthy overall.
Posted By: Karrie Re: How to make a compost bin - September 5th, 2005 at 10:02 PM
How long should my grass dry before it can be considered a brown? Or is grass ever considered a brown?
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - September 5th, 2005 at 10:33 PM
Karrie - once you see it's all dried up and brown, it's a brown. I leave mine sit in the driveway for about 2 or 3 days. If there are weeds and stuff, I'll let it cook for a week or more just to be sure it's fried. wink
Posted By: Karrie Re: How to make a compost bin - September 6th, 2005 at 06:36 AM
Well its made and full of grass clippings and leaves and some taters peals from dinner! We will see how it goes. We soaked it down real well and put in lots of holes for venting. Put it up on legs. and I got about 2cu ft of leaves to continue to add to it as I throw in table scraps and such! Wish me luck! Told the kids to throw their leftover lemonade in there after snack and the cheese poofs that were left over! Hope it goes well!
Posted By: Karrie Re: How to make a compost bin - September 6th, 2005 at 06:38 AM
Another question, What If I dont have enough greens. Will it still compost? I was a little worried, I only let the grass sit overnight but we dont have much grass clippings as I tend to mow 2 times a weeek, and we have a mulching mower. I did wait a full week just to have some clippings in the heavy grassed areas for composting.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin - September 6th, 2005 at 07:48 AM
cheese poofs
Hey, you're starting to spell like Vanessa!! *wink~wink*

I'd lay off the cheese puffs...
Salty things really shouldn't go in...

(I don't put any dairy either)

Just remember one thing about compost..
and stuff you put in..

It will always decompose..
just takes a bit of time..
if you don't want to do anything to it..
or only add "X" amounts of stuff...

There's no set requirement on how much you
put in.. it will, in time, render down..
(it may take a while, but if it's on the ground,
it'll decompose)

But the trick is to layer..
Green then browns...
and some soil..
*or older compost*
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - September 7th, 2005 at 03:49 AM
MARY!! ..... GUESS WHAT!?!?! ..... IT WORKS!!!! Duh

But then Hub unexpectedly came home for lunch and I made him come out and touch it. He said, "I'm not touching THAT!" But I made him anyway. He thinks I'm kissies You're a great teacher!

~SuzyQ~
Posted By: Karrie Re: How to make a compost bin - September 7th, 2005 at 07:00 AM
So far plenty of brown here but very very little green! ERRRRRR I dont want to take the mulcher blade off the mower and by the time I finish mowing and weed eating I dont wanna rake! I am shameful I know. And we have so little to rake wth the mulcher on the deck. I need more green!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin - September 7th, 2005 at 10:39 AM
If you need green. Do what you need to do to get the green Karrie. Composting requires work but it smells and feels great when you finally get it done. The flowers respond with such great plants and blooms and the fruit is better. Gardening would be nearly as satisfying to me without the composting. As funny as that sounds. Of course I am lucky that my landlord brings me the grass clipping from the yards of his rentals. But then he's not paying to have them halled to the dump either so I guess he gains a little something from it.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - September 7th, 2005 at 11:20 AM
Wow, Karrie... we have the opposite problem. With four teens, and one adult child showing up for 'home cookin' all the time, I probably peel close to five lbs of potatoes every other day (must be the Irish in us), and then all the vegetable scraps. I fill up a 'Greens' bucket pretty quick. That's actually what made me think I need to be composting in the first place.

But anyway, when you clean up your annuals, that should give you a bunch of greens. And don't forget to eat lots of veggies, too. They produce lots of good stuff for the compost.

And if you're still having problems, I can send you a couple of teenagers to raise (not that they're compostable... they're all meat eaters), and they won't save you much money either, not even a little bit! But keeping them fed should help out with supplies for your compost. Hey! Maybe I should advertise them in the seed exchange. grinnnn lol
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin - September 7th, 2005 at 11:22 AM
laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin - September 8th, 2005 at 04:05 AM
Originally posted by SuzyQ:
MARY!! ..... GUESS WHAT!?!?! ..... [b]IT WORKS!!!![/b]
laugh wink thumbup

ISN'T IT THE COOLEST THING?!

Then I saw STEAM!!! ... and nobody around to show.... But then Hub unexpectedly came home for lunch and I made him come out and touch it.
So, now ya understand why I brought my partner out in the pouring rain my first time! laugh

Knew ya could do it - like I said, if I can, anyone can wink Just wait till ya get your first shovel full of black gold! I'm always interested in what I'm going to find out there - the science of the pile really intrigues me (bout time some kinda science did LOL!) They shoulda taught THIS in school. Then again, guess composting isn't quite as popular in NYC

Congrats, SuzyQ, I'm so proud of ya! thumbup
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - September 9th, 2005 at 03:05 PM
Weezie!... that was Four Big GUFFAWS! " laugh laugh laugh laugh " You must have kids to trade, too! lol

I'm starting to think I'm going to be turning this stuff in the winter. (Or at least bribing some of the boys to do it. lol) The heat is pretty amazing. You're right, Mary. It's quite an interesting science. Some of my kids are even (semi)-interested.

My 19-yr-old son works at a humungous tree nursery when he's not at school, and when I showed him how my compost was working, he said, "yeah, they do that there... but they have all the stuff trucked in and piled up. And we all stand around it and get warm when we need to." A Truck-Load!?!? I'll take that! lol

Well, NOW I'm Jealous! He works at a golf course too, and you know how the grass is there.

So I think after all the years of putting him through school, hockey and golf, and with all his connections, I should end up with some really pristine landscaping one of these days. Well here's to hopin' muggs

~SuzyQ~
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin - September 9th, 2005 at 05:53 PM
Suzy,
I'm starting to think I'm going to be turning this stuff in the winter.
What is your growing zone?
I am a 5 here and mine freeze solid in the
winter time...
Posted By: johnCT Re: How to make a compost bin - September 9th, 2005 at 06:22 PM
Yeah, mine freezes here in zone 6 also.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - September 9th, 2005 at 09:36 PM
Unfortunately, I'm in a Zone 3. Maybe I am being a bit too optimistic, but I've heard twice now that they can continue to work up here through the winter. Oh well, you never know... maybe it was the beginning or end of winter when the composts were cooking for these people.

I'm still hoping the straw bales surrounding my compost will insulate it enough to keep it warm though. That's going to be my own little experiment anyway, so I'll let you know later in the year if it's working.

~SuzyQ~
Posted By: johnCT Re: How to make a compost bin - September 10th, 2005 at 02:44 AM
Yeah, the organisms keep working but progress becomes very slow. I have not seen much breakdown in my piles over the winter months.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - September 14th, 2005 at 11:26 PM
I think I'm finally beginning to understand the processing benefits of building a 3x3x3 compost pile all at once now, rather than adding things gradually (like I did all summer). I read on a different site yesterday that it's like baking a cake. You don't add the flour one day, and the eggs a few days later, etc. Sounds like a good analogy to me. lol

This was a site from Alaska about winter composting and they say it definitely will heat up in the cold if you do it all at once and get the ratios right.

So now I'm wondering about all the Greens that come out of my kitchen regularly. Would I be able to freeze them? Then when I have enough to build an entire pile, I could thaw them out and build it with the browns all at once? I guess I'm wondering if freezing the greens would significantly reduce the microbe action or something like that.

Thanks a bunch for any input,
~Suzy~

PS: I can't believe how much I've reduced my garbage (and the smell) by starting this. What a huge bonus it's turned out to be!
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin - September 15th, 2005 at 11:00 AM
Oh, just one more question... I hope! (for now at anyway.) When we're talking about ratios, is it 3:1 by weight?... or is it by mass? It seems like there'd be quite a difference between the two.

I'm really sorry if I'm being a pain in the arse. shocked

Mega Bunches of Appreciation, smile
~Suze~
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin - September 15th, 2005 at 10:28 PM
I didn't realize this one thread
was way over the 100 post mark..

I'm going to start a new one,
copy and past SuzyQ's last post
and then put a link to the old
one so we can go back to it...
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]