A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: moondance Weather forcast from animals - October 26th, 2005 at 04:15 AM
I have heard some old wives tales about using nature to forcast the weather. I know about the catippilars although I don't remember about the stripes which way to read. BUT a friend of mine told me that we were going to have a long hard winter this year because of the squirrals. I used to have quite the pack here and I mentioned that I hardly see any of them. She told me that when the squirrels disapper and don't make thier nest high in the trees it is going to be bad. Also very few cardinals are here and I always had a lot. Kinda wonder-any how what have ya'll heard or a?
Posted By: moondance Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 26th, 2005 at 04:16 AM
ha that last word should have read know not "a".
Posted By: JV Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 26th, 2005 at 04:33 AM
I know we will probably have a warm winter squirrals everywhere animal's hair is thin not getting thick and heavy like they will when winter will be cold. also saw 3 Cardinals today when I came home. all my flowers are still blooming and peppers still bloomign and putting out fruit except for the Caribbean Pepper just blooms like crazy.
Jimmy
Posted By: charoopy Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 26th, 2005 at 05:24 AM
On one of the tv stations here the weather men open persimmon seeds every year. When you open them they have either a spoon, fork or knife shape. They opened two of them recently and they both had a knife shape. I forgot what that is supposed to mean.
Nancy
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 26th, 2005 at 09:24 AM
peppers still bloomign
Hubby came in from the other house and brought 3 bags of peppers from the garden I am not there to take care of! I bag was FULL of habineros...man...just what I needed...something else to do! :rolleyes:
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 26th, 2005 at 10:36 AM
I didn't have much of a pepper crop this year. It was so cool and wet that I delayed planting too long. I got a decent crop of Anaheims and Thais, but only one green habanero :p Just today though, I found a bag full of nice bright red ones from last year thumbup I'm having my yearly Carribean Jerked pork chops dinner party week after next, so I'm set!
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 26th, 2005 at 11:36 AM
Hey Terry...I will be MORE than happy to send you some...I have some really pretty orange ones if you want them! thumbup
Posted By: sybil Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 27th, 2005 at 08:35 AM
Obywan

Recipe for the Pork chops is in the recipe area right??? laugh :rolleyes: I looovve jerk sauce wink
so pleeaaase kissies angell
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 27th, 2005 at 12:47 PM
Sybil, you're wish is my command thumbup
Posted By: Thornius Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 28th, 2005 at 12:58 AM
Here is a picture I took the other day of a Wooly Bear Caterpillar used to predict the severity of Winter.

Wooly Bear Caterpillar
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steph321 Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 28th, 2005 at 02:42 AM
Roses still blooming good. Is that any kind of a sign? idea
Posted By: suzydaze Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 28th, 2005 at 06:53 PM
don't know about the roses, mine bloom every year right up til it snows on them

Vaness...I want some of those peppers eek
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 29th, 2005 at 09:09 AM
ummm....Jimmy...a warm winter? You live in TEXAS!!! Around here, they forecast with the Farmer's Almanac. Its supposed to be a BAD one this year for us. Some parts have already gotten snow. Here, I haven't seen any cardinals and don't see many squirrels anymore either. We also aren't seeing the ferrel cats like normal...which makes me suspicious.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 29th, 2005 at 09:25 AM
So...what's the deal on the Wooly Bear Caterpillar? Duh
I was driving all over the road the other day trying to miss them...(...sounds like a good beginning to a "why did the wooly caterpillar cross the road" joke) :rolleyes:
...anyway, I got out to move some of them out of the road and they were all marked different. Duh
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 29th, 2005 at 10:04 AM
well a couple weeks ago I saw tons and tons (well it seemed like tons but was only about 4-6) turtles in the road in different areas...wonder what that means?
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 29th, 2005 at 10:09 AM
Well...if I was a turtle around HERE, I'd be crossing the road looking for a pond with WATER in it.
On my road a lot of the farm ponds have just about dried up. ters

Cindy Lou
Posted By: peppereater Re: Weather forcast from animals - October 29th, 2005 at 11:39 PM
I haven't gotten anything done to prepare for winter, so of course that means a BAD, early winter! wavey teech
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]