A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: RottieLover Hummers are gone - September 5th, 2005 at 05:10 AM
Wow they left here early this year, I havent seen one in two days, I guess autumn is coming early this year frown
Posted By: Thornius Re: Hummers are gone - September 5th, 2005 at 08:19 AM
I've only had ONE hummer all year that I saw.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Hummers are gone - September 5th, 2005 at 09:09 AM
I guess autumn is coming early this year
No! eek
I love my hummingbirds so much! ters

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BFVISION Re: Hummers are gone - September 5th, 2005 at 09:24 AM
I can add to this as well. The volume of birds at the feeder has dramatically dropped off the last three-four days. How long should I leave the feeder up?
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Hummers are gone - September 5th, 2005 at 09:38 AM
You should leave the feeder up a few weeks after you've seen the last one. That way, the ones getting a late start back will be able to refuel if they happen to pass your way.

Gotta take care of those precious hummingbirds! thumbup

Cindy
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Hummers are gone - September 5th, 2005 at 11:11 AM
I've still got the lilttle beauties. Is fall really coming early?
Posted By: Thornius Re: Hummers are gone - September 5th, 2005 at 11:34 AM
Leave your feeders up all Winter, Because those of us in the East get a few Western Hummingbirds that decide to Winter over in the East and they can only survive IF they have a feeder left out by humans to feed from, since all their natural plant food is dead for the Winter.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Hummers are gone - September 5th, 2005 at 08:10 PM
Thornius...I know I've said that same thing on here myself...leave them up all winter. But, how do you keep it from freezing? eek

Last year I kept mine up until way into January...I got obsessed (as usual) with trying to keep it from freezing...because one day when it was REAL cold (December I think, not sure) I had gone to pick Brennan up from school, and Andy said there was a hummingbird at the feeder while we were gone. grinnnn
I would bring it in at night and put it back out early the next morning, but it got so cold it would freeze during the day in no time...ended up cracking the feeder.

Cindy
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Hummers are gone - September 5th, 2005 at 08:23 PM
Say it isn't sooooooo!!! eek

I still have my feuding hummers here so far.
Where are you in NY that they've left already? Duh

Yesterday was the closest I've ever gotten to one. I thought she was going to gouge my eye out, like Cindy mentioned the other day. ters , and that would just push me over...
Posted By: BFVISION Re: Hummers are gone - September 5th, 2005 at 09:13 PM
Last week I was outside changing the feeder and usually they will fly next to me and hover a bit then dash off. This time one ran right into me, I guess I wasn't going fast enough or maybe she was experiencing a sugar rush lol.
Posted By: Xylara Re: Hummers are gone - September 6th, 2005 at 08:39 AM
My hummer population was down drastically this year. I decided to use a already prepared type of hummer food. I don't think they liked it. I am going back to the old sugar-water home brew. Any body else have problems with commercailly prepared food?
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Hummers are gone - September 6th, 2005 at 09:09 AM
My dad was using the store-bought kind last year, and never saw a hummingbird. I would come over and tell him about all my hummingbirds, and he couldn't figure out why he didn't have any. nutz
Finally, one day when I was there I went out and dumped his feeders...he had the stuff in them that is colored red frown ...and I made some sugar water and filled the feeders. He had hummingbirds the next day.

This year he has the red colored store-bought stuff in his feeders again... :rolleyes: and has not seen ONE hummingbird.
He doesn't learn very well, does he? :rolleyes: nutz

Cindy
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Hummers are gone - September 6th, 2005 at 02:51 PM
I think my hummers may be gone too! Last sighting was Sat. am, very early, but I'm still hoping to see them, thought I heard them last night.
Posted By: connie mounsey Re: Hummers are gone - September 6th, 2005 at 06:29 PM
We only had 2 last year and this year there are 4. They are still hanging around here.
Posted By: johnCT Re: Hummers are gone - September 6th, 2005 at 08:08 PM
Yeah, mine are gone too. I haven't seen them since last Weds. frown
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Hummers are gone - September 6th, 2005 at 08:19 PM
Oh, I just hate to see them leave.
ters
I know they have to...

They have given me so much pleasure this summer.
Posted By: RottieLover Re: Hummers are gone - September 7th, 2005 at 02:35 AM
P&P I'm in Mid Hudson Valley, Saugerties
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: Hummers are gone - September 7th, 2005 at 04:49 AM
I'm so surprised that with you all living so far south of me that yours are gone already. It's only been about a week since I saw my last one (a straggler perhaps), so keep your feeders open for her. It's a long trip south and she may be thirsty if she stops by.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Hummers are gone - September 7th, 2005 at 07:20 AM
RottieLover - I know just where Saugerties is!

One of my college roommates had a boyfriend from there, and we just passed by there 2 weeks ago driving our daughter up and back to Skidmore College for a flute camp.
Posted By: MinnesotaGirlie Re: Hummers are gone - September 13th, 2005 at 07:41 PM
Well it's now Sept. 13th, and I've still got em in Minnesota!! I am quite surprised, but pleasantly smile

This was our first year putting a feeder up, so I asked a friend who's mom lives over in Wisconsin, how long do they stay? And he replied that they usually are gone in late Aug, but here it is middle Sept and I've still got 2 or 3 chasing each other around.

The last month or so I increased the solution to 3 parts water to 1 part sugar, wanted to give them a little more energy than usual. Maybe they aren't ready to leave yet?

The last few days the temps have been in the 80's, but the few weeks before that we had 70's in the daytime and 50's at night. Our forecast for the week calls for more of the same, 70's and 50's. I'm guessing they'll leave in a week or two, but as long as they keep comin', I'll keep feedin'!! smile
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Hummers are gone - September 19th, 2005 at 06:43 AM
Overnight my hummingbird population has dropped from a yard full to almost nothing.

Yesterday they were all here, as usual. grinnnn
Today, I saw one this morning, and a few this afternoon. eek
One is at the feeder right now...and he can eat all he wants because there's not another one out there to run him off.

It's almost over..... ters

Cindy
Posted By: Thornius Re: Hummers are gone - September 19th, 2005 at 07:30 AM
KEEP THOSE FEEDERS UP, AFGREY!!!! frown frown frown
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Hummers are gone - September 20th, 2005 at 08:17 PM
thumbup
I saw a few yesterday... grinnnn
...and there's one out there right now eating, with no worries that another one is gonna come along and start a fight!
He eats for awhile then preens for awhile.....

Cindy
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Hummers are gone - September 20th, 2005 at 08:43 PM
Same here, Cindy.
The fighting has ceased, and the lingerers can drink for as long as they like without feeling threatened.

Won't be long before they all leave for warmer climates, but for now I'm still loving seeing the ones that are still here.
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Hummers are gone - September 30th, 2005 at 02:01 AM
I guess my hummingbirds are finally gone, I haven't seen any for 5 or 6 days.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hummers are gone - September 30th, 2005 at 03:19 AM
Mine totally left about a week ago...my feeder is still up and swinging though just in case there is a straggler...

I wish they didn't have to leave!!!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Hummers are gone - September 30th, 2005 at 05:56 AM
Mine seem to be gone too... from the feeders, that is. Though yesterday, I was walking down my deck stairs and something buzzed by really fast - thought it was one of those GINORMOUS bees that I have this fall for some reason, but saw the back of it and it looked like the irredescent green of a hummer. It was just a fleeting moment, but no other glimpses of any for about a week now.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hummers are gone - September 30th, 2005 at 06:10 PM
I'm no longer seeing any at my feeders. I did see one 3 days ago at my cardinal climber vine. Doesn't it seem kinda early for them to be leaving? They say that animals can feel changes in the atmosphere,could this mean winter is coming early?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Hummers are gone - September 30th, 2005 at 10:12 PM
Actually, G-mom, I think mine stuck around a bit longer this year, as we had a very hot Sept. here. It turned cooler rather suddenly, and their disappearance seemed sudden too.

I hope winter doesn't come early this year.
I just am not in the mood for it and the sloppy weather it brings!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Hummers are gone - October 1st, 2005 at 01:30 AM
I haven't seen one in about a week.
There was a butterfly at the hummingbird feeder yesterday...and Lola started making her hummingbird noise when she saw it.

She looks for them every morning...it's kinda sad.
As soon as I get her up we always go to the door and say good morning to the outside cat, and when the hummingbirds were here Lola would make their squeaking noise at the door and they'd come over and stare at her. She still makes the hummingbird noise every morning, waiting for them.

ters
Posted By: Thornius Re: Hummers are gone - October 1st, 2005 at 09:40 AM
One Ruby-throated Hummingbird was reported today at Radnor Lake State Park in Nashville, TN., but they are almost gone from here. Nevertheless, KEEP YOUR HUMMINGBIRD FEEDERS UP!!!!!
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: Hummers are gone - October 4th, 2005 at 03:11 AM
Ok I'm just curious. I was reading the first page of this post and everyone is saying the hummingbirds are gone or going cause autumn is here. Is this an east coast thing?...(not sure where everyone is from) I live on the west coast and we have hummingbirds here year round. I was told NOT to take the feeder down because winter is when the birds need them the most because of the lack of flowers in bloom.

Just curious.
Posted By: BobKy Re: Hummers are gone - October 6th, 2005 at 09:39 AM
Hi JAG,

It is mainly an East coast thing, as the Ruby-throated birds migrate back toward Mexico,etc. In the early Spring they head back North again. You don't have RT HB's in Calif.

You have various types of HB's in California,and some do migrate (like the Rufous); but, as you say, some do stick around all year (most likely Anna's). I would leave my feeder up in So.Cal. year-round.

http://www.laspilitas.com/California_birds/Hummingbirds/Anna\'s_Hummingbird/Anna\'s_Hummingbird.htm

hummer info 2
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Hummers are gone - October 7th, 2005 at 08:52 AM
Hi, Bob! wavey
I just noticed you are my neighbor!

I live in London...right down the road from you!

Welcome to the forum!

Cindy
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Hummers are gone - October 7th, 2005 at 12:16 PM
I saw one the other day! I think it was just passing through and found my feeder. I have the feeder hanging outside the dining room window and heard a buzzing noise as I was walking past and by the time I looked, it was halfway to the woods. I scared it away!! ters
Posted By: BobKy Re: Hummers are gone - October 7th, 2005 at 07:54 PM
Howdy neighbor Cindy,

Yes, I'm here in Lexington (a "terrible" place to live...please pass the word smile

We still have at least one Hummingbird still around. Maybe they will pass by your home on the way South wink
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Hummers are gone - October 13th, 2005 at 09:06 PM
KEEP YOUR HUMMINGBIRD FEEDERS UP!!!!!
It's true, my hummers have been gone for 3-4 weeks now, but the bees enjoyed the feeder up until 3 days ago, now I've taken it down thumbup [Linked Image]
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]