A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Carly Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 29th, 2005 at 08:58 PM
Guess if you're from Louisiana, you're not online. I'm watching the CNN live coverage.

It's in Biloxi and it has hit New Orleans, of course.

Baton Rouge is under fire right now.

It's getting worse before it moves out.
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 29th, 2005 at 10:13 PM
hi carly wavey
i'm watching the coverage very closely too.
dh has some cousins in houma and metarie, la. (near n.orleans)
they were undecided as to their plans, last time we spoke to them,
sure hope they left the area and are safe.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 29th, 2005 at 10:37 PM
I was watching a wee~bit of it coming into
shore this morning on the FOXNEWS CHANNEL...

Looked scarey!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 29th, 2005 at 10:44 PM
I've been watching since yesterday non stop....It's horrible for all of those poor people down there.....so sad...hope everyone stays safe.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 29th, 2005 at 11:19 PM
I just heard on the weather channel that an apartment building with people inside just collapsed, and there are people standing on houses hoping to be rescued from the rising water.
(Louisiana)
Posted By: Carly Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 30th, 2005 at 02:10 AM
They expect matters to get worse as the afternoon progresses. The storm's not moving off as fast as they thought it would.

Apparently, the faster it moves forward, the better, 'cause there's less rain that way.

We are expecting the rain Tuesday and Wednesday, maybe even some tonight. But that's all we'll get - rain. I doubt we'll even get winds.

'Course it ain't over yet - we'll have to see.
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 30th, 2005 at 05:39 AM
that is just terrible that something like this has to happen again. there has been terrible hurricanes within the past 2 years. we're only supposed to get the rain tomorrow and the winds wednesday.
Posted By: Bids Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 30th, 2005 at 01:03 PM
I have also been following the storm on cnn. Thank God i live in SA! I feel so terrible for all those people having to start again..! I can't imagine how i'd feel if not only my house but my garden where gone in the blink of an eye! Excrutiating. S'pose as long as all family members are accounted for, nothing else matters!!
Swear if I could I would move to another country. Run very fast away from the horrific weather.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 30th, 2005 at 10:49 PM
The shame is, that each part of the land seems
to have a little kink in it...

South Hurricanes, Venomous Animals, Heat, etc..

West Coast, Earthquakes, Mudslides, Forest Fires, Venomous Animals, Heat, etc..

North, Blizzards, Cold, etc..

Mid~part of the country, Tornado's, Low Water,
Bugs, etc..

Can't seem to get away from it..
*except the North only has two things, we're the lowest on the list of things happenin' to us..*wink* *
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 30th, 2005 at 10:54 PM
Oh I dunno Weezie, I think I gotta disagree with ya on that one - I know I'm glad I don't have to worry about terrorism hitting NYC as much now that I'm here in the midwest with the bugs and tornados! wink Just wish the rest of my family wasn't still there frown
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 30th, 2005 at 10:56 PM
yeah, you got me there..
*luckily, I guess for me,
I'm up wind of them*

sca I think! shk
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 30th, 2005 at 11:01 PM
Yeah, you should be good Weezie - hopefully...I mean, pretty much if they wanted to, we could all be blown to bits...none of us would be safe...but then, it'd be an all out WWIII, so nobody would really be safe. That's extreme though...let's hope that's all behind us now wink
Posted By: Thornius Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 02:08 AM
Right now In Middle Tennessee the hurricane is passing over right now, GREATLY diminshed. we've gotten about 3 inches of rain so far with brisk but NOT dangerous breezes. My Birdwatching buddies are in heaven with dozens of Tennessee bird records being made due to Gulf birds that are NEVER seen in Tennessee being brought in by the winds in large numbers. Hurricanes are a mixed blessing to us in Tennessee.
Posted By: Carly Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 02:49 AM
That's fabulous about the birds. And I'm glad you're not having too bad a time of it.

And you won't have to water your garden tonight

;-)
Posted By: JV Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 03:52 AM
Hope everyone is safe. Got rain all around me in fact within a mile of my house and yep I am still having to water did not get one drop. Anyone heard from pc? Greenwood was right in the middle of this mess.
Jimmy
Posted By: Carly Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 07:23 AM
We're still dry here in
Toronto - it's 8:20 pm here.

It's supposed to rain overnight - and all day Wednesday.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 08:17 AM
Just watched the news (again) and am sending out my most heartfelt prayers to the family and victims of this horrible tragedy. I can't even imagine the heartbreak.
Posted By: Triss Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 09:27 AM
With you on the prayers. It is to the point where I can only watch a bit of it. It is strange that when 9-11 happened I was glued in my anger to the TV. Did not turn it off for a week straight just waiting to see what happened next. With this, I cannot bear to watch the destruction knowing there is just no one to blame it on.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 09:44 AM
Triss, you just said exactly what I'm feeling - I just couldn't verbalize it. I haven't looked at the news at all...just can't....where with 9/11 I was glued constantly, waiting to see what was next. It's just so depressing!
Posted By: Triss Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 09:57 AM
I know it is. Dan finally turned it off and is watching comedy now. Gathered a bunch of clothes to one area today and will be boxing them up by size tomorrow and making sure it is all good stuff.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 10:14 AM
Were you able to find a place that will take them yet Triss? I still haven't been able to find a place.
Posted By: Carly Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 10:24 AM
I can't believe the devastation! We're watching the news and yes, the rain is falling here in Toronto.

How selfish of me to be hoping for this rain - when these poor people are in such horrific conditions, I'm thinking about rain for my silly [BLEEP] gardening.

This is unbelievable what's happened to these people.

The National Guard is ready to go, but they've got to find a way to get to them - probably float in, is what will happen.

I was so happy knowing we'd get this rain tonight and tomorrow - my garden, my garden, my schmarden - I'm such a silly selfish woman.

There, now I've told myself off.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 10:38 AM
laugh Carly, you're a hoot. Sometimes we just lose focus on the global scale of things, that's all. Don't bang your head too hard.

Here yesterday I kept thinking about the history, and all *I* didn't get to see...geesh. Selfish?

I think the tragedy that impressed on me most was the image of rescuers that were passing up dead bodies to rescue the live ones. I read that one guy was carrying around a bag of ... excrement ...because of the lack of plumbing and horrifying sanitation issues.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 12:03 PM
"Frustratedattimes" lives in Ga..
Is he by that area that got hit???

Just curious???
Posted By: Meg Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 04:46 PM
I never heard that it really hit GA. I hope he's safe.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - August 31st, 2005 at 08:00 PM
If any of you want to know a little more
of ways to help..
The Today Show had some places on it's website
this morning..

I'll post a link...
The Today Show\'s Link to How to help Katrina\'s victims, get information

They were saying, really to send money to those
places that were registered to help out in those
situations...

I'll post this on the other posts too..
Posted By: Carly Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - September 2nd, 2005 at 09:31 AM
And to beat all - Fats Domino is missing!

He said he was going to stay in his New Orleans home with his wife, Rosemary and duaghter. Now he's missing!

Ohhhh!
Posted By: Triss Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - September 2nd, 2005 at 09:32 AM
I heard that today too Carly.
Posted By: Carly Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - September 2nd, 2005 at 09:44 AM
On a serious note, I think this disaster has opened the minds of many - people are starting to 'think'! Can you imagine that?!

People are actually thinking of what needs to be done - they're not just complacently figuring the government will look after everything. I think people are going to be demanding the government steps in and takes a firm control.

Should New Orleans be rebuilt in the same place? I don't think so.

How about a nature reserve? 'Cause y'know, all those cute little critters need a place to go now too.

And how about we pull all those kids out of Iraq and bring 'em home? Bring them home to help out the victims of Katrina?

Or am I being too silly?
Posted By: Meg Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - September 2nd, 2005 at 04:42 PM
Carly, I feel that way too.. bring our people home, to help at HOME. They seriously need all the help they can get.. but Bush says, the war on terror must, and will be won. :rolleyes: I don't wanna go there. Sure, let's go liberate another country, while nobody steps up to help us when wer'e in need. Ok, shuttin up.

I read about Fats Domino yesterday too.. unreal!
Posted By: Meg Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - September 2nd, 2005 at 05:50 PM
Update on Fats Domino.. he's apparently been found & rescued by boat.. no word yet on his family that was with him.

Meg
Posted By: Carly Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - September 5th, 2005 at 07:31 AM
That's a good sign, eh? Good ole Fats. I hope his family is ok.

That guy made my day one summer - he was here playing in the old forum at Ontario Place. He and his band were just great. That was way back in the late eighties.
Posted By: Carly Re: Anybody in the path of this storm? - September 5th, 2005 at 07:32 AM
Some positive news - the government has paid for 3 cruise ships that are not booked for trips. They're bringing them in and moving people onto them.

That makes good sense to me.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]