A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: floweraddict He fought hard, but he's in the freezer... - July 4th, 2005 at 09:48 PM
After raining most of the day yesterday we decided to go fishing at our favorite fishing lake (small abondoned reservoir).

The fish weren't biting well at first until i waded through the water into area that i hadn't fished before. It was about 4 ft deep and there were lots of small submerged pine trees in the water.
It was there that i caught my largest largemouth bass ever...
It was exactly 5 lbs, 21.5 inches long!
May not be big to some, but it was huge to me! It was taller than the 5 gallon bucket we were carrying.
We had lots of fun- caught 10 bass in all. thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: He fought hard, but he's in the freezer... - July 4th, 2005 at 10:13 PM
I miss fishing, we haven't gotten our licenses for 2 years now......glad you had a good time fishing Bob...it's so relaxing.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: He fought hard, but he's in the freezer... - July 4th, 2005 at 10:29 PM
Sounds like a fish fry to me! I'll make the slaw & jalepeno hush puppies!
Posted By: Merme Re: He fought hard, but he's in the freezer... - July 4th, 2005 at 10:36 PM
flw flw Congratulations, Bob! flw flw

We are not expert fishermen here, but my little boy tries hard enough each summer to catch something. I think he likes the environment of the fisherman, regardless of what he does or does not catch.

If we were still down home, I would teach him how to go crabbing and he'd love the success of that endeavor, but those crabs don't come this far north into the cold water....

Merme
Posted By: floweraddict Re: He fought hard, but he's in the freezer... - July 5th, 2005 at 08:48 AM
We tried it again this afternoon and fished until about 6pm. We caught about 7 bass, but nothing huge this time.
Yes, wish we could have everyone over for a fish fry... There's nothing like fresh fried fish!

Hope everyone is having a great 4th!
Posted By: Storm Re: He fought hard, but he's in the freezer... - July 5th, 2005 at 08:53 AM
WoW!!!

Now that's a fish story. laugh

I miss fishing. I love to fish from shore on some lake somewhere. I'm not so good in a boat.

The day just lingers in the silence of good lake.

Nice catch.

thumbup
Posted By: floweraddict Re: He fought hard, but he's in the freezer... - July 5th, 2005 at 09:27 AM
Thanks Storm.

I have a boat, but i've been fishing the past few days at a secluded reservoir (can only get there on foot). It's a short walk from my property.

I don't fish from shore either... at this lake i wade in the water to get away from all the trees and dense vegetation that is along the shore.There is also lots of small submerged pine trees- excellent habitat for fish to hide. Quite often, the water is up to my chest. With this method, i can go into areas that u can't normally can't reach. Unfortunately, my lure gets snagged from time to time on the submerged trees. If this happens, i go and get it. If it means diving in 8ft of water, so be it!!! lol! Crazy, huh? Duh
Lots of fun!
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: He fought hard, but he's in the freezer... - July 5th, 2005 at 10:17 AM
.. i just just swim across with my stringer of fish and fishing pole.
Now Bob...that's scary! I wont get in ANY water that I can't see my feet! How do you know what is in there? sca Nope...not me...I'm staying on the bank!
Posted By: floweraddict Re: He fought hard, but he's in the freezer... - July 6th, 2005 at 10:10 AM
Vanessa, there's really nothing to be scared of...

The water is very clear; gets dark only where it's deep. Maximum depth is around 75 ft.

We don't have alligators in this area of SC... just alligator snapping turtles... my a$$ is too big a meal for them lol!

I'm not worried about the snakes either... When they fall out of the trees and into the water they generally stay close to the water's edge... ters
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]