A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Wrangler Water loving shrubs or bushes - August 14th, 2005 at 02:18 AM
My husband and I have created a boggy area in our yard by building a retaining wall to prevent the front yard from taking over the driveway. As a result, even with the french drain, the rhododendrons are dying due to too much water. Can anyone suggest some shrubs or bushes to put in such a wet area? Duh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Water loving shrubs or bushes - August 14th, 2005 at 03:35 AM
Pussy Willows...love water..
*they have some really cute pink one's
and black one's are out too..as well as the white/gray kind*

Sweetwoodruff, ground cover loves shade and
moist conditions..they have beautiful green,
an ornate leave and delicate white flowers,
and aren't too aggressive as far as a ground cover.
Posted By: Wrangler Re: Water loving shrubs or bushes - August 17th, 2005 at 05:30 AM
Thanks for the help! I'll have to look these up to know what they are. I appreciate it!

Wrangler
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Water loving shrubs or bushes - August 17th, 2005 at 06:59 AM
The woodruff is the one that smells like vanilla too isn't it weezie? And are the cattails a good bog plant. I always see them in the dry arrangements with the pussywillows but I wasn't sure if they actually grow in the same conditions. If I had a bog I would definitely have some of the tropicanna cannas. The foliage is so great it's bloom is secondary in my opinion and its pretty cool all by itself.

If you have enough of a bog going could you fit a weeping willow in that area? I think they are fantastic trees but they are much bigger than a bush.

Hope you find a good solution to your problem. Let me know what you decide. I always love to know what people decide.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]