A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 12:42 AM
Sorry I don't have a bloom to start this one off with. But hopefully someone will come along and provide us with one.
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 12:54 AM
No blooms here either but this string is so inspiring! Gives me so many ideas!
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 12:58 AM
Well here I am for the slam dunk :rolleyes: laugh

peek-a-boo I see you! Teddybear sunflower and frog fountain wink
[Linked Image]

My last glad bloom until the next batch comes up in fall
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 01:09 AM
Now that is what we needed. Very nice!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 01:27 AM
Really really nice job Mary. Love that teddybear sunflower and frog picture. BTW while I'm thinking about it. Non of my canna have produced viable seeds yet. I keep watching and hoping but I think I have all the sterile kind that were mentioned down in plants and flowers. But the tubers? will still be dividable I think. Not to sure that was a word there. Sorry for the poor english.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 01:39 AM
Yaknow, I think it's grasshoppers that eat my leaves like that - and I was blaming flea beetles the whole time. Dont get me wrong, i have them too ... but I figure it's a losing battle - I mean, whatcha supposed to do about grasshoppers? You can see some of the holes in the sunflower picture. Guess I just have to live with it eh? Duh

Hey don't worry about the canna on my account. If you get good seeds, great, if not, no problemo. I'll see if I can find some local - free or close to it wink
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 02:27 AM
I think as you tame and take care of your yard after the years of neglect your going to see a lot of the pests and problems go away. Or am I reading the information incorrectly? I think that the better balanced the soil is and the healthier the flowers and plants are the less pest you get because they plants have ways of attracting good bugs and stuff that repels bad bugs. Can someone help me out here I am so out of my depth. lol.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 02:31 AM
Hey I'll buy that. Sounds right. I HAVE seen others say that if your soil is good, your stuff is more healthy, and seems to naturally repell the bad guys...so hopefully I can get this place completely cleaned up before next spring. I am winning the battle of the weeds!!! Wahoo! thumbup By then I hope to be better at companion planting too so that should help, I hope!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 02:39 AM
Yep I think it will. Glad to hear you are winning the weed war lol. I didn't think about the grass where I put the bentwood edging. And the grass has a field day in that area in each row. And I think the grass is definitely going to win that one because if I pull it out by the root I'd probably lose what's holding the edging in place and it would all come down on my head lol. So I'll just have to keep it hand pruned so to speak.

I'm so glad you understood what I was trying to say. I felt like I was sinking fast there without the life perserver lol. Well have a good day I'm going to go get ready to watch my Tuesday evening programs. Of course I will pop back on at least 100 times between now and bedtime lol.
Posted By: Karrie Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 05:45 AM
I love this post thanks for keeping it going TK! Big hugs for you!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 06:25 AM
Mary - those pictures are very nice - thanks for sharing!

Last year at the end of summer I bought 2 crepe myrtle bushes. They are kinda iffy here in zone 6, but I love the one I have seen around here and decided to give them a try. I never got around to planting one of them, and it overwintered in it's pot under my deck - lost that one. But, the one we got in the ground in fall is actually in bloom now - YEA!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 06:30 AM
Looking good Lynne. That is a great spot for it right next to the stairs. When it gets big, it is going to look even better!
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 07:00 AM
They have lots of crepe myrtles around here - I'm in 6b - kind of bordering zone 7 and they do great around here! It's so funny, I'll be thinking about something and lo and behold someone posts about it LOL! I was just trying to decide today if we should ... aww I gotta put this in landscape trials & triumphs...it's not really blooming - yet! laugh
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 07:06 AM
I am confused Mary. I guess I need to go look for your post in trials and triumphs.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 07:27 AM
Yeah - I just posted - kind of a manic post LOL I hope it makes sense... Long story short is, I'm trying to decide crepe myrtle or trumpet vine in my front yard wink Geesh I hope I wrote that in the other thread confused
Posted By: Carly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 07:53 AM
It all looks lovely - I don't really have anything to show today.

Other than the cyclamen but they were already blooming when they came.

My lot looks good though - lots of green, wild and cultivated with splashes of colour here and there.

I've taken to hunting in the woods for stuff to poke in.

Also the retaining wall on the garage ramp was picked over - some of that fuzzy ferny leaf that's yarrow (I think), not sure.
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 08:54 AM
I had to run and put the kids to bed but I will head over there as soon as I empty my inbox.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 10:36 AM
Testing..
[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 10:40 AM
2nd Test...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 10:42 AM
3rd Test...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 10:43 AM
4th Test...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 10:43 AM
Great pics Weezie. When you were first testing, I guess I came along before you got it right and I thought you were trying to link the album. So copy and paste I go and look at all of your flowers. You have great garden spaces all around. Love the raised beds and oh so much more! I could make comments about so many things. Beautiful stuff!
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 12:24 PM
Weeezie's got pictures!! great pictures!! I wanna see your album! can I? can I? pleeeeeeeease? I'll be your best friend! laugh laugh
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 08:57 PM
WOW! WOW! WOW! WEEZIE!!! thumbup

You've been holding out on us!!!

flw Great pictures of beautiful plants and flowers! clp

(I snuck a peek at the rest of your album too!)
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 10:03 PM
I just added a few more,
still got a ton more to do,
but I have to resize them to go
to the PHOTOBUCKET place..

We barrowed my f~i~l's camera,
and WOW, WOW, WOW, What a camera....
He might not get it back..

Here's a link, I think...
Weezie\'s Photobucket Pictures..

I have more of the garden projects I did,
but I have to go out and take some more..
and then find the before's and afters...
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 10:14 PM
Keep up the great picture taking and planting, Weezie! thumbup

By the way... what kind of camera is it?
I'm in the market for a much better one -
mine is sooooooo bad and blury most of the time...

Here are some pictures of my plumbago. It is an annual here, and I've been overwintering 2 twelve inch pots of it for about 5 years now. I'm so jealous of gardeners in warmer states where these grow like bushes!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 10:34 PM
Very pretty Lynne. Is that in the same family as the hyrdangea?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 10th, 2005 at 11:27 PM
Wow weezie more pictures please. Your stuff is sooooooooo cool. I love it.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 11th, 2005 at 12:08 AM
Lynne,
That's a really cool looking plant...
I have a ground cover plumbago and it's more
of an intense blue/purple....
and it' turns a rust colored stems...
especially when the weather starts to turn
colder...

By the way... what kind of camera is it?
I'm in the market for a much better one -
mine is sooooooo bad and blury most of the time...
I will have to take a peak at it..
It is really a cute little camera..
and takes some really good shots
and very easy to work, trust me,
if I can work it, it's EASY!!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 11th, 2005 at 12:10 AM
Tammy,
I have more pictures just gotta get them
resized...

You know I just love taking photo's.......
Makes my yard look ALOTTTTTTTTTT BETTER THAN IT
REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLY DOES!!! wink wink wink laugh laugh laugh shocked :rolleyes:
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 11th, 2005 at 12:15 AM
Triss ~ I don't think it's in the same family as hydrangea. Nothing about that came up when I did a search.

Here's a great site for more info on this plant:

plumbago

Weezie ~ I also have some of the ground cover plumbago - not quite the same... and it can be very invasive, ya know? My friend has a RING of the ground cover plumbago in her yard - it's been there ever since they've been living there for about 20 years now - it's the strangest looking area - will try and take a picture. Definitely a fairy ring going on there...
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 11th, 2005 at 05:33 AM
Thanks for the site. Does not look like a plant for my zone, to bad as it can be a very pretty border plant.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 11th, 2005 at 06:37 AM
Do what Lynne does, over winter it inside...
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 11th, 2005 at 06:56 AM
That would be great for a pot of it, but I was seeing it as a full border.

I have a great spot for something that can be trained as a high ground cover/mini hedge but stays green all year so that spot does not get bare.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 11th, 2005 at 11:16 AM
Weezie that was so much fun - thanks! I just sat with my bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream and watched the slide show - heaven! smile Just wished you were here so you could tell me what stuff was!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 11th, 2005 at 07:14 PM
Hey Mary, I'm just around the corner all the time.

When I win the lottery, I'll be goin' to everybodies house's...Wouldnt' that be fun..
*Talk about ANTICIPATION here*
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 11th, 2005 at 10:01 PM
I have pics to share today. My garden is wonderful after the bit of rain we got last night.

Touch-Me-Nots
[Linked Image]

Sunflower
[Linked Image]

Pretty Pink Flower (Zinnia?)
[Linked Image]

Late Bloom on a Hollyhock
[Linked Image]

And my Geraniums
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 11th, 2005 at 10:04 PM
And some non-blooming stuff that I just wanted to share.

3 Bell Peppers
[Linked Image]

A banana pepper, I think
[Linked Image]

Basil getting going
[Linked Image]

Lemon Basil
[Linked Image]

4 O'Clocks that I planted a few weeks ago
[Linked Image]

And my Morning Glories are finally going. They are getting eaten up by the grasshoppers though. Any idea on that little blue flower in the upper right?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JV Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 12th, 2005 at 04:08 AM
Hope your not tired of Hibiscus. More blooms
Evergreen Hibiscus Blooms
[Linked Image]
Same Flower with tape on it about 6 1/2 inch
[Linked Image]
Another manhot Sweet Yellow Hibiscus
[Linked Image]
Red Texas Star
[Linked Image]
Texa Star Hibiscus bloom opening
[Linked Image]
If you tire of Hibiscus let me know. I will double up on them then laugh
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 12th, 2005 at 05:56 AM
More, Jimmy. Send more, gosh they are so pretty!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 12th, 2005 at 06:05 AM
More more more please more. Love your flowers.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 12th, 2005 at 07:22 AM
beautiful pictures everyone - gosh I can't believe the size of that hibiscus flower!

Triss, if you find out the name of that blue flower, please let me know. It's fairly invasive - or at least it has been in this yard (may be if it's kept after it doesn't become quite so invasive?) I have it everywhere...though it does have a gorgeous deep blue flower.
[Linked Image] I think mine were eaten by flea beetles - this was back in early June.

Did you start those 4 oclocks from seed? Mine have done horribly frown It's my fault though, I didn't transplant them when they were big enough to move, and they must have pretty deep roots, because they're not doing well in my 10" pot.
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 12th, 2005 at 07:42 AM
My yard too but I kinda like it where it is now so that is ok for now. You should pop your pic into the mystery plants threads cuz it is better than mine.

Yes, I started the 4 oclocks a few weeks ago. Not exactly sure what date. I love how well they are growing but they really are taking over the place I put them. The area they are in is my experimental garden. Figuring out how they grow will enable me to decide where to put them next year. Doing that with everything in that section this year.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 12th, 2005 at 07:48 AM
Jimmy,
MORE HIBISCUS!!!!!!!!! clp clp clp
Can never have to many of those....
and that yellow one is soooo pretty....
Thanks for sharing those..

Mary and Triss, I believe that is some type of relative to the Spiderwort [Tradescantia sp.]
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 12th, 2005 at 07:57 AM
Mary, is it Vinca majora
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 12th, 2005 at 08:19 AM
Sorry Sheri ~ I have to agree with Weezie here on the Spiderwort. I posted a picture of the same thing last summer, and that is what it turned out to be. The vinca is more purple, with a different shaped leaf.

Good guess, though...
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 12th, 2005 at 09:08 AM
Yep, it looks like Spiderwort. There sure are a lot of varieties of it out there. Thanks for the ID.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 02:34 AM
Yep, definitely spiderwort. If I can just get them a bit more contained (as well as the flea beetles that chomp them up), I'll enjoy them more - thanks for the ID!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 02:36 AM
Flea Beatles Love Radishe's,
and I read that if you plant those near what you want the FB's to go to, instead of your other plants..
The radishe's supposedly can handle them,
cause they grow so fast it doesn't effect them??? Duh

I put my Wonder Egg plants by them,
and no more FB's!!
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 03:24 AM
I will have to remember radishes. Have not had a whole lot of trouble with bugs this year until now. We ahve grasshoppers now and they are mostly eating my irises. Since they have already bloomed, I am ok with that.

I really have to wonder what I have in my garden that is keeping them away.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 05:37 AM
hmm I will try radishes next year. Though I read that one reason you can have FBs is if you had a lot of plant debris you didn't clean up - which was definitely the case here. So may be as time goes on, they will become less of a problem...but in the meantime, radishes are my friend. Geesh I've got grasshoppers too. I've never seen so many. Then again, I've never lived in the country before either wink
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 06:18 AM
They are really bad this year Mary, the grasshoppers, that is. We have been here a couple of years now and never seen nearly as many as this year.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 06:53 AM
That's good to know. Even though the glads are done, they wouldn't look so bad if they weren't being chomped so badly. Yaknow, I never knew Jiminey Cricket was a grasshopper! laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 09:53 AM
Here's what's blooming today..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 09:58 AM
And in the veggie garden...
Anybody ever seen one of these???

[Linked Image]

I should make it a guessing game...
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 10:07 AM
Beautiful pictures. On the veggie, hmmmm looks like an unripe tomato being eaten by very little bugs???
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 10:11 AM
frown
Posted By: Meg Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 10:56 AM
LOL.. I like that guess Triss.. but by Weezie's look of frown I'm guessing NO. laugh

Beautiful photos weezie!! So glad you got ahold of a camera.. I loved looking thru your photobucket album.

Meg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 08:15 PM
if you find out the name of that blue flower, please let me know.
Sorry to jump in kinda late,but I do believe the little blue flower is an Asiatic Dayflower ,they are a member of the Commelina family. Spiderworts have a longer strap-like leaf.

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 08:26 PM
Oooooooh, Aaaaaaaaah Weezie - I like, I like! clp

Here's one of my butterfly bushes after I deadheaded it yesterday.
It started out as a volunteer seedling last summer, and boy did it grow up!
Yep - that's one bush! wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 08:36 PM
G-Mom... That is exactly what I have growing in my yard. Reading about it, it still is in the spiderwort family and the other pics were really close but that is exact. Thanks!

That is great Lynn, very pretty.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 09:12 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh G~mom!!
eek eek I'm cryin' now...
I had found that flower last night,
AsiaticDayflower-N looking for another
flower I wanted to post for Japanese Beatle control but I was so pppppppppoooped I just mailed it to myself cause I couldn't find the post where Mary had posted it, DUH!!!

Congrats on getting it!!!!
That is a beautiful blue!!!
Hey Lynne, whatchya think?
Is it in your growing zone?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 09:27 PM
Weezie - thanks for thinking of me and my blue garden! I actually do have a small patch of that flower - dug it up outside the place where I did pottery 2 years ago.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 13th, 2005 at 10:26 PM
It really is a pretty blue - I've never really seen a flower that' THAT blue. Course I ain' been around too aweful much yet! smile In the spring when I saw them, I stuck about 10 in an 8" pot in my 'test garden' because I didn't know what they were - Well they became part of the landscape and I forgot about them even after I figured out what they were. In about mid July they had grown wayyyy out of their pot, and most of it was dying from not being watered and not having much root in soil - but they still flowered! It was crazy! Thanks for the ID!
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 14th, 2005 at 01:15 AM
great pics everybody! weezie that veggie pic is killing me...could ya give us a teeny tiny hint pleeeeezzzzeeee??? I have no clue what it is...looks like an apple or something to me lol
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 14th, 2005 at 02:51 AM
Jamie,
Go into the Mystery Section,
I posted it down there..
I did put one hint..
Posted By: Meg Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 15th, 2005 at 08:01 PM
Well.. I bought these at the farmer's market this weekend. They were just so pretty! Some are already starting to fade tho..

Boquet 1
[Linked Image]

Boquet 1 again
[Linked Image]

Boquet 2
[Linked Image]

1 & 2
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Meg Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 15th, 2005 at 08:11 PM
Ok, a few more..

Mini roses to plant later on..
[Linked Image]

A few more of my blue glads
[Linked Image]

Meg
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 15th, 2005 at 08:15 PM
Great pics Meg! Pretty arrangements.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 15th, 2005 at 08:18 PM
Gosh, Meg, those Farmer Market Flowers
are soooooooooo pretty...
What's the going price for those?
Do they sell them everyweek???
Posted By: Meg Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 15th, 2005 at 08:20 PM
I am not sure if they have them every week, but I think they would.. it's the market in the town where I go for my labs.. I had to get labwork on Saturday, and they run the market every saturday from 10-something. laugh The mixed boquets were $6, and if you wanted just sunflower boquets, they were $5.

I also bought 2 little containers of blackberries. Umm.. I guess I'm not gonna make anything with them tho, cuz me & the #2 kiddo have been eating them. lala
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 15th, 2005 at 08:46 PM
We have a farmers' market in the next town over
every Wednesday..it starts at like 4 or 5:00am..
for bidding on chickens, ducks, etc....
and then it' opens for assorted sales of cheese,
books, garden stuff, and in the back like garage sales, everyone brings in stuff on tables...
and it's open until 3 or 4:00pm... for the auctions that start at like 1:00pm.

I had often wondered if I could EVER do something like that....it's hard with the kiddo's... getting them off to school in the morning,
and the organic ways with all the bugs..
DUNNO?? Maybe someday..
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 16th, 2005 at 03:37 AM
Hey Meg what are the tall thin purple things in the back of the boquets please? Those are cool.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 16th, 2005 at 09:04 AM
Pink Celosia
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 16th, 2005 at 06:08 PM
Thanks Weezie. It seems I always like celosia in all it's forms lol.
Posted By: Meg Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 16th, 2005 at 07:40 PM
That's so cool! Thanks for the info weezie.. I didn't know what they were! I just thought the boquets were very pretty & with the mix of sunflowers & all those bright colors.. I couldn't resist! (And the fuzzy wavy ones, they totally caught my eye!)

Meg
Posted By: Carly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 16th, 2005 at 08:01 PM
This little corner has come along quite nicely - the morning glories, the kalanchoe and the recently introduced whaddyacallit -

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Meg Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 16th, 2005 at 08:40 PM
Oh carly, that is so beautiful!! I love the morning glories climbing that fence!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 16th, 2005 at 09:20 PM
I agree with Meg,
That is so cute...
I love all the colors including
the black fence...

Can you do the entire fence next year???
That would look so neat..

* teech FYI crit If you ever try to help
a Morning Glory climb up a item, make sure
you pay attention to which direction you are twining it, MG's like to twine in a certain direction....from the right side to to left,
back behind to the right, then to the left.
*In my observations..*
Posted By: Carly Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 17th, 2005 at 07:23 AM
The rest of that fence is shade - I don't think the glories will open there.
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 17th, 2005 at 07:56 AM
Wow Meg, those blue glads are to die for.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 17th, 2005 at 06:18 PM
One of the glads is sending up a new stock. I'm very confused I didn't know they would do this twice in one season. It's much shorter than the ones earlier this season but the flowers are starting to bloom on it. It's a very nice suprise.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 17th, 2005 at 08:14 PM
Tammy,
The bulb that you planted, may have had a tiny one (baby) off to the side of it when you planted it...and then grew in size this summer..
thus flowering..
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 18th, 2005 at 08:23 PM
Really? That's cool. We were pregnant and I didn't even know it. That's fantastic. Is there anything I should do for the baby?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 18th, 2005 at 09:44 PM
Do you pull ups up for the winter,
or just leave them in the ground??

If you leave them in the ground,
then, pretty much nothing..
Unless, after time, you notice either
one of them waining when flowering or growing
tall in the coming years, then they may need
dividing??? Duh

We pull ours up here........

Although, last year, my mom's got rust...
**Cause it was soooooooooo wet* and she got
tired of pulling them and got p!ssed off at
pulling and left a few...
They came up this summer..
She and I were both amazed as we are growing zone
5.......but we are protected by alot of trees,
and we have alot of sidewalks, house's, so,
it may be a micro climate... dunno..
She'll leave them again, and do an experiment..
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 18th, 2005 at 11:29 PM
I think in zone 7a I'm allowed to leave them down. The Cannas will have to be lifted because they are in a cement container but the glads can be left in place. So they are fine where they are. That's great. I plant to do some rearranging for next years garden but I haven't quite gotten around to even preparing the flower beds yet so I won't bother you with questions about that part until I have somewhere to move them to lol. Thanks for the info Weezie.
Posted By: Meg Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 19th, 2005 at 07:51 AM
Just a sprig of babies breath, from a packet I sprinkled a bit late..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 19th, 2005 at 08:18 AM
I love that flower,
they are so delicate!
Posted By: JV Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 22nd, 2005 at 12:30 AM
Finaly got a bloom one to be exact on my Katie ground cover. It is purple and I think pretty. Bear in mind I had to lay on my stomach to get these shots and pulled myself up using the fence and a cane. frown laugh don't laugh was not a pretty sight. laugh
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Was worth it I guess.
Jimmy
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 22nd, 2005 at 01:26 AM
That is a very pretty flower Jimmy!!!
I have never heard of that flower..
I'll have to look it up for some info..

What's the growing zone???
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 22nd, 2005 at 02:01 AM
I think your pictures are worth the effort Jimmy and thank you so much for taking them they are really nice. Is that a drought tolerant ground cover? I'm looking for somethings for next year. and does it like shade or sun? I'm always so nosey. Have a great day.
Posted By: JV Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 22nd, 2005 at 03:09 AM
I don't know Weezie it was given to me and they told me the name. I am in Zone 7 had three of them this is the only one that lived for some reason.
Jimmy
Posted By: JV Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 22nd, 2005 at 03:12 AM
Tammy the one I had in shade died. Had one in morning shade it died this one on west side gets the hot Western sun as well as from around 9:00 a. m. on I water everything each morning early but is supposed to be drougth tolerant.
Jimmy
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 22nd, 2005 at 04:00 AM
Cool. Thank you JV. I'll keep that in mind for my sunny side.
Posted By: JV Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 22nd, 2005 at 05:23 AM
Weezie , Tammy hwere is what I found when I searched Katie

RUELLIA

Growth Rate: Medium

Plant Type: Evergreen Shrub

Flower Color: White & Pink

Flower Season: Spring, Summer, Fall

Light: Full Sun - Partial Shade

Fertilize: Every 45 Days

Drought Tolerance: Medium - High, Keep moist do not let me dry out.

Cold Tolerance: Zone 9, root hardy in Zone 8.

Salt Tolerance: Low, do not plant near salt water.

Origin: Mexico

Comments: Great for borders, new blooms appear everyday !!

MORNINGSTAR NURSERY
here is the link http://www.morningstarnursery.com/indexground_cover.htm.
I hope this is ok and not hot linking.
Jimmy
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 22nd, 2005 at 07:09 AM
Hey JV great job on getting all that info. So how did you survive being inside all day? I know you much perfer to be outside.
Posted By: JV Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 22nd, 2005 at 09:02 AM
No I didn't . wound up going outside went to sons house so my daughter in law could give me my weekly shot and they werent home. Did not take long to get home and back inside. Not made for inside too depressing. Still 93 here at 9:00 CST. Feels like a sauna outside. Weather said might get a tunderstorm if we do it will be all thuinder and no rain or cool air. Have a good night rest well.
Jimmy
Posted By: JV Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 27th, 2005 at 12:47 PM
Wanna see my Huskey Tomato?
Profile [Linked Image]
Huskey Tomato Face [Linked Image]
Frontal [Linked Image]
I will never plant another Huskey Toamato they are real small. Sticker said 3 to 4 inch this barely made an inch with the long nose and all.
Jimmy
Posted By: JV Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 27th, 2005 at 12:54 PM
More Hibiscus:
These blooms are all on one plant Versicolor Pink at the same time. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JV Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 27th, 2005 at 01:06 PM
Manhot Sweet Yellow another bush not same plant I posted before.
[Linked Image]
Caroline Breeze [Linked Image]
Another Carolina Breeze
[Linked Image]
Just playing with the two above.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 27th, 2005 at 06:45 PM
Jimmy,
Those are absolutely breath taking flowers..
So pretty!!!!
I love the different colors..

And that tomato was an attention getter!!! thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Blooming Heaven part 6 - August 27th, 2005 at 07:18 PM
I adore the "Carolina Breeze",the mixture of colors is breathtaking!

Thanks for sharing,JV thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]