A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper Compost Problem - July 10th, 2005 at 05:15 AM
All the grass clipping that the landlord added to the compost bin seems to have created a problem. It has dried into clumps and the newspaper that I added to try to give it some brown is just sitting there not decomposing at all. Does anyone have any idea's about what I need to do to get things started again? I don't know what to add.
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Compost Problem - July 10th, 2005 at 07:24 AM
maybe it's to dry? maybe you can put some water on it or something?
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Compost Problem - July 10th, 2005 at 08:47 AM
Yep I second Miss Jamie...needs water, coffee, juice, whatever ya got in the fridge that's starting to get science project-y, me thinks.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Compost Problem - July 10th, 2005 at 08:48 AM
cool I'll definitely give it a drink tomorrow. But I'm not sharing my coffee with it lol. There are limits yaknow lol. Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Compost Problem - July 10th, 2005 at 09:13 AM
LOL! Well, T, the least ya could do is give it your coffe grounds....unless of course you're drinking instant laugh Which in that case I think you should make an extra cup just for it - c'mon think about all it's giving YOU! LOL I'm wayyy too attached to this compost thing, I think laugh
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Compost Problem - July 10th, 2005 at 06:27 PM
It gets the grounds, I'm not that greedy. I guess I better get out there with some kind of liquid today lol.
Posted By: JV Re: Compost Problem - July 11th, 2005 at 01:08 AM
I spray water on my top of ground compost dailey and in my compose tumbler as needed. Never thought about extra juice will try what the gliders don't use.LOL They like peach,apple,apricot nector that should be ok no?
Jimmy
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Compost Problem - July 11th, 2005 at 10:13 AM
Ohhhh yeah any of those would be great JV - my compost told me so laugh Seriously, any kind of fruit juice is great wink Old (flat) soda, or yaknow that last drink that's left in your cup after a meal? At least I always have a little left at the end of the day...well it all goes in my compost jug in the kitchen and my compost help just about does a jig when it sees me coming with my goodies.

Okay, sorry, delirium sets in when I'm overtired shocked
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Compost Problem - July 14th, 2005 at 05:54 AM
Just wondering if you're seeing any improvement with your bin, T?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Compost Problem - July 14th, 2005 at 06:22 AM
nope. grumble. It hates me.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Compost Problem - July 14th, 2005 at 09:42 AM
frown Sorry, T...but Im sure it doesn't hate you. Unless you've been denying it coffee wink It'll get there...don't give up. Think like a compost heap. If you were a microbe... laugh I can't even finish the sentence...I'm so rediculous sometimes laugh laugh laugh but don't give up! wink
Posted By: toot1 Re: Compost Problem - July 14th, 2005 at 10:07 AM
Hmmm,
I like the suggestions for moisture. Throw in a little cow manure? Stir it up with a rake?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Compost Problem - July 14th, 2005 at 06:49 PM
Oh Mary you do brighten my day lol. Think like a microbe. Is that akin to walk like an egyptian? hehehhhe.

Hey toot welcome to the forum. That is an excellent suggestion. Unfortunately I'm a city gardener and don't have any access to cow manure. Shucks I don't even own a rake. I'm on diability and have extremely small resources for making my garden. The compost gets stirred/turned using a broken shovel that someone gave me.
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Compost Problem - July 14th, 2005 at 07:04 PM
Tammy, (whispering real low...) You can always pee on it! laugh laugh laugh

Dianna
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Compost Problem - July 14th, 2005 at 07:48 PM
Oh dear, lol

No I don't think so. But thanks for the thought Dianna. I'll keep it in mind for garden emergencies. ROLF

Hope you have a good day.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Compost Problem - July 15th, 2005 at 08:33 AM
I still get a little weirded out about the pee thing. I mean, if I were a guy, may be...dunno...may be not either... Duh

Imagine hauling that downstairs T? LOL You'd be praying the whole way ya didn't bump into your neighbor. Yaknow, THAT neighbor laugh
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Compost Problem - July 15th, 2005 at 09:03 AM
Knowing me I'd be praying that I did bump into him ooooops. Sorry about that. hehehehehe. That would be the absolute last time he waylayed me in the hallway or just happened to come out to the garden or office at the same time I was there lol.

Shame on me.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Compost Problem - July 15th, 2005 at 09:33 AM
LOL!!!! laugh laugh laugh Ya killin me!
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Compost Problem - July 17th, 2005 at 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Dixie Angel:
Tammy, (whispering real low...) You can always pee on it! laugh laugh laugh

Dianna
I hadn't thought about that. I will have to try after it gets dark! laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Compost Problem - July 17th, 2005 at 08:02 AM
Originally posted by tkhooper:
I'm on disability.....
My wife is on disability also.
Posted By: jmacd Re: Compost Problem - July 20th, 2005 at 02:16 AM
I have an old concrete yard incinerator in my backyard and thought I could compost leaves in it, so last fall filled it to the top and left the lid off so rain would wet it.
idea
I checked it last week and it has decreased down to about a foot deep from at least 3 feet of leaves. I stired it around and found it's infested with ants! shk shk There are a million white eggs, too. How can I get rid of the wildlife in there? eek eek
H-e-l-p!

Thanks,

jmacd
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]