A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: melncholyblu Introduction - June 7th, 2005 at 08:45 AM
Hi, I'm from the south shore of Montreal. Although I do not have your typical garden, I like to plant some of my favourites in long troughs and pots. I have a love of dahlias and gazanias. I've also purchased two bonsai's from one of our local renovation centres. One is a juniper and the other a boxwood. No doubt I will be harassing fellow posters concerning their care. I purchased two lovely dwarf spruce trees which I potted in clay pots and placed on the stairs leading up to my front door. I hope I have better luck with these evergreens as I managed to almost kill the two dwarf global cedars I purchased two years ago. Fingers crossed and lots of reading will ensue smile I look forward to reading all the posts.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Introduction - June 7th, 2005 at 10:06 AM
Hi & Welcome,

Bonsai ... are you ambitious. I bought one once it cost a lot of money and lasted a week. I threatened to laquer it and keep it as a knic-knac. I was soooooooo upset. I had read books and was getting ready to go out and spend the earth on special stuff for it when it started dropping all it's needle clusters.

Now I have my eye on some dwarf evergreen ground cover that is growing in my "weed patch". It seems to be hardy and likes the shady areas and when I brought one in before sending it to a friend it did well inside. So I am in the process of building an interior landscape that will include 2 of them.

I hope you have every success with your project. I look forward to hearing more about them. I keep looking at the lacy red maple seeds for a bonsai but I am chicken.
Posted By: melncholyblu Re: Introduction - June 7th, 2005 at 04:45 PM
Hi tkhooper

I laughed when I read your post concerning the death of your bonsai. I too have run the gamut of bonsai destruction... very very expensive ones at that... and more than one. However my love of them prevailed and I took a chance (carefully watching my wallet) and bought two from our local home improvement centre... $25.00 each. When I returned home with my treasures I immediately ran to the computer and did some research. LOL apparently they have a term for the type of bonsais I bought... mallsies bonsai. Once I got over the insult to my lovely bonsais *snicker* I read on - thank goodness. I was told to immediately remove the stones so artistically placed all around the little trees as they are glued in place to prevent soil loss during shipment. The site that I found most useful and encouraging is http://www.bonsaiprimer.com/main.html - hope I'm allowed to post that URL. I will keep you informed of my progress with their upkeep. Thank you for your welcome smile
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]