A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 8th, 2005 at 05:14 PM
I love the flowers everyone has. Those hosta were very big. I may have to move mine around again if they decide to do that.
Posted By: Meg Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 8th, 2005 at 06:20 PM
Ok, here's a couple new pics for the new thread..

A queen anne's lace with some buggies enjoyin it
[Linked Image]

And these are in my wildflowers. They look just like the yellows with red centers, only, these were all red..
[Linked Image]

Meg
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 8th, 2005 at 09:01 PM
Thank you, njoynit!
Look at your babies.....

[Linked Image]

grinnnn
The one on the right just opened up this morning!

Cindy
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 8th, 2005 at 09:05 PM
Meg - those reddish flowers look like a coreopsis, though I don't know which variety...
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 8th, 2005 at 11:33 PM
I like the blue flowers meg. Don't know what they are but I like them.

Cindy is that your tropicanna cannas that bloomed on the right side? I love the picture you have of it as a baby in "water gardens". I was wondering what color the flower would be. When I get rich I'm going to see if I can buy some of those tubers(?).
Posted By: Meg Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 9th, 2005 at 12:31 AM
Those blue flowers are some of the bachelor buttons that popped up. They are in sooooo many colors! It's a rainbow of bachelor buttons! smile
Posted By: MissJamie Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 9th, 2005 at 03:03 AM
wow beautiful pics!! they are sooooo pretty! ok since I haven't really shown any pics of anything in bloom around here I'll show ya'll some pics of some wildflowers growing! I didn't grow them but nature did :-)

[Linked Image] wild daisies :-)

[Linked Image]
queen anne's lace

[Linked Image]
I have no clue what this is but it was pretty so I took a pic of it Duh

[Linked Image] another pic of the same I don't know above laugh
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 9th, 2005 at 03:21 AM
I really like those "I don't knows" They are really pretty.

And I finally have a contribution lol.

[Linked Image]
This is the canna that is half burgandy and half green split right down the middle lol. I don't think it will flower this year. The nastrum really crowded it. But next year maybe.

[Linked Image]
Here are the rest of the cannas.

[Linked Image]
And the Glads FINALLY!!! Horrible picture I know but at least I got a picture.
Posted By: rue anemone Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 9th, 2005 at 04:59 AM
Wonderful pictures!!

Cimifuga: http://www.flower-gallery.info/pages/flowers%20063_jpg.php
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 9th, 2005 at 05:09 AM
That is a really cool plant. Is anyone collecting seeds from it? Will it grow in zone 7? Hum going to have to look up some information. I guess my self control lessons didn't work. I'm back at it again. I just can't resist the flowers.
Posted By: Bestofour Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 9th, 2005 at 07:21 AM
tk, did you participate in the seed exchange we had last year? You may have gotten some of my batchelor button seeds.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Meg Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 9th, 2005 at 07:40 AM
TK, here's my patch again, with several colors of the bachelor buttons, and everything else that is growing with them!
[Linked Image]

This small patch is growing by my deck.. it was doing great, but either the weather flattened them this week, or a cat slept on them!
[Linked Image]

And ok, these aren't blooms.. anymore.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 9th, 2005 at 08:36 AM
Sheri, I just started gardening this March so I missed it last year. But I've been doing my best to catch up in a hurry lol. Your batchlor buttons look like they are almost violet is that right?

Look at you go Meg. That cucumber looks big enough to eat to me. And your wildflower bed looks really sweet just like you.

I like the kitty bed idea. Maybe I better make up a flower stake that says "Kitty Bed" that would be cute. Even if I don't have a kitty. Everyone would be wondering about what kind of flower was going to come up there. lol.
Posted By: Bestofour Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 9th, 2005 at 08:59 AM
tk, those flowers are almost violet. Maybe it was a bunny instead of a kitty in the flower bed.

Meg, did you plant those flowers? Very pretty.
Posted By: MissJamie Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 9th, 2005 at 12:00 PM
thanks so much for identifying my mystery flower rue!! and tk I'm gonna take a little walk tomorrow and see if it's seeding and if it is I'll get some seeds for you and anyone else that wants some! it's sooo pretty I'm gonna grow it too! thanks again rue! meg beautiful wildflowers! could ya keep me in mind if you get any seeds from the bachelor buttons? I am sure I'll have something that may interest you for them if you wanna do a trade :-) and that cucumber looks dilish!!
Posted By: MissJamie Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 9th, 2005 at 12:21 PM
ok I just went on the search and found these sites on cimifuga if you wanna read up on it :-)

http://www.grownative.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=229

http://www.hipernatural.com/en/pltserpentaria.htm

http://www.indianspringherbs.com/BlackCohosh.htm

I'll try to get some seeds from it :-)
Posted By: Meg Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 9th, 2005 at 07:17 PM
Sheri, I did plant everything you see there, well, except for the morning glories.. I can't get rid of them.. they are everywhere in my yard! They are the wild ones, that seem to pop up from underground, everywhere! Oh, and the queen anne's lace is wild too. And of course, some grass & other normalish weeds that I can't get rid of. :rolleyes: But yea, the wildflower patch, I did. It was just a can of "bird & butterfly" wildflower seed mix from walmart. I think it was maybe $5-$6. My friend got it for me for my birthday, since she knew I loved flowers, and thought I'd like them. I flw

MissJamie, I would collect ya seeds, but I've not been paying close enough attention to the individual flowers to know which is which when they go to seed. There's so many different wildflowers in the bunch, I could end up picking ya poppies & tickseed! laugh But, I do still have a LOT of blooms of the bachelor buttons, so if I find an opportunity, I'll keep ya in mind. wink

Meg
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 9th, 2005 at 08:30 PM
Thanks for the links Miss Jamie. I don't think I would try it as a medicine but it is interesting reading. They sure do get tall don't they. I didn't realize that from the pictures lol. But then I never expect a flower to get 7 feet tall. I guess because I wasn't around any like that when I was growing up lol.

If you find some seeds I would love some. I have some stuff in the seed exchange if you want to trade.
Posted By: MissJamie Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 10th, 2005 at 02:51 AM
oh it's ok meg don't worry about it :-) I have a wildflower mix too just was to lazy to plant them lol! I planted a little bit of it and they're coming up but they are seedlings right now though...I don't even think they'll flower this year because I was to late :-( oh well :-) tk I'll try to get some seeds from it :-) they are pretty tall...I couldn't believe they could get up to 7 FEET!!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 10th, 2005 at 09:03 AM
daylillies by the barn

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 10th, 2005 at 09:28 AM
TIGER LILIES!!! (I'm a little excited about them...can you tell?)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

And my current favorite glad [Linked Image]
Posted By: Meg Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 10th, 2005 at 09:33 AM
Oh Mary, those are simply beautiful! I love those Tiger Lilies!! And that glad is sweeeeeet!! Ok, I'm jealous.

And wow Sheri! What a nice field of flowers!! Did you plant all those??

Meg
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 10th, 2005 at 05:46 PM
I have a yellow cannas woohoo. Picture me doing the happy rubber chicken dance. As soon as I get dressed I'll get down there and get a picture. Woohoo la-la-la-di-dah.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 10th, 2005 at 06:15 PM
Here is the picture. It's not very good but I'm just not a shutterbug lol.

[Linked Image]

I'm so happy with it.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 10th, 2005 at 06:16 PM
Sheri ~ I LOVE that picture!

Mary ~ talk about eye popping - great job!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 10th, 2005 at 06:43 PM
Wow...everybodies pics are so pretty! Makes me want to go around and walk through everyones gardens thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 11th, 2005 at 12:38 AM
ewe...Miss Jamie, I want some of those seeds! I hate to post pics because every body's gardens are so pretty and mine are just "thrown" together!
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: JV Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 11th, 2005 at 01:01 AM
Tammy try standing alittle further away your photo looks like your focus was for a distance of about 10 ft. and a little higher up also need more sun from the side to help make bloom stand out. It is real pretty know your proud of it. I am proud for you.
Jimmy
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 11th, 2005 at 01:59 AM
Thanks JV,

I planted them in a 3 foot high planter had no idea they would end up being that tall lol. I'll know next year. lol It is a good picture of my a/c unit though lol.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 11th, 2005 at 02:58 AM
Everyone has such great pictures of their flowers kissies
Posted By: Fernie Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 11th, 2005 at 07:00 AM
oh your canna is gorgeous Tammy! My pink miniature snapdragons went nuts while I was gone and burst into bloom again! They are gorgeous! They are copying yours! We'll get some seeds for you yet!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 11th, 2005 at 09:44 AM
I'm glad your getting more blooms. Do you have it in a shady spot or a sunny spot, I forgot? I didn't mean to rhyme but what the hey? It's bad that in order for me to get pics you have to be without the camera. I so wish I could see pictures of the snapdragon. If you get some seeds that would be great. I'm looking for the white and a cream one too that are suppose to be available. Hope I find them next spring early.

Well have a good day and don't work to hard tomorrow.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 11th, 2005 at 10:29 AM
Proud mamma wink

Cosmic orange cosmos (grown from seed! Wahoo!)
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

And of course, roses laugh
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Meg Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 11th, 2005 at 05:12 PM
So pretty Mary!! Proud mama, I know the feeling.. stuff I started from seed growing.. it feels pretty good.

TK, even tho I can't see it all that great, I can tell that bloom must be beautiful!!

Hmm.. nothing really new to share right now. Well, not flowers anyway. wink

Meg
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 12th, 2005 at 12:02 AM
These are brightening my day today! cool

pink hydrangea
[Linked Image]

verbena - annual
[Linked Image]

scarlet runner bean
[Linked Image]

more in next post...
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 12th, 2005 at 12:06 AM
more of blue bird lacecap hydrangea as it continues to flower
[Linked Image]

not flowers, but banana peppers - so bright and cheery!
[Linked Image]

my first birdhouse gourd starting to take shape - isn't it sweet? cool
[Linked Image]

Aren't we having fun this summer sharing our flower children?!? laugh thumbup flw
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 12th, 2005 at 01:04 AM
I love your little gourd that is so cute. I hope you've been paying strict attention to Mike57's posts lol j/k.

He does so great with those. Oh and the breathing mask thing when you work on making them a birdhouse. That's important.

Gee you don't think I'm counting your chickens before they are hatched do you? lol.

And your banana peppers, are they the hot ones or are they sort of mild? I don't know anything about peppers.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 12th, 2005 at 01:17 AM
Hi TK - I did read Mike's post about the gourds - that's what prompted me to go out and check mine out this morning! thumbup And, thanks for the reminder about the masks - I only hope that my gourds get large enough to decorate!!! perpl

This picture is for Mary - who suggested that Jenn's picture might be trumpet vine - it wasn't... but here is a picture of my yellow trumpet vine in bloom finally. I can't seem to get a good shot, even though the sun moved off it in this one - it still came out too bright...
[Linked Image]

and, some gazania by the pond today...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bestofour Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 12th, 2005 at 07:20 AM
These pictures are so pretty. 4ruddy, what are you talking about? You're flowers are beautiful. Plants n pots, love that trumpet vine.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 12th, 2005 at 07:59 AM
Tk - forgot to answer your question about the banana peppers -

They are sweet peppers! I can't handle any of the spicey ones, and the one time I grew jalapenos for my husband and son, they were sooooooooooooooooooo spicey that even they couldn't eat them. I couldn't give them away - no one would take them, even my friends who declare that they can eat anything!
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 12th, 2005 at 10:51 AM
Lynne I'm just falling more and more in love with that hydrangea. And thanks for posting the trumpet vine pic - I love those too LOL What don't I love? I saw some in the OKC botanical garden that were jut like yours - but they were a bright yellow. Just gorgeous. I need a trumpet vine LOL
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 12th, 2005 at 06:04 PM
I may have to look into the sweet peppers. Your growing them outside right? That might be something to do next year. Hum more seeds. Even I'm beginning to realize that my wants are over running my ability to do. But it all sounds so good.
Posted By: Triss Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 12th, 2005 at 11:51 PM
You can grow the peppers indoors too and overwinter them there. I have all kinds of hots and sweets growing and will bring several into the basement for the winter and an extended crop of peppers.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 13th, 2005 at 12:14 AM
I don't know about bringing them indoors. It's getting pretty full in here and I still need to find a window planter for the herbs I like to keep over the winter. And then there is the space for starting next years flowers indoors early lol. I may need a bigger apartment. Or at least one with more windows lol.
Posted By: Triss Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 13th, 2005 at 12:38 AM
I am with you on looking for space. Fortunately we have a basement, I just have to get it well lit and go down there more than once a month.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 13th, 2005 at 06:15 PM
Oh one of our members is a whizzzz on indoor lighting. He does the most amazing things. It's expensive though. I thought about it, but once I checked out the prices I had to give it up. To bad it would have made a bunch of stuff possible.
Posted By: Stormysgrandma Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 13th, 2005 at 08:18 PM
omg, that cimifuga is absolutely gorgeous!!!! If they can grow in Indiana, I would love some seeds!!!! I will have rhody seeds to trade!

By the way, I see that you are going to Virginia Beach!! If you like great blue crab, you've got to go to a little seafood store/restaurant called The Virginia Beach Seafood Company - about 12 blocks off the beach. Its a little neighborhood place - only seats about 20 people, unless they've expanded lately. They have blue crab that's to die for!!!!! And, it's not a tourist trap - very fun, great people - they love to teach newbies how to eat blue crab!

If you can't find it, walk away from the beach a couple blocks, into the residential area and ask a local person. That's how we discovered it.

Have fun!! flw flw
Posted By: Stormysgrandma Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 13th, 2005 at 08:19 PM
omg, that cimifuga is absolutely gorgeous!!!! If they can grow in Indiana, I would love some seeds!!!! I will have rhody seeds to trade!

By the way, I see that you are going to Virginia Beach!! If you like great blue crab, you've got to go to a little seafood store/restaurant called The Virginia Beach Seafood Company - about 12 blocks off the beach. Its a little neighborhood place - only seats about 20 people, unless they've expanded lately. They have blue crab that's to die for!!!!! And, it's not a tourist trap - very fun, great people - they love to teach newbies how to eat blue crab!

If you can't find it, walk away from the beach a couple blocks, into the residential area and ask a local person. That's how we discovered it.

Have fun!! flw flw
Posted By: Stormysgrandma Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 13th, 2005 at 08:22 PM
oops, sry about the double post, I must have clicked twice - shocked
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 15th, 2005 at 07:50 AM
Not flowers, but update on my birdhouse gourds and banana peppers...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope the peppers stay firm for the week that we'll be away - they are so colorful right now!
Posted By: mike57 Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 16th, 2005 at 09:31 PM
HI all wavey heres the first bloom on my dinner plate hibiscus it just opened this morning so thought i would share it with you all.
[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0SgCz*0kVwAKbc9yFPB7SjCvCHdGCy19A9SU!ztZ6Bpo79KuFQUXZoqCPeHf4gXu*3ZIl1wpEkwb30RwkVpjdM6!Ol9BtBam9C8XOD8xs7SSISLmgy9YzjQ/Jul16%5E80.JPG?dc=4675530989519804259[/img]
your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 16th, 2005 at 09:34 PM
That's really big. And such a pretty color Mike. How many buds do you have on the plant? Is it going to just get full of those? Can you take them in for cut flower arrangements? Or do they curl up right away? You know me always a hundred questions.
Posted By: Meg Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 16th, 2005 at 09:56 PM
Lynne, that is sooo cool!!

Mike, I'm jealous. I luv hibiscus, and mine died.. I had a heck of a time with it last year. That bloom is absolutely gorgous!!

Meg
Posted By: mike57 Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 16th, 2005 at 10:11 PM
HI wavey TK they do not make good cut flowers.and i have to many buds on them to count.it gets full of blooms.and after the blooms fall off it put on seed pods so i will have lots of seeds to trade or sase for them.but you might get a diffrent color from the seeds due to bees and humminbirds and butterflys exchanging pollin from difrent plants.i am still waiting on some i planted from seed last year to see what color they will be.i will keep you all posted ok.by the way i like your canna lilly to.evryone on here that has posted photos of there flowers look great lots of diffrent kinds of plants and blooms.cant wait to see even more.keep up the flower photo posting all. heres a photo of some of my elaphant ears
[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0SgBpA00VugObc9yFPB7SjGnW!vOfdt0dFaXDgEPEGUw90HU80*OSv0qLxGUBGw6r5VOs7YhXINLP5Xhh6Yhjrb4iWoHMsqzRoTaZyGbChuGMtYFXtfoT3Q/Jul16%5E66.JPG?dc=4675530989022128901[/img]
[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0SgCz*04V!QObc9yFPB7SjABJaWbTSWVE3qk6y!hWm9!L87yVjOSNecTauhBYByiPIAonPeugx81zrLKm7v2mldVMo7XOxlRsiNWuZ2A8mYN3lMymRLhLSQ/Jul16%5E67.JPG?dc=4675530989100074604[/img]
your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 16th, 2005 at 10:17 PM
Wow Mike your hibiscus is just gorgeous. I'm getting in line now for a seed or two! wink You have such gorgeous flowers - everything looks so healthy and grows like blazes - great job! wink
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 16th, 2005 at 11:45 PM
I think they would be gorgeous in any color. I can't imagine one I wouldn't like. And if it gets as full of flowers as a regular hybiscus does of my goodness. That's going to be some picture. There will be a picture right?. The yellow canna? Yep that was a big suprise for me. I still have to get out there and tag it so I don't forget which one it is.
Posted By: Triss Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 17th, 2005 at 03:32 AM
I'd love in line for those seeds as well. Absolutely stunning. I sure hope I get something you want!
Posted By: MissJamie Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 17th, 2005 at 01:50 PM
wow beautiful pics everybody! mike may I have a few seeds when they come for the hibiscus please? they are beautiful! they had some at walmart that were 10 inches across! they were HUGE!!!
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 17th, 2005 at 02:51 PM
I guess I have kitten blooming in my garden this morning!!!! [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And I have been WONDERING WHY my morning glories arent' blooming!!!! laugh
Posted By: JV Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 17th, 2005 at 09:13 PM
Mike57 those are beautimus you sure know how to take a good photo. I have some was told they are Adkins White dinner plate just got seed this spring. If they ever bloom and seed your welcome to some seeds if you want them. My nephew got them from his wife's grAndad in Lubbock Tx. My sister says they are really huge and pure white. I would like some seeds of this one if possible.
Jimmy
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 17th, 2005 at 09:40 PM
Yep, Mike, my friend in gardening...those are VERY beautiful. My D-I-L got me a golden yellow one for Mother's day year before last...it was such a rich color...yep, I killed it dead! Actually I think the whiteflies killed it...but I helped I am sure! mad Gonna give them another shot next year though!
Your elephant ears are looking good...want any more? I go out in my yard and pull elephant ears up like most people do weeds! They just get everywhere! Pulled about 20 up yesterday...out of the squash bed, the cuc bed, the mator bed...UGH!!!! :rolleyes:
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 17th, 2005 at 09:51 PM
What a cute kitten plant. I don't think I've ever seen one of those before. I may have to look into getting some seeds lol. Thanks for the pictures.
Posted By: JV Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 17th, 2005 at 10:26 PM
Mine for today: Thia Chili Plant about 4 ft tall. Chili's grow up
[Linked Image]
Caribbean Chili Plants yet to bloom
[Linked Image]
Better Boy tomato third crop this year
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JV Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 17th, 2005 at 10:37 PM
Oregano, Catnip and Chocolate Mint and Spear Mint
[Linked Image]
Chocolate Mints and Searmints
[Linked Image]
Hydrangea pink
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JV Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 17th, 2005 at 10:44 PM
White HYdrangea
[Linked Image]
Pink Versicolor Hibiscus
[Linked Image]
Pink Braided Hibiscus
[Linked Image]
This is all I have today hope photo's not to bad.
Jimmy
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 17th, 2005 at 11:14 PM
JV - thank you! You just ID'd spearmint for me, that I had a pic of going in the mystery forum wink Your pink hydrangea is beautiful - are you training it to climb/grow like a tree, or is it a peegee? I'm getting addicted to hibiscus now - thanks to you :p laugh How big does that braided one get? I'm still trying to figure out what to line my sidewalk with - need something that likes hot full sun, is sort of a border plant - I was originally looking for some trees - but they can't be too big because that area isn't big enough.
Posted By: JV Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 17th, 2005 at 11:33 PM
MaryReboakly the versicolor only gets a couple feet tall that one is over a year old It is tropical so I have to take in the house in the winter. The braided are supposed to get about 6 ft. tall from what I was told. I have a bunch ofManhot Sweeet Yellow that duckie sent me the seeds for they are the fastest growing I have ever seen. Springhill Nurseries sent me a ad. stating they have Hardy Hibiscus that will survive the northern winters???? I don't know what zone your in but in Florida,California,South Texas,Louisiana, Ala. and Ms., Az. most Hibiscus does real well
Mike 57 is in Ala. look at his they are very pretty makes me jealous.
Jimmy
Posted By: mike57 Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 17th, 2005 at 11:42 PM
HI wavey JV thats a nice collection of plants you have there. they all look very healthy you defintly have a green thumb wavey Vanessa no do not need any more elephant ears got plenty thanks laugh i know what you mean about them spreading evry where i have given a lot away also. your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 18th, 2005 at 02:09 AM
JV....I hear those Thia Chili's are some bad boys. Not as hot as the Habanero I don't think...I haven't ever had any Thias...picked 5 habenaros yesterday. What is the extent of damage of the Caribbean chilis? I have been on a peper kick tha past couple of years.
Call me crazy, but I have NEVER seen a white hydrangea! Guess I need to get out more! It is beautiful!!!! I love the plants but am not real fond of the colors I have seen (pink & baby blues)BUT was really taken by Lynne's lacecap hydrangea...had never seen one of those as well! But I am really lovin that white one now!!!!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 18th, 2005 at 07:03 AM
I've never seen a white hydrangea either. JV, your flowers are Very pretty. We had an out of the garden vegetable dinner tonight. We don't have as many tomato plants as you, but ours are doing well.

Mike, that hisbicus is so gorgeous and big. You must have the perfect conditions.

I'd like one of those kitten plants too. Precious.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 18th, 2005 at 07:30 AM
I'd like one of those kitten plants too. Precious.
I'll be MORE than happy to send you ALL kitten plants...trust me, there is enough for everyone! Hhhmm...might be on to some Christmas presents... lala They produce better than rabbits around here! If I could just keep them out of my MULCH!!! frown
Posted By: JV Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 18th, 2005 at 09:13 AM
Mike
57 thanks for the compliment coming from someone like you that is an expert is a real big feather in my gardening bonnet. Vanessa I have neve had any ether but was told the Thai is hotter than the Habanero . According to ths chili Scoville rating form Gormet Sleuth. Habanero is between 200,000 and 300,000 Scoville units. Thai Chili is between 100,000 and 350,000 Scoville units. The Caribbean Red Scotch Bonnet I have is between 500,000 and 900,000 Scoville units. In other words it is hot as... lets just say it's hot ok.
This last was from Cardi org 4.5 Caribbean hot pepper germplazm Management online. That Caribbean should be able to cook a meal by its self without gas or any other fuel. laugh
Jimmy
Posted By: Triss Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 18th, 2005 at 10:41 PM
Love all the new pics. Jimmy, your plants are beautiful. Vanessa, I will take some kitten seeds as well wink

Everytime I see all of your pics, makes me want to go and reclaim more of my yard!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 18th, 2005 at 11:28 PM
I have my fingers crossed that the portulaca have let me get a picture this time.

[Linked Image]

And I have another picture of the canna. I didn't know it would send up a second flower stock. That's cool.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 18th, 2005 at 11:47 PM
Wow T! (yes Im still here) Those moss roses look great against the twig fence! And the canna is just gorgeous! Okay..I'm gettin back to work wink
Posted By: Fernie Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 19th, 2005 at 02:27 AM
Tammy....how gorgeous. Both the portulaca and the canna. YOu are getting good at taking pics!!!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 19th, 2005 at 08:36 AM
Tk, I put out some portulaca seeds but have had no results. It's so pretty in baskets and as an edging. Did you put out plants?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 19th, 2005 at 08:47 AM
I still got no camera.... eek eek
but am truely enjoying everyone's pictures...
Thanks for sharing them!!! kissies thumbup thumbup grinnnn
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 19th, 2005 at 05:38 PM
I grew them from seed. The portulaca that I started inside did much better than the other ones. I read that someone was successful overwintering them inside so I hope to be able to do that with some this year. That would give me a really good start on next year.

I didn't know they were a sucullent when I planted them indoors so they went in regular potting soil and got watered right along with everything else. I think that might have knocked some of them out but I did get some.
Posted By: JV Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 19th, 2005 at 06:01 PM
Tammy your flowers are beautiful. Your photo ability is progressing right along those are good shots. thumbup
Jimmy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 19th, 2005 at 08:18 PM
GREAT PICS,TK! thumbup The canna is so beautiful grinnnn
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 20th, 2005 at 08:18 AM
I love your yard G-mom. It's great.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 20th, 2005 at 07:57 PM
Thank you kissies

Heres some pics I took yesterday...

Bunches of blooms on my brugmansia
[Linked Image]

Giant 4 o'clocks and cannas
[Linked Image]

2 of my favorite zinnias
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 20th, 2005 at 08:32 PM
I don't know where to start. I love your flowers G-mom. I wish my zinnia looked something like that. I definitely think I got the lower end of the stick on those. May have to try a different seed company next year. Wal-Mart brand just was not very good at all.

That's the orange canna? It's a really tall one. I wish my eyes were better so I could enjoy the pictures even more. But I love your stuff. Thank you so much for sharing.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 20th, 2005 at 09:19 PM
Actually that canna is yellow and orange. I do have the solid orange ones though.

I'm separating all of the zinnia seeds by color,etc., so if you waould like a specific one just tell me and I'll be more than happy to send you some!

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: Triss Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 20th, 2005 at 09:51 PM
Question: Is it typical for zinnia to have the daisy type petals and the secondary yellow flowers in the middle. I have something like those growing among my marigolds and just had not gotten a chance to post them yet. Now I may know what I have.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 20th, 2005 at 10:03 PM
Well my canna are suppose to be assorted so I can't wait to see what else comes up. I can't believe the seeds are so tiny. They are the same size as the columbine seeds. I hope they were full grown lol.

Re your zinnia. I think I mentioned that all of mine were pink of one shade or another lol. The one red and orange one that I had someone picked clear down to the root so I don't have anymore of those lol.

I've keep my seed exchange list updated so if there is anything there that you want please let me know I'd be happy to trade for some different colors. Maybe if you have like one or two seeds of each color left over after you make up your packages? Just a thought. I know with my snapdragons that happened now I have a little pile of mixed yellow and red lol.

Triss isn't it cool when you get one of your flowers identified? I don't know the answer to your question, I'm sorry. I wish I did.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 21st, 2005 at 01:45 AM
OMG Gmom you would laugh at my 4'oclocks - still in a 10" pot LOL I kept putting off transplanting to the ground because I didn't know where to put them and wanted to keep them far from the roses because I read they attract japanese beetles. So, they might be rootbound, I dunno. Duh Is there a large and small kind, or are they all pretty much the same?

I bet you use miracle grow, dontcha? My SIL does, and her stuff grows a zillion times bigger than my stuff!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 21st, 2005 at 07:45 AM
That is a GIANT 4 o'clock.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 21st, 2005 at 07:09 PM
Is it typical for zinnia to have the daisy type petals and the secondary yellow flowers in the middle
YEPPERS! Sounds like ya got some zinnias thumbup

some different colors.
I'd be glad to send ya some,TK. I've got alot more colors than the ones I showed. I even have a pure white one.

Is there a large and small kind, or are they all pretty much the same?
That is a GIANT 4 o'clock.
I got these from someone that moved. The roots were giant tubers! Some of the tubers broke but I still planted them and they all grew thumbup Everyone of my 4 o'clocks are that big! I guess, if the tubers were that big, that they were "old" plants? Maybe it takes them a few years to get that big?

I bet you use miracle grow, dontcha?
Nope! I use a new product made here in Jacksonville called Naturize . It beats Miracle Gro hands down thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: Meg Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 26th, 2005 at 08:15 AM
Finally! 2 of these have bloomed!!

[Linked Image]

And when I mowed last week, I found this buried in the tall grass!
[Linked Image]

Meg
Posted By: Triss Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 26th, 2005 at 08:20 AM
Oh Meg, that glad is gorgeous! Such a rich color!
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 26th, 2005 at 08:39 AM
Ahhhhhh Meg that is GORGEOUS! I don't have any red ones...someone down the street does - think I might have to do some negotiating this fall LOL! What a great color...man, I love it! My glads are just about all gone frown I hoped they'd last longer...didn't know really what to expect though...waiting for my mums to pop - I had no idea they would bush out so much - wouldn'tve gotten quite as many if I knew laugh Hopefully I'll be back here soon posting a pic of them!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 26th, 2005 at 09:10 AM
WOW Meg, I'm impressed!
I don't like red flowers, but that is GORGEOUS!
And what a great melon - what kind is it???
Posted By: Karrie Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 26th, 2005 at 09:17 AM
OMgosh, So those are called bachelors buttons. I have wondered they are all over the streets in town here. They are one of my favorite flowers. If you get seeds I would be glad to offer something in trade if you obtain enough. The ones around here are planted in no no areas. Town has up signs that say wildflowers do not mow or pick. So I dont go there would probably get myself in trouble tryin to pocket some. lol
Posted By: Triss Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 26th, 2005 at 09:20 AM
I may have enough of those for a packet already. I can take a look and get some to you if no one else has any.
Posted By: Meg Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 26th, 2005 at 08:39 PM
Lynne, the melon is one of my canteloupes.. I found about 4 of them so far..

Karrie, I don't know if I will get to collect any of the bachelor button seeds.. they were in a mix of wildflowers, and I may end up getting you mixed seeds, not just bachelor buttons.. but if you want that, I could try & get you some. I have a lot that are dried up now. Let me know..

Meg
Posted By: Meg Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 26th, 2005 at 08:41 PM
Mary, one of my mums has been starting to bloom for a couple weeks now.. it's the orange/rust colored ones. I also have a white, and a burgundy.. they are just getting bushier by the day! No flowers... yet!

Meg
Posted By: mike57 Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 27th, 2005 at 08:30 AM
wavey HI ALL heres a photo of my pink dinner plate hibiscus blooming a lot more now. I wake up every morning.to a new show of flowers
from this one plant it still has Hundreds of bloom yet to open.
[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0SgAUA1oV4wQ1tFZfBdCMxnnNXRj03Uf4OcQKsAPhiAT2mc799dtHTgjSfMxpcubvawa9RwTsm9mq5h2dT31vWIZj7U3vjjeMoFSNdIuHFnrlgeiQ1TPY*w/Jul26%5E91.JPG?dc=4675532423614134309[/img]
just thought i would share this beautiful blooming hibiscus with you all. wavey MEG thats a very pretty bright red gladiola and a nice looking cantaloupe melon you have there to.your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw
Posted By: Bestofour Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 27th, 2005 at 09:27 AM
Mike, such a beautiful plant. Meg, that glad is beautiful too. I've always wondered what people do with all their melons. It's not like beans or tomatoes that you can freeze or can.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: BLOOMING HEAVEN Part IV - July 27th, 2005 at 11:27 AM
Meg, I have some of the orangey rust colored ones peeking out too...mostly underneath the bushiness LOL! I'm anxiously awaiting them all to pop out any day now...I hope? wink

Mike! Mike! Mike!!! Ahhhh yet more beautiful flowers from your garden. I'm thinking hibiscus is coming in at a close second to my hollyhock obsession! No thanks to you! :p laugh wink
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]