A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: JV Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 05:34 AM
My golden wind Hibiscuc is Blooming for first time this year [Linked Image] My new Hibiscus
tree Blooming [Linked Image] Havent even got this in the ground yet. laugh
Posted By: pcgrav Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 06:12 AM
DANDELIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CLOVER!!!!!!!!!!!

And Stella d'oros
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 12:48 PM
Columbine and snapdragons. And although that isn't a lot. For me, it is great because these aren't the blooms that were on them when I bought them but new ones. So for the first time my plants are growing. And the difference is that I found you all to guide me through the gardening process.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 01:23 PM
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

grinnnn
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 01:52 PM
I love your tree face. Did you get that at collections?

The last two flowers, what are they?

Your flowers are really really pretty.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 02:08 PM
Thank you!
Last two are iris and peony.
I leaned out my front door and snapped a picture of the iris, but here's a better one...
[Linked Image]

and.....
[Linked Image]

My cousin gave me the tree face for Christmas. Someone had given it to her for Christmas, and she knew I'd steal it, so she just went ahead and wrapped it back up and gave it to me to keep me honest!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 02:18 PM
Awesome Iris,Cindy thumbup I love the colors! I've got the Burgundy and Dark Blue ones.

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 02:27 PM
G-Mom...Did you send me the iris in the second photo down? Duh
Somebody did!

Bestofour sent me the ones in the third photo.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 02:35 PM
No I didn't...but I wish I did! That would mean I had some of them thumbup

Here's a pic of my blue ones...
[Linked Image]

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 02:45 PM
Check out the size of my roses!

[Linked Image]

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 02:45 PM
Self disapline exercise #2: I will not buy any more flowers this month, I will not buy any more flowers until the master card is paid off. OOOOOOOOh this is hard. And boy are they pretty. Tell me they need lots of water so I will be disuaded(sp). I have got to get a dictionary my spelling has become embarrassing.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 02:50 PM
G-Mom! Those are awesome!

hooper....I teach a class on Tuesday and Thursday on how to juggle credit cards. It's called "Creative Balance Transfers". Too bad you don't live near me! laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 02:59 PM
how to juggle credit cards
You want to know what's BAD! Taking a cash advance against one credit card to make the payment on the other 2 grinnnn
Posted By: Meg Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 03:28 PM
Been there, done that g-mom! frown Hated it!

Hmm.. I'm still waiting for bulbs to come up that I planted not that long ago..lol. (I was a little late in getting them in the ground, by a couple weeks.) I am thinking, some are not going to come up this year, or if they do, they not gonna bloom. ters

Veggies are growing tho! Got lots of green bean & cucumber plants starting. And corn is starting to pop up thru the soil in spots now too. Hey, I got some teeny tiny ruffly lettuce leaves, less than an 1" in size..lol.

Meg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 03:32 PM
I cooked the first pot of my home grown green beans last week thumbup They were so yummy there were NO leftovers! I checked yeaterday and have enough for another pot. Yum,Yum thumbup

I've also got some baby cukes,baby tomatoes and baby peppers(red,yellow and green) Can't wait to pick them!

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: Fernie Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 03:48 PM
we are suppose to get a bit of sun today before the next wave of rain hits. I hope to get out and see if I have anything besides tulips blooming. I used to have ranunculus but the mice/gopher/mole/vole/stinkingrodent ate them all off. And a mouse got my heirloom tomato.

This is war!!!! mad mad
Posted By: phoenix Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 04:00 PM
wavey mernin all Duh i had 4 last year. the birds must have "distibuted" seeds for me grinnnn i have 2 small coral bells that have stayed green even over the winter. my tall plox and dwarf day lillies are doing ok. 1/2 growing the others not too sure they will make it.these are the ones i orderd thru springhill nurseries. i may have to send them back eek
johnny jump ups are a jumpin wink my mints, rosemary,dill cilantro,parsley, basil, and sage are battling the squirrels that keep digging in thier containers,but are doing very well despite the re-planting on a daily basis.(squirels keep digging them up mad ) gerbera,sedum,pansys ( laugh ha ha ha)lavender oregano mullein fushia are all doing well and the "roll out garden" my mom in law gave me (from qvc) is finally producing 6-8 tiny seedlings. that stuff isn't that great but we will see in the next month or so if it's worth useing. clematis buds are about to explode into purple flowers.i think my climbing spinach was eaten.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 08:00 PM
Wow G-mom that rose is fantastic.
Posted By: Fernie Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 17th, 2005 at 11:30 PM
These aren't blooming yet but here is a bit of a look at my gardens....

[Linked Image] one of my 4 astilbes

[Linked Image] my hollyhock

[Linked Image] this is my satsuki azalea outdoor bonsai

and....

[Linked Image] my coleus canina which is supposed to make bunnies stay out of the flowers.

hope this works..... Duh
Posted By: phoenix Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 19th, 2005 at 09:56 PM
i have some new additions to add to me previous list of things growing. when i got home from work on tuesday there was yet another box from spring hill nurseries (they are going to cause me to go bankrupt laugh ) full of carnation plants (36 in all)
all different colors and types grinnnn grinnnn so i have them in containers and some in the ground. some had flower stalks on them already. i hope these fair better than my tall phlox. out of 8 plants i only have 4 that have started to grow nicely. the others i don't think they are going to make it. i'll have to call thier customer sevice line mad
Posted By: Katb Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 19th, 2005 at 10:35 PM
Lets see I have oldfashion bleedinghearts I have the pink & also the white I have bearded iris & dutch iris, aluim , fernleaf bleedingheart pink, red, & white some of my favorites johny jumpup,s daylily, sweetwilliams, geriums, gazinnas, rose impations & regular, petunas, & a few others I cant think of at the moment. kit
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 19th, 2005 at 11:42 PM
I didn't care for spring hill nursery. I bought 78.00 dollars worth of stuff and the only thing that grew was the multiple variety pear tree. They were go about replacing the stuff except for one thing. What they replaced it with didn't grow either.
Posted By: phoenix Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 19th, 2005 at 11:49 PM
COME ON, REALLY!!!?? shk I SPENT OVER $100.00 I HOPE THEY REPLACE THEM WITH STUFF THAT WILL GROW. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD STOP BUYING FROM THEM?
THE ONLY REASON I BOUGHT FROM THEM WAS THEY HAD RELLY GOOD DEALS. LIKE...3-4 DIFFERENT VARIETIES OF THE SAME TYPE OF PLANT PLUS A BONUS 3 FOR $19.99 AND SO ON
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 20th, 2005 at 01:47 AM
[Linked Image]

Finally!
My white and pink ones have been blooming for over a week.
This is finally opening today! grinnnn
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 20th, 2005 at 01:55 AM
OMG...That is GORGEOUS! thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 20th, 2005 at 02:19 AM
I'm sorry Phoenix but that was my experience with them. Maybe you could post a question about them and see how other people have done that use them. I will certainly take some of the blame for being a new gardener and making some mistakes but I know I won't buy anything from them ever again.
Posted By: Katb Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 20th, 2005 at 02:17 PM
I order from Jung I,ve had very good luck with them & Henery Feilds & for Daylilys, & Iris,s Gilbertwild & son their a great company. kit
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 20th, 2005 at 03:13 PM
WOWEE!!!

Gorgeous picture of a gorgeous flower, Cindy!!!
Posted By: pcgrav Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 21st, 2005 at 01:06 AM
Just reading and thought I would share-- I bought some Irish moss from them and set it out-- it all died but they replaced it and it is doing quite well. I personally prefer to buy from Michigan bulb though-- they have pretty much the same stuff but they are cheaper on most of it. I found out that the two are sister-companies... MB has the same replacement policy as Springhill. Lifetime... So far everything I have purchased from both of them is doing quite well. I have discovered though that some of the things ( like the bare root stuff) will do much better if you start it out in a pot of some kind and when it starts to grow and put on greenery then set it out. Just my personal experience... By the way-- my roses came from MB an three of them have bloomes or are blooming already. My American Beauty rose has a beautiful bloom on it...
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 21st, 2005 at 01:46 AM
Hey Tricia I love your button. That really pretty.

I'm glad that you have good luck with Spring Hill. Being a black thumb I'm more than willing to take most of the blame. Thats why I am trying to stick with easy grow plants to begin with.

And a few that I just can't resist lol. How has your day gone? Recovering from the dreaded Dentist?
Posted By: pcgrav Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 21st, 2005 at 01:52 AM
Well to keep from being repetitive refer to coffeehouse for a recount of my day and I didn't go to the dentist...??? Duh
But thankyouI really like my button-- Mr.Bill did a fantastic job once I got him the picture smile smile Wow it's great to be back!!!
Posted By: Meg Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 21st, 2005 at 03:40 AM
RE- spring hill, michigan bulb, brecks.. all owned by gardens alive. (No wonder my member number was the same at brecks as it was at garden's alive!) laugh hmm.. someone posted a link, and I saved it..

Here it is.. the direct link to what is owned by Garden\'s Alive.

Meg
Posted By: pcgrav Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 21st, 2005 at 07:47 PM
"Ally's Flower" she potted and waters all by herself--with a little help from mom:
[Linked Image]
MY American Beauty I just planted:
[Linked Image]
My yarrow:
[Linked Image]
My other rose; I have it planted in a pot because I am still waiting on "someone" who promised to build me a planter for it!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Meg Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 22nd, 2005 at 01:06 AM
grinnnn
Posted By: pcgrav Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 22nd, 2005 at 01:20 AM
O.K.--so I'm jealous-- but those are really great looking flowers thumbup
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 22nd, 2005 at 01:41 AM
Hi Meg,

That interesting that Garden Alive owns all of those companies. It kind of reminds me of the Denny's down here. We have one close by that has great food and great service, and then there is the other one. Which most of us avoid like the plague. The looser the organization the more room for divergence. I remember with the Spring Hills pear tree I bought that it came in a bubble envelope and the tip was broken as a result. While the bulbs I got from Brecks were carefully packaged in preformed stryoform molds that even left space for the stems to begin growth on the trip and then that was packaged inside sturdy cardboard. I guess it's like the saying "your company is only as good as your employees".
Posted By: Fernie Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 22nd, 2005 at 01:59 AM
The only place I have ordered from is Gurney's. So far so good. Everything else I got locally from nurserys or friends.

Here are a few of my pretties....(Tammy did you know you were creating a monster???)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and just about to bloom....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 22nd, 2005 at 02:11 AM
Nah, my daughters not that bad...anyway shes full grow'ed hehehehehehe.

Sorry I couldn't resist. Happens to me sometimes.

I need details here how am I creating a monster. I'm such an innocent young thing.

I know there is a rasberry comming from someone on that line.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 22nd, 2005 at 02:13 AM
PICTURES, PICTURES!!!!!!

I'm such a confused . How did I miss it? I know how I missed it. Your pictures are so good. Very nice job. I want to see bunches and bunches more. Every blade of grass. The family, you, your neighbors, everything. Woohoo congrats. Isn't it great?
Posted By: Fernie Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 22nd, 2005 at 02:48 AM
laugh laugh

[Linked Image]

and how about a small tour around the place...

[Linked Image]

That is my back patio. My house is an old victorian farmhouse. I have a porch off my bedroom I call my serenity room. I don't have a good picture of it. [Linked Image]

And the front door....

[Linked Image]

part of the front sun bed [Linked Image]

and the back shade bed

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 22nd, 2005 at 03:03 AM
I love the planter that looks like a grecian urn how fantastic. Nice nice pictures. Can I come visit? I cook.

But where's the peoples????
Posted By: Fernie Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 22nd, 2005 at 03:28 AM
I haven't taken any people pictures! laugh But here are a few of our "buddies"

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh

ok here are some real buddies......

[Linked Image]

This is Vegas and Jody. Vegas just puts her ears back, she really isn't mad.

[img] ttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/FernieW/My%20Garden/Animal%20Friends/Vegasisntreallymad.jpg [/img]

and this is our sweet mutt George ...

[Linked Image]

and my border collie, Tuck (she tries to herd horses poor thing)

[img] ttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/FernieW/My%20Garden/Animal%20Friends/Tuck.jpg [/img]

and last but certainly not least....the more standoffish couple Lady with Zeb in the back...

[Linked Image]

the cats won't let me take their picture.
Posted By: Fernie Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 22nd, 2005 at 03:40 AM
hmmmm did I put too many laughing graemlins in?

lady and zeb [Linked Image]

Tuck

[Linked Image]

pretend buddy

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fernie Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 22nd, 2005 at 04:12 AM
hmmmmmm some more.....wondering what I did wrong now????

George?

[Linked Image]

Vegas not being mad?

[Linked Image]

and where oh where is sweet Lady with Zeb in the background???

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Whats Blooming in your Yard - May 22nd, 2005 at 12:55 PM
Compost of the hoof you lucky thing you!

Great pictures. About the posting if you look at the URL line you will notice on the ones that didn't work that the "h" in "http" is missing. Easy fix.

Gee I almost sound like I know what i'm going lol.

Going to have to go up to plants and flowers and ask a question about peonies.

Keep those pictures comming they are great.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]