A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Anonymous Just wondering... - August 19th, 2005 at 11:04 PM
The other day I had a pair of birds on my clothesline that I've never noticed around here before...and I've lived on this street practically my entire life....

They flew away before I could get pictures of them, but they were really bright yellow...almost florescent in color....with I believe a little black or white on them....can't remember if it was black or white, but it wasn't much--they were mostly yellow...and not much bigger than a sparrow.....

Any ideas as to what bright yellow birds could've been around this area? Duh Sorry I don't have better info, or a pic....
Posted By: Gardencrazy Re: Just wondering... - August 20th, 2005 at 01:11 AM
My guess would be American Goldfinch. They are neat little birds.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: Just wondering... - August 20th, 2005 at 01:29 AM
Hi Loz. I have those around here too. Apparently they like eating the seeds off of thistles and my neighbor has a whole horse pasture full of them. I managed to snap a shot of a far away one so it's not very clear at all. It does show the colouring though. If this is what you saw, then it is an American Goldfinch, also known as a Wild Canary. They are quite striking though, aren't they.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Just wondering... - August 20th, 2005 at 01:34 AM
I do believe that the bird in your picture is what I had in my yard....how cool....they were pretty little things too, I wish they'd come back....Like I said I've never noticed them around here before....

Thanks to both of you for helping me out!
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: Just wondering... - August 20th, 2005 at 01:45 AM
Loz, here's a link you can go to and listen to their song. (Thanks to Thornius for sending me to this site!) Then next time you hear one, maybe you'll be able to get another peek. I hear them before I see them now so I head out and almost always find them. Just wish I could get a decent picture though. I really need a zoom lens. (something for my Christmas wish list. lol)

American Goldfinch
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Just wondering... - August 20th, 2005 at 01:48 AM
Thanks SuzyQ, I'm heading there to check the site out now....
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Just wondering... - August 20th, 2005 at 04:31 AM
Loz - American Goldfinches stick around all year round. In the fall they start to lose their bright yellow coloring and turn a brownish, sometimes olive green color instead. That's why people sometimes think they are only here during the warmer months. They start to get their brighter yellow feathers once again in spring. The new babies start out brown and then the males will turn yellow slowly - the females stay brownish.

They have a very distinctive call, and once you learn to recognize it, you will always know when they are around.

I love them! I try to keep a thistle feeder out for them all the time. They also really like the seeds from purple coneflowers, so if you are growing those you might want to leave the flower heads on them at the end of the season so they have some food as it gets colder outside.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: Just wondering... - August 20th, 2005 at 04:41 AM
Plants 'n Pots, what a great idea! I never heard of a thistle feeder before. Now I need to put one up. grinnnn We had so many of those little birds around this summer but I haven't seen any for the last week or so. I don't know if they stay all winter where I am, but I'll put out a feeder just in case. Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: Triss Re: Just wondering... - August 20th, 2005 at 05:30 AM
Beautiful bird. Hope it comes back for you! and you can get them to stick around for a while!
Posted By: BFVISION Re: Just wondering... - August 20th, 2005 at 08:53 AM
Plants and Pots,
You are right on with the purple cone flower comment. I have these beauties all year round and thats where you find them in the late summer and thru the winter. They are unique with their song. I have a few dried up cones now and they are already being dined upon.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Just wondering... - August 20th, 2005 at 09:40 AM
Oooo, Lynne...a thistle feeder.....I never thought of that before either.....I don't know a lot of specifics about many birds, but I love watching them, and if I don't put out their food for them they get mad...LOL

I really hope that the Goldfinches come back....I was so excited when I noticed them on the clothesline......they only sat there for about 15 seconds and then took off.....If I did my reading correctly don't they nest in the late summer? Or am I remembering my info wrong.....
Posted By: Thornius Re: Just wondering... - August 20th, 2005 at 10:52 AM
American Goldfinches make a distinctive. "Po-ta-to Chip" call especially as they are flying. Their song is long, complicated, and beautiful.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Just wondering... - August 20th, 2005 at 11:01 AM
loz,

Here is a picture of 2 American Goldfinches on My thistle feeder in my front yard. If you will plant sunflowers the American Goldfinches will come and eat the seeds out of the heads when the seeds go to bloom. Sunflower seeds are their second favorite food after thistle seeds. I bought my thistle feeder, full of seeds, at Walmart for about $3.50.

American Goldfinch Male and Female
[Linked Image]
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]