A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Meg It's a butterfly!! - August 10th, 2005 at 06:11 AM
Ok, took lots of photos.. these were the best I got. One I got, just as it was almost out of the crysalis..
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

3 more to follow..
Posted By: Meg Re: It's a butterfly!! - August 10th, 2005 at 06:12 AM
Just as it was finally ready to be set free..
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Alex's hand was sitting next to it.. you can see it wasn't too small..
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: It's a butterfly!! - August 10th, 2005 at 08:04 AM
Ohhhh wow Meg - how beautiful! and what a great experience for your kids! Just beautiful...isn't it fascinating to SEE nature work? smile
Posted By: Meg Re: It's a butterfly!! - August 10th, 2005 at 09:02 AM
It was so neat, seeing it emerge, and actually getting a photo of it! I actually had about 3 or 4 shots, but I wasn't steady with the camera, and ended up being too blurry to see it, except in the last one. At least it shows the head is still not fully out. It was several hours before it finally started to move it's wings like it wanted to fly. It just hung there for a good long while. It turned out to be a really pretty butterfly. grinnnn

Meg
Posted By: Triss Re: It's a butterfly!! - August 10th, 2005 at 09:07 AM
Gorgeous. Took me a while to get here to look at that but it was well worth the wait.

Is it a monarch? I don't really know butterflies all that well.

Sure is a pretty one! Glad you did not miss its reawakening!
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: It's a butterfly!! - August 10th, 2005 at 09:56 AM
Definitely not a butterfly expert, but monarchs are the NYS butterfly so I know I've seen them before laugh I think they have white markings on the tips of their wings...kinda like polka dots almost- at least all those I've seen have had them - but I don't know if it's a 'requirement' laugh
Posted By: MissJamie Re: It's a butterfly!! - August 10th, 2005 at 09:57 AM
wow that is soooo kewl! thanks for sharing it with us! great pics too that is a BEAUTIFUL flutterby!
Posted By: Triss Re: It's a butterfly!! - August 10th, 2005 at 10:02 AM
Hey Miss Jamie... I sent you a thank you in the other thread. I also dropped something in the mail for you today, so be on the lookout!
Posted By: Meg Re: It's a butterfly!! - August 10th, 2005 at 10:05 AM
Nope, not a monarch.. this is a monarch (I borrowed this photo, uploaded to my photobucket, but it's NOT mine!)
[Linked Image]

This is the pic I took today of our variegated fritillary..
[Linked Image]

See the difference in color & markings? wink

Meg
Posted By: Triss Re: It's a butterfly!! - August 10th, 2005 at 10:09 AM
Yep. Seeing the actual monarch, I know the other isn't. Haven't seen one of those in a while, I guess.
Posted By: Bestofour Re: It's a butterfly!! - August 30th, 2005 at 06:53 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Thornius Re: It's a butterfly!! - August 30th, 2005 at 12:10 PM
I got some pictures of one of those!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]