A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Merme Sweet Dreams? - December 13th, 2005 at 12:17 AM
Because I've been doing so much daydreaming on the topic of my bedding in recent months, now I am all NOSY about something...

Anybody care to share what their favorite color combinations are for a bed, whether or not it is what you currently have?

What does your "dream bed" look like?

Merme
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 13th, 2005 at 12:49 AM
What does your "dream bed" look like?
It's got a hunk in it that's about 6'3" and he's kinda dirty blonde and he looks about
21 and he's cuter than all get out....
and that Duh errrrrr, lala Ummmmm,
I got a little confused there...
That's my husband in there... shocked wink laugh

What was the question??? shocked
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 13th, 2005 at 12:53 AM
I really love sage green and cream...that's what I have now and that's my favorite. I fold the top part of my down blanket that's trimmed in satin over top of my down comforter that's in cream.

BUT, a few years ago I found a comforter set that I just had to have, it spoke to me and I would've done anything to get it.....It's a velvet burnout comforter in dark browns and black trim....It's beautiful. I usually put it on in the winter.

I would love to have a light oak bed....Our bed now doesn't have a headboard or footboard...And I'm okay not having a footboard because I'm so tall that usually they get in the way.....But a nice headboard would be good. thumbup

I'm really funny about bedding...I never used to care but as I've gotten older I'm pickier and pickier about it. And I like a lot of pillows on top of the bed!! Mark hates it because everynight we have to pull them all off, but I think it looks so nice....
Posted By: Merme Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 13th, 2005 at 01:07 AM
loz, the sage and cream combination sounds lovely.

What do you put on for sheets when you use the winter one in browns with black? Does it darken your entire room at all? And what kind of pillow treatments do you like on your mountain of pillows?

Merme
Posted By: Fernie Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 13th, 2005 at 01:09 AM
I sleep in my dream bed right now. It is a big (queen size) brass bed with soft sage green sheets (If I am not using the fleece or flannel sheets, I have 400 tc sheets...really soft and for some reason all sage green) I have a down comforter on now and my coverlet is a gorgeous green, rust, beige and coral log cabin quilt. My girls always love hanging out on mom's bed because it looks so plush. I have a ton of pillows on my bed too Loz and Chris doens't like it any better than your Mark! grinnnn
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 13th, 2005 at 01:12 AM
Well...In the winter when I have the velvet burnout comforter on I usually use black sheets, sometimes hunter green if the black ones are being washed.....I put the velvet bedskirt on too....it doesn't darken the room too much I don't think, because the rest of the room is so light.....our furniture and walls are light in color so that helps. thumbup

My pillows are a moutain of sage/cream but I don't have them on right now because I'm washing the pillowcases......I change and wash my bedding more than some people change their undies... laugh

I'll take a pic of the burnout comforter and post it here......let me go grab the camera. BRB.
Posted By: Merme Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 13th, 2005 at 01:14 AM
Fernie ~ I just bet that IS a dream bed...

queen size brass, you must have a large room?

The whole thing sounds entirely beautiful.

Merme
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 13th, 2005 at 01:50 AM
Okay, here's my burnout comforter....I just love it....

[Linked Image]

And here's the normal winter bedding...I have green flannel sheets, electric blanket, green down blanket, and cream down comforter...oh yeh, and all of this is piled ontop of my featherbed.... thumbup The case on that green bodypillow is not really that dark of a color either, plus it looks sort of funny--it's sueded though where it's been touched has brushed it a darker color....and just imagine a mountain of pillows in front...good for reading...I watch a lot of TV in bed, and that's where I play my playstation.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fernie Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 13th, 2005 at 01:50 AM
Yes my bedroom is rather large and I tend to make it into a sanctuary for me and my hubby. He spends more time in there than I do (because he can lay in bed and watch tv) but I have it looking more how I like it....all the pillows mostly. I have ivory eyelet shams that match the ivory eyelet bed skirt and 2 shams that match the log cabin quilt and 2 pillows that my m-i-l knitted. One used to be my son Branden's and the other she made for me. My granddaughter is taking after her mom, she loves granny's bed.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 13th, 2005 at 02:05 AM
girls always love hanging out on mom's bed because it looks so plush
The plusher the better....more feathery=softer and warmer..... thumbup

Oh BTW, mines a split queen bed... grinnnn
Posted By: Merme Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 13th, 2005 at 02:05 AM
loz ~ did you ever notice that the darker, brown/black comfortor has the exact same upper tones as the beige one? And, it doesn't impact the wall color any differenly?

Because you posted the pictures one under the other, it is easier to make the comparison than if we were standing in the room just watching you change between the two. If you hadn't already noticed that similarity, scroll back and forth between the two photos to see what I mean...

And oh man, that does look so comfy and pretty!

Fernie ~ I like the fact that you make your room a real sanctuary... that's my ethic for my bedroom as well, although perhaps I do it in a more extreme degree than most people would.

I love eyelet just about anyplace one might be inspired to put it!

Merme
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 01:14 AM
No I didn't notice that before Merme...

Can anyone guess which side of the bed is mine????? laugh wink laugh

*Note, I hate the wood paneling...BUT I hate drywall dust even more* :p
Posted By: Merme Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 01:19 AM
loz, I can't see the details of what is on the nightstand with the lamp, but is that your side of the bed? Where everything is within handy reach?

Merme
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 01:23 AM
laugh Yep, there are books crammed into the stand....remote control(of course I have it laugh )...chapstick, water, control for my side of the electric blanket.......

The books are the dead giveaway though, thankfully you guys can't see the floor next to my bed...there's about 20 magazines and about 15 more books down there.... laugh
Posted By: Fernie Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 01:46 AM
Loz, I put a cloth over my nightstand to hide all the books. It looks nice all the time but if anyone lifts that cloth....whoooboy it is a mess under there.
Posted By: phoenix Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:20 AM
Tons and tons of big fluffy pillows and blankets.

Come to think of it Weezies idea sound great too
Posted By: Triss Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:21 AM
Loz, that burnout comforter is gorgeous.

As for me, I do not have my dream bed now, the mattress yes, but not the bed. My mattress is a queen and the softest they make. I'd love a king, but right now the room is too small for that.

I want a pine and wrought iron bed with thick posts and very intricate ironwork at the head and foot boards. I want it to be kind of a 4 poster bed but with panels of a sort on the corners with the ironwork going up tot he top and across to create a type of canopy. I would then hang fall colored sheer fabric from the top and down the sides to creat a self contained space.

Oh I can so see it, but have yet to actually find the right bed.
Posted By: Merme Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:29 AM
Oh Triss ~ your dream bed sounds loverly!

Phoenix ~ *insert chuckling finger waving graemlin here*

Merme
Posted By: phoenix Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:30 AM
Phoenix ~ *insert chuckling finger waving graemlin here
wink laugh
Posted By: Merme Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:31 AM
Ok so Phoenix, I get the idea of the lots 'n lots of pillows and fluffy blankies... but what COLORS and fabrics do you dream of?

Merme
Posted By: phoenix Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:35 AM
Well right now I have flannel,but I prefer egyptian cotton over anything. (highest thread count possible ofcourse)
For colors,right now we have a pretty floral and cream and beige striped sheets with a off white/cream king size comforter (which is way too big for a full size bed!!!)

My drem colors though are purple,sage and maroon. (with a hint of cream)
Posted By: Fernie Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:35 AM
Phoenix, I can see you in a sultan type bed, with tons of satin pillows, draperies and jewel-like colors (emerald green, sapphire blue, ruby red, golden topaz). I wonder why that hit me so fast??? Duh
Posted By: phoenix Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:36 AM
You must be able to sense that in a past life I was egyptian royalty wink laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: phoenix Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:38 AM
(emerald green, sapphire blue, ruby red, golden topaz).
I know what I'm asking santa for x-mas this year now... Thanks Fernie kissies
Posted By: Fernie Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:44 AM
laugh laugh laugh

You're more than welcome Phoenix!!
Posted By: phoenix Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:44 AM
This is what it use to look like then I recieved 6 grandma pillows from Martha Stewart,and changed the comforter and sheets
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fernie Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:45 AM
Triss!!! I have seen a bed like you are imagining! It was on a web site. I will get the addy when I find it.....um this may take awhile....months?????????
Posted By: phoenix Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:46 AM
The bed is a cherry wood.
I have a box spring and 2 mattresses. I like a real high bed. It's good for Jeff but I need a footstool to get in the darn thing.
Posted By: Fernie Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:48 AM
Phoenix...I like the red comforter...a lot. What kind of blossom is that? Or is it a blossom???????????
Posted By: phoenix Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:48 AM
That does sound lovely Triss. I really like those style beds too
Posted By: phoenix Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:49 AM
No Fernie it's not a blossom it's like a ...um...what do you call those darn things??...A fluer desomething or other. I think
Posted By: phoenix Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:53 AM
I think I'm going to switch back to the red one due to the fact that the cream one is WAY too big and heavy. It interupts my sleep because it moves so much when we are sleeping. Or maybe (cause i like the look of the cream one) just put the red one under it for sleeping and the cream one can be for asthetic purposes. YUP YUP that's what I'm a gonna do
Posted By: Fernie Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 02:59 AM
Good idea Phoenix....use cream for looks, red for sleeping. fleur d'les...li... (or something like that)? wink
Posted By: phoenix Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 03:03 AM
Yes something like those. I did it. Red for sleeping and cream for looks. I now have a 5&1/2 feet tall bed!!!
Posted By: phoenix Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 03:04 AM
Very plush. Isis loves it
Posted By: Merme Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 03:18 AM
Fleur de lys, me thinks.

Phoenix ~ did you know that antique beds were always built high like that to raise them well above the level of the cold air swirling around on the floor in the days before central heating?

They always came with mini stairsteps to place nearby. That was also the reason for the heavy canopy draperies... to insulate against the cold air when the fireside would burn low through the night.

I am very fond of high beds.

Do you know anyone who sews well? Your king size comfortor could be cut down smaller to fit...

Merme
Posted By: Triss Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 03:29 AM
I'd love you forever if you could find my bed Fernie. I have seen all kinds of wrought iron and pine but never exactly what I want. Figured i would have to have it made.
Posted By: phoenix Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 03:30 AM
OH my goodness I know how to sew!! I didn't even think of that. What a great Idea,thanks Merme kissies
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sweet Dreams? - December 14th, 2005 at 08:13 AM
I now have a 5&1/2 feet tall bed!!!
laugh laugh laugh thumbup laugh laugh laugh
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]