A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: blooming idiot aka moutain laurel new member - July 3rd, 2005 at 10:24 PM
i was browsing this am and ran across the term "french gardening" which somehow has eluded me all of these years. any input from anyone? how does that differ from any other style or what makes it unique, etc?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new member - July 4th, 2005 at 12:07 AM
[Linked Image]

I'm glad you found us! Sorry can't answer your question,but,I'm sure someone will be along who can thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: Anonymous Re: new member - July 4th, 2005 at 12:10 AM
Hmmm, I've never heard of that myself, but I bet someone has...but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum!!!!

laura
Posted By: princessazlea Re: new member - July 4th, 2005 at 12:15 AM
Hi Welcome to the forum
Nice to meet you.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: blooming idiot aka moutain laurel Re: new member - July 4th, 2005 at 12:33 AM
thanks for all the welcome messages!
Posted By: jmacd Re: new member - July 9th, 2005 at 02:57 AM
Where do you all get those cute animated welcome messages?
jmacd flw
Posted By: princessazlea Re: new member - July 9th, 2005 at 06:43 PM
Hi jmacd
Heres 3 for you to look at.
www.animation-station.com
www.gifanimations.com wavey
www.feebleminds-gif.com
Posted By: Merme Re: new member - July 12th, 2005 at 07:53 AM
Hey Blooming! wavey

flw flw ARE YOU MY BIG SISTER? flw flw

If you is, well, we're all in twoble now! laugh

If you isn't, well, a thousand pardons! shocked

Merme
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: new member - July 12th, 2005 at 08:55 AM
Hey...I thought I was the only blooming idiot here!
wavey

Cindy
Posted By: duckie Re: new member - July 12th, 2005 at 09:14 AM
wavey Welcome mountain laurel(so lovely)

I refuse to say (bloomin' idiot),'til you got it coming to ya.

grinnnn very nice to meet you.
Posted By: Triss Re: new member - July 12th, 2005 at 09:16 AM
Hi BI/ML and welcome!
Posted By: Canhosta Re: new member - July 12th, 2005 at 09:19 AM
Would like to jump in and say hello, from Eastern Canada...I have just reacently taken an interest in planting several types of Hosta's. I was just about to plant a "Sums and Substance". I have a large Maple tree in my back yard, would you think it would be ok to plant this hosta under the tree. Thks
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: new member - July 12th, 2005 at 09:45 AM
wavey Welcome from the foothills of the Rockies too....not that I can help you with your question- but someone will know here I am sure!
Nana
Posted By: Roz Re: new member - July 12th, 2005 at 11:41 AM
hi to all new here if you cant tell and I am a novice gardener injoying every bit of it. i was born and raised in South Africa so gardening in the USA is all new to me. Hope someone can help me with this question i am looking for and srub that will look nice all year round I would like to place it in a brick rased bed it is a bout two yards long and one yard wide can someone help me with this oh and by the way it cant get to big don't mind having to cut it back thanks me
Posted By: papito Re: new member - July 13th, 2005 at 02:16 AM
To B.I. Mountain Laurel,

The way I understand it, "French Gardening" is a term used to describe a method of gardening which relies on close planting in wide, mounded beds to conserve soil moisture and thereby promote steady, abundant growth.

You can do it with either cool season or warm season vegetables.

For example:

Cool season vegetables:
Strawberries, sorrel, coriander, beets, scallions,carrots, chard, dill and basil.

Warm season vegetables:
Carrots, spinach, oriental greens, radishes,parsley,chives, scallions, broccoli, letttuce, and mustard.

Not all vegetables lend themselves to this method, therefore, Choose vegetables that you can thin out regularly.

A raised bed of 4-5 ft. wide by 12-15 ft. long will be ideal for this method. Also, position the bed[s], north to south, so that the plants gets the maximum exposure as the sun moves from east to west.

Info from my gardening library of Sunset, Ortho, other books or MG manual.
Posted By: blooming idiot aka moutain laurel Re: new member - July 14th, 2005 at 06:37 AM
wow!!!!! so many replies! thanks everyone!
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: new member - July 14th, 2005 at 07:50 PM
Welcome to the forum, BI/ML! Now...will you give us the scoop on Merme? Is she really as sweet in person as she seems to be on the forum? laugh I bet you are the same way, too!

Dianna
Posted By: blooming idiot aka moutain laurel Re: new member - July 15th, 2005 at 06:11 AM
..."sisters, never were there such devoted sisters".... dev
Posted By: Merme Re: new member - July 15th, 2005 at 07:33 AM
shocked shocked shocked Aw, shucks, Blooming!

I remember that song from White Christmas,too! You are too funny!

laugh laugh laugh

Merme
Posted By: blooming idiot aka moutain laurel Re: new member - July 16th, 2005 at 05:11 AM
yep..i think those "sweet" genes just passed right on by me, and got DUMPED angell on merme!
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: new member - July 16th, 2005 at 05:16 AM
Merme IS an angel, but I think you might be sporting a halo yourself!

__0__
BI/ML (My version of your halo since we don't have the graemlin here for it!)

Dianna
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]