A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Gardencrazy Becareful if you have cats - May 9th, 2005 at 06:34 AM
Has anybody ever heard that Stargazer lilies were poisonous to cats? Apparently they are and so are several other lilies.
cats owner warns

Donna flw
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Becareful if you have cats - May 9th, 2005 at 03:31 PM
I didn't know it was that severe..
Thought it got them sick,
but not to that extremem..

It's good to know though!!!

Thanks Donna!!!

Weezie
Posted By: Gardencrazy Re: Becareful if you have cats - May 9th, 2005 at 07:04 PM
Weezie-
Hey! I was shocked to know the pollen was that poisonous.

Donna flw flw
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Becareful if you have cats - May 10th, 2005 at 02:18 AM
sca sca frown frown

No lilies for yus!!!
Posted By: Jupiter Re: Becareful if you have cats - May 11th, 2005 at 03:03 AM
yikes, I knew they were poisonous, but I never knew licking pollen from fur could be fatal!

I have a peace lily right now that was given to me as a gift. My kitty leaves it alone - doesn't seem the least bit interested in chewing or tasting the leaves, but now I am paranoid about her rubbing against the flowers.
Posted By: catlover Re: Becareful if you have cats - May 13th, 2005 at 08:09 AM
Wow Donna...I had no idea....stargazer lilies are my daughter favorite flower. In the article it states ALL lilies are poisonous not just the stargazer thumbup
Catlover kit
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Becareful if you have cats - May 13th, 2005 at 06:39 PM
the good news is that peace lillies are not true "from a bulb" lily. i have a 14 year old peace lily and 2 ten year old cats and they have co-existed very well. ( nutz well, maybe not "very well" the cats like to knock the pots over laugh ) however, if you are concerned about the pollen from your peace lily, you can cut the bloom or "spath" as it is called, off before it fully opens. this will not hurt the plant at all.
Posted By: Gardencrazy Re: Becareful if you have cats - May 13th, 2005 at 07:11 PM
My Mom sent me the article and it shocked me. We both love to bring in cut lilies but not again. My cats leave my plants alone usually with exception to my spiderplants and dracenas. I had no idea about daylilies either. I adore them and have many.
Donna flw
Posted By: PlantFaerie Re: Becareful if you have cats - May 15th, 2005 at 01:15 AM
Oh my god! I didn't know that about lillies! I was going to buy some for my balcony! Well not now...*rushes over and hugs her cat* What other flowers are poisonous? I know poinsetta is...and another few that I can't remember....oh I hope I didn't just plant some that were!!!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]