A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: weezie13 AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 14th, 2005 at 11:05 PM
AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS...

My local news channel, Channel 2, WGRZ out of
Buffalo, N.Y. here is doing a series every morning on these products and they tested the Meatball Magic and 5 Stackable Containers with Lids
I had to add my 3 cents to what they did to the product... but it was alot of fun..
The nice lady reporter that's doing the special series is Mary Friona, and she's alot of fun,
makes your morning a little more cheery when she's on...

But anyways... what products have you all tried and liked or disliked????

We were all talking a couple of days ago about the stackable unit that G~mom liked..
What was the name of that thing???

I'll add my huge list later today! shk lala
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 14th, 2005 at 11:22 PM
I can't think of any TV products I own! nutz
I have that Ginsu knife they started advertising back in the 70's. I got mine in '78 and still use it everyday.

Ginsu [Linked Image] Cinja
Posted By: weezie13 Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 14th, 2005 at 11:25 PM
Weren't they the ones that said, never
need sharping??

Are they still sharp?
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 14th, 2005 at 11:26 PM
Oh, yeah! idea
I have a "Pocket Fisherman", too! laugh

Cindy [Linked Image]
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 14th, 2005 at 11:27 PM
Are they still sharp?
Yep...just like the day I got 'em!
Posted By: Merme Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 12:20 AM
If I did this right, this should be the link to G-mom's post about her TV product:

G-Mom\'s Testimonial TV Product Post

Merme
Posted By: Merme Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 12:21 AM
Yup, that link works, except it takes you to the entire page of posts. Her post is 4th from the bottom of the page...

Merme
Posted By: Anonymous Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 01:33 AM
I've got the Ginsu knives too thumbup They're great,still nice and sharp after all of these years. Cool thing,I bought them at a flea market for a dollar a set(complete set),in fact,I bought a dozen sets that year and gave them to everybody for Christmas and they are still using theirs also.

It's been years since I bought anything off of the T.V. I did buy the salad spinner,salad shooter and a wok and stiil have them to this day.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 01:43 AM
sca QUILTY!!!!

Because I detest shopping so much...I own everything you can buy off the TV or onine!!! I am a huge sap when it comes to kitchen gadgets...anything new...I have to try it!!!

I have the Ultimate Chopper, the Magic Bullit, the Miracle Blades knife set, the Rotisserie, The Pasta pans (which I sold at my yard sale), the Manis tiller....Bare Essentials make~up...the Ron Popeil injector system, the Cajun injector system..

I have to stop..I am scaring myself really bad! shk
Posted By: Bestofour Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 01:49 AM
Johnny bought an iron that you were supposed to be able to steam wrinkles out of drapes without taking them down, and out of clothes while they were hanging up or while you were wearing them. It wasn't supposed to be hot. Didn't work. Should have figured that cold "steam" isn't going to work too well.

I ordered some Somersize fruit drinks off QVC one day, tried to drink one - yuk. Took one to work and mixed it up and everyone had the same response. The cans they come in are cute though.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 01:59 AM
Ya know...I have to say that I have pretty much been very pleased with the stuff I have ordered. The pasta pans were just not something I used...so I got rid of them...and then there was some flipper tong things that were a lot of trouble///but most of the bigger items I have pretty much been pleased with!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 07:22 AM
Okay, I'm guilty....

I have the ginsu knives...Mine are still sharp.
The tong things....I actually like them for taking fries out of the frier.
The Pasta cookware....Junk, was cool at first but it's corroded and flaked on the non stick.

The best of all is the spinning tupperware thing like Gmom has...I bought it at wallyworld and I'll never be without it...I literally threw away every single old piece I had(a lot)...most missing the lid...LOL I LOVE IT!!!! Just the right sizes for me to heat stuff up in....The lids are all organized...Takes up hardly any room. Keeps it all neat....I would recommend this product!

Vanessa, how is that Magic Bullit thing? I've watched that infomercial late at night about 5 times....wondered if it worked good and do you really use it a lot????
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 07:27 AM
Vanessa, how is that Magic Bullit thing?
Uhhh, yeah...that's the one I'm curious about. lala
Posted By: Anonymous Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 07:48 AM
It does sound sort of funny huh??? I'll bet she just loves it! p ....you remember we got slashes against us the other night..... shk
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 08:06 AM
....you remember we got slashes against us the other night.....
I figured they disappeared with all our posts! laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 08:12 AM
I like the way you think! thumbup grinnnn
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 08:13 AM
Cindy, don't you get me started tonight ....you remember we got slashes against us the other night.....
Yeah...and I had to tuck tail & run!!! laugh

Loz...I use it several times a day! Got Darin & Lisa one...they use theirs as much as I use mine!
When Peanut was a baby, I made all of his babay food..now make all of Galvin's. Makes the BEST scrambled eggs & omlets ...they are so fluffy! I originally bought the ultimate chopper...I was looking for something small to chop my herbs in...although I liked it okay, there would always be a loss of herbs between the bowl & lid. The magic bullet is all enclosed...there is no loss. It is great! I didn't think I would use the juicer & mug set but got them anyway...I use them. THe only thing with either of those choppers is you have to remember they are fast and powerful...therefore, I don't recomend them for chopping nuts...unless you sre shooting for nut dust! When chopping meat (like for chopped Bar~B~Que...just puls it a couple of times...or again...it will be very fine. I never put mine up! I have certain things I like to do in the bullet and certain things I like to do in the ultimate chopper...they are just different....and I like them both.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 08:16 AM
...I use it several times a day!
shk

O.K...my work is done here! laugh laugh lala
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 08:19 AM
they are fast and powerful
my kind of power tool! thumbup

CINDY JEZEZELL...you're gonna get me in TWOUBLE again!!! frown
Posted By: Anonymous Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 08:37 AM
I don't recomend them for chopping nuts...unless you sre shooting for nut dust!
Hmmmmm.... thumbup
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 15th, 2005 at 08:42 AM
CINDY JEZEZELL...
See how frazzled I was!!!! laugh laugh laugh

Loz...I wasn't at all leary of the price...I really thought it was a good deal! Especially with everything you get...and it was buy one get one free! Can't beat that! That's what Darin & Lisa got for Christmas last year!!!! thumbup so they could make baby food!
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 16th, 2005 at 03:02 AM
15 years ago I was laying on the sofa recovering from meningitis and my kids started talking me into buying things off TV. The only thing I really remember is a set of serated knives with some kind of pokey thing at the end. Worked great and I still use it. Can't remember anything else - I guess that's why it's called "brain fever".
Posted By: weezie13 Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 17th, 2005 at 12:53 AM
Vanessa,
Did you ever get the Meatball Maker???
It can make up to 9 at a time???
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 17th, 2005 at 01:35 AM
Did you ever get the Meatball Maker???
Well...YEAH!!!! laugh There is a trick to using it...but once you get the hang of it ...it's pretty fun! I like it because your meatballs all turn out the same size...and pretty!
Posted By: geegeeburr Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 18th, 2005 at 09:30 AM
I have "Moving Men"-- the little dealies you slide under your furniture so you can rearrange your furniture easily. They work great. I love them.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 18th, 2005 at 11:12 AM
Does anyone have the "TeleZapper"? Duh

It's supposed to erase your number from computer dialed telemarketers.

I bought one yesterday. laugh
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 18th, 2005 at 11:24 AM
Does anyone have the "TeleZapper"?
OMG...there's one I haven't heard of!!! shk
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 18th, 2005 at 12:01 PM
[Linked Image]

...says on the box that when you answer it "emits a special tone that fools the computer into thinking your number is disconnected. Instead of connecting you to a salesperson, the computer drops the call and stores your number as disconnected in it's database".

Duh
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 18th, 2005 at 11:09 PM
So do you have it hooked up yet Cinday Maybeline?
I want to know if it works!

Weez...I just looked at the link that you put on here for the meatball magic thing...that is the same one I have...but I only paid $2.00 for mine!!! If you watch closely, when this stuff comes out at Wal~Mart it is usually a tad cheaper...BUT...they usually always put it on sale or clearance after the holidays. They had marked the meatball magic down to $2.00...and I snagged it! thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 18th, 2005 at 11:12 PM
Oh, I know.. my mom has gotten lots' from
like Ames when that was still around and K~mart..

I still haven't posted my list..
*I'm really slackin'.. too much to do..*

Here's my list....

Salad spinner w/ chopper... 12 thumbs up if I had that many. I bought the hand held chopper cause my son would freak out when he was a baby to the mini Black~n~Decker one I had, when I would start it up... but I ended up liking the spinner wayy more.. it's great for the home gardener who grows leaf lettuce....

Meatball maker....Love it, cuts down on the meat touching time..
(*I really dislike touching raw meat*)

Shark pro mini vacuum cleaner... the boys love to vacuum, wish I had two.

My father~in~law got me one of those air suckin' machines.. I really like them, a plus is the bags are reuseable... put in dishwasher.. but are somewhat expensive.. but I do use it..
Love it for the widemouth jars... cool thumbup

I really like the Nick Chavez colored shampoo,
it's lot's of fun and no permenate hair coloring to do.. pick a shade and have fun, wash out later.

I have things that go over the top of any vase
and they make like a "frog" out of the top of the vase.

I can't remember some of the names of these things.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 22nd, 2005 at 08:58 AM
OOOOOO, I just remembered THE best thing I ever got from TV other than the tupperware spinner because it's great......quite a few years ago I got those battery operated scissor things....where you just push the button and it cuts....

thumbup The BEST thing ever when it comes to wrapping presents, it slices through that paper like butta.... thumbup No more slow cutting for me, I'd panic if I were to lose those babies....
Posted By: Triss Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 22nd, 2005 at 10:25 AM
I need to shop off the TV more often!!! The only thing I can think of that we have are the touch lights. I love them for when the power goes out since they are battery operated. Only problem is the kids love them too and wear out the batteries and they each use 4 AA. Now I keep them away from the kiddos!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 22nd, 2005 at 10:35 AM
I have a bunch of touch lites..
I love them for the kids.. and power outages..
I just used a couple of them Sunday night..
Son wanted to go into his tree house with a friend, and ther'es no electricity in there,
so I sent the 3 of them out with their own light.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the battery operated candles
that would go into the windows for Christmas like..
Kids can take it around the house with out bruning themselves..
Posted By: Triss Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 22nd, 2005 at 10:40 AM
I rememeber thos from when I was a kid. I would love to find some of those.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 22nd, 2005 at 10:49 AM
I found mine at AMES before they closed up..

But I did see something like that on either QVC or HSN, but can't remember, they were pricey though.
But which is more expensive I suppose, a couple extra bucks for a battery operated one's or
a house fire with real candles, or an electrical
problem???? *and those don't run when the electricity is off anyways..**
Posted By: Triss Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 22nd, 2005 at 11:02 AM
VERY true! That is part of why I got the touch lights, so the kids could ahve lights and not candles when the power went out.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 22nd, 2005 at 11:55 AM
I don't know about you guys, but you can get the battery operated kind really cheap around here at walmart, I think even at the dollar store....I use the electric kind in my windows just because batteries go dead so fast, but it's a great idea for when the power goes out....
Posted By: weezie13 Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 22nd, 2005 at 12:58 PM
The original things we were talkin' about
for the AS SEEN ON TV were those tap lights..
When they first came out..
I love 'em...
great for kids at night time to go to potty, keepin' in closets, hallways, and then they are there for the power outages'...
Posted By: angelblossom Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 23rd, 2005 at 11:50 AM
Weezie.., I was up all night about a year ago with leg cramps so about 4A.M. decided to turn on the tv BIG MISTAKE Only thing that was on was info-mercials :rolleyes: being frustrated with lack of sleep and tired of getting up and down decided to watch one in it's entirety.. another BIG MISTAKE :rolleyes: This tired,frustrated, legcramping ol fool got sucked in By SMARTWARE BAKEWARE... www.buysmartware.com Yeah well as far as I'm concerned Smartware is a DUMB buy,, I hate it! You have to use a cookie sheet to put it on, so what ever you bake turned darkest at point of this wonderous flexable bakeware touching the baking sheet,, my lemonpound cake after turning out on cake tray had almost charred mound from using the flexible bunt cake pan, the Muffins bottoms were tough, and the meatloaf bottom was almost like beef jerky :p One and ONLY time I ever bought anything from the television. I sent it to my daughter in KS for her to try maybe having a gas oven would make a difference Duh Well two weeks later she called me and told me her daughter had a message for me"THANKS Grams for the play bake set" p the only thing good out of it was the oven mat you sit on the floor of the oven to catch dripping to save on oven cleaning!! AND Yes!! I DID keep that!! So Never ever again frown next time I'll just soak in a hot bath for the leg cramps!!, So I won't have to be billed for a "Pain in the Neck" lala Smartware Bakeware shopper BEWARE!! crit
Posted By: tkhooper Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 24th, 2005 at 04:58 AM
I never have any luck with stuff from tv. But then I don't have much luck with any shopping lol.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 25th, 2005 at 08:38 PM
I've had reasonably good luck with most..

The only one that I was dissappointed with
is the new one's that have that half laddle
and the other half strainer on the laddle...

The stem of the handle was awefully flimsy
for the size of the laddle at the end, and
when you dragged the laddle thru the soup~sauce~etc.. it dragged and bent down, especially from the heat of the item you were laddling.. NOT GOOD...if they would just strengthen the handle it would be an awesome product!!!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 25th, 2005 at 08:46 PM
Angelblossom,
I have a set of similar pans, for muffins
and cupcakes...
I like mine.. but mine was from Wilton..
I've never had a problem with them, clean~up
or other..
Only thing is, the balancing to get them to the
oven, but can be put on a cookie sheet to steady it...

Could be the maker/brand??? Not sure???
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 28th, 2005 at 12:52 AM
I have a set of similar pans, for muffins
and cupcakes...
I like mine.. but mine was from Wilton..
Weezie,
Do you use these pans more often than the regular ones we all use? See, we draw names at Christmas and I have my moms name this year and she mentioned she'd really like a rubber meatloaf pan among other rubber dishes. I'd hate to get her something that was garbage. We're they expensive? Do you recommend them? Thanx!!!!!
Christina
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 28th, 2005 at 01:43 AM
maybe having a gas oven would make a difference
Well...I have had really good luck with the flexable bakeware! You can get them at Wal~Mart now..pretty inexpensive. I haven't noticed the bottoms over browning or anything.....but Ihave a gas oven so maybe that makes a difference. I don't have the mat that sits in the bottom of the oven to catch spills..but I need it bad, I am a REAL messy cook!!!

Christina...I just unpacked the box that has the gifts in a jar recipes so will be sending them to you in a bit! thumbup

~V~
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 28th, 2005 at 03:58 AM
Vanessa,
Are your flexible bakeware the ones from the infomercial? If not, what kind do you have? Thanx!
Christina
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 28th, 2005 at 04:41 AM
Are your flexible bakeware the ones from the infomercial?
No, I got mine at Wal~Mart...Hhmmm..I don't know that I noticed a brand on the box! They are the blue ones... Duh I noticed that they have some red ones also...don't know if that is a different brand or what. All I know is that the fancy bunt pans (like the castle or the sunflower shapes) cost about $27.00....you can get the flexable ones for $7.00...that worked for me!!! And...seeing how I have no room in the tin can...I can cram them in any little space! thumbup

~V~
Posted By: weezie13 Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 28th, 2005 at 11:12 AM
I got mine at Wilton...
My sister was selling that stuff a few years
back and I had a party for her, you know how that goes... so my mom ordered the muffin pans for me..
and I have seen them on the QVC and HSN channels..
they look the same to me.. some good bargains..

but I liked mine, they come out good and no
extra effort...

and I have a gas oven too!!!
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 28th, 2005 at 11:19 AM
Christina, Bed Bath and Beyond has them too...they may be the Wilton brand. I have heard wonderful things about those! Last year I got a set of Calphalone brand cookie sheets. They are heavy, but I absolutely LOVE them. That is the brand of pans that we use also...Stephen loves those! Not from an informercial, but something that we've found and can't live without!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 28th, 2005 at 11:57 AM
Weezie Must be the brand Cuz my flexible bakewear I didn't like. I called customer service and they said my baking sheet was the problem so I used a better quality of metal alloy baking sheet same thing happened SOOO?!!!
4Ruddy Bed,Bath and Beyond and Linen and Things have the oven mats I think around 20 - 25 $

Maybe I'll check out wilton brand or not Duh
I'm not one to be twice bitten Glad yours worked out tho clp
Posted By: Fernie Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 28th, 2005 at 12:26 PM
I am with TK....I don't buy off tv. Most my shopping is for what I have to have. I don't buy silicone baking dishes, jewelery, ginsu knives or anything. My aunt got me an ultimate chopper tho. I like that.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 28th, 2005 at 12:31 PM
You know, it's funny... I'm not too sure about all this silicone bakeware stuff. I think it's wonderful how it all works, and makes cooking so much easier, but... something in the back of my mind says that in 20 years they're gonna come back at us and tell us that it caused cancer or something...

I'm tempted to try it, but am not totally convinced about it yet...
Posted By: weezie13 Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 28th, 2005 at 12:35 PM
Yeah, but look at what they are sayin'
about the teflon coating too now!!! :rolleyes: frown mad
Posted By: Fernie Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 28th, 2005 at 12:39 PM
Actually I thought that one of the mitts that you can plunge into boiling water and not burn your hand might be cool. I was grating carrots into boiling turkey noodle soup one time.....and the grater slid off the side of the pan and my hand plunged into the boiling broth. I got 2nd degree burns over my whole hand except under my ring, those were 3rd degree and had to have the ring cut off. I don't grate directly into cooking food anymore.
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 29th, 2005 at 11:31 AM
Hmmm...note to self.

Actually, I don't think I've ever grated into cooking food...I'm a clutz to begin with. laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 29th, 2005 at 11:35 AM
You know, it's funny... I'm not too sure about all this silicone bakeware stuff. I think it's wonderful how it all works, and makes cooking so much easier, but... something in the back of my mind says that in 20 years they're gonna come back at us and tell us that it caused cancer or something...
Lynne, that is my thought exactly. I think it seems neat but I'd rather just stick to good old non stick.....But like Weezie said they are saying bad things about that too--heck it seems like EVERYTHING causes cancer anymore....

There is just something kind of strange about the thought of cooking in silicone.....
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 29th, 2005 at 11:41 AM
heck it seems like EVERYTHING causes cancer anymore
that's what my husband always says, so he refuses to listen to any of the warnings that have proven tests behind them even... he says that sooner or later EVERYTHING will cause one to die...

the idea of silicone cookware... makes me think of cooking on a breast implant Duh perpl - just tooooo weird! sca
Posted By: Anonymous Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 29th, 2005 at 11:49 AM
laugh Me too Lynne....Silicone=Implants in my mind....

Just the other day mom and dad were telling me how there are reports saying decaf coffee may cause heart problems and be worse than drinking regular.....I drink decaf, have for years....I said to mom, so are you making me a decaf or what?????LOL I mean I've been drinking it for so long, I may as well keep on drinking it. I quit caffeine totally, so if I had a regular coffee I'd be bouncing off the walls.
Posted By: Fernie Re: AS SEEN ON TV PRODUCTS... - November 29th, 2005 at 01:35 PM
I had to laugh one time because I heard that Americans are the only country who are afraid of eating or doing something because it is bad for rats.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]