A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: MaryReboakly Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 21st, 2005 at 02:01 AM
I'm embarrassed that I don't know the difference! I mean, some of these are pretty, but are the size of a moth, and could be a moth...I dunno? Of course there are some you can definitely tell are butterflies laugh but I keep wondering about the 'flying pretties'. Here's one I got today on my spearmint-

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

And the verdict is...?

Thanks!
Posted By: mike57 Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 21st, 2005 at 02:24 AM
HI Mary wavey its hard to tell it blends in real well with the blooms but my guess would be butterfly since it is on you butterfly bush.i do not see many moths out during the day.they just seem to try and get in my house at night laugh thats a very nice photo. your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 21st, 2005 at 03:57 AM
I think it's pretty. Don't have a clue as to what it is. But I like it.
Posted By: Gardencrazy Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 21st, 2005 at 11:17 AM
It looks like a flutterby to me. laugh Moths generally do the night, dusk and dawn visits while butterflies are daytime visitors.

moth or butterfly???
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 21st, 2005 at 11:50 AM
cool site, thanks! That definitely helps.

I can ID the moths that somehow get in the house and try to fly in my face while I'm here at night laugh but wasn't sure about those in the yard - like sometimes I'd see an all-white one...I'm used to seeing nothing but Monarchs in NY - so I guess that's what threw me for a loop wink Thanks wink
Posted By: Karrie Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 27th, 2005 at 12:52 AM
Well right along with this tipic is my question.....I was sitting on my couch admireing the petunias on the window when this thing.....ugly as sin......looked like a cross between a hummingbird, a wasp and giant moth came flying in and was sticking a sucker down in to my petunias. It was awful looking but interesting. My mother in law said what have you dont mutated the hummers around here? She blames me for everything. :p I do not have a picture and the thing has not come back but do you all have any idea what it might have been?
Posted By: Triss Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 27th, 2005 at 04:06 AM
Was it a cicada?

Cicada
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 27th, 2005 at 05:09 AM
here is a good site w/ lots of photos...

butterfly / moth ID
Posted By: Karrie Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 27th, 2005 at 09:21 AM
I looked and cannot find that bugger. I honestly think it was a mutant. lol Thanks that sight was great. It helped me identify some of the butterflies here on my bush. Found out that one of them is not common for Indiana at all. If I get a picture I can report it to them.
Posted By: Meg Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 27th, 2005 at 04:10 PM
Gardencrazy, that link was awesome!! I had no idea about some of those things.. like there is a difference between a cocoon & a chrysalis.. I thought it was just a different name for the same thing. But nope, I learned something new today! Thanks! So, I guess the one that my kid has right now, is a moth in a cocoon! laugh

Meg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 27th, 2005 at 07:00 PM
I beleive what you saw,Karrie,was a Hummingbird Moth

Interesting little critters thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: Karrie Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 28th, 2005 at 12:26 AM
Interesting indeed! You nailed it G-mom! He is here again today. I am going to try to get a picture of the little bugger but he moves nonstop!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 28th, 2005 at 10:12 PM
Here ya go,Karrie. I took this one in my yard...

Hummingbird Moth
[Linked Image]

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: Karrie Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 29th, 2005 at 10:04 AM
Their big little buggers arent they?
Posted By: Karrie Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - July 29th, 2005 at 10:07 AM
Oh yeah G-mom that link says "how to rear these moths" Why would you want to?
Posted By: Carly Re: Silly question - butterfly or moth? - August 8th, 2005 at 10:04 AM
When moths sit still it's with both their wings out.

When butterflies sit, it's with their wings closed and straight up.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]