A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper Egg Cartons - July 14th, 2005 at 08:45 PM
I know it's early to be thinking about next spring but it takes me forever to get organized lol. So are 6 - 18 egg cartons enough for my seeds come indoor planting time? I have a 20 x 20 garden and most of it this year was annuals. If you can help me figure this out I sure would appreciate it. I don't know if I've saved to many or not enough at this point.
Posted By: Triss Re: Egg Cartons - July 14th, 2005 at 08:54 PM
Never have started my seedlings in egg cartons, but I would say you can never have enough of whatever you are starting things in. I would try for one carton per each type of plant you are going to start.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Egg Cartons - July 14th, 2005 at 10:45 PM
I like to use Jiffy peat pellets. They swell up to form a 2X2X2 mesh bag container when you soak them in water then when it's time to plant outdoors you just stick the whole thing in the ground. Little or no transplant shock. teech
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Egg Cartons - July 15th, 2005 at 12:10 AM
I have a heck of a time with those. They are constantly trying to go back to being pellets with me. Maybe I bought the wrong kind. That happens often with me too. I thought I would just use the egg cartons and some loose weave musslin and make my own this year. That's if I can ever talk my compost bin into composting. lol. I'm on a very tight budget too so every penny counts.
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Egg Cartons - July 16th, 2005 at 12:59 PM
yea I think the egg cartons will do just fine! oh and plastic drink bottles and juice jugs work really good too :-) they are excellent for winter sowing :-) I've tried the peat pellets before and I'm not satisfied with them at all...they dry out way to quick and the mesh doesn't really allow the roots to expand that much but they are really kewl though :-)
Posted By: jogger Re: Egg Cartons - July 24th, 2005 at 09:32 PM
I agree with you, the mesh seem's to restrict the growth. I am like TK I use egg carton's too, and anything else l can utelise, l even make holes in small can's.

Doreen.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]