A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Carly Cyclamen - here we go again . . . - August 6th, 2005 at 01:24 PM
This time I really do have cyclamen - the same guy that brought me the kalanchoes with the name 'cyclamen' on the box, brought 6 cyclamen with the name 'mums' on the box.

I already know one thing (about the box). The bank's gardener changes the plants once every three weeks or so. 'Cause it was only three weeks since he brought home the kalanchoe.

OK - confused yet? I'm not . . .

But I did find a web page that said a good place to plant them is under a big tree?

http://www.gardenweb.com/cyberplt/plants/cyclamen.html

Does that sound right to y'all?

I'm wondering what to do - my table garden doesn't really need 6 cyclamen added to it.

Maybe I should do 6 different things with the cyclamen and find out. Seeing as how the plants are free.

I will leave them in their pots - except for one - I'll put that right into the ground with the tubers above some grit, like he suggested.

Oooooooooooh! They are pretty.

Maybe I should start thinking about what to do with the mums - they're sure to turn up in a box that says 'geraniums' or something else.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Cyclamen - here we go again . . . - August 6th, 2005 at 07:21 PM
lol that's a fun kind of puzzle to play with isn't it. Good luck with the cyclamen I killed the one I got but that was before I found the forum. I'm going to cross my fingers for you because they are such pretty flowers. I hope they do really well. and mums are so great. That will be a really nice addition to your garden. I'm glad you and he have this arrangement.
Posted By: Carly Re: Cyclamen - here we go again . . . - August 6th, 2005 at 07:38 PM
Well, I dunno' if the mums will show up - it just figures to be the next in line, according to the box.

I think I'll just wing it - they are difficult. Another guy in the building used to get them for Christmas. He'd deliver it to us with a card and I'd kill 'em - it was that simple.

I'm gonna' wing it - just choose a place for them, one by one. Maybe one in the rock garden, one hanging from a branch on the south island, one or two out on those patio stones, something down in that shady corner of mine.

Like Jeff (my husband) said today - guess you'll be busy today.
Posted By: Carly Re: Cyclamen - here we go again . . . - August 7th, 2005 at 02:45 AM
OK - they're in - I left one for the table garden and planted the other 5.

I gave 3 of them a clay pot and did the thing with the grit on the top for two.

The other two I just lowered into the ground.

All 5 are in pots.

I'll take pictures later on and post them.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]