A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: ladystressout brown paper bag - August 5th, 2005 at 12:58 AM
Hello I learn one about taken a brown paper bag spraying the inside with vegetable spray let air dry and then place some soil with seedlings of any kind let's say vegetable seeds and when they start to grow just put plant and bag right into the ground and it should do real good?
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: brown paper bag - August 5th, 2005 at 03:05 AM
hmmm interesting concept! I never thought about that one...wonder what the veggie oil's purpose is?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: brown paper bag - August 5th, 2005 at 06:32 AM
make it waterproof?
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: brown paper bag - August 5th, 2005 at 08:06 AM
I would think the purpose of using a brown bag to begin with is so that it eventually breaks down - kind of like using a peat pot, only not a peat pot. But I dunno?
Posted By: Longy Re: brown paper bag - August 5th, 2005 at 08:11 PM
I imagine the oil spray is to allow the paper to resist rot long enough for the seed to germinate and set roots and therefore be a viable potting vessel. It is therefore also possible to use a more rot resistant paper in the first place, and thus illiminate the need for oil. For example, a toilet paper cardboard tube, (more robust,) cut in half. Or a clingwrap type cardboard tube cut in sections, filled with seed raising mix and you have the same effect. Then again i may be missing something re the reason for the oil???
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]