A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper What's blooming today Pt III - June 27th, 2005 at 10:17 AM
This string just gets better and better. I can't wait so see what gets posted next.
Posted By: pcgrav Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 27th, 2005 at 07:52 PM
Is it really a blue*ish* color
like it looks???
That's pretty!!!

Have your Tri~colored one's bloomed yet?
Yes, it does have the blue-ish tint to the blooms.
No, the tri-colors are still babies. They won't bloom till next year-- at least I hope they'll bloom next year!!!
The truth behind the tri-colors is; its just three different plants put in the same pot. Then when you set it out and it grows/blooms it looks like three different colors on the same plant...
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 27th, 2005 at 09:09 PM
Mini rose
[Linked Image]

Huge hosta-
[Linked Image]

Still no flowers on my glads-
[Linked Image]

Mum trying to burst open-
[Linked Image]

More to follow..
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 27th, 2005 at 09:12 PM
Enjoying the morning glories-
[Linked Image]

Lovin the bachelor buttons
[Linked Image]

Nice row of wildflowers-
[Linked Image]

2 closeups of some of the pretty bachelor buttons-
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And I think one more post..
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 27th, 2005 at 09:15 PM
This isn't mine, but it's at my neighbor's fence, right next to mine, at the back side of the yard.
[Linked Image]

Another shot of the chicory, and how tall some of it's getting-
[Linked Image]

The view from my deck, of my veggie garden-
[Linked Image]

A sideways view of it-
[Linked Image]

Cayenne flowers & cucumber flowers in the background-
[Linked Image]

That's it for now! *whew*
Meg
Posted By: Fernie Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 27th, 2005 at 09:27 PM
Meg I so enjoy your photos. You are a good photographer. Thanks for sharing.

My portulaca plants are blooming multi colored and the primroses have started blooming again?????? My marigolds are going nuts. I have some more lavender to plant.....I was gifted with 2 - 4 inch pots of it. I do like lavender. Now to decide where to put it. Such a pleasant dilemma.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 27th, 2005 at 10:29 PM
I love that yellow rose thumbup And the Bachelors Buttons are adorable!

I took a couple this morning too...

My first Brugmansia bloom
[Linked Image]

I laid on the ground to get this shot laugh
[Linked Image]

Heres some Mexican Petunias for Weezie
[Linked Image]

con't
Posted By: mike57 Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 27th, 2005 at 10:36 PM
HI wavey all love yalls photos. heres a photo of one of my daylilly beds just now in full bloom.i have a ornge canna lilly growing in the middel of the bed when the daylillys quit bloomin the canna lilly will start to bloom so i have blooms in the bed all summer.
[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0SgCz*1sVFwQBisZbNEbp70jG9iA4m1usVatupO7Cp9S2Um9wKtdMEwlPSCZndy2jR1FTAZ8NXodco6QNw5Pv!jKgOcWpFTH2Jp7NfUWOo!DkhOOTM!bRVQ/Jun25%5E12.JPG?dc=4675528383529758844[/img]
your friend in gardening.mike57
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 27th, 2005 at 10:37 PM
The "Ginger" is shooting up thumbup
[Linked Image]

I got watermelons!
[Linked Image]

"Whirleygig" Zinnias
[Linked Image]

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 27th, 2005 at 10:54 PM
Oh, those zinnias are beautiful!! Such cute watermelons too!! Hey, how's the pumpkins doin g-mom?

Meg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 27th, 2005 at 11:07 PM
The pumpkins are :p frown eek I've been doing everything I'm suppossed to but Duh

G-Mom grinnnn
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 28th, 2005 at 12:26 AM
awe, sorry to hear that g-mom. I'm afraid to try them again..lol.

Mike, I love that beautiful bed of daylilies. Mine are so small yet. *sigh* Of course, if they ever get big, they're gonna be too big for where they are..

g-mom, that bloom from the Brugmansia, is lovely. I really like how you went under it for the shot.

Meg
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 28th, 2005 at 12:46 AM
Love all the pictures!

G-mom - those mexican petunias are great! Did you buy the plants or grow them from seeds? I've never seen them around here...

A few pics to share, and then I'm off to go plant some flowers for my parents.

Yucca in full bloom:
[Linked Image]

Cherry dianthus (looks much redder in the pics - is really a deep rosy pink):
[Linked Image]

Have a great gardening day everyone!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 28th, 2005 at 02:16 AM
My dianthus are white and little tiny ball shaped blooms. I think the wrong seeds got in that packet lol. Wal-mart strikes again. And they are covered in little black bugs. And I mean covered stem to stern so to speak.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 28th, 2005 at 02:42 AM
I really enjoy looking at everyones pictures, they're fantastic...I only had time to upload 2 pics--so here's my massive hollyhock, it's way taller than me.....LOL

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 28th, 2005 at 07:29 PM
I was wondering if that was a yucca the guy had down the road. I can't believe the size of his stock it's huge. Thanks for the pictures guys.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 30th, 2005 at 06:19 AM
After the rain (we got some finally!!!)
I've been having trouble taking pictures of this in sun,
so decided to try after rain.
[Linked Image]

yellow loosestrife - not invasive at all like the purple,
and the first year I actually got to see blooms in 5 years -
the woodchucks usually eat them before they get a chance. mad
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 30th, 2005 at 06:22 AM
That's a mighty pretty place to take a rest and enjoy the garden.

I'm sorry to hear your woodchucks are such hungry little fellows. But I'm glad they gave you a break this year so you could show off your pretty flowers.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 30th, 2005 at 08:17 PM
Thanks, TK! The arbor is supposed to have cardinal flower vine growing up the sides and top for my hummers, but for some reason, this year the plants have stalled in their growth and are not vining at all! These are from seeds that I saved from last year's store bought plants. They look healthy enough, but just are not growing. Duh

Here are some of today's pretty faces:

These were supposed to be the same as the baby pink lilies I posted before?!? I got them the following year - both from Home Depot, both with the same label. I guess the fact that these are in full sun, and the others get mostly shade, makes the difference in intensity of color.
[Linked Image]

More cacti blooms - wish they would bloom all summer, they are soooooooo cheery. I will only get about another week of blooms. ters
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

p.s. did you know that the cacti blooms only last ONE day?!? Such a shame!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 30th, 2005 at 09:31 PM
The Cardinal vine is a red flower right? That would be super in that location.

I would definitely move them into the shade, the lillies that is. This from a person who didn't think she liked pink lol.

The seafood resturant down the block from me has the prickly pear (that is, what that is, isn't it?) has those in raised graveled beds all around their parking lot and outside dinning area. They have looked charming but are all closed up now so I guess it'll be next year before I see any more. I was supprised that they would survive in this area at all. We do get rain usually in down pours around here.

I don't have any additional blooms yet but I'm waiting and watching.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 30th, 2005 at 11:12 PM
Just wanted to share a few pics I took this morning in my garden.....Everything is starting to flower and really look nice.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - June 30th, 2005 at 11:18 PM
Here's a few more:
Got this coleous vine for a dollar on clearance at the nursery, look how nice it's getting.
[Linked Image]

I also rescued 2 wandering jews from the dollar table in the nursery....I love them! It was the very first houseplant I bought years ago.
[Linked Image]

Babys breath coming up in a flowerbox that I just threw a pack of wildflower seeds in.......
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 1st, 2005 at 06:45 AM
I think that's the fack coleus. It looks the same as mine. It's the first time I've had leaves that large on a coleus. I have a packet of babies breath I'm thinking of planting them next spring. That would be the right time right?

I love all your pictures. Those "frames" are so cute. It reminds me of the old pictures with the scalloped edges. I haven't seen those in years.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 1st, 2005 at 07:56 AM
Yep Tammy next spring would be the right time to plant them out...

I have a really cool photo editor that came with my computer that lets me make the edges like that.....

I love the hydrangeas....I have 5 alltogether....I have so many flowers that it seems impossible to show them all....by the end of summer though I might have gotten to most of them!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 1st, 2005 at 07:27 PM
Someday Loz, someday I want to be able to say that too. But today I have 16 things planted out in the garden several that don't bloom on purpose lol. Next year I hope to be able to double that and do the final two tiers of the garden. Then it will be enjoying and weeding and watering. And replanting areas that don't re seed. At least that seems to be the way it works. That falls under the heading, "Life happens while we're busy making other plans" category. lol
Posted By: Carly Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 1st, 2005 at 08:45 PM
Well, I don't have much to report - nothing's changed.

The lobelias seem to be 'resting'.

One of my coleus has really moved along nicely though ...

[Linked Image]

All these pictures are great, everyone - yes, Meg, you are quite the photo journalist.
Posted By: Carly Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 1st, 2005 at 08:56 PM
Oh yeah - I forgot - I have a couple of wandering jews going too. I've already hung it and it's doing well. I'm looking forward to its growth, and having a 'cascade'.

We did a couple of sprigs last year and it did well. It didn't seem to like being here in the apartment though.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 2nd, 2005 at 06:20 AM
Here are some of my new baby hostas [Linked Image]

Lantana [Linked Image]

Floribunda [Linked Image]

Red climber [Linked Image]

Glads [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Sum & Substance babies [Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 2nd, 2005 at 06:27 AM
Nice flowers Mary.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 2nd, 2005 at 06:36 AM
Thanks - it ain' much, but it's coming along wink thumbup
Posted By: Thornius Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 2nd, 2005 at 10:02 PM
My Balsams(Touch-me-nots) and Crepe Myrtles have finally started to bloom!

Balsam
[Linked Image]

Crepe Myrtles
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JV Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 2nd, 2005 at 10:40 PM
Thornius the Balsam's are they the same as Balsam Apples? My mother had a vine ovwer west side of house which is now the wash room made a red apple like fruit she called it Balsam apple. Have not seen one in at least 40 yrs. I was just a kid at the Bosque Redondo at that time this is first time I have seen or heard of anything close to it since.
Posted By: Thornius Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 3rd, 2005 at 01:38 AM
No this is neither the apple or the tree I think Balsams(Touch-me-nots) are in the Impatiens family, but I'm not sure. They make colorful blooms each plant having separate colors from the others. They also cross-polinate to form new colors. The fun things about these flowers is once they lose their petals, just a seed pod is left. Once the seed pod ripens, the slightest touch will cause the seed pod to burst with a loud snap hurling the 20 or so seeds inside it up to 10 feet away (hence, the name, Touch-me-not) where they quickly germinate, grow to maturity and start the process all over again. Once you get a small bed started you soon have acres of them. They have always been a favorite of mine. You can buy the seeds, 4 packs for a dollar, at Walmart. Just look for the name Balsam on the front of the packs.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 10:19 AM
Hey Loz...do have any pics of your portulacas?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 10:24 AM
I sure do Vanessa, they are so pretty....I just took the pictures today and haven't had a chance to upload them to imagestation yet.....I'll try to get to that tomorrow so I can post them in here....I have the sundial mix with all different colors.....I think I bought about 10, 6 packs of them when I went to the nursery....so I have them all over the place....

Thornius, touch me nots are in the impatiens family.....it's funny you mention them because my neighbor just dug some up and gave them to me and they are really healthy and coming along nicely.....she warned me how much the spread...LOL Don't you just love gardener neighbors that share their plants with you?????
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 10:34 AM
except for the neighbors who's elephant ears come under your fence uninvited and pop up in the middle of your GARDEN!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 10:41 AM
LOL, that's not a good type of sharing of plants...... smile My neighbor is a nice older lady in her 70's, but she's extremely active.....and lately she's been loading me up with free plants...I just love it!
Posted By: Karrie Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 10:48 AM
G-Mom I have to find me some of those Mexican Petunias I have never seen them around here, any ideas where you came across them?
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 11:01 AM
Karrie, I have some that I'm trying to grow right now...if I can get seeds I'd be happy to send you some. PM me your info if you'd like wink
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 11:23 AM
Karrie...I bought my Mexican Petunias at Wal-Mart last year...but they don't look like G~Mom's. Mine have pointed petals. The tag an all of them said Mexican Petunia...now I am wondering what I REALLY have!
G~Mom...did you see the pic of mine I posted when they were blooming...is it a different kind or what????????
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 08:59 PM
Here are some Portulacas Vanessa.....I think they look so cute in my little umbrella planter....and the last pic is of my fav. flower--cosmos!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 09:04 PM
That planter is adorable. I don't think pretty planters would last in my garden a day or should I say a night lol. Which is probably a good thing. I'm already broke lol. Beautiful pictures again loz.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 09:06 PM
Okay...this may be a REAL stupid question, but is that not the same as what we call the rose moss?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 09:09 PM
I love that planter so much...I got it from ABC distributing from their clearance section for 4.95 or something like that.....I got my mom one too and she accidentally threw the umbrella stick part away....LOL

Just noticed that I have a stray petunia starting up in the second picture.....didn't even realize that when I took the picture...

Everytime I put out a nice planter, or statue, or even my solar lights I'm scared that I'll wake up one morning and find some of them missing...the teenagers around here are horrible for taking stuff from peoples yards....

BTW, I LOVE sharing pics with you all....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 09:11 PM
Yep--moss rose actually is what they call it too.....they are one in the same.....and it's not a stupid question...I've always called them portulacas and didn't even know they were called moss rose until I read it in my book.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 09:47 PM
Whew...thanks for clearing that up for me Loz...I thought I was missing something...well, I AM missing something but that is another story altogether!
I have moss rose EVERYWHERE!!! I didn't realize how much it spreads and goes crazy. Last year the whiteflies got everything and they ate the moss rose up...so, I just thought it was a goner. But...this spring...it came up everywhere...in every pot, in every bed...all over! I guess the seed gets carried in the wind or something....but, they are pretty and I love them so that's okay!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 4th, 2005 at 10:31 PM
LOL--I know what you mean Vanessa...I have them coming up ALL over the place too....in all the pots and beds...heck if I would've known they'd spread so much I wouldn't have bought so many this year.....Last year they didn't get everywhere like they did this year.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 5th, 2005 at 05:08 AM
Well here it is the long awaited bloom of the cannas. Next time I'm going to take a picture of the stop sign and maybe I'll get a picture of the cannas.

[Linked Image]

Oh well I keep plugging away. Hope when the glads bloom I get a better shot.
Posted By: Bestofour Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 5th, 2005 at 06:48 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MissJamie Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 5th, 2005 at 08:19 AM
wow sheri that is absolutely beautiful!! I love the pic of the bouquet and the baby bird!
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 5th, 2005 at 09:31 AM
Wow Sheri, awsome photos!!! flw
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 5th, 2005 at 09:38 AM
Here's some of my wildflowers again. While we were gone this week, the yellow ones opened up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2 pretty poppies
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And I'm thinking, since the rest is my veggies, maybe I should post those pics in the veggie thread..

Meg
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 5th, 2005 at 10:15 AM
Is it ok if I share a few photos of my granny's flowers? I think she's got some really beautiful stuff in her yard! I'm kinda jealous of her flowers...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Meg
Posted By: Thornius Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 5th, 2005 at 12:53 PM
Here are pictures I took in my nocturnal garden of all of my different varieties of Tennessee Nocturnal Fireflowers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 5th, 2005 at 04:35 PM
Hehe.. cool flowers thornius. wink Thanks for sharing those. smile

Meg
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 5th, 2005 at 05:46 PM
Great flowers but my puter is having a breakdown. Could you maybe only put 3 or so pictures in each post?
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 12:29 AM
Ok, I posted a few photos in the veggie thread, but I think I've shared veggie pics here before too, so I'll put up the ones I just now took. The corn.. some of it, is taller than me already. I'm 5'3".

Here's a view from my deck-
[Linked Image]

And a different angle, a view from the corner of the yard-
[Linked Image]

My tent of cucumbers-
[Linked Image]

My tepee of beans (and corn)!
[Linked Image]

And a side view of some of my tallest corn-
[Linked Image]

Meg
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 12:32 AM
And here's a couple of flowers too..

my purple wave got a lot of blooms on it..
[Linked Image]

one of my mums is trying to burst fully open already!
[Linked Image]

Ok, that's it, for now.....
Posted By: phoenix Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 02:37 AM
here are some of my blooms today
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/poppy.bmp[/img]
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/fairywashboard.bmp[/img]
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/cherrytomatoflowers.bmp[/img]
have a few more but pics came out terrible mad
Posted By: phoenix Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 02:44 AM
here are 2 more i don't know what they are though
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/otherunknown.bmp[/img]

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/pinks.bmp[/img]
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 03:44 AM
Hey Pheonix, I have that 1st one there that you're holding & don't know what it is.. Weezie id'd it for me in the mystery section. It's Catchfly. Isn't it purty!?

Meg
Posted By: phoenix Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 03:48 AM
oh thats catchfly!!?? it's very purty. thanks for letting me know. i love the color. is that the only color they come in,that you know of??
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 03:52 AM
when i googled it, it looked like there were other colors too.. but mine was about the same color as yours I think.. a kinda, hot pink?

Meg
Posted By: phoenix Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 04:02 AM
yes, hot pink/magenta, along that line of color.
i wish i knew what all the wild flowers i have growing are. i cant find the seed packet, that would help a little, but then i wouldn't really know what i was looking at either ah ha ha ha ha nutz laugh shocked
Posted By: Meg Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 04:09 AM
pssst.. pheonix, that's why I posted my wildflower pics in the mystery thread! laugh wink

I don't know any of the stuff that came up. Well, ok, I recognized some.. knew what the poppies were.. but I think that's it! :rolleyes:

meg
Posted By: phoenix Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 04:32 AM
really the mystery plant thread huh i'll have to go look wink laugh laugh
yeah i know what some are but the rest are killing me just dying to know
Posted By: Bestofour Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 05:26 AM
I love this thread!!!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 08:17 AM
Phoenix and Meg... I was just about to post this picture, when I saw and read your posts about the bright pink flower - I have it too!

[Linked Image]

And here's my lacecap BLUE hydrangea this year - looks like I'm going to have to fertilize it next year to bring back the blues - it's trying to turn pink this year!
[Linked Image]

I'm so enjoying everyone's pics - keep up the good work! thumbup
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 08:31 AM
Sold! Lynne, I'm addicted to hydrangeas - though I only have one for now - I think you sold me on the lacecap. Is there a specific name of it, or are all lacecaps...well, just called lacecaps? And how old is yours there? It's gorgeous!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 09:22 AM
Mary ~

I think mine was just called blue lacecap hydrangea - I got it on a 1/2 off sale about 6 years ago or so, and even then it was $16. I do keep it cut back so it fits in the small garden it's growing in.

I'll try to find the tag tomorrow for you. My tags are scattered in the garage, so I'm not sure if I actually will be able to, but I'll look.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 09:25 AM
Meg,

What a green thumb you have. That is so incredible compared with what you started with such a short time ago. Amazing. Great job!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 09:42 AM
Wow, everytime I come to this thread, there's
bigger plants and even more gorgeous....

Okay, let's test the memory...
beeeeeeeeeeeeeep, times' up...
I forgot already..
gotta go back and peak.........

****Sheri,
Your flowers are beautiful
I love the red phlox..
And the Black~eyed~Susan's.... you've got some plants there for sure..........

****Meg, love the bachelor buttons patch....
Very cute...
And you veggie garden is growing leaps and bounds everytime I see it...
Posted By: phoenix Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 08:32 PM
wavey p&p
lacecap BLUE hydrangea WOW WHAT A GORGEOUS PLANT
i'm going to see if i can find one. all the plants look phenominal everyone!!!! i'm jealous wink
Posted By: JV Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 6th, 2005 at 09:18 PM
Everyone's flowers are so pretty. laugh Meg yours are always beautiful don't know how you do it. Phoenix no matter what those wildflowers are called they are beautiful. thumbup You all make me jealous mainly that blue Hydrangea will look for one here to send to my sister she love them. Mine this year are my first but not my last. Have a friend has some blue Hydrangia's don't know if they are the same or not but he promised me a cutting this fall.Thornius if those flowers look like that with the naked (hope I can use this word)eye I would love to have some . Would make everyone setup and take notice.
Jimmy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 7th, 2005 at 05:09 AM
First calla lily of the season. Asiatic lilies are nearly finished and Stargazers (my favorite) still to come.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 7th, 2005 at 05:18 AM
Stargazer, calla, canna and Easter lilies are all my favorites! :rolleyes:
Posted By: Bestofour Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 7th, 2005 at 08:55 AM
Meg, your wildflowers are so pretty and that white rose is beautiful.

Plants 'n pots, what is that bluish, purple flower? So pretty.

Cricket, I don't have any calla's and I don't know what a stargazer is. When they bloom please post a picture.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 7th, 2005 at 09:28 AM
Hi Sheri - the bluish purple flower on the left side of the picture is campanula persificola - I got it at a plant swamp this past spring - it's a winner! I cannot for the life of me remember what the other purple flower is in that picture!

Stargazer lilies are gorgeous! I used to have some, but it seems that they didn't come back this year - or the deer got to them too much last year and they didn't return. Can't wait to see Cricket's pictures of them!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 7th, 2005 at 02:10 PM
Hi Sheri and Lynne,

I will post photos of this years stargazers when they bloom but meanwhile here is photo of last year's:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 7th, 2005 at 06:45 PM
Those are super!!! Do they just appear to be so much larger than most or are they super duper ones?
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 7th, 2005 at 07:04 PM
Mornin TK...I have been meaning to ask you if you have a place (or would even want some) Lambs ear? I have bookoos and would be happy to send you some. I love it and it is pretty maintence free (my kind of plant!) thumbup Let me know!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 7th, 2005 at 07:09 PM
Cricket ~ all I can say is...

flw flw flw WOW!!! flw flw flw
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 7th, 2005 at 07:36 PM
lol Lambs ear. Did you read where I thought I had bought some but actually had a different plant? That was so funny. Can I ask a few questions first?

You know I have pretty much clay rather than good amended soil do you think it would survive that? And then there is the water thing. I have to hand carry it out to the garden from my upstairs apartment so they don't get a lot of water. I still can't figure out if I have sun or shade back there. That sounds dumb doesn't it. I mean how hard could it be to figure out? But everytime I think I know I walk out there and it is different. The building shades it in the morning and the shadow of the maple moves in the afternoon so I guess it's partial shade pretty much everywhere except where I put the hosta and peonies of course.

The hosta I finally got moved but I'm afraid to move the peonies. I so don't want to lose those. But then that is another topic isn't it?

And then I don't understand so good. These are seeds? I have a list down in seed exchange. Is there something down there that is of interest? And I guess I need to add the other seeds that Phoenix sent me that were originally for hinda. Since I can't send them and Phoenix did not wish me to send them back.
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 03:53 AM
Here are mine that I took pictures of yesterday and didn't get time to post them.

This is my ice plant...my favorite!
[Linked Image]

One of my Petunia baskets
[Linked Image]

The butterfly bush (small blooms this year)
[Linked Image]

One of my hosta...surrounded by more weeds
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 03:54 AM
I have no clue what this plant is...but this is the 2nd time it is blooming!
[Linked Image]

This isn't really blooming....haha...there are our "asparagus trees" as Stephen calls them. The asparagus is in seed right now. laugh
[Linked Image]

Glads in front of the pump...haven't bloomed yet, nor do I think they ever will.
[Linked Image]

Daylilies
[Linked Image]

Another daylily...this one is like a triple bloom!!! This mass of daylilies always gives me multiple blooms! Last year, they were all double, but this one is triple!! Anyone ever have this??? ...or do I have my species of flower wrong? Duh
[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 04:41 AM
Great pictures, Jenn! I've never seen an ice plant in a hanging basket before - what a great idea! I had mine in the ground and it hardly grew at all, and definitely did not come back the following year.

I've also never seen a triple lily before - wow!

Here's my lacecap hydrangea a few days later - you can see that the colors are coming out a bit more now. I found the tag and it is:

Blue bird lacecap hydrangea
[Linked Image]
I definitely need to add some aluminum to the soil next year to bring back the blues.

Here is some nice bright yellow coreopsis to brighten up this dismal, cloudy, and cool day here today:
[Linked Image]

And... some pink spirea that brightens up a corner of my backyard:
[Linked Image]

I'll post a few more in the next post so it doesn't slow down your computers. thumbup
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 04:50 AM
I LOVE the hygrangea and the spirea!!!! I think I like those purple-ish colors. smile
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 04:54 AM
Here are some new blooms that came out today.

So...its possible for a triple bloom then??? What cuases it? Is it just that specific color? Because I have another grouping of that same plant a far corner of the bed and it blooms the same way!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 05:07 AM
My first attempt at growing monarda - got it in a swap this past spring:
[Linked Image]

When we were in Puerto Rico last summer we saw many Chenille plants growing bush sized there - the flowers are so soft and furry! I was lucky enough to find a small one here at a local farm a few weeks ago:
[Linked Image]

Here is a corner of my front porch. We just pulled out some awful evergreen bushes that the deer eat every year, and moved the hosta forward a little bit. It looks so much better without those bushes, I feel like I can breathe again!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 05:19 AM
WOW WOW WOW!
Jenn I think your hosta is a sum & substance - my favorite! They get HUGE! Oh, and the first picture, yellow flowers - could that be a trumpet vine? And, those lilies are way cool with a triple bloom - never saw such a thing! You get some kinda mutant flowers there or what? laugh I want some! wink

Lynne thanks so much for getting the name of that hydrangea - moved right up to the TOP of my wishlist - it's gorgeous! Do you have it in sun/part/shade? And I looooooooove that chenille plant! I've never seen anything like it...I'll have to look out for one - do they come in different colors too?
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 05:23 AM
Mary,
I'm going to have to look up a trumpet vine to see if that what it is....its not a vine tho....more like a massive amount of those clover-looking things with yellow flowers on them. BTW~~ I posted some pics for you in the pond section.

Come for a visit and take some of these lilies!! smile
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 05:35 AM
Already visited your pond...walked back over to the yellow flowers LOL! We have a bunch of clover with yellow flowers like that...can't really tell how big yours is. Ours grows about 6" off the ground. MY SIL showed me if you pick the yellow flowers and eat them, they're kinda sweet tasting. Though I'm not recommending you chomp yours to see if it's the same stuff LOL!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 05:36 AM
Jenn, could your mystery yellow flowers be buttercups?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 05:41 AM
Not sure what Jenn's yellow flower is, but it is definitely not trumpet vine - mine should be in bloom any day now and I'll try and post a pic.

Mary ~ my hydrangea grows in full day sun - even though it is recommended not to do that, I've never had a problem with it in the 6 or so years that I've had it.

As far as I know, the chenille plant only comes in red... but then again, I've never seen one in another color, so they might exist... Duh
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 06:26 AM
Mary posted everything I wanted to say before I got here lol. I love all the new pictures. Thank you so much for spliting up the pictures. My computer goes into that out of virtual memory message and then won't talk to me for ages when it gets overloaded. I just bought seeds for several rather large house plants. Don't know exactly how I'm going to handle that but at least I have time to try and figure it out. I even found seeds for a miniature coffee plant that is suppose to supply a generous harvest is spite of it's small size 3 feet. In my tiny apartment this is going to be very funny lol.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 06:55 AM
LOL TK I think I need a coffee plant too - or 10. Wonder how many beans you'd get from one tree? Hmmm I'd probably need a few hundred laugh

Lynne, thanks - I think it's gorgeous, and want to get more hydrangeas - have always loved them...but am lacking shade areas for them, so I'm also glad to hear it's doing so well in full sun. You mean you have a trumpet vine TOO? Gawsh girl, I envy your garden! We had one last year that I could swear opened in the fall, but can't remember for sure. Someone told us it was rare or something, I dunno...but I'll be watching for it this fall I can guarantee you that! wink
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 07:49 AM
I will post a couple pictures of the mysterious yellow flower up in the mystery flower section.

Mary, here are some pictures of my really big hostas. The second picture is of my "beanbag chair" hosta....that's what I call it b/c its soo big. The rule on the hostas is 18 inches long.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 08:19 AM
Great hostas, Jenn! Duh
[Linked Image]

Hen and chicks flower stalk - after it's done flowering the mother hen plant dies off - what a shame!
[Linked Image]

Cleome - gotta love this plant, even though it does smell like a skunk and has a very thorny stem!!! frown But... that's also why the deer and woodchucks leave it alone! thumbup
[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 08:23 AM
I wish I had a better camera - no matter what I do with this one, I can't seem to get a clear and focused picture.

Hope you don't mind these...

both are Nicotiana - everyone says that they smell sooooo sweet, but I have never found a scent on any of mine yet. Duh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 08:32 AM
We have alot of deer here, but they don't seem to bother my plants. I wonder why?? Duh
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 08:53 AM
Those ARE great hostas! Wow! smile
I had no idea the dragons blood sedum was so pretty! Or so pink? I thought that was supposed to be red? But it's gorgeous!

I've never seen hens and chicks bloom - is the pink flower in the middle of the pic the hens/chicks flower?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 09:10 AM
is the pink flower in the middle of the pic the hens/chicks flower?
yes, Mary - the pink flowers are the hens and chicks bloom - the stalk is the green stem that you see from the bottom left corner in the picture.

My dragon's blood has always bloomed this pink, and I have bought it a few different places from different sources, so I know this is not a fluke. I would have also thought that the flowers would be more red - especially with that name!
Posted By: MissJamie Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 04:20 PM
great pics everybody! lynne I'm so glad that you posted the hen and chicks blooming...I have a couple and one of them has grown a tall stem and has a flower stalk looking thing....so I think it's gonna flower...yay!!!!!!!! this is my first ever time growing them :-) and I also have some dragon's blood sedum. I didn't know that it bloomed too?! how do you get them to bloom? mine are just leaves?? and I also thing that we have a ton of wild trumpet vine at the end of our road...it's orange and is in bloom...I'll take a couple pics of it when I go down there if my camera will work...I gotta get a battery charger with chargeable batteries for the dang thing :-(
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's blooming today Pt III - July 8th, 2005 at 04:57 PM
Hi MissJamie ~

Congrats on your hens and chicks bloom! Don't be too upset when the hen dies - the chicks will eventually fill out where the hen was.

My dragon's blood sedum just bloomed by itself, though I'm not sure if it bloomed the first year or so - I've had it for many, many years.

Yep, the typical trumpet vine is orange, and does grow wild in some areas. I originally bought one red (orange) and one yellow - the red one hasn't bloomed in a few years - I don't think it gets enough sun where it is - it grows behind the yellow one up over my shed roof, and under some very tall trees. The yellow one blooms where it reaches out towards the sun.

Can't wait to see your pictures! clp
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]