A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: weezie13 How to make a compost bin II - September 15th, 2005 at 10:30 PM
How to make a compost bin II

Here\'s the link to the first How to make a compost bin?

Next is SuzyQ's last post...
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 15th, 2005 at 10:31 PM
Originally posted by SuzyQ:
Oh, just one more question... I hope! (for now at anyway.) When we're talking about ratios, is it 3:1 by weight?... or is it by mass? It seems like there'd be quite a difference between the two.

I'm really sorry if I'm being a pain in the arse. shocked

Mega Bunches of Appreciation, smile
~Suze~
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 15th, 2005 at 10:35 PM
I'm really sorry if I'm being a pain in the arse.
First off, I want you to know, that never
happens around here...
You're never being a pain, anywhere's..
when asking a question...

Someone will always be around with a helpin' hand..
anddddddddd, we alllllll started out somewhere's
somehow in composting asking questions..
and if you don't ask them, how will you ever know.
Or learn...???
And our main goal here also, is not only that you learn, but you then turn around and help others
in the spot you are in, once you feel comfortable
doing what you've learned, and enough to help others..

And you can add your tips and techniques's if
you figure out something that may be easier, faster, etc.. in the process and help us learn... kissies cool grinnnn
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 15th, 2005 at 11:17 PM
SuzyQ it's by mass not weight. Your right it would make a huge difference depending on which scale you were using. Green grass clipping are so much heavier than dry fallen leaves. I think although I could be wrong that it's the amount of moisture the grass is retaining that makes the difference.

I am having the hardest time not getting out and playing in my compost bin. I know most of the material is decomposed and I want to spread it in the garden and mix it with the clay and plant things in it now!!!!!! I have these childish moments from time to time please excuse me.

Hope you are having fun with your compost.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 16th, 2005 at 05:04 AM
Suzy...

I read on a different site yesterday that it's like baking a cake. You don't add the flour one day, and the eggs a few days later, etc.
Great analogy! Only, I do keep adding for a few days. Most of it gets built in a day (unlike Rome) but I do add to it for a few days (even a week or more?) afterwards. At some point I just decide it's time to start a new pile. BUT I would think in winter in Alberta the cake thing would definitely come into play - otherwise you won't get the combo right for it to heat up before it freezes.

So now I'm wondering about all the Greens that come out of my kitchen regularly. Would I be able to freeze them? Then when I have enough to build an entire pile, I could thaw them out and build it with the browns all at once? I guess I'm wondering if freezing the greens would significantly reduce the microbe action or something like that.
That's a really, really great question. I remember having a conversation with one of my health freak friends once about frozen veggies having less nutrients than canned veggies - or something along those lines...I'm guessing that freezing (or thawing out, I'm not sure which) breaks some of the chemical bonds which may deteriorate the quality of the green...but hey, if it's the only way to do it, I'd say go for it. Anyone else have thoughts on froze greens?

PS: I can't believe how much I've reduced my garbage (and the smell) by starting this. What a huge bonus it's turned out to be!
Ain' it the coolest? I know, I know, I keep saying that...but it's true!

I am having the hardest time not getting out and playing in my compost bin.
ME TOO!!!!
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 16th, 2005 at 06:02 AM
Ain' it the coolest? I know, I know, I keep saying that...but it's true!
laugh lol, Mary!! I LOVE your enthusiastic responses! perpl But that's okay. It hasn't even snowed yet, and here I'm waiting impatiently for spring already. lol.

I am having the hardest time not getting out and playing in my compost bin.
TK!! That is toooo funny! laugh I jammed a steel rod through the centre of mine to make a hole and tried to talk my 18-yr-old son into sticking his arm in to feel the heat. lol. He gave me one of these... muggs
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 16th, 2005 at 06:12 AM
Hey Thanks for considering them enthusiastic -- that sounds SO much better than wacko! (Though I'm well aware of the fine line) laugh

Geesh I made a hole in the middle of mine today to feed it some yucky lettuce and man it was steamin like blazes. Woohoo!!! Course it was just 3pm when I was out there - so now all the school kids know which one is the crazy lady their parents told them to stay away from laugh I oughta invite the science class over for a lesson!

Nope, Suze, you're definitely not alone in the crazy exciting world of composting...Tell him to be sure that straight jacket isn't synthetic or it won't break down! laugh muggs
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 16th, 2005 at 08:27 AM
Can I borrow the straight jacket until Sunday morning sunup? I am having such a hard time not turning the pile mid week. I got the dusty millers and they can be planted in fall in the south so you know I'm going to try some and save some for an indoor start come January and then a few more for a spring start just encase the others don't survive. Well back on topic I'm trying to get enough compost out of the bin this Sunday that it will give me a total of 5 inches of compost for the top of the bulb bed. That will make the allium and the glads very happy and hopefully that means that I will have a really healthy display of flowers next year. And then there is the compost I want to put on top of the fall bed where I want to put the other fall winter and self sowing seeds I have coming. And did I mention wanting to have some for the bed where I had the tomatoes this year.

Ok definitely wacko here too. Just wait until I lift the canna and steal about half of the contain soil and replace it with compost hehehehe.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 18th, 2005 at 11:27 AM
it's Sunday can I turn my compost now? ... 6 more hours!!!!!!! Awwwwwwwwww, in that case I'm going to bed. See you all after I turn the compost lol.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 18th, 2005 at 07:53 PM
Guess what I did this morning. You guessed it. I turned the compost pile. I was a little disappointed. I got 10 gallons of finished compost when I was expecting more like 40 gallons. But what is, is. It was enough to finished the bulb bed so I can plant the dusty millers and the allium when they get here. The others are just going to have to wait a little longer. Fortunately it's early enough that I have lots of time. And if I gather up all the leaves that are falling between now and midweek I'll have a really good excuse for doing a midweek turn lol. I know I am so bad.

Well until next time. Keep that compost cooking lol.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 18th, 2005 at 10:15 PM
Well I gathered up the leaves on half the parkinglot and stuff them in the compost bin and what was left over I put on top of the reserve pile that I have and then mixed that up good. No reason it can't be working while it's waiting to go in the other pile lol. there is still 90% more green than brown there so it's not like its going to finish decomposing while it's waiting. lol. But it's still smaller than it was before I filled the bin back up to the 95% mark lol. I had to leave a little room for new leaves. It is also over burdened with grass and I just don't want to have to deal with a smell and the bin keeps the moisture in very well so smell could easily become a problem.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 25th, 2005 at 02:32 AM
Thought I'd check in and let you know how the straw insulation in going so far. It's dropped below freezing at night already a few times and I've even waken to frost on the ground. Oh well, what can ya do? wavey
~Suze~
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 25th, 2005 at 07:18 AM
Well, today I went lasagna-ing out in front of the house. Picked up 2 bales of straw yesterday at a local winery for $4 apiece. Good deal for the size -- they're bigger than the normal 'holiday cubes' and stretched a LOT further than I expected. I only used 1 and had more than enough to go around. Now to figure out what I'm going to plant there! laugh

Suzy, glad to hear about your experiment! As soon as I can pick up some post-halloween straw or hay I'm all over that idea! The way the weather has been, I've still got at least 2 full mowings left this season, and plenty of leaves to come. So, I'm looking at 3-4 heaps before frost. Woohoo! wink
Posted By: ShirlS Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 25th, 2005 at 10:21 PM
Hello ladies!

I have a question you may consider silly about composting, but I am needing to ask it anyhow.

If composting in an area where bears are known to liv, will it attract them to the compost pile?

Thanks in advance for your help

Shirl
Posted By: noxzema Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 26th, 2005 at 12:42 AM
I am no expert at all, as I JUST started my new obsession with composting.

But I have bears here..and a Mama bear moved my whole composter.

You must make sure to never put meat or grease or anything like that in it...or it will definately attract bears
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 26th, 2005 at 01:49 AM
Hi Shirl! Welcome to the wonderful world of composting! laugh Someone mentioned in another post, somewhere...not sure where it is now... that a bear's nose is like a hundred times more sensitive than peoples so they can smell food for miles...which can be your compost bin. Like Noxzema said, I would definitely not put meat, fat or oil (dairy, etc) in your heap. Not only because of bears, but other pests like mice and even neighborhood pets. Whenever I put any food in my heap, I never leave it sitting right on top -- I always take some soil, finished or semi-finished compost and sprinkle a bit on top, to hold down the smell (even if *I* don't think it smells) That might help keep the bears at bay. wink
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 26th, 2005 at 02:18 AM
Bears are not something you want to mess with. So my suggestion would be to keep to grass clippings and leaves that are not edibles. Bears are omnivores and enjoy veggies as well as meat. Just check out the berry bushes in your area if you don't believe me lol.
Posted By: Shieldmaiden96 Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 26th, 2005 at 03:47 AM
I have a question also....I am moving into my first house. Its a rental for a couple of years while we save to buy one but it won't stop me from planting and I have a huge, tree-ringed back yard and a landlord who said I could plant anything I wanted. (I tested his limits, I said, Raised veg bed? Yep. Garden path? Yep.) My question is this; if I rake up leaves now, can I save them to incorporate into my compost later? I won't get up there until the first week of November and in Zone 5b that means regular frosts already so I don't think I have time to start anything meaningful before winter sets in. I just wondered if I could rake em up and cover them somehow and save them.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 26th, 2005 at 04:27 AM
Hi Shieldmaden! Welcome to the forum - and to composting! smile

if I rake up leaves now, can I save them to incorporate into my compost later?
YES!

What some people do is, rake the leaves and mow them or shred them (if possible), and then bag them and store in the shed/garage until spring. You can also leave them piled up in the yard if you don't have storage for them - may be covering with a tarp would be beneficial, but it might be just as well to leave them exposed to the elements. I'm not sure on which would be best, but I'm sure Weezie or Longy will know for sure, and one of em will be along before long! smile
Posted By: ShirlS Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 26th, 2005 at 07:48 AM
Thanks for your replies! I asked the question because something said be careful if you move to bear country with composting! LOL

Their noses are very sensitive to scent for sure! A couple of yrs ago while I was still living in B.C Canada, I had a huge black bear literally rip half of the garage door off, to get into the garbage in there. He was after some KFC bones which I had wrapped in plastic and then tied up in another plastic bag and placed into the garbage. I was just not sure if the composting would attract them or not. Thanks again for your help!

Lol maybe I will try Vermicomposting if we do move to land where bears are ( buying land in the spring). Have any of you tried that out? flw

Shirl
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 26th, 2005 at 10:10 PM
Well I got the bin turned but I think it is going to be stinky this week lol. I had two loads of grass clippings which is way more than 25% of my space even compacted. but I just couldn't convince myself to haul them over to the compost pile. After moving the dry clippings over to the bin to use as brown lol. I guess I'm a bit whimpy today. The pain in my arm for the last couple of days has got me not wanting to do much. But at least it should be plenty hot and brakedown quickly as a result. And I still managed to get 3 pails of finished compost out of the bin. There was plenty more but it got mixed in with the new grass clippings and there was no way to separate it so I had to let it go back in the bin. Hopefully it will help the grass clippings break down and all of it will be finished in quick time lol. I think this is the last mowing of the season so now it's all going to be leaves and slow cold composting after this. Not that I mind I'll take it anyway I can get it. I just love compost lol.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 28th, 2005 at 01:13 AM
Good Morning Everyone! wavey

I'm wondering something about the turning process. I've been scooping my entire compost pile out, and then back in, except I put all the outside stuff into the centre when I pile it up again. Is that a little overboard? I don't mind the exercise but I wondered if I should be separating it that much. But I really like to get a good look and see how things are moving along. Such a crazy obsession! lol

I'm also wondering something about the microbe action. Almost everything green I put in is unrecognizable now, but there's still a lot of straw in there to break down. (I did add it all much later though, when I saw the pile wasn't warming up.) Anyway, does it begin to cook slower, or on a lower heat, when the greens are further along? I feel like I really want to feed it more greens to help the straw decompose and produce more heat, but I don't think I should. It must keep working though, otherwise there'd never be any completely finished compost in the pile if I kept adding to it. Oh well, just asking and thinking out loud.

I've been turning it about every five days but I think I may be slowing it down by doing something else. Bad Suzy! lol. I dig into it about every other day just to see if it's still warm... and it is, but if I'm not supposed to do that, can somebody please tell me to LEAVE IT ALONE! lol

I'm so glad to have all you experienced composters to turn to. smile

Oh! Mary, I came across a little piece of corn-on-the-cob in there, and you are right! There's all these little roots growing out of it. lol. I'm sure glad I haven't been tossing in my weeds!

Thanks a bunch,
~Suze~
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 29th, 2005 at 05:01 AM
Shirl, I've never tried vermicomposting, but I know there are even small containers you can use right in your kitchen (for city dwellers)! Keep us posted with how that works for you, if you try it!

T - You need to come here and light a match under me to fetch the finished stuff from under my pile. I have no energy to get it done - and you're almost relligious about it!

Suzy - I do the same -- take my pitchfork and literally move my pile from point a to point b - and next time back to point a. last time, I was plum out of energy, so I just stirred it up some - I wasn't happy with how that went - it just didn't feel 'turned' to me, so unless I'm really outta energy, I'll turn it completely like I have been (moving the whole pile). When I get to where I just don't feel like it anymore, I'll just do lasagna style composting in place, or plan on letting it sit for a seaon or 2.

I add to my pile every 2 or 3 days. When I go out there and notice that the browns are starting to be unrecognizable, I guess that's when I make a mental note that I need to start a new pile, and just keep that one turning. Once you stop adding, the pile will eventually cool off, but that's not a bad thing - it doesn't have to be hot to render down. You probably have oodles of pill bugs (roley poleys as we called em back in NY). Those guys will do awesome in helping break it down for ya.

Keep digging into the middle if that keeps you happy wink It wont hurt your pile, especially if you're turning anyway.

laugh As for experienced composters - Weezie and Longy are really the only ones here I think can qualify for that medal. Me and TK both started around the same time - which was probably, what T, May of this year? It's just so addicting that we both plunged right in and learned as much as possible as we went along - kind of like you're doing now. In a few months a newbie will come along and think you're a pro too -- and actually, you're already up there smile

Hey Suz - what'd ya do with that corn cob? I planted the watermelon seedlings that came up. They didn't make it, but like Longy pointed out to me, worst that can happen is they don't ripen by winter, but then I chop em up and have more greens for my compost! wink Genius I tell ya. wink
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 29th, 2005 at 05:51 AM
Yep I think your very right Mary it was sometime around May. Probably if we dug around in the earlier posts we could read all our beginner questions and get all embarrassed all over again lol.

You know me when I'm learning. I ask all the "dim bulb" questions.

Gee Mary, Do I still have matches around here now that I'm a non-smoker? lol, ... just teasing of course I do and a lighter too.

Ok I missed the post of the corn cob could someone please fill me in? Either that or my lousy memory has dropped the information right into la-la heaven.

If you have the space a number of piles is definitely the way to go. I only have the one bin so I've been in need of a sifter because my compost is always in a number of different stages of decomposition all in the same bin. And now I have one woohoo. So at least I can be sure of removing all of the completed/finished compost on Sunday when I turn my pile. That is if I don't decide I just have to turn it tomorrow. And that is sounding better and better if the elbow doesn't give me maximum grief when I wake up in the am.

Have a good evening all and enjoy that compost.

Have I mentioned how much my tomato plants love being covered with compost when they lay down? The silly things are looking better than they have in a month and the only thing I did was pile a couple of buckets of compost around them because they were trying to lay down. I am definitely transplanting the tomato seedlings into a mostly compost soil next year. I bet I have a humugous crop.

I know, I know it's barely fall and I'm thinking about late summer next year already lol. Am I ahead of my self or what?
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 29th, 2005 at 06:18 AM
I remember having the hardest time understanding what was considered a brown! That grass thing really threw me for a loop 'back in the day' laugh Who woulda thunk?!

Suzy dumped a corn cob in her compost heap, and found one sprouting last look.

Am I ahead of my self or what?
No further ahead than I am! Isn't it nutzoid? Guess that's why I'm starting to focus my obsession on house plants so that I dont go completely off the deep end (very close already) - but house is filling up fast with greens!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 29th, 2005 at 07:05 AM
I can see the "mud room" getting revamped before the kitchen if the obsession gets to out of hand lol.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 29th, 2005 at 07:21 AM
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking! Though the kitchen is pretty close to done -- so it wouldn't be all that horrible if we changed focus now....would it? grinnnn
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 29th, 2005 at 09:39 AM
You guys are all Awesome! thumbup I'm having a Hoot being 'Nutzoid' with you all. laugh If it wasn't for all your earlier posts and lessons, I might not have jumped in and tried it myself. It hasn't even snowed yet and I'm sooooo anxious for the new growing season.

But what are we going to talk about over the winter though???? lol
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 29th, 2005 at 11:55 AM
Well, the way I figure it, we make it till february on house plants, and then talk seedlings from feb until we can get out and play again!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 29th, 2005 at 09:44 PM
Are you making room in a sunny window or have a grow light for an indoor herb garden for Helen? You might get something better than hotdogs if you do lol. I am such a bad girl but I just had to tease.

If you decide you want a herb garden for inside let me know. I have some seeds that should get you started.

Well now that I've given my compost a cup of coffee do you think it will be addicted and start whining and crying for it every time I go down to check on it? lol

Ok that's enough of my sense of humor for today. See you in one of the other rooms.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 29th, 2005 at 11:19 PM
laugh May be if we get that going we'll graduate from hotdogs to 5 course meals. Then again a crock pot and grill has it's limits. Someday I dream of having a stove like the rest of the free world laugh

This week I'm working on the grand plan to figure out where house-stuff is gonna fit...I will keep your seed offer in mind and hope I can find space to accept! My problem is lack of sun anywhere but in that built in porch area...
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 30th, 2005 at 12:54 AM
I understand completely. Keep the faith.
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 30th, 2005 at 02:29 AM
TK, my compost is addicted to coffee too. lol. I switched to caffeine free pepsi though and it didn't seem to notice. lol
When I go out there and notice that the browns are starting to be unrecognizable, I guess that's when I make a mental note that I need to start a new pile, and just keep that one turning.
Mary, so do you keep adding your greens all along until then, then? That's what I was wondering about. The greens broke down pretty quick in mine, and now that they're gone it's cooled off a lot. But there's still lots of straw to process.

Do you think I should go back to adding the greens to the first heap and let the next pile wait it's turn?

BTW, I left the corn in there. lol.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin II - September 30th, 2005 at 07:06 AM
Yep Suze, that's pretty much the way I do it...I just dont have enough greens all at once to build a pile at once...and I gotta empty that kitchen canister every few days or it gets yucky stinky - so I keep adding greens until I see it's time to stop... you know it when you see it kind of thing. The greens are what will keep it cooking - you get poo in there and it will cook fast! I'm still jealous over that one. :p

Depends -- ya might go back to the first pile to speed it up a bit since I'm guessing you'll be hitting your first freeze before long there...but I dunno...

I'm not the best to advise on finishing up a pile. I do real good until after it's cooled down, and then my heap seems to come to a standstill...like it will cook down in 2 weeks or so, but then that final stage will take a month. Kind of frustrating. May be if I added greens and heated it up again, it'd finish completely. Or may be I need to sift like Weezie & T do. Yaknow, I think I'll give the adding more greens thing a try - thanks, Suze! laugh I'll let ya know how it goes -- let me know how you do too, ok?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - October 4th, 2005 at 01:06 AM
Hey all, the reserve pile got a big infusion of grass clippings today. So now it's about half green and half brown and twice as big as it was this morning. And I'm busy making another pot of coffee that I'm still not going to share with the compost. I know I'm a bad girl lol. I promise to give it a dose of sugar water this afternoon when I water everything else ok? lol.

My landlord tells me he is going to bring a big (1 cubic yard) bin of grass clippings for me tomorrow. I think I'm going to spread those all over the slope. I'm not sure yet. But I'll figure it out lol. I just love gardening. Who knew it would be this fascinating.

Well I need to skeeeedaddle and see what else is going on.
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin II - October 4th, 2005 at 07:44 AM
Getting rid of my home made bin and getting a new one yay!

Smith & Hawken Home Composter
Price: $19.00
The Smith & Hawken Home Composter is excellent for lower maintenance composting, and an excellent value at $19. Made from post-consumer recycled plastic, the bin features a locking lid and and 2 sliding doors for monitoring and harvesting compost...

[Linked Image]

I don't know if there is anyone from the SF bay area here that would like a discounted compost bin or worm bin but here's the addy in case. StopWaste.org
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - October 5th, 2005 at 01:57 AM
Wish I lived in your town,

Did you see the prices of those bins???

I'd be grabbin' a plethra of them,
and havin' a part~teeeeeeeee!!!

Look at the cost of that worm farm..
Holy cow, get 13 of them!!!!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - October 5th, 2005 at 04:50 AM
My landlord brought me a few grass clippings. About 7 ft x 4 ft x 1 1/2 ft of grass clippings. His wife told him those were probably a few more than I needed. But he said I'd find a place for them lol. This is going to be comic I'm sure.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - October 5th, 2005 at 05:40 AM
Tell your landlord he better start
bringing you some brown too...

If he can "bring you the green"
he had better bring the brown..

Tell him to find a saw mill or lumber mill
That has either saw dust of wood chips/shavings!!!

It's the least the guy could do for you,
since you're taking care of his grass..
**ask, just in passing what he did with
all his grass before you started composting...
bet it's a run longer to where he had to take
it than to you****

(don't get me wrong, it's good he brings it to
you, and you can definately use it... but if
he has you taking care of his clippings, you NEED
something to take care of the clippings WITH..)
Posted By: JustAGirl Re: How to make a compost bin II - October 5th, 2005 at 05:40 AM
Originally posted by weezie13:
Wish I lived in your town,

Did you see the prices of those bins???

I'd be grabbin' a plethra of them,
and havin' a part~teeeeeeeee!!!

Look at the cost of that worm farm..
Holy cow, get 13 of them!!!!
Yes the prices of these bins are great! I only have room for one or I would have gotten maybe 2. They are trying to encourage recycling and bay friendly gardens here so. flw

Have you checked to see if your waste management/sanitary district is offering the same kind of thing for your area? It would be great if they all did.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - October 5th, 2005 at 05:52 AM
I just asked...
I actually never asked before.
*I had previously bought 2,
then my hubby made 3 for me out of shipping
pallets, and my mom bought me one of those
double barreled compost tumblers..*
but hey, free or reduced price for bins
is great...

I'll let you know, I just wrote the guy
I keep in contact with from my local Co~operative Extention...
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - October 5th, 2005 at 11:34 AM
Don't have to worry about the brown Weezie his dad planted two of those tulip poplars and one maple about 30 years ago and we have those nasty mimosa trees taking over the area so I have plenty of brown. Oh did I mention the humungous tree in the neighbors yard it goes up forever. I don't have to ask him where he put the green before,... the dumpster is right behind the building I've seen him dump it there for years. This was a special delivery because he de-thatched his yard? Something to do with a power rake. I still don't know enough about gardening to understand exactly how all that works. But I have plenty of grass clippings to keep me busy probably all the way to hard frost so I think it is a good thing. Well everyone have a great night.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - October 5th, 2005 at 08:47 PM
That's good to know Tammy....

Havin' a big pile of green sittin' around,...
get's to be a little you know what..
and it's hard to work the compost bins when
you have too much green and not enough browns..

I am in the thrawls of emptying them again..
and starting new one's...
My favoritest time of year to do them... cool cool grinnnn clp cool cool
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - October 30th, 2005 at 05:21 AM
I looked in the compost bin today and it has compacted quite a bit. So I'll be out there tomorrow getting it turned. Today after I planted some crocus and daffodils I used the brown grass clippings to cover the bulbs. The directions I got said they like a heavy covering of mulch if it is going to get cold. And it's cold today in my opinion lol. although we haven't had a hard frost quite yet.
Posted By: comfrey Re: How to make a compost bin II - October 31st, 2005 at 12:31 PM
All summer I used an old barrel that the bottom was rusted out of to compost in. But after reading the posts about composting and things that could go into the pile, I went "NUTZ" there were three wooden posts in the ground where I had this bottomless barrel, I got hubby to put a fourth post in..And of course there were really huge rocks to dig out he worked hard...Then two days later I convinced him I needed some chicken wire around this area, three sides anyway, so with me doing manual labor part he put the wire up. I had piled alot of stuff in there, but now I am going to pull it all out and pile it in there right layer it and add all the stuff I have recover from my household trash that is compostable...My question is if there isn't enough warm weather left...will this pile start working in the spring?? Or will it be alright until spring??? Duh
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 1st, 2005 at 03:27 AM
I don't know the answer to your questions I'm sorry. I turned my compost bin today and only the very center had managed to get hot and it's not really that cold yet. So the heat thing may take a break over the winter. I don't know for sure. I'm kind of hopping not because I need a lot more potting soil for this winter for my winter sow and I don't want to have to buy it. I'm a cheap skate lol.
Posted By: duckie Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 1st, 2005 at 09:01 AM
Originally posted by comfrey:
My question is if there isn't enough warm weather left...will this pile start working in the spring?? Or will it be alright until spring??? Duh
sure it will thumbup

I add things all winter.The bigger the pile in spring the better.

I can't plant tomatoes and peppers 'til May 1st.
I use the bottom of my pile then.It's not quite finished but the tomatoes and peppers love it,especially the broken up eggshells.

flw duckie
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 1st, 2005 at 09:35 AM
My question is if there isn't enough warm weather left...will this pile start working in the spring?? Or will it be alright until spring???
***"Movie saying, Build it and they will come.."***

~~~~~Weezie's saying, "Add compost and it will compost..." wink laugh laugh thumbup

ohhhhhhh yes, never too late to start..
Even if it froze tomorrow, it'd be sitting there, frozen, waiting to thaw and ready to go...
*in fact, once wet/frozen, and then starting to go from soaked to medium, it can be a little tricky, too wet some Springs are...but, be patient, turn it, add some more dirt/soil and give it a kick start... even a pepsi or a beer...
and it will slowly re~heat up!!!!
Posted By: comfrey Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 1st, 2005 at 10:37 AM
Thanks for responding...It rained all day today so as soon as it dries out alittle outdoors, I will probable spend several hours building the new pile, and adding all the stuff I have saved during the last several weeks. I'm also going to hunt some cardboard tomorrow while in town to place on the bottom of the pile, I just love cardboard...I use it in my veggie garden between the rows and have for years, there's nothing like seeing that cardboard disintegrate towards the end of the season.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 2nd, 2005 at 09:56 PM
Well the compost pile finally got a base of branches that will provide plenty of air circulation so that's a good thing. And ofcourse I had to turn it inorder to get the branches to the bottom so that's taken care of. There was some steaming but not a lot. I guess that's ok lol. The pile has strunk atleast by 3/4ths since the landlord for brought it. Some of that of course is me using it for the compost bin but the rest and 2/3 of the shrinkage has got to be due to the composting. It is very compacted compared to when it was first brought.
Posted By: comfrey Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 6th, 2005 at 11:13 AM
I've been really busy this week! I finally rebuilt my new compost pile, I am real pleased with it, And I added some sod (which came from the result of a new addition to my tulip bed) with some dirt attached today. The bottomless barrel I had used most of the summer was very surprising for me when I finally managed to turn it over....There was 3 foot of this wonder compost in it, but it was way to wet, so I used it between some of the layers in the new pile, with the thought that it might help the new pile, was I right in thinking this? I did save some to the side of the pile, at least a 5 gallon bucket full That I can get to later when I want to use it.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 7th, 2005 at 08:44 PM
There was 3 foot of this wonder compost in it, but it was way to wet, so I used it between some of the layers in the new pile, with the thought that it might help the new pile, was I right in thinking this?
Oh yes, absolutely...
That stuff, is one of the best "starters" for
your new compost pile.
(*I sift mine, and leave out bigger chuncks of stuff that hasn't finished decomposing, some rocks, bigger pinecones that also haven't finished their process yet..and take those siftings, and layer in between the layers of my
new pile that I am starting..WASTE NOT, WANT NOT*)

Question for you after this quote....
And I added some sod (which came from the result of a new addition to my tulip bed) with some dirt attached today.
Were there weeds in it, full grown, complete with
roots, and maybe seed pods?????????

I've always thrown mine in my big compost pile in the back, top of leaves and big brances, etc...
but I always turn mine upside down, and keep the green leaves tucked under... because when you put the root side up/green leaves down, you do two things....... one, expose the roots to the drying air *and sun if it's in the sun* to dry them out and have essentially no wher'es to go and by doing the green down, you do two things...by killing the green caused it's buried, and it's alike a tilled in Green manure crop and you deny it sunlight so again, they can't grow or produce.

But I keep checking it, cause weeds are very tenacious... and sometimes, the one's on the side
of the sod stripe get to growing again...
I can't say I've ever put strips of sod in my regular compost piles, cause I HATE WEEDS, and I really like to watch them to make sure I"m not helping them life longer and at the price of my
rich compost that they grow and feed off of...

I finally rebuilt my new compost pile, I am real pleased with it,
Anddddddddd doesn't that feel good, when you start a new one....I love doing them...
*Did you do your's out of wood frame like and
the wire meshing???
Posted By: comfrey Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 8th, 2005 at 12:55 AM
What I am calling sod is my wild yard, when hubby cut out with the shovel all of the green stuff so I could enlarge my tulip bed, Right now they are ontop of the pile, so I will keep on eye out to see what happens and maybe remove them before adding anything else major. As far as the enclosure for the pile: It is 4 wooden fence post (they are old and weathered, so not treated)it is about 6'x6' Then we took chicken wire and ran it around three sides. I cut a fourth piece of wire to fit the open side, but just kinda lay it on top of the pile so no critters can get into it and the wind can't blow anything loose around. It is really large and my idea was to make two "bins". Since I have to depend on hubby to help me, so right now I will be content with what I have and work with it. It will be easy to turn since there is so much room. Here's a picture...Keep in mind I am just starting and much more work needs to be done and more "stuff" added to my pile.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 8th, 2005 at 01:20 AM
Wonderful picture..
That is a great lookin' bin!!! thumbup thumbup

It is really large and my idea was to make two "bins". Since I have to depend on hubby to help me, so right now I will be content with what I have and work with it.
Boy, I know how that goes... :rolleyes:
but once you show him your finished compost..
maybe you can smile sweet grinnnn lala
Posted By: comfrey Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 8th, 2005 at 03:46 AM
Yes hubby's have to be handled differently in order to get what you want wink This weekend a neighbor is cleaning out a barn/horse shed they ask if I wanted the old bedding straw from it...I said well yes, I'll bring the trailer down and you can just put it in it. The guy said well he was going to just load it in his big pickup and have his daughter bring it down to me this weekend. I can't wait, some will go into the compost pile and some will be spread around the garden.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 8th, 2005 at 05:31 AM
WTG Comfrey,

You are really going to get a great pile going with that. I just came in from turning mine and am at that almost but not quite stage lol. It's the hardest stage to deal with I think. It is so close but just not there yet. Well maybe next week. I can always hope lol.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 8th, 2005 at 05:39 AM
You are doubly lucky~LUCKY!!
Not only to get the stuff,
but then to have some one DELIVER IT FOR YOU!!!

Remember to keep your Brown's to 75%
and your Greens to 25%....
So, keep a pile of that off to the side
and add as you need between layers....

and keep us posted!!!!!

Gosh, I am alllll excited for you!!!! grinnnn grinnnn clp
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 9th, 2005 at 11:13 AM
Hello,
I really need your help!
I just start my first compost bin 3 days ago. It has a good size (4x4 feet), the high is getting about 2.5" and more. It has mostly chopped leaves, cut grass and chopped pumpkins. This morning I took some of the cut grass and leaves from my neighbor and mixed them at one of the corners of the pin...; then I notice some grey traces on the wet leaves. Should I try to through away that portion of the corner? If I do I would not be sure that I could take everything out?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 9th, 2005 at 12:19 PM
From what I know of my own composting..
That maybe caused from alot of moisture/heat
and a wee~bit of lack of air..

I've never it had do any harm to my bins..
But what I would do is...
Throw some dirt/soil on it..
My favorite is to take the spent 6 packs from the summer with just dirt, or a pot/container of annuals that are now dying from the cold weather/fallTurn it, and dump that on top, then turn the pile, dig a hole in one side, put that all on top of the 3 sections, and move it in rotation in sections at a time..
Does that make sense, ***Oh, what I'd give for a pencil and a piece of paper right now***

But layer the dirt, in between your other layers, as you're turning it..dirt/soil is a great activator..
Also, when done I will throw on some coke/pepsi or beer or a wine cooler and that will really get it rolling...*smokin'/steamin'*

ALSO, don't compact down the items (ie; leaves, grass or pumpkin's )in your bins..
try to keep it airy and light if you can....
And turn semi~often...

And keep on composting thumbup ..
don't stop and always keep on askin' questions,
I AM ALWAYS GLAD TO HELP...

If you have any more questions,
don't hesitate to re~ask here!!!
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 9th, 2005 at 06:20 PM
It's so nice to have such a rapid answer from you, Weezie. Thank you very much. I feel so much better now.
I went out and tried to do what you've said. While I tried to turn everything, so much fume and a sweet smell were coming out. I also added 1 really full bag of coffee ground and tea leaves provided from a waiter of a restaurant.
It's quite amazing!
Now if I understand well what you wrote before (bcs I am not sure of my English) it would be easier for me to turn everything if I make 2 ( or 3?)bins, one beside the other?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 9th, 2005 at 09:04 PM
Nope..
*that's why I wish I had a pencil and paper..
I'd draw what I am talking about.*
I am so bad at discribing things sometime..

Do you have an open area for your's like Comfrey's above picture???
Or a bin *and enclosed 3'x3' plastic type unit*?

That will help alot in telling you what to do..

While I tried to turn everything, so much fume and a sweet smell were coming out.
Was it heat or a smell of like ammonia?
Or sweet like the grass you've put in?

~~~~~~~>Also remember you want a ratio of
75% Browns' and 25% Greens...for your compost..
Layer in some more chopped leaves if it gets
to smelly along with the dirt/soil..
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 9th, 2005 at 10:11 PM
Hi Weezie,
I have an open area like Comfrey's. The touch was warm while the air was freezing cold and the smell was the ones of grass, then coffee and tea when I added them.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 9th, 2005 at 10:20 PM
Okay, that's good..
The ammonia smell would be too much green
and not enough air..

From the smell you discribed..
Everything sounds good!!! thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup flw

I have to bag mine up yet..
*too slow and many other projects ahead of it,
but in the next couple of days, that's what I will be doing..
I have bins that are done.. and need to empty,
but no where's to use them now, so I bag them up
and put them in the basement *to keep from freezing solid* and then being able to sift them
much earlier in the spring, than having to wait until the piles thaw to start sifting...
Makes use of good time, that I wouldn't be doing anything for the garden and I like to sift when it's cold as I work up alot of heat and really isn't fun to do when it's so blasted hot outside.*
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 9th, 2005 at 10:59 PM
The weather predicts rain and snow. Should I bag and store most of the full dry leaves or should I chop and add some more leaves for the compost (of course I will add 25% pumpkins)? How much do they usually shrink? When will some of it will be ready?
Thank you Weezie.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 9th, 2005 at 11:44 PM
I only bag and store my "Finished Compost"
or almost 90%... I need my bins now to re~start
with all the leaves and grass clippings..
and normally would have to wait until spring to empty them if I hadn't used them up..
***I am on a 7 bin system and a large one in the back... so I am ahead of myself in compost..
so, I do it this way..
To be able not to have to wait for the bins to thaw in spring..***

I tell people to use that method, *by bagging it
if they are in need to use their bins and have access to much of the supplies to put in the compost..

Compost does take a while to "compost"
for me, I am never in a big hurry, one because I have so much.. and so many bins..
but again, those that have one working bin..
you need to take that stuff out of the bin when it's almost finished, to finish in the bags..
and to make room for the new compost..
but it has to be thru most of it's process...

in a composting system, it's really good to have 3 bins..***although, one bin is better than no bin*** but you need one bin to work off of..
*(the one you are throwing your stuff into..
another one, in the middle that' is done working and you're letting it sit/or rest to turn into compost.. and the third one to be working off of as far as harvesting the compost from.....

but when you work off of one compost bin..
You may have harvestable compost from the bottom
and still workin it on the top...

As far as your extra leaves...
I'd chop and put them in...
You may not have time to get it really working hot and all by the time it rains and snows.....
but it will at least be chopped and in there,
mixing and mingling and starting the process, even over winter... then on any given day when it starts to thaw or warm up, it'll start working on
it's own and you can have that part all done..

I do usually try to keep some pile of dry brown's by the side of my bins, as come the middle of summer sometimes it's very hard to find browns to put into your working compost..
So, if you would like, leave some for the side to
add when necessary..

How much do they usually shrink?
oh yes, they shrink.. could be up to at least half..especially if you got it to really cook early..
Posted By: comfrey Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 10th, 2005 at 01:44 AM
How do you sift your finished compost, Or rather what can I make or devise to sift compost???
Posted By: Bill Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 10th, 2005 at 01:50 AM
Originally posted by comfrey:
How do you sift your finished compost, Or rather what can I make or devise to sift compost???
Compost sifting

another sifting topic

more? sifting
Posted By: comfrey Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 10th, 2005 at 04:10 AM
Thank You wink Bill kissies I feel a little shocked the older I get sometimes my brain is just not working properly. I once used an old wooden window screen with real metal mesh to sift some potting soil, So I understand the process now...going out to the sheds and junk pile to look for possibilities to make something or drag stuff to the work area for DH and try to talk him into making something for me.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 10th, 2005 at 05:12 AM
If you can find a book called
"THE BACKYARD BUILDER"

It's got over 150 build~it~yourself projects for you garden, home, and yard..

It's copyright is from 1985 by Rodale Press, Inc.

****I absolutely love this book****

Great little book, especially if you're handy
*or your hubby is* with a hammer and nail....

On page 117, there's a nifty EASY DUMPING SOIL SIFTER...and the sifting part calls for.......
1 pc. 1/2" mesh hardware cloth 33'x 3....

So, that's some of the stuff you're looking for
if you go to make your own..

There's also a "HANGING SOIL SIFTER" too...
it's hung by all 4 corners from the ceiling, and
the frame is then able to shake back and forth..

I have a little framed in one, that goes
on top of my wheelbarrow and I sift on top of that.. also pot up my plants from there too..
Less work and no spilling, anything left over
goes right back into the wheelbarrow...
Posted By: Bestofour Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 10th, 2005 at 10:31 AM
I've got to get someone to turn my compost pile. I've never sifted mine. When I turn it, the bottom is almost like dirt, moist, dark dirt. What should I sift out?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 10th, 2005 at 10:44 AM
I basically sift out the larger chunks of
whatever..
pinecones, clumps of grass, or larger leaves
that didn't complete it's composting process....

And all that stuff that's not completely done,
is goooooooood starter for a new compost, as it
has all the stuff on it and around it to get a good jumpstart on the new pile.....
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 10th, 2005 at 01:27 PM
Oop! One more mistake! I have cardboard under my compost pile. Should I take it out now?
Weezie, I also put a piece of plastic on top of my pile. Is it OK?
Why when doing composting in garbage container or bag we need to close the lid and it's best to have dark container (bag)?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 10th, 2005 at 06:44 PM
Keeps the heat in.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 10th, 2005 at 08:43 PM
Oop! One more mistake! I have cardboard under my compost pile. Should I take it out now?
Your worms will love it..

When I got to make a pile, especially in the taller bins.... I put some sticks/branches type things to keep some aeration at the bottom,
cause sometimes you just can't get or dig that far down.. plus in time they'll break down and
be ready for the composting in a few season's any ways, and I repeat as necessary.....

But you said you have an open bin, *like Comfrey's was posted* so you should be able to get in and do a good turning, so there may not be
a need for sticks/branches at the bottom of the pile..*they can be a small bit of pain in the duppa when empting your bin at the end cause you have to dig out the compost in between them, instead of just taking a shovel and scooping it out.

A plastic cover...

Hmmmmmmmmm....Yes, Tammy's right, it does keep the heat in..
But it depends on the size of your pile...

Usually when the plastic bins are bought, they are a smaller size and compact for home gardeners.. thus needing the top because the bins are so small and only a certain amount of compostable items can be put in to compost and thus only a certain amount of heat will build up.

Now, when you have a bigger pile..you will have (if properly layered) a larger heat...

Thus not needing a tarp to cover...

Also, with out adding more confusion, if you have a pile in your back yard, (like I do) where I just throw alot of branches, extra leaves, and larger garden compostables... I never throw a tarp over it, cause I want the elements to get to it, which also helps to break it up and compost over time,.. ***it's not a pile I "WORK" I leave it, and let mother nature do her thing to it, just
keep adding to the top of it.. or move to another place and let this one sit...

Why when doing composting in garbage container or bag we need to close the lid and it's best to have dark container (bag)?
Yes, Tammy hit the nail right on the head...
It generates and keeps the heat in...especially if it's sitting in the sun or a sunny area...
Posted By: comfrey Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 11th, 2005 at 12:27 PM
I placed cardboard on the ground before I started my new pile...My reasoning behind this is, that of course the cardboard will break down, But since I use whole sheets (opened, flattened boxes) They will be there probable longer then anything else, there fore keeping some of the rocks etc out of my compost pile, also providing a home for all the critters that will help my pile. But my reasoning could be wrong?????
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 11th, 2005 at 01:51 PM
If I don't cover the top of the compost pile, would it be too wet when it rains or snows? And later...Aaah! Later, when it gets decomposed, will the rain washes out the good nutrients?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 11th, 2005 at 08:39 PM
Comfrey,
I like some rocks in my compost pile
when I'm sifting..
Although, they don't go down thru the sifter..
I like them cause when I'm sifting, with my
small trowel or large shovel... they sorta act
like grinders and grind the larger pieces that
might just be stuck together...when I run my
shovel/trowel back and forth..
so, a little less work on my end.. but at the end
I just dump them back in to the new bins..
Plus IMHO, when composting, I like to have different sizes, shapes, consistancies in the pile
for aeration, so it doesnt' all collasp onto it's self.. there's little spaces in between..

But the worms will love that cardboard..
And it may be a very good thing for keep in moisture.. I don't have that problem, cause my wood bins keep moisture.. I have one brown one that is very dry because of the way that the top is designed... nothing gets in by way of the top..
My green one does.. it has two doors on the top
that meet in the middle, so there's a whole space at the top that water gets in...

But the card board may also keep out some weeds from invading inside too...until it breaks down.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 11th, 2005 at 08:59 PM
Hoa,
If I don't cover the top of the compost pile, would it be too wet when it rains or snows?
The only one's that are covered that I own,
are my plastic bins, again, cause they are smaller, they need something to keep heat in...

For your style pile, don't worry about too much
water on it, during the winter months... that will
actually help in the decomposing process, when the water gets into the leaves, and other items you've put in, it'll soften them up, start them in a breaking down process.. and come spring time,
when it's natually wet, and starts to thaw, it'll
again, help those leaves get to decomposing..
and the worms like moist things....so that helps them..

The only time you may run into the problem of a compost pile being too wet, is when it's placed
in a place that never drains...and it constantly wet and then animals/critters... like the worms drowned trying to get there, or stay away completely..

Always pick a spot that does, eventually dry out..
You can always add water to a dry spot, you can't really drain a constantly wet spot, **Did that make sense*

I have problem with one area I put mine in....
but you quickly learn if it doesn't smell right or dry up some that you need to do something for your pile..I add more dry stuff and turn it, and put in some Beer/Wine/Old Pepsi or Pop....
Get the sugars back into it, and help start up the fermentation process...

And later...Aaah! Later, when it gets decomposed, will the rain washes out the good nutrients?
Yes, after time, if you let it sit there too long,
some will wash away...*and sometimes if you put your piles next to or near trees, they'll send thier feeder roots over that way to get all the goodies too*
That's why you shouldn't let it sit over a year..

When I do my bins, my favoritest time of the year to start them is Fall, they cook alot faster with grass and chopped leaves mixed together.....
I will start them in the fall.... the freeze, and re~thaw in the spring... I leave them until the beginning of summer..turning and turning...and then black bag it up, and pull them out to start with the stuff from spring clean up...

Next favorite time is Spring time... with all the clean up stuff and new cut grass...

again too, I only bag it up cause I have so much stuff to get working... that I need the bins..
and when putting it in the garbage bags, that gives me an area to put the almost finished compost a place to be.. and not wasted.. and it'll finish inside it especially if it's in a dark colored bag, cause it'll heat up and keep the heat and moisture in... and finish up the job
real nice.. so, then I can have the bins to put more in..
I have my yards' worth of stuff, but I also have the house next door, at my mothers' too.. so that's allllllot of stuff..

In your circumstances you may not need to do that, cause you only have a certain amount of stuff do work with...
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 12th, 2005 at 12:48 AM
Oh! Oh! I am starting to realize I may meet some or a lot of worms when I scoop up that black gold dirt by next year? I guest I have to look away when I do it, because I have that "worm phobia".
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 14th, 2005 at 02:25 AM
Hoa laugh Don't worry - I'm right there with you on the worm thing. Or at least, I was before I started composting and gardening. I decided I had to make friends with the bugs if I was really going to be able to enjoy this - so I've been working on it laugh I know it sounds weird...but what I mean is, I don't get quite as ickified when I reach into the soil and grab hold of a bug or 2. wink They're all a part of the big picture, yaknow? It'll get easier -- promise! smile
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 14th, 2005 at 03:42 AM
The only part about worms I don't like
is when I'm diggin' and I slice them in half..
I'm like, ohhhhh, I'm sorry perpl when it comes to them...
I don't frown like hurting eek them..

I do like my double compost tumbler though..
It's a bit of getting used to, different style of
composting and NO WORMS!!!!
Posted By: comfrey Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 14th, 2005 at 09:23 AM
I am glad I don't have that worm problem..In fact I was recycling some potting soil from a pot that has been outdoors all summer and I found a few earthworms, but i also found the fattest biggest grub worms in the bottom, I have never seen such big grubs before...these were HUGE. I also found an excellent way to sift the potting soil...I took a clean cat litter scooper, this one is big...and it sifted the soil real good.
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 15th, 2005 at 04:15 AM
Mary and Weezie,
I appreciate very much your feedback and advises. Thank you.I understand completely what you mean. Since I read that worms are good for gardening I have learn to precious them. I use new papers to do gardening. But I just avoid to look at them.
Ya! I am glad to know about the grub worms from you because I just saw them in August on a raining afternoon. Boy! They are really, really bi.i.i.g and fast. They almost jump from nowhere and disappear quit in a hole. Mine! I dig not know there are many kinds.
That cat scoop for filtering the compost is neat, Mary. Good tip!
Yesterday, I piled up a second compost pile next to the first. All the leaves mixed with cut grass come from a neighbor behind my house but I could not caught the gardener so I had to go around the block to bag 10 big ones. They are grey and smoking already.
I am not sure about the compost piles right on top of a cliff (what do we call if the ground behind them is 5 feet lower?). The rain can wash away all the good thing? Should I move them at another place next year.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 16th, 2005 at 01:05 AM
Yes, I would think about moving the compost next year. Under your compost pile is going to become soft and crumbly like compost is - which could be a bad thing if it's on a cliff - more dangerous (if stepped on) and also it may contribute to more erosion in that area which wouldn't be a good thing either.

As for the rain, yes, even if you have your compost pile in a flat area, if it gets too much rain, the nutrients will be leached out of the pile by washing down below it or running off it. If you're in a rainy season, you can cover the pile with a tarp or plastic sheeting to protect it from getting too much rain. wink
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 16th, 2005 at 11:38 PM
What do you think if I move the compost piles unto the lilac tree because grass cannot grow well there. Or I may have peace of mind if I get big huge carbage cans?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 17th, 2005 at 02:19 AM
The lilac tree roots will eventually go
into the pile.. I know from experience....
But I left it there too long..

To be honest, any tree or shrub or plant,
will know that there is some good eats there and
head on over eventually, especially if you
never move it from the same spot.

I move mine around..

Sometimes, cause I have so many, I will lay the cardboard down, and put one in back, and one bin in front, and then as the season's go, and emptied, I just keep moving the two down..
takes time, patience, and no money, but eventually
it'll be an nice bed.. 3ft at a time.... thumbup grinnnn
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 17th, 2005 at 11:22 PM
Woohoo the bin is turned. And it's still heating up but only a little. Wish I could talk the landlord into mowing I'm pretty much out of green. I guess I shouldn't be greedy lol. I just want bunches of compost for next year. I have so many seeds and so many ideas lol. Well I got 1/4 of the bricks in place for mortaring next year. The cold got to me before I could get to Lowe's for the mortar this year. But I am going to be so ready next year. Oops wrong topic for that sorry. I plan to do the compost pile tomorrow unless I get more energetic than I think I will today.
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 17th, 2005 at 11:34 PM
Tk, how are you! We have a little big of sunshine today but we don't know for how long. I still winterizing and planting more bulbs.
Do you still do your compost in a garbage can?
I have got a big box of 4'x2.5'; would the compost hot enough to kill weeds in there?
I also get a new idea. Would it be good to have the compost pile under my balcony which is about 5' high?
Have a good day, every one.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 18th, 2005 at 02:24 AM
I have a garbage can and I have a pile now. Composting is definitely addicting lol.

That's pretty close to optimal size from what I've read so it should. As long as, you can provide the ratio of green to brown necessary to keep it hot.

About the balcony I would think it would be difficult to get at to turn in that location. But then you would know that better than I. My concern would be if you got to much green in it. Because that does smell which would not be good that close to the house lol. Next what is your balcony made out of? If it is treated wood that chemical leaches out of the wood and infects the soil so that would be bad. If it's not treated then you are putting bacteria that likes to decompose wood very close to any wood used in your balcony. Maybe not a good idea? These are just thoughts I'm no expert by any means.
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 18th, 2005 at 06:02 AM
My balcony is more than 10' long. One end has the steps and the other is opened and without any support.
I don't have a fork but usually, I use a rake to drag most of the stuff out and push them back into the compost pile. If I have a good ratio of brown/green it would not be too smelly, isn'it?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 18th, 2005 at 04:08 PM
if you use the 25% green and 75% brown you won't have any smell at all. Next thing that comes to mind (I'm a worry wart, can't you tell?). is table scraps. If you use them they can attract rodents and again you don't want them in or near the house. But if you use just leaves and grass you are fine and don't have to worry about that.
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 18th, 2005 at 10:15 PM
Thank you TK. Yesterday I got a last pile of leaves and grass all mulched from the gardener in the back.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 18th, 2005 at 10:41 PM
For a hauling leaves with out any motorized tools, you can get one of those tarps.. lay it
on the ground and rake your leaves on top of that..and haul your leaves away..
It's not too heavy or bulky, just add as much as you can pull...we have two people pulling, one on each corner and can really pull alot...

Would it be good to have the compost pile under my balcony which is about 5' high?
My thoughts on that would be... not to put it close to your house....remember your compost bins and piles attrack bugs and other things you need to break down the contents..but you don't want them near your house, either to get in the house itself, or work up the soil around the base of your house...
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 19th, 2005 at 03:03 PM
Ya! I will move it to the lilac tree and put cardboard underneath and move again around the lilac once it's ready. I may do when the weather is good because I will prepare the previous spot for semence.
Another question: It's said I need to plant something in order to stop the erosion. Are annuals still good for that or it should be perennials. I read somewhere saying that thyme is good but not easy to start from seeds?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 19th, 2005 at 04:28 PM
I think a perennial would be better but it's just a thought. I haven't done any research to back it up.

I've certainly had problems growing thyme from seed but then I'm a beginner. I've had trouble with all kinds of plants at one time or another lol.

I believe there is a phlox that is an aggressive grower and good on slopes. Would that be a possibility?
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 20th, 2005 at 05:16 PM
The phlox will be one of the plants on the list then.
Today,I bought some more spared cut wood to make more palet just in case I need to replace the old ones.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 20th, 2005 at 10:16 PM
I don't have any palets. I just use the limbs that are pruned for underneath the pile. It seems to work fine. I am on a fixed income so I don't spend money unless I absolutely have to.
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 20th, 2005 at 10:35 PM
Up! Sorry! There is no such English word as "palet". What I mean is a crate. Home Depot sell odd wood pieces(4' long) at 51 cent a piece. So it cost me like 5 dollars (canadian) to make one side of the pin.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 20th, 2005 at 10:41 PM
Tammy and Hoa,
Is there any business near you that use's
those crates as shipping crates???
**Motorola, use's them to ship parts..
and I knew someone there that could bring some
home to me...**
Some company's often look for people to take
them, cause they just pile up on them because they can't reuse them...*what a waste*
Posted By: tkhooper Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 20th, 2005 at 11:31 PM
Thanks for the thought Weezie but I think I'm doing good pretty much as is. Of course I don't have much experience to judge my progress on lol.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 21st, 2005 at 12:05 AM
Hey, if you're using your compost
you're doing GREAT!!!!!
Gotta be doing it basically right or
you'd get soup.....and no compost, right???????? thumbup

What about your landlord hunting you
down some crates smile smile ...and you'd be doing
HIM a favor by planting your plants and
making HIS property nicer to the eye appeal..
so, it would be to his benifit...
And it would benefit him to use his grass up..
and it's benefits for you would double..

*I don't know what I would do without mine...
I wish I had 10 more...
Posted By: hoa Re: How to make a compost bin II - November 21st, 2005 at 11:51 AM
For sure you are doing greeeat TK. Tell me more about composting. I love it, too.
I got two industrial crates but I have to take them home one at a time bcs my car is too small.
Today, I saw my friend make her compost bin with nylon treillis ( the one for climbing tomatoes plants) and bambou sticks (from Onedollar store).
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]