A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: pcgrav Stains... - June 28th, 2005 at 08:05 PM
Ever get a grease spot on your favorite t-shirt that won't wash out??? You know like when you're in the kitchen cooking and you get cooking oil on it or your eating something and the grease drips from it(heaven forbid anybody eat anything that greasy).
Well if you spray the spot from the inside with 409 cleaner then add your stain remover to it let it sit over night then launder it-- most of the time it will come clean... The 409 needs to go first because its the degreaser the\at will lift the grease the stain remover gives it a boost to work on fabric.
P.S. this works good if you ever need to use peanutbutter to get gum out of clothing...keeps the oil in the peanutbutter from staining the piece

#2-- For anyone who washes white shirts that have been sweated in to the point they have brown stains around the collar-- use some CLR on it.. Spray on; let it stand for a few hours; then wash as usual. It gets it out for me everytime.
Posted By: Suzi Re: Stains... - July 23rd, 2005 at 11:03 PM
Sears sells a detergent called Ultra Plus (some with softener, some with oxy clean, too) that I use. I spilled strawberry soda all down one of my favorite light colored shirts the other day, and about a week later instead of throwing out (like I usually would have done) I threw it in the wash WITHOUT PRETREATING... When I got done washing and drying, the entire stain was gone! no trace of it ever even being there.

This also works with my son's baby food stains (anything with carrots and sweet potatoes stains) but all I do is throw them in the wash and BAM! like new again.

I use the Ultra Plus with OxiClean for my whites, and also for some of my light colors if they start looking dingy. The key is to follow the package directions and let the tub fill with water before adding the detergent on TOP of the water. If you sprinkle it right on the clothes it can bleach sections and make them funky looking.

Another use for powdered laundry detergent: in the fall when your plants are dying back and things are becoming dormant, and again in early spring, sprinkle a generous amount of powdered soap on your soil. It will loosten the dirt and make it easier to dig. Also, the cheaper the powdered soap is, the better this works
Posted By: maryann matthews Re: Stains... - July 24th, 2005 at 05:23 AM
Hi:

My husband swears by Spray 9. I didn't believe him at first, but since using it....I have virtually stopped buying this product for that, and that product for this...(if you know what I mean!). This does it all in one product. It costs a bit more, but it is very concentrated and I buy nothing else now.

My husband was in the carpet cleaning business for 29 years, and knows all about stains!

Maryann crit
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]