A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Tonya I took a walk..... - September 12th, 2006 at 09:26 PM
And saw these...any idea what they are?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have seen the second one before, but the first I don't think I have ever seen.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: I took a walk..... - September 12th, 2006 at 09:36 PM
What ever they are, they are really pretty Tonya!
Posted By: buzylady Re: I took a walk..... - September 12th, 2006 at 09:43 PM
Hi. The first one looks like what I see everywhere also. It looks like the evening primrose I planted from someones trade. They must be a wildflower.
The second one looks like yucca to me. A very young one. They pop up everywhere here too.
The yucca can be transplanted easy. I don't know about the other.
Diane
Posted By: Tonya Re: I took a walk..... - September 12th, 2006 at 09:54 PM
The yucca is on the outskirts of someone's property...I will try to catch them at home befor digging. The other...I have everywhere in my yard, but it gets cut down before it blooms.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I took a walk..... - September 12th, 2006 at 10:59 PM
I don't think the second one is a Yucca...or at least not the variety I have. The young ones I have have leaves far straighter (if that's a word) coming up from the ground and ending in a point. This looks more like it might be a type of Hosta to me.
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: I took a walk..... - September 13th, 2006 at 12:58 AM
That first one looks like [Linked Image] "Partridge Pea", Chamaecrista fasciculata
(formerly known as Cassia fasciculata).
Watch out, it's a pretty prolific weed in our neck of the woods, Tonya.

I think that the second one is a Yucca seedling, too.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I took a walk..... - September 13th, 2006 at 12:59 AM
yes, the second one is yucca - there are many different varieties and that one with the little strings is a very common one. can't remember it's exact name tho, sorry.

don't know what the other one is. nice plant tho!
Posted By: Tonya Re: I took a walk..... - September 13th, 2006 at 01:58 AM
It is definitely a partridge pea, zuzu! kissies
Posted By: Carly Re: I took a walk..... - September 13th, 2006 at 02:39 AM
Those yellows seem to be the same way chicory grow - 'cept chicory is blue and has composite petals.

I do like these you've shown.

Grab some deadheads immediately.
Posted By: Carly Re: I took a walk..... - September 13th, 2006 at 02:41 AM
Yeah - just grab the deadheads for the seeds - it's a lot easier than hawking the thing up and transplanting it.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]