A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: HocusPocus Seed starting questions (zone 6) - January 31st, 2007 at 03:29 PM
I am considering the Burpee ultimate seed starting kit, in spite of reviews reporting flimsy cells. The other option is the Parks bio dome. Does anyone have any experience with either of these systems?

Also, how soon should I start the seeds? I'm in zone 6, I'll be starting tomatoes and peppers.
Posted By: badplanter Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - January 31st, 2007 at 03:38 PM
I've never tried either kit, but for the earliest fruit[peppers, tomatoes], start the plant[s] indoors a few weeks before your last frost date... get them outside and planted as soon as your garden is ready for them, and as soon as it's warm enough, after all dangers of frost or very cold weather.

--Mark--
Posted By: 'Sparagus Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - January 31st, 2007 at 04:02 PM
Hey Hocus Pocus,

I just got the Burpee 72 cell seed starting greenhouse kit yesterday. I saw the "ultimate" one as well and I couldnt really figure out the difference, except that it was MUCH more expensive!! So if you can find the plain 72 cell, Id go for it. It comes with compressed seed starting mix, a waterproof tray and clear lid. I could see the cells being flimsy, but the tray and lid look like they will last many seasons.

Check it out, I got mine at Home Depot for under $9
http://www.burpee.com/shopping/prod...11&iProductID=4159&iSubSubCat=11
Posted By: 'Sparagus Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - January 31st, 2007 at 04:04 PM
Ok, looks like the only difference is the "ultimate" one has an "advanced" capilary action mat to evenly distribute moisture. Unless you arent going to closely monitor the progress of your seedlings, Id say that's unnecessary....
Posted By: johnCT Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - January 31st, 2007 at 07:17 PM
Why buty the kits? Just pick up a couple flats and fill them with a good soiless mix. Don't bother with gimmicks.

I usually start mine the second or third week of April. About six weeks before you're avg last frost date is good.
Posted By: 'Sparagus Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - January 31st, 2007 at 07:22 PM
John, boy did I feel like a sucker buying that kit! They had seeds, kits but no bags of seed starting mix. And I didnt want to schlep my 2 year old all over town, so here I am! perpl

Last year I used a clear zippered storage bag that my daughter's crib bedding came it. I put a plastic tray with peat pots in it, and it worked great as a greenhouse!
Posted By: MLN Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - February 1st, 2007 at 03:55 PM
While they're not very big, the two-piece plastic bowls the fast food places serve salads in make great little greenhouses. While I was still working, I got my friends to save them for me. All you have to do is buy some peat pellets and you're good to go.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - February 1st, 2007 at 04:07 PM
I'm doing yogurt cups this year. Last year I did the egg cartons. I don't worry about a dome because I've never needed it in the apartment. But If one of the seed varieties calls for something special I'll put the cups in ziplocs lol.

Of all the things I have seen advertised the one I would most like is the warming tray. But talk about expensive. But without it, it takes about 6 weeks to germinate my peppers. I don't have anywhere I can heat up to the required 80 to 90 degrees F to promote faster germination on these plants.

Good luck with your planting. I'm planning on starting mine today. Since I harvested my inside herbs yesterday.
Posted By: always2shy Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - February 1st, 2007 at 04:39 PM
Originally posted by tkhooper:

Of all the things I have seen advertised the one I would most like is the warming tray. But talk about expensive. But without it, it takes about 6 weeks to germinate my peppers. I don't have anywhere I can heat up to the required 80 to 90 degrees F to promote faster germination on these plants.

Good luck with your planting. I'm planning on starting mine today. Since I harvested my inside herbs yesterday.
I would like to have one of those too but I think they are over-priced. I use old heating pads that I find at the thrift store. One of them gets a little too hot so I put a heavy folded bath towel between the tray and the pad and it seems to work just fine. That's how I started all of my seeds last year.
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - February 1st, 2007 at 04:56 PM
I've heard of people even using a twin sized heated blanket (from clearance) and putting a thin layer of foam between the blanket and an aluminum sheet that the plants sit on. I keep mine on the fridge and in 1 weeks time already have some peppers germinating.
Posted By: HocusPocus Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - February 2nd, 2007 at 09:20 PM
I like the heating pad/blanket idea. I'm going out of town for 10 days about a week after I plan on starting my seedlings. I was thinking the seed starting kit would help eliminate watering issues that may be caused by the person taking care of my plants while I'm away.
Posted By: 'Sparagus Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - February 3rd, 2007 at 12:32 AM
Drying out is much better than getting overwatered.....the critical time for moisture is before they germinate. Once they are up, they dont need as much constant moisture...but it helps, of course!

I have to say the Burpee 72 cell greenhouse is awesome!! My cabbage, broccoli and cauliflowers sprouted in less than 48 hours!! clp

As far as heat, I start mine in the warmest room of the house. We have oil heat with radiators. I sat the greenhouse on a little bench right next to the heater, and here I am! The room temp was no higher than 70.

Hocus, what are kind of seeds are you starting?
Posted By: HocusPocus Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - February 5th, 2007 at 05:08 PM
Tomatoes and peppers. Baby bell peppers, Black Krim, Big Rainbow, Sweet tangerine and grape tomatoes. Oh, and I'm going to try and start some petunia seeds that I havested from an unusual petunia I found last year. I'm sure my garden center will not have it this year.
Posted By: dodge Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - February 7th, 2007 at 02:59 AM
I use any type of clear dome on top.. All them plastic hard shells in the stores on stuff we buy , work great.
I put cuttings in a pot an threw on top and it kept the moisture just great.

dodge
Posted By: johnCT Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - February 7th, 2007 at 08:16 PM
Originally posted by HocusPocus:
Oh, and I'm going to try and start some petunia seeds that I havested from an unusual petunia I found last year.
Probably a hybrid, so don't be suprised if it doesn't come true. ters
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Seed starting questions (zone 6) - February 7th, 2007 at 09:09 PM
I bought the Parks bio-dome last year.
My seeds came up quickly and did well.
The only thing was, it was so big and the water in the tray made it hard to carry outdoors and back inside in the evening.
I gave it away and went back to paper cups and sandwich bags.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]