A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: roflol Mystery tropicals from Lowe's - December 23rd, 2006 at 09:58 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These came off the 25-cents-a-pot table at Lowe's today. The plants in the top picture came labeled "I Am The Succulent." lol. The second one is *very* bumpy textured; there are three plants in the pot. Is the third picture a type of Dracaena (no stalk to speak of, just a floret of leaves, best I can describe it)? And is the bottom one a Boston Fern?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: badplanter Re: Mystery tropicals from Lowe's - December 23rd, 2006 at 11:17 AM
Very interesting! thumbup

The last one does look like some type of fern...
Posted By: DowntoEarth Re: Mystery tropicals from Lowe's - December 23rd, 2006 at 12:54 PM
You got some nice bargains there! You certainly can't go wrong with 25 cents a plant!

The first one's name escapes me at the moment, but "Star" I think part of the common name comes to mind on that one.

The second one was is a Pilea (Moon Valley)

Third, Draceana (Janet Craig)

Forth looks like a Boston fern.

I bought a decent sized Boston fern at Lowe's several yrs back off the discount table, sometimes called the "dead cart" laugh for a buck, a buck well spent!
Posted By: roflol Re: Mystery tropicals from Lowe's - December 23rd, 2006 at 01:21 PM
Thanks for the info, Mark and DowntoEarth! I can now (hopefully) take care of the Pilea Moon Valley (very appropriate name!), Janet Craig Dracaena (hooray! another low-light plant!) and Boston fern and get them in better shape, still hoping to find out what the top ones are for sure. :-)

I agree, can't go wrong with a quarter a plant... I don't have the best history when it comes to houseplants but I'm willing to gamble that much.

flw
Posted By: chermoni Re: Mystery tropicals from Lowe's - December 24th, 2006 at 01:22 AM
That third one is definately a Janet Craig Dracaena, I have one that I had gotten as a mystery plant from Fred Meyer 3 years ago and it's still doing well. Great finds, congrats to you!
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: Mystery tropicals from Lowe's - December 24th, 2006 at 04:02 AM
Great finds, roflol thumbup
Posted By: roflol Re: Mystery tropicals from Lowe's - December 24th, 2006 at 04:17 AM
Thanks, zuzu's petals! That looks like another one I might be able to handle! thumbup

Ohhhh, I wish I had more gardening friends who lived close by, I'd have bought all the plants to give away as there were so many well worth the quarter!
flw

Thanks for the help, everybody! luv
Posted By: dodge Re: Mystery tropicals from Lowe's - December 31st, 2006 at 08:36 AM
roflol,

Just watch for white flies on those from Lowes.
Last 2 years i did like you did.......White fly arrived too..really bad.

dodge
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]