A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: weezie13 Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 06:41 AM
My mother sent this to me from Florida..
What izzzzz it???

[Linked Image]

AND IT'S THE SIZE OF A FOOTBALL!!!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 06:47 AM
She's tryin' to tell me it's a Coconut... frown nutz
I do not think so...

I'm thinkin' it's somekind of Palm Nut???
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 06:53 AM
Okay, here's another view of it...
The end that's attached to the tree..
and I put a quarter on it for size..
*remember it's the size of a football*

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Patty S Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 06:56 AM
Weezie it looks like a coconut! (Really!) When I was in Hawaii several years ago, you could buy them like this, with an address tag attached to them, for mailing to someone. Inside this is a woody, hairy-like mass between the outer shell & the coconut... as you would buy them "raw" in the produce department. (The little dark, round ones, that you poke holes in to drain the "coconut milk" out of, then break open with a hammer & lift the "meat" out of!)

I've asked my daughter, who lives on Maui, to send me one, but she says that she can't find them in any of the stores there. I wanted one for my kids at the school, so they could take it apart, but OH WELL!
(Maybe they stopped marketing them that way... some sort of Agricultural law or something, I figure.) Duh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 07:10 AM
Seriously???
Like I have to take the outter coating off,
to get at the next outter coating????

I am used to seeing the hairy coconuts in
the grocery store...

That's why I didn't think it was a coconut..

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
Posted By: ShirlS Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 07:58 AM
Yeppers! That is a coconut!The part you are used to is inside.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 08:09 AM
Well, I'll be dipped..
Okay, if we have two yes's.....
I'll go with the yes's..

I just thought it looked like a seed,
and thought, I'd feel bad if I cracked it open,
and I could have planted it...

Thanks!!

P/S I'd been busy Googling seed, nut, etc...
but couldn't find anything that resembled it..
Posted By: ShirlS Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 08:11 AM
Sometimes you feel like a nut!!( this coconut thread reminds me of almond joy commercial) laugh Glad you found out what it is. We were in Honolulu in Nov, and they are hanging on the trees there.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 08:22 AM
Originally posted by ShirlS:
Sometimes you feel like a nut
ohhhhhhhh yeah...
I kept sayin' That ain't no coconut...

I am wondering, why soooooo many layers to finally get to that coconut meat..
The one that I am used to in a grocery store is like armor... I would have thought that would have sufficed in mother natures' scheme...

And now you got me wanting a Almond Joy Bar...
with DARK CHOCOLATE!!
Posted By: Patty S Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 08:28 AM
Weezie, for all I know, there are probably 2,000 different kinds of Palm trees, & I can't say that I know what kind of "fruit" or "nut" grows on each one, but I do know that Coconuts grow on Palm trees!

If your Mother sent it to you from Florida, my guess is that she may have gotten it from a Coconut Palm there. Yes, you DO have to take the outer coating off, to get at the next outer coating, (if you want to get to the meat, that is.) You can use a saw on the outside & inside shells, but getting through all that woody fiber is a bugger! [Linked Image] Personally, I think they're really cool just the way you have it (& a lot less work!) laugh laugh

Sure makes a person wonder how the cave man got into them!!!

By the way, if you want to read some really interesting botanical stuff about that goofy looking nut & some of its bi-products, take a look at this, and wonder no more!
Posted By: Patty S Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 08:43 AM
I just thought it looked like a seed,
It IS a seed! (I think ALL nuts are seeds... present company excluded!) laugh laugh

...But before you go off & plant it, read up on that last link I posted. I didn't see that it says anything about how long it takes to germinate something like that! (My guess is that it might need to be Scarafied though... with an axe!)

If you decide to plant it, don't forget where you put it over the years, as it just might take a while! (And, keep us posted!)
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Patty S:
[b]I just thought it looked like a seed,
It IS a seed! (I think ALL nuts are seeds... present company excluded!) laugh laugh

...But before you go off & plant it, read up on that last link I posted. I didn't see that it says anything about how long it takes to germinate somethiing like that! (My guess is that it might need to be Scarafied though... with an axe!)

If you decide to plant it, don't forget where you put it over the years, as it just might take a while! (And, keep us posted!) [/b]
That is true.. all nuts are seeds that I know of.
But I was thinkin' a regular ole palm tree, not a coconut tree... *cause I was still thinkin' the coconut looked like that when it grew.. Duh nutz *

No, I wouldn't be able to get it not cracked open by my wee~one, he is dyin' to get his hammer out and crack it open... wink laugh laugh

I'd never be able to plant that puppy here, we are definatelyyyyyyyy out of it's growing range, ferrrrrr shurrrrrrrrr!!!!
And no place to over winter it.. eek
Posted By: Patty S Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 09:19 AM
Oh, that's right, you're in New York! (I'd say it really really would take a long time, in that case!) laugh
[Linked Image] I know! Go plant it in G-Mom's yard! [Linked Image]

(Really - a "seed" that size, even the "little one" on the inside, boggles my mind!) thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 09:28 AM
I was thinkin' it was something like this.. Lodoicea maldivica
Posted By: Patty S Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 10:24 AM
WOW!
Now THAT'S a seed! (Notice that it's also from a Palm!)

I think at $450.00 USD, I'd have to want one of those pretty darned bad, but I like how it says "The seeds are not very difficult to germinate"! (And that site even has directions!) laugh laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 27th, 2006 at 08:49 PM
Now for the 64,ooo dollar question,
How do I get the first layer off???

I know what to do to the second layer,
hammer and nail, get the milk out, at least 2 holes, one for air and one for the milk..

but how does one get the outter coating off?? Duh nutz Doesn't feel like you can peel it??? Do I have to take the axe to that part?
Posted By: Patty S Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - February 28th, 2006 at 02:54 PM
Duh </i>
Posted By: ShirlS Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 1st, 2006 at 04:19 AM
I did some looking around about opening this thing. It seems that a machete is used to slice away the outside husk. In the same way we sharpen a pencil with a knife. They warn about it being dangerous, so be careful if you do this. They say a knife can be used but to buy a $10 knife, instead of using your good set, as it dulls them fast. Once the husk is removed you have to slice through the skin in order to get to the coconut ( kind we see at the store)

Have fun girlfriend! clp
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 1st, 2006 at 06:08 AM
Weezie - that is DEFINITELY A COCONUT!!!
We saw many on the ground just like that when we were in Puerto Rico 2 summers ago. I could not, for the life of me get into one!!! I carried that baby all around the island and never got it opened. I even threw it at the ground, bashed it against a concrete curb - nothing got into it.

Can't wait to hear how you finally manage it!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 1st, 2006 at 07:13 AM
I'm waiting for mother to get home, tomorrow afternoon..
Papito sent me some info on opening,
yeah, it had the machete too....

We're going to make it a family project..
Well, the kids are only watching, that is for sure, but I'd like them to see it..
I think it'll be fun..

I carried that baby all around the island and never got it opened. I even threw it at the ground, bashed it against a concrete curb - nothing got into it.

I was talking about that last night, of sorts, as to how the plant species survives with so much outter coating on the darn thing, how it even sprouts to make a new tree?????
Posted By: DanielNewman007 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 1st, 2006 at 10:29 PM
From what I know (not much as it may turn out!) but the coconut (as we know) inside your shell, will have a soft green outer skin to it. It's only when exposed to air and sun that it husks up into the hard brown ones we know and love.

And the shell (kernel?) that you have, can be opened "easily" by inserting a sharp object into the top and just banging it? That what Ray Mears said on his survival TV programme once anyway.
Posted By: neko nomad Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 1st, 2006 at 11:00 PM
A real conversation piece, if I ever saw one.

Some experience is required to chop it open without hurting yourself, as the fibrous outer husk is over an inch thick, and is really tough.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 1st, 2006 at 11:38 PM
We keep knocking on it..
and Duh GREEN Duh BROWN nutz ???
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 2nd, 2006 at 06:17 AM
a very sharp serrated edge bread/carving knife will "crack" the outer hull, then pliers can be used to peel the fibrous cover (the same thing that they make the coconut mats out of), then you know the drill after that!
Posted By: Patty S Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 2nd, 2006 at 03:46 PM
Weezie, have you tried putting that thing in a vice (to hold it still) & sawing the outer shell with a hand saw? Seems that would be the safest way to tackle the job. (That's what I'd do... after all, it is "wood".)
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 2nd, 2006 at 08:55 PM
Well, we've been discussing it..
We wanted to wait until mother came home from
Florida, and do it all as a family..
*ok, so we are amused easily I guess wink laugh "

I just picked her up yesterday at 5:00pm, back to Wally~World to get her some fresh groceries, and to an All you can eat Chinese Buffet...
My husband went to my friends house to fix her computer and I drove mother home and unloaded her luggage and put her groceries away and made her a cup of tea and left.. she was pooped!!

Probably tonight or tomorrow when things start to calm down..

I STILL NEED TO KNOW IF WE CAN EAT IT GREEN OR HAVE WAIT UNTIL IT TURNS BROWN?? Duh perpl
Posted By: DanielNewman007 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 2nd, 2006 at 09:45 PM
From what I've seen, it's ready when you hear the liquid sloshing around inside?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 3rd, 2006 at 01:24 AM
ooh~oohhh we were shakin' it the other night...
and we did hear liquid...
hmmmmmmm...maybe it is ready then...

Well, thank~you very much Daniel...
thumbup
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 4th, 2006 at 01:52 AM
that looks like a un husked coconut to me..
My brother brought me one.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 4th, 2006 at 04:57 AM
Yes, we are going to attempt something this weekend we think...
Posted By: ShirlS Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 4th, 2006 at 11:30 PM
Weezie,

I am excited to hear how it went when you opened this thing up! Please let us know when you are done.
Posted By: papito Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 5th, 2006 at 12:38 AM
How To Crack A Coconut

Another Easy Way To Open A Coconut
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 5th, 2006 at 06:09 AM
Awwwwwwwww, darn it, we were going to find that machete we have... and do it that way, Mwhahahahaha kissies p
Now I gotta go find that clever......
Now who'd I give it to the last time they gave me a hard, er, uhhhh, thing to cut, yeah, that's it.. smile
Posted By: ShirlS Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 5th, 2006 at 10:26 AM
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh angell
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 5th, 2006 at 11:47 PM
did ya get it ??? My mom used to buy them for me when I was little..(un-husked) I remember she used a hammer and screw driver to make a hole in it to get the milk out, worked great! Then she just bashed it with the hammer!
Posted By: Patty S Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 7th, 2006 at 03:13 AM
We're waiting, Weezie! The people want to know! lala
Posted By: Handbright Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 8th, 2006 at 05:52 PM
That is a coconut for sure. The only way to really "grow" this guy from "seed" is to find yourself some red algae and soak, soak soak!
I have two of these trees in the far back corner of my yard, they blew over during the hurricane, and then straightened out, so they look like the ones you see at the beach.
When they fall off the tree some people here take them down to the beach and dump them in the water. There is a crab that saws away at the tough shell, and completely eats the flesh.
The nuts that make it, usually end up at another island somewhere and sprout!
Ever hear of coir mats? That's one of the products that the folks who grow and harvest these nuts do with that tough hairy fibre that is found under that hard shell.
Your mom sounds like shes a lot of fun! Wonder if she lives near me!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 9th, 2006 at 01:53 AM
I have just loved all the great info
EVERYONE HAS SENT ME...
This has been such a learning adventure for me..
Unfortunately, tryin' to get the "family" together all on one night has just now some how
eluded us..but we will get there,
I just know we will...

****Handbright,
Your mom sounds like shes a lot of fun! Wonder if she lives near me!
My mother is alot of fun, and she lives next door to me........ but was visiting Florida
for a bunch of weeks when she found the coconut.
She had a great time.. and it was a nice little place she stayed and would love to go back, but...
it's alot of $$$$, so she's saving for next year... thumbup
Posted By: Patty S Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - March 15th, 2006 at 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Handbright:
Ever hear of coir mats? That's one of the products that the folks who grow and harvest these nuts do with that tough hairy fibre that is found under that hard shell.
When I got my Wriggly Wranch composting worm bins for Christmas, a "Coir bedding block" came with it. I never gave it any thought until you mentioned it here... the "brick" looking thing was Coconut fiber! thumbup
Posted By: Patty S Re: Weezie's Mom's Mystery Nut from Fla. - June 20th, 2006 at 03:38 AM
Hey Weezie, did you ever get your bunch together to crack this nut... or is it still on your list?! Duh

(If so, it must look a lot like MY list!) laugh
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]