A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: MaryReboakly hmmmysteries - August 4th, 2005 at 02:38 AM
This first one is a creeping vine-ish thing. It's dark green with shiny leaves (how descriptive is THAT?!)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

#2 grows kinda bushy like, not vine like laugh I'm batting a thousand here. It's in a shady area, & all that is coming from 1 stalk out of the ground.
[Linked Image]

Thanks wink
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: hmmmysteries - August 4th, 2005 at 02:46 AM
ooh I forgot one. Kind of not really a mystery. I know the smaller leaves are morning glory (right?), but there are other (bigger) leaves in there and I wanted to double check on them - wild grapes?

[Linked Image]

Oh and err umm if they are grapes, how do I know if I can eat them or not? I mean, are any grapes poisonous? shocked
Posted By: weezie13 Re: hmmmysteries - August 4th, 2005 at 04:12 AM
#1.Myrtle
#2.Catnip *looks like it to me*
#3. Duh
Posted By: Vada Re: hmmmysteries - August 4th, 2005 at 05:37 AM
#2 looks kinda like lantana to me.
Posted By: Vada Re: hmmmysteries - August 4th, 2005 at 05:40 AM
Sorry, meant to put a link in there, let me try again....... Lantana
Posted By: saic Re: hmmmysteries - August 4th, 2005 at 07:55 AM
# 2 looks like Lemon Balm to me or some kind of mint plant (peppermint plant). When you touch the leaves does it smell like lemon or mint?

Lemon Balm
http://www.sallys-place.com/food/columns/gilbert/lemon_balm.htm
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: hmmmysteries - August 4th, 2005 at 07:59 AM
#1 vinca minor 'periwinkle' 'myrtle'

#2 I agree with mint family. Maybe 'deadnettle'

#3 I think is another in the morning glory family. It looks familiar, but I could never track it down again. Too many lef types.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: hmmmysteries - August 4th, 2005 at 08:07 AM
Alright Mary.....
Get out there and start squeezing that
mint.......and tell us what it smells like!!!!!
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: hmmmysteries - August 4th, 2005 at 10:39 AM
Way cool - I had to look up why creeping myrtle is called 'flower of death'. "The Italians placed garlands of the plant on the graves of infants, calling it the flower of death. During the Enlightenment in Europe, the French considered periwinkle an emblem of friendship." Interesting stuff! If ya like that kinda stuff of course wink

Hmmm Im thinking deadnettle (anyone sensing a theme here?) is the closest match to #2 - but I'll go out and sniff them leaves tomorrow anyhow! laugh

I've been watching that morning glory like a hawk, waiting for it to bloom - when it does, I'll be sure got get some pics so I can ask you all again to help me ID. Thanks! I'll report back about #2 tomorrow

Sweet dreams all! wink
Posted By: weezie13 Re: hmmmysteries - August 4th, 2005 at 10:42 AM
Hmmm Im thinking deadnettle (anyone sensing a theme here?) is the closest match to #2 - but I'll go out and sniff them leaves tomorrow anyhow!
No it doesn't look like dead nettle to me..
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: hmmmysteries - August 4th, 2005 at 10:50 AM
Hmmm well, I'll give it the scratch & sniff test and may be get a better picture -- Stay tuned!

Now I'm really going to bed! laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: hmmmysteries - August 4th, 2005 at 10:58 AM
Yeah, me too, just waitin' for laundry....

Get to bed now, so you can get up early and get out there in the mornin' and scratch will ya!
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: hmmmysteries - August 5th, 2005 at 03:22 AM
PEW! Well, it doesn't smell like mint at all - it's kinda fuzzy and I guess the closest thing I could think of it smells like is dry dirt. phewey! My partners said it smells like 'dirty old stinkin weed' after she got her nose uncrinkled laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Meg Re: hmmmysteries - August 5th, 2005 at 04:29 AM
LOL @ that image of crinkled noses. I was going to say, it doesn't look like my deadnettle, and I had that stuff all over my yard.

Now, it did look like it was in the mint family.. and let me tell you something Mary.. I rubbed & sniffed some different varieties of mint at the nursery I frequent.. and pheeeeeeew! did it stink! It didn't smell like mint to me at all! So.. who knows? wink laugh

Meg
Posted By: weezie13 Re: hmmmysteries - August 5th, 2005 at 04:55 AM
I'm stickin' with Catnip....

Have you ever smelled catnip before?

We may have to wait until it flowers....
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: hmmmysteries - August 5th, 2005 at 07:43 AM
laugh I forgot about the crinkled nose - that was a kodak moment laugh

Hmm may be it could be mint then! I do have a ton of spearmint and that smells minty to me so I guess I expected it would if it was in the mint family - I didn't know it wouldn't necessarily have to smell like mint.

Weezie, never smelled catnip except for the dried stuff - smell about the same? I'll have to get the baggie out and do a 'sniff test' LOL

This thingie is growing fairly fast - it appeared may be 3 weeks ago and is probably about a foot high now...but yeah I wanna know what it is so I'll let it flower if that's what it takes wink Just wish the ants weren't using it as cover to march up underneath the siding -still can't imagine what they're after in there. Duh
Posted By: LSRidgeCrandall Re: hmmmysteries - August 5th, 2005 at 08:33 AM
I'd go with the whole catnip thing. My daughter grows some for her cat and called it Skunk weed as a kid! It was so cute but we still think it smells like that!
Posted By: Gardencrazy Re: hmmmysteries - August 5th, 2005 at 12:13 PM
I have to agree also. It looks like catnip. Yes it does stink and it doesn't smell like mint. LOL
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: hmmmysteries - August 5th, 2005 at 01:06 PM
Well, tomorrow I'm gonna grab a leaf and smoosh it up and see what the cats do around it. They don't seem to bother it at all now, and they walk past it all the time as it's right on the corner outside our back door. I also just read that it supposedly deters ants - and we have a colony that's been running in up under the siding on that corner for a month or more now and we can't get rid of the #@%^(*%s!!! mad

It looks like catnip - but it sure doesn't seem to be working like it laugh I'll let you know what the cats think! wink
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: hmmmysteries - August 6th, 2005 at 10:50 AM
Welp, I did just that...grabbed a leaf and offered it to 2 of the cats - neither of which wanted anything to do with it. Duh Think I'll leave it till it flowers to see what it is - and 'I'll be back!' laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: hmmmysteries - August 6th, 2005 at 10:57 AM
Some cats have no affliction to that stuff..
Other's goooooo bonkers Duh

Dunno if it's true..
I know the seeds are way more hardy than a transplant????
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: hmmmysteries - August 6th, 2005 at 11:04 AM
Huh, that's interesting! It sure wasn't planted by me laugh so may be that's why? Ours usually go bonkers over it - nutcases - provide us with loads of comic relief laugh Stay tuned! wink
Posted By: Carly Re: hmmmysteries - August 8th, 2005 at 12:15 PM
Periwinkle
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]