A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: kennyso help please! - October 27th, 2006 at 04:46 AM
I picked, or rather was given a large handful of seed pods and I followed the person (a close friend, after school)and saw her mom gardening out front so I said hi, and when I was about to leave she handed me the seed pods. I asked her if she knew what they were even in Chinese but she said she has no idea. The pods are like very long daylily pods, and the foilage looks like daylily as well, but the seeds inside are not shiny and I am almost sure they are not daylily seeds, I collected daylilies before. Does anyone know, or can any offer suggestions as to what plants might have those daylily shaped leaves, I am thinking of wild iris but can't find a pic of the seed pod. Any help would be appreciated!
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: help please! - October 27th, 2006 at 05:35 AM
Kenny, take a look at the Iris seed pods shown HERE. Scroll down almost to the bottom of the page. Have you ruled out the other types of lilies?
Posted By: kennyso Re: help please! - October 27th, 2006 at 09:08 AM
Thanks for the pic rosie, but I don't think it's it...the pods were slimmer and the seeds don't look like the iris seeds that I saw at theseedsite.co.uk what other types of lilies are there? I am almost confident that they are not easter lilies or tiger lilies or lilies with leaves like those, I'm pretty sure thay are relatred to daylilies...possiblely by their leaves? I don't notice flowers that often unless they are in seed or unless they look really nice (like those multi coloured dahlias!)
Posted By: weezie13 Re: help please! - October 28th, 2006 at 12:19 AM
Do they sorta look like flat corn??
Posted By: weezie13 Re: help please! - October 28th, 2006 at 12:22 AM
Like this....
Yellow Flag Seed Pods

Yellow Flag assorted pictures of flowers/pods/seeds
Posted By: kennyso Re: help please! - October 28th, 2006 at 01:18 AM
No they're not yellow iris seeds, I have a packet of those sitting on my desk waiting to be sorted into my stash and I just planted some out today. I am 90% it's some type of iris now thanks weezie!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]