A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Triss Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - October 5th, 2006 at 07:49 AM
No Lynne, In looking for the rug online I found it at another site and it is a lot more turquoise than green and that is not the color we want in there.
Posted By: treelove Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - October 5th, 2006 at 11:49 PM
Triss! absolutely amazing project! Is your whole family helping you out? must be such fun working on this. IS your whole house like that, like a dream garden?
you are an inspiration!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - October 5th, 2006 at 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Triss:
No Lynne, In looking for the rug online I found it at another site and it is a lot more turquoise than green and that is not the color we want in there.
Oh, rats! It came across as such a nice green in that picture!

May I ask where else you saw it? I'm always looking for South Western decor...
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - October 6th, 2006 at 12:12 AM
Yes, everyone is helping with the project and no the whole house is not like that.... YET. I have hopes though. Dan is enjoying this project so much that he wants to continue the theme into the bedroom. Great for me cuz I love the fall colors and have wanted that in our room for a long time.

Lynne, I will send you the site.
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - October 20th, 2006 at 09:03 AM
We finally picked rugs. Decided to go with a very simple dark green. Also added in deep brown towels. I love both of the colors in there.

Here is the look along with 2 new plants I picked up today at WM. A Marginata Dracaena and a Croton.
[Linked Image]

And the other two plants I picked up. A China Doll and Snake Plant.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - October 22nd, 2006 at 12:50 AM
I like the dark green rug Triss! The room is looking great with the plants filling in!! Great Job!!!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - October 23rd, 2006 at 06:50 AM
That's a very nice shade of green, Triss - I like it alot! As matter of fact, I once had 2 winter coats that color - loved it! laugh thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - October 24th, 2006 at 01:13 AM
Thanks. Yet another weekend went by with no work on the bathroom. Eventually we will get the fence painted and once I get those last few plants in pots, it should be getting pretty close to done. I am going to put a string of battery operated Christmas lights interwoven in the lattice for a light source other than candles as well. I bet it will look great with all the reflections in there.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - October 24th, 2006 at 04:59 AM
The plants give it that extra special touch Triss!!!!
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - October 24th, 2006 at 05:15 AM
Thanks Penny, I love all the plants in there. The funny thing is that I am usually so grumpy in the mornings before a shower, but I go in there now and instantly relax cuz it is so pretty in the bathroom.
Posted By: chenno Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - October 24th, 2006 at 08:36 PM
Looking good triss;-) Like the color choices too.
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - November 12th, 2006 at 05:13 AM
Updating.

We spent several weeks not working on the bathroom. But we finally got the fence painted and I fixed up the counter how I like it now.

Here is the entire counter.
[Linked Image]

The left side with a rubber tree, African violet, and ivy.
[Linked Image]

And the right side with a China Doll and Mother in Laws Tongue.
[Linked Image]

This are is loaded with gifts from my friends here at the Forum. The beautiful box and wind chime from Diane, the ivy from Angie, the Wild Willy in the planter from Cindy plus the one hanging from her store, the AV from Sarah and the white flower keeper from Loz. I also bought the fountain from Loz through Avon.

Pretty cool huh!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - November 12th, 2006 at 05:24 AM
That's so pretty, Triss!
My bathroom is blah...I took everything down about 2 years ago and packed it up...and it's still in storage.

I want a bright cheery bathroom like yours! eek
Posted By: Merme Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - November 12th, 2006 at 05:25 AM
Trissy ~ how nice!

You all must be so happy with it!

Merme
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - November 12th, 2006 at 05:32 AM
Very cool, Triss!

I really like what you've done with it all.
Do the kids use this bathroom also, or do they have their own? Little hands can get in trouble with all that wonderful stuff in there!

Does the skylight open in there, or does is stay pretty humid?
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - November 12th, 2006 at 05:47 AM
Thanks!

The skylight does not open and it is not overly humid. Just very bright!
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - November 12th, 2006 at 05:48 AM
Oh and the kids do on occasion use the bathroom for a bubble bath. They like the big tub. They are pretty good about hand off the breakables though.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - November 12th, 2006 at 06:22 AM
I love it Triss.. Would you say your done now or may just a few more plants?? lala wink
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - November 12th, 2006 at 06:44 AM
Not done. Dan has this idea to make two very large planters. Kinda like walls. One to go between the sink and tub, one on wheels to go in front of the tub. Both about a foot taller than the counter and with space to be able to put more plants.

I also still have to do the top of the linen closets and some kind of hanging plant behind the toilet. Dan would also like a vine on the back of the toilet to be able to twine throught he fence.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - November 12th, 2006 at 07:16 AM
clp Well that should keep you busy thru the winter then !!
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - November 12th, 2006 at 07:23 AM
At the rate we are going, we will need a new project for winter. This one went way faster than I thought it would.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - November 12th, 2006 at 11:56 AM
the bathroom looks terrific!! and it was a family project too...how cool!!
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 04:59 AM
It has been a while since I have done an update. For my birthday I received a bunch of new plants from my hubby. Finally getting them put where they are supposed to be instead of just sitting in the room. Also potted up a few things that have been waiting.

This is the Black Pagoda Lipstick plant. I lost a lot of leaves in the transplant but believe it or not it looks better than it did in a WAY too small pot.
[Linked Image]

And the overall look of the mirror side of the room. We added a little fancy ribbon over the top of the mirror that has a vinelike pattern and the lipstick plant is hanging to the left.
[Linked Image]

And a look over the tub with the lipstick plant to the right.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 05:01 AM
A view from the tub of my corner unit that is sitting over the faucett.
[Linked Image]

And the new plant on the tub step, a cyclamen and the newly potted Christmas cacti which is still putting out blooms.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 05:17 AM
Looks very nice Triss! thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 05:48 AM
Thanks!

And the last one for today. Got the philo potted up and hung. It is in the corner above the toilet. We removed a lot from that area that was on the walls to make it look cleaner.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DowntoEarth Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 05:55 AM
I just LOVE your jungle! Great Job!!!! clp
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 06:41 AM
You need a sign that says, welcome to the jungle! laugh thumbup

Love it, it looks great! thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 06:55 AM
I have a "Welcome to my Garden" sign. Will that do?

I just love it in there. I burn candles constantly and incense and it is so peaceful. Dan put a 25 watt bulb in the overhead fixture and it makes it so serene there in the mornings.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 06:59 AM
Welcome to my Garden works too! thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 07:09 AM
I do not have that yet. I want music in there and I also want a fountain that I can turn on for more than a couple of minutes.
Posted By: DowntoEarth Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 08:11 AM
Yeah, the nature sound machine in the bath is a GREAT idea idea Loz! But then she may NEVER want to leave! Awww, who cares! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 08:16 AM
I already never want to leave! I finally got all of the dirt out of the tub and I have an appointment for a nice long soak later on this evening. A bunch of candles and a couple glasses of wine, I might actually sleep well tonight.
Posted By: DowntoEarth Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 08:19 AM
Oh yes, that sounds wonderful! thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 08:24 AM
With a small hidden tv and microwave you could live in there! laugh I'd lock myself in for quite a while. thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 08:33 AM
No, not TV, then I would never get Dan outta there. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 9th, 2007 at 11:27 PM
It has the look of a spa in there Triss....i love it!!!!!
Posted By: chenno Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 10th, 2007 at 04:22 AM
I love it too Triss thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 10th, 2007 at 07:38 AM
Thanks you two. I just added a pot of paperwhites. I had forgotten I got them and found the box of bulbs sprouting. So in a pot they went and are on the counter now.
Posted By: Tonya Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 10th, 2007 at 09:17 PM
I just adore your bathroom!!! I can't wait to start having plants in mine! Right now there is no natural light in there, so I am afraid of killing what I put in there....
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 13th, 2007 at 08:47 PM
Wow it looks great Triss!!!! And Yep I spotted the Willys! thumbup laugh laugh a must have in the mist of the jungle for sure!!!
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 14th, 2007 at 03:29 AM
Tonya, the kids bathroom is like that too. I would love plants in there as well but it is not gonna happen.
Posted By: ksgardnr Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 14th, 2007 at 04:26 AM
Triss, & Dan, you have done a WONDERFUL job on your bathroom! thumbup My husband saw the pics while I was looking & he was saying "wow!" Our bathroom is too small for all that, & you really inspire me to tear out some walls & make a jungle/bathroom! cool
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 14th, 2007 at 05:31 AM
Jody, do you have light in there? If so then just go for it, no matter the space, a jungle can be achieved!
Posted By: ksgardnr Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 15th, 2007 at 11:18 AM
yeah I have light but not much, and it doesn't get sunny on that side of the house, the north side! And there is tile on the wall so can't put up the trellis like you did,but hmmmmmmmmmm, but I could hang them from the ceiling in there, just close to the window! You are giving me ideas! thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 15th, 2007 at 11:22 AM
You could mount a trellis next to the wall but off the ceiling with a 4x4 on the floor to hold it there as well. And plant hooks in the ceiling work as well. Can you show me a pic of your space?
Posted By: ksgardnr Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 15th, 2007 at 11:27 AM
Hi Triss wavey my usb port isn't working,so can't load any pics yet, but I was thinking of the plant hooks in the ceiling, like you said but don't want anything on the floor, we just redid the floor with the floating wood floor. I could put trellis above the tile the tile is only 3/4 of the way up, then there's this hideous wallpaper I am taking down this summer. I just don't have a lot of space, I use the breakfast nook for all my houseplants. We want to tear out walls & make the bathroom bigger, but don't know when that'll happen! laugh
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 15th, 2007 at 11:43 AM
Oh yes, if you had two braces for the trellis at the top and just above the tile, it could even hang down over the tile. We only have 2 2x2's supporting our trellis. I am working on finding candles that I can attach to the trellis now but have not found much I like so far.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 15th, 2007 at 11:56 AM
thats sooooo beauitful thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 15th, 2007 at 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Triss:
Tonya, the kids bathroom is like that too. I would love plants in there as well but it is not gonna happen.
compact flourscents and grow lights. work wonders and easy on the power bill!
Posted By: Triss Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 16th, 2007 at 01:58 AM
That is what Dan said too, so one of these days we may get something in there, that room is so blah.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Winter Bathroom Project II-picture heavy - January 16th, 2007 at 01:04 PM
yep, were i work they only use the flourscent lights, and the plants do well in the offices with no windows. they buy em cause they last longer than regular bulbs, they cost a bit more but worth it. one of these days im gonna get off my cheap butt and buy some. wink
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]