A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Curious Nick Need help identifying a Flowering Tree - June 22nd, 2006 at 05:28 AM
Hello all,

In my other posts, everyone knows that I am in the process of buying a house. Well, I talked about what i thought was a dead Lilac Bush. Well, today was the first time we'd seen the tree/bush in some time, and well, it's not Lilac. It has flowered and it is absolutely beautiful and very fragrant. The flowers are white, there are 4 petals with yellow/white stamen in the middle. It kinda looks like a flowering Dogwood, with the exception of the notches at the tip of the petals. I did not take the camera this time because we were not planning on going to the house. But I will take pictures next time we go over, in case no one has a clue by then.

Thanks a lot, you guys really are a big help.

Nick
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Need help identifying a Flowering Tree - June 22nd, 2006 at 05:54 AM
The picture would really be a great help.... thumbup
Posted By: johnCT Re: Need help identifying a Flowering Tree - June 22nd, 2006 at 06:18 AM
Nick, Sounds like a Kousa Dogwood. They are flowering right now in zone 6.
Posted By: Pianolady Re: Need help identifying a Flowering Tree - June 22nd, 2006 at 05:52 PM
Sure sounds like a dogwood to me. Here's a pic of the flowers on my red-twig dogwood. Here in zone 5, it was done flowering long ago though.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Curious Nick Re: Need help identifying a Flowering Tree - June 24th, 2006 at 06:15 AM
Thanks everyone. My new neighbor told me i was a dogwood as well...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Need help identifying a Flowering Tree - June 24th, 2006 at 07:31 AM
there are numerous types of dogwood, some look they aren't tho...i have one in my backyard, too (for years i thought it was a box elder, until just a few weeks ago smile )
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]