A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: plantingnewb whats this ones name? - begonia - September 25th, 2006 at 05:04 AM
Could someone please id this for me & tell me if it's a perrinial(sp?) or annual.
Thanks
Tammy new mystery
Posted By: alankhart Re: whats this ones name? - begonia - September 25th, 2006 at 05:10 AM
What you have is a begonia, an annual that grows easily from cuttings.
Posted By: netty Re: whats this ones name? - begonia - September 25th, 2006 at 06:40 AM
Yup, I'm going with Begonia too!
Posted By: Carly Re: whats this ones name? - begonia - September 26th, 2006 at 06:26 AM
Nice - funny I should click into this one - they have that same plant growing in the planters outside the library. I've already been picking deadheads.
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: whats this ones name? - begonia - September 26th, 2006 at 06:08 PM
Tammy, assuming you are planning to overwinter that Begonia indoors, if you'll cut it way back and get rid of all that leggy growth, it will come back nicely and make a much nicer shaped plant.

I have several pots of annual Begonias that I place in the shade outside during the summer then whack back to about 4" - 5" when I bring them in for the winter. By the following spring, they are full and bushy and ready for their trip outdoors again. wink
Posted By: plantingnewb Re: whats this ones name? - begonia - September 27th, 2006 at 06:21 AM
TulsaRose,
Someone was getting rid of it, so I took it.
I'm not sure why, cause I have never overwintered any of my annuals.
I guess my new obsession with gardening has taken over.
So, would it be ok in the garage near a window or would that be too cold?
Do I need to do anything else besides cut it down?
Thanks,
Tammy
Posted By: weezie13 Re: whats this ones name? - begonia - September 27th, 2006 at 08:08 AM
Tammy,
Originally posted by plantingnewb:

Someone was getting rid of it, so I took it.

So, would it be ok in the garage near a window or would that be too cold?
I rescue plants too, and there's nothing wrong with it..
And it's a good learning curve for you...

I personally would only put that type of plant in a "heated" garage...It's very sensitive to cold... so, keep it warm...

P/S
I guess my new obsession with gardening has taken over.
There is no better obsession.. that is for sure.. thumbup
Posted By: plantingnewb Re: whats this ones name? - begonia - September 27th, 2006 at 08:14 AM
So...I don't have a heated garage.
I can talk the man into building some compost bins, but not heating the garage. laugh
How about the basement?
Would it need to be near a window?
Tammy
Posted By: weezie13 Re: whats this ones name? - begonia - September 27th, 2006 at 08:19 AM
Originally posted by plantingnewb:
How about the basement?
Would it need to be near a window?
Tammy
As long as the basement has some kind of warmth..
*I do over winter my house plants in my basement* and it's not heated, other than our house furnace and 2 hot water tanks and I use a shop/florescent lights and a small outside window.
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: whats this ones name? - begonia - September 27th, 2006 at 06:18 PM
I bring mine in the house...they make beautiful house plants to enjoy over the long, cold winter. wink
Posted By: plantingnewb Re: whats this ones name? - begonia - September 30th, 2006 at 08:49 PM
Ok, so I will bring it in the house.
The basement is heated so I guess I will put it down there and keep an eye on it.
I really don't want it up in the living room or kitchen since it doesn't look so great plus I'm running out of room. Will it bloom again?

I just brought in 2 hibiscus one is about 5ft. the other almost 4ft tall. The big one doesn't fit in the only space in the living room with a window. Also the space is right next to a fireplace, which I didn't think would be very good for the already stressed plant.
It didn't bloom all summer. My only option is to prune it down about about a foot. Maybe it will fit then, but I can't seem to muster up the courage to do it. All the branches have about 6in. of new growth. Help! What do I do? Duh
Right now it is sitting in the middle of the family room, annoying my family. laugh
Sorry, got off the original subject.
Tammy
Posted By: plantingnewb Re: whats this ones name? - begonia - November 12th, 2006 at 02:39 PM
TulsaRose
Thanks for the advice.
I ended up dividing the plant and putting one in my kitchen window and the other is hanging in the living room.
They are both growing nicely and blooming.
I was so proud of myself, clp since most of my plant experiments usually die.
Hopefully they can live until spring, then outside they go.
Tammy
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: whats this ones name? - begonia - November 13th, 2006 at 07:41 AM
That's great, Tammy. wink Don't forget to water as needed and fertilize about once a month over the winter. Your Begonias should perform well for you.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]