A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Susan F. Black walnut trees... - February 19th, 2007 at 09:32 PM
I need some suggestions for climbing flowering vines to put next to an arbor by the entrance to the woods. There are many black walnut trees, so the choice is limited. Also, the area does not get sun. These walnut trees are presenting a big challenge to my gardening enjoyment!! Thanks... smile dev
Posted By: alankhart Re: Black walnut trees... - February 19th, 2007 at 10:08 PM
The big problem, other than the juglone produced by the walnut trees, is the lack of sun. There are several vines that can tolerate the juglone, but they all need sun, i.e., morning glory, clematis and wisteria. Virginia creeper is an option. It doesn't have much in the way of blooms, but it does have pretty blue berries afterward.
Posted By: Susan F. Re: Black walnut trees... - February 19th, 2007 at 11:12 PM
I guess the best option for me is to put a couple of large pots next to the arbor---then I will only have to deal with which climbing vines do not need too much sun-regardless of the juglone problem.
Posted By: lavandula girl Re: Black walnut trees... - February 20th, 2007 at 12:47 AM
Trumpet vine does well for me, near our big black walnut. Did you definitely want a perennial? Because purple hyacinth bean might do well, too, but you'd have to replant in spring. Also, tartarian honeysuckle (Lonica tartarica) will definitely grow under the canopy of a black walnut.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]