A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: badplanter Giant pumpkin...another mis-classification - December 10th, 2006 at 05:07 AM
Not sure what type of pumpkin it is, or if it is considered to be a pumpkin at all!
It was larger than a normal pumpkin, and a paler-orange color tone than a normal pumpkin. The seeds are a brown with a white stripe around it. The seeds are very thick.
I'll get a pic of the seeds, but i can't of the pumpkin--I composted it already shocked laugh

I was thinking Atlantic Giant pumpkins.. but they grow to be hundreds of pounds. This one was about 50 pounds.

Any ideas? Duh thumbup

--Mark--
Posted By: badplanter Re: Giant pumpkin...another mis-classification - December 10th, 2006 at 05:15 AM
This is the best pic I could get [ :rolleyes: ]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Giant pumpkin...another mis-classification - December 10th, 2006 at 10:36 AM
Atlantic Giant's do grow to be 100lb'ers..
but if they only get "X" amounts of nutrients.
they grow to be smaller sizes.. and also have smaller seeds..

They do look what remember mine to look like...
Posted By: badplanter Re: Giant pumpkin...another mis-classification - December 10th, 2006 at 11:08 AM
thumbup

I'll wait 'till tomorrow, and if the vote's stil lleaning towards Atlantic Giant, that's what I'll classify it as! laugh
I was suprised with how large these were--I never thought they could get bigger! thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Giant pumpkin...another mis-classification - December 10th, 2006 at 11:43 AM
Yes, I grew some the year before last..
I had one 100lb'er.. and one that was about 95lbs. *that one we didnt' carve*
Then I grew one *same plant* that was about 50lb's and another one that was probably 40lbs..
All were the same plant/plantings but each had seeds the size to according how big they grew..
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]