A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: kennyso Is this a burning bush? - September 20th, 2006 at 06:49 AM
These are pics from my cell, still can't get my hands on a dig. camera, sorry if the pics a bit blurry. The leaves are starting to have a tint of red on them and there are buds on them, starting to make me wonder if it's a burning bush:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 20th, 2006 at 07:14 AM
My mom has a huge burning bush and although I wouldn't say 100 percent yes, it looks just like that.
Posted By: netty Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 20th, 2006 at 07:32 AM
Yep, that's a Burning Bush! That's a big one. I have the dwarf variety.
Posted By: kennyso Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 20th, 2006 at 07:34 AM
Thanks for a speedy reply! I was looking for a burning bush believe it or not LOL and I didn't even know I had one in my own backyard! Although I must admit, I don't recall seeing it turn into a deep deep before!
Posted By: Thornius Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 20th, 2006 at 08:18 AM
That sure is a burning bush, Kenny! Ihave two huge ones i n fron t of my hous and a 2 1/2 meter high "U" shaped hedge on the island of my drive. Heck, just about EVERY house in my subdivision has at least one GIGANTIC Burning Bush in the yard.

P.S. Birds love to hide and play in them!
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 26th, 2006 at 07:09 AM
Help, why is this plant called a burning bush?
Posted By: kennyso Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 26th, 2006 at 08:47 AM
rosepetal, the leaves turn bright red in fall! So beautiful!
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 27th, 2006 at 10:19 PM
I think I've found what I've been looking for. thumbup thumbup
I've seen this bush when it turns red in the fall and often wondered what it was called. It's one beautiful bush. Would love to see yours when it turns. flw flw
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 27th, 2006 at 10:27 PM
Rosepetal,

It almost has no "gardening value" for landscaping like during the summer months..IMHO.
It's just a bush..

But come fall, it's colors are just beautiful..
Especially more so when everything is turning brown and dryin' up....
Posted By: johnCT Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 28th, 2006 at 12:00 AM
Burning invasive bush. :rolleyes:
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 28th, 2006 at 12:53 AM
I think we had this Duh

I have two bushes here, and so far I haven't seen much, actually my spirea is more invasive.

But I thought you'd had them get outta control..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 28th, 2006 at 04:25 AM
My moms burning bush is HUGE and it's never become invasive with babies growing around it or anything and she doesn't have mulch down to stop the seeds from getting in the dirt. With that said I won't say she's never ever had any babies grow around the bottom, but hers has never become invasive. The baby I got from her 3 years ago is still pretty small right now. The color in the fall is breathtaking! flw
Posted By: dodge Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 28th, 2006 at 06:42 AM
It looks like a Fushia Plant to me, Not a burning bush......

At least mine doesnt look like that.

dodge gab
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 30th, 2006 at 11:11 PM
you can tell for sure if it has square stems.

they will not get great autumn color unless they are in alot of sun. they need sunlight to produce the sugars that cause they brilliant autumn red.
Posted By: kennyso Re: Is this a burning bush? - September 30th, 2006 at 11:28 PM
Thanks RH, that I think solves the mystery as to why it might not have so much colour, it's in front of a hugh pine or fir and it does get shaded out sometimes, I have pruned it this year and am noticing some red leaves on it!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]