A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: AgnusDeiHmschl Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 8th, 2007 at 07:21 PM
I have a brush pile in our backyard that I'd like to cover up with some kind of flowering vine. I'm hoping there is some variety out there that I can just toss some seeds out and it will thrive without being too invasive.
I live in zone 8-9, the area is in full sun. Lots of rich organic matter underneath the brush pile!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 8th, 2007 at 08:02 PM
hyacinth bean vine, passion flower, chocolate vine, kiwi fruit vine, various clematis, kangaroo vine, dutchman's pipe, velvet bean, coral vine, american bittersweet,
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 8th, 2007 at 09:46 PM
And dear old morning glory
Posted By: AgnusDeiHmschl Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 8th, 2007 at 10:02 PM
These are great suggestions, off to Google them now!

Thanks,
JoAnn
Posted By: kmSedna1333 Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 8th, 2007 at 10:10 PM
well I am not sure what zone that is but think it is the same was where I am. How about the jasmines? Esp Confederate and carolina jasmine. They are quick to fill any area and are beautiful and smell good. Oh guess Pink Jasmine would also be a good choice, and they are perenniels as well.
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 10th, 2007 at 05:58 PM
check out the vines in family Bignoniacaea
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 11th, 2007 at 01:28 AM
those are NICE rugby!!! do you know if they are perennial in zone 6?
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 12th, 2007 at 01:39 AM
Are they related to the trumpet vine?
Flower looks similiar.

My sister had one and it crawled up the antenna onto the house an almost choked it ..ha ha

They trimmed it yearly.

shk
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 12th, 2007 at 07:47 AM
I love Honeysuckle luv because it smells heavenly and when the wind blows it fills the yard with such a sweet scent smile , but the flowers are small! Probably my favorite vining flower is the Clematis. wink Here's a picture of one of mine that is planted on the southeast side of house.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 12th, 2007 at 01:17 PM
Patches that is adorable........

I have pink like that..But it never is that nice.
my sister in Ohio is great with those, on arches .
You would never believe how big they got.
She had many colors.......Sadly they dont bloom all summer do they?
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 12th, 2007 at 01:44 PM
Is that ever pretty...love it!!!
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 12th, 2007 at 06:34 PM
Barb, the Nelly Moser will usually bloom during the spring and early summer and then it blooms again toward the fall, but it's not as prolific at that time. frown

Thanks, Penny! kissies I love it too, luv and I just bought another one just like it this morning. wink smile
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 12th, 2007 at 07:07 PM
patches

thanks....
My sister gave me a blue one last year ..Hope it survived the winter..

We are to get snow again for the weekend.. Guesss
Illinois will too.;o(

b
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 12th, 2007 at 07:13 PM
Geesh, Barb, I know it's supposed to get colder this coming week-end, frown but I didn't hear anything about snow. eek It's beautiful outside today!!! flw flw flw
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 12th, 2007 at 07:18 PM
patches ...

Yes it is here too..Almost 50 ..
The news said colder and snow.

I have lots of bulbs to set out and want to see it thaw.;o)

I have many plants going in the upstairs hallway,, they wanna go outside.;o)

b
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 13th, 2007 at 01:48 AM
Geesh, Barb, I guess I better try to catch the 10:00 news and weather tonight, so I can find out what to expect. Duh I'll be happy if it stays nice for a few more days of my Spring Break flw because this is the first time in a couple of years that I've been able to work outside during my time-off! wink wink
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 13th, 2007 at 01:09 PM
patches

Hope for you to succeed ......Outdoors.. It is good for a vaction that lasts all year.

Now they are saying 60 degrees for 2 days then 29 for 2 .??????????//

b
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 13th, 2007 at 04:08 PM
Thanks, Barb!

It's 72 degrees right now and they're predicting a high of 80 for today and 76 for tomorrow. We may get some thundershowers on Thursday, so it's looking like the God is going to be good to me during Spring Break.
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 13th, 2007 at 04:18 PM
patches

Put them shorts on and go out and soak all the sun up..
b ;o)
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 13th, 2007 at 05:29 PM
Barb, I've already been out washing windows and it's gorgeous. thumbup
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 13th, 2007 at 05:39 PM
Golly gee whiz,

I was out raking some grass and picking tulip tree seeds, I didnt know I had.. Ha ha

Never tried them, but some wanted them..
b
Posted By: MLN Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 13th, 2007 at 05:51 PM
I have three clematis vines trained to trellises and I just love them. The do go into a rest period during the hot part of summer but otherwise put on a nice show almost all summer. When I fertilize mine, I add just a wee bit of SuperThrive and, boy, does it ever make a difference! The flowers get sooo big and beautiful.
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 13th, 2007 at 05:54 PM
mln

WHAT IS supertrive?

Fertilizer?
Wher did you get it ..Must be acid???????

Barb
Posted By: MLN Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 15th, 2007 at 07:14 PM
SuperThrive is a mix of hormones and vitamins for plants and works VERY well. Wish I had taken pictures of my giant Shasta daisys I grew with it last year--they got up to about 3 feet tall clp and bloomed profusely! You can buy it at Wal Mart. I noticed our Wal Mart already has it this year. It's a small bottle (very concentrated) attached to a cardboard back.
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 15th, 2007 at 07:27 PM
mln

Thanks .will check it out next visit.

Yes photos would be lovely to see.

barb
Posted By: dirt in my diamonds Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 16th, 2007 at 01:46 PM
My clematis only bloomed for a few days last year and then the wind blew all of the petals off. It's in the shadier part of the yard though and I'm not sure if it's one that does well in the shade (was here when we moved in.)

It only had a few little flowers too. I think I will try that fertilizer on it this year to see what happens!

'Manda
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 16th, 2007 at 02:04 PM
My one clematis is in full sun an does the best.
I am wishing mine were better.

barb
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 17th, 2007 at 08:25 AM
My 'Nellie Moser' Clematis is in full sun and it is beautiful! Duh I just planted the 'Fireworks' Clematis this year in full sun, so I'm anxious to see how it does. wink Duh :rolleyes:
Posted By: MLN Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 17th, 2007 at 10:46 AM
I have one on the east side of my house, one on the south and one on the west. They all did well but started doing VERY well after I began putting SuperThrive on them. I've used in on shrubs that were doing poorly in this yucky clay soil I have and they improved dramatically too wink I swear by that stuff now! It really does make a differance.
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 17th, 2007 at 01:45 PM
Here we go with super trive...Have to got Walmart again.

I never want to , it is too huge an I get tired of the floor walks..ha ha

Thanks ..I hope to win that war on clematis.
ANyone do seeds on them? Mine wont grow.

b
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 17th, 2007 at 02:55 PM
Good Ole Nellie grows for me.

Only.

barb
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 17th, 2007 at 07:35 PM
Oh, Barb, I hear you!!! wink They are building a new Super Wal-Mart here. frown It's going to be huge and take forever just to get from one end to the other. eek I'm sure going to miss the old one, which really wasn't that old. Duh Geesh, with the present one I can run in and get everything I need in 15 minutes, unless I get side-tracked in the garden section. laugh laugh

Actually, I've never tried to grow any Clematis from seeds, but I usually don't do a lot with seed. frown I'm getting braver and trying more of them this year. wink
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 17th, 2007 at 07:52 PM
Patches,

I like the old one better also..Now in the new one, all the ladys dress like they are off to hollywood......
Old style was jeans and fun.....However the customers are still jeans and work clothes.

Just have to go from one end to the other if you forget something...I do like the Self check out.

barb
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 17th, 2007 at 08:14 PM
Oh geesh, I don't need any Hollywood type clothes :rolleyes: because I've always been a jeans person. wink I guess the Self-Check will be nice since I use them at the supermarkets we have here and they do seem to go a lot faster. clp
Posted By: dodge Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 17th, 2007 at 11:18 PM
patches

watch the self check outs also...I caught them marking doubles when I bought only one.

They have tricks too.....
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Need suggestions on flowering vines. - March 17th, 2007 at 11:37 PM
Oh, Geesh! eek Thanks for warning me kissies because I never thought about that. Guess I need to be a little more careful when I use the Self-Checkout at the grocery store. I usually have so many items I probably wouldn't even notice a few extra dollars on the bill. eek

Actually, the first time I ever used the Self-Check aisle I was at a Super Wal-Mart and went in to get some glue and a hose nozzle. Well, some bells or something went off and the screen said a supervisor would be coming. Geesh, I thought for sure I broke it. frown Come to find out, the glue I bought required an age check by a supervisor but she took one look at me and said she didn't need an I.D. laugh laugh
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]