A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: saic Shrub ID ? Camellia UPDATE with Pics - August 4th, 2005 at 02:33 AM
I am new to this site & need some help identifying a shrub. It is about 2 years old (very small when I received it). It is about 1 foot high with silvery green leaves. I keep pulling out suckers that spring up. So far it has not bloomed & I am not sure if it is supposed to. I was told that it looks like a Camellia. The leaf does look like a Camellia but I think I am to far north (zone 4) for that. Any suggestions will help. I want to move the shrub but want to make sure I move it to the correct spot.

Thanks in advance for your help smile
saic

Here is some pics - sorry I wasn't able to before. HOpefully it works [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Shrub ID ? Camellia UPDATE with Pics - August 4th, 2005 at 02:45 AM
evergreen? "suckers" from rhizomes? leaf size? leaf arrangement on branch?
Posted By: saic Re: Shrub ID ? Camellia UPDATE with Pics - August 4th, 2005 at 03:16 AM
Please see updated post.

smile
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: Shrub ID ? Camellia UPDATE with Pics - August 29th, 2005 at 08:16 AM
wavey hi saic ~
your photos look very similar to a shrub that i grow,
do you think it could be an eleagnus??
granted, i'm in zone 8 and i'm not sure of the range of this plant,
but, the silvery leaf, the almost fuzzy brown stems, the tendency to have many stems . . .
all characteristics that make me think, "hmmm, could be".
there are a number of varieties, but maybe eleagnus pungens or eleagnus x ebbingei?
Posted By: saic Re: Shrub ID ? Camellia UPDATE with Pics - August 30th, 2005 at 08:04 AM
your photos look very similar to a shrub that i grow,
do you think it could be an eleagnus??
Hi Zuzu's Petals wavey

You are right. It is an Elaeagnus Commutata "Silver Berry". I finally got in touch with the person who gave me the shrub. I am anxious to see the berries. Do you have an idea how old the shrub has to be before it gets the berries?

Thanks for your help!
saic smile
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: Shrub ID ? Camellia UPDATE with Pics - August 30th, 2005 at 11:15 AM
Duh . . .??
Posted By: saic Re: Shrub ID ? Camellia UPDATE with Pics - August 31st, 2005 at 09:31 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by zuzu's petals:
<strong> Duh

Your E.pungens Maculata sounds great. I love shrubs/flowers that smell nice. It is such a treat to go into you garden & have the smell wafting on the air.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Shrub ID ? Camellia UPDATE with Pics - September 1st, 2005 at 07:17 AM
Yayyyyyyyyyyyy Zuzu's Petals!!!
Congrats on solving the mystery!!

Thanks bunches...

We just love it when members can
come together and help one another!!! kissies gab
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]